• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

zenbot

The log is so close to being great but it's not quite there. Zap is part of the problem in that it's just straight up better, but I'm not sure how you address that without nerfing zap into the ground (e.g. making goblins unzappable) or making the log overpowered (which it almost certainly would be if it could target air). Maybe if you made it not do enough damage to kill minions, but then it couldn't kill princess, and that's one of the few things it has over zap right now. I guess I'm saying I'm glad I don't design games for a living.

Kioshen

Balance update is coming on the 19th.

Giant damage decreased by 5%
Rage Cost decreased to 2
speed effect decreased to 30%
duration decreased by 2 sec

lumberjack rage has the same adjustments
mirror now mirror cards 1 level higher than it's own
lightning stun for 0.5s
log knocks back all ground troops
Bomber hit point decreased by 2%
damage increased by 2%

Dazzler

Balance update is coming on the 19th.

Giant damage decreased by 5%
Rage Cost decreased to 2
speed effect decreased to 30%
duration decreased by 2 sec

lumberjack rage has the same adjustments
mirror now mirror cards 1 level higher than it's own
lightning stun for 0.5s
log knocks back all ground troops
Bomber hit point decreased by 2%
damage increased by 2%

Can't see this shifting the meta a huge amount

I'm still going to run Giant/Poison and Lumberjack

hollomat

Banned
Wish they nerfed poison. Something really needs to be done about it either nerf the range or the stun effect or change it so once a troop is outside of poison it immediately stops the effects of poison.

I'm also surprised they didn't give Royal giant a damage boost or anything. It's use rate has dropped drastically after the nerf.

Still no sign of the increased rate of legendaries the promised a month and a half ago or the much needed tournament changes.

I can definitely see decks being built around log and bowler now completely focused on knockback.

Alur

Like I said in clan chat, doesn't really seem like much of a meta shifting balance patch. Giant will still be good. Mirror changes are interesting.

The Lumberjack change is strange to me. He isn't even that widely used, but he still got nerfed thanks to the Rage changes.

That's a great way to buff Rage and nerf LJ. Rage was never used at all, and LJ needed a nerf somehow. I really like this change.

Mirror being a +1 is a great change but it won't shift the meta. Lightning is neat.

Rest is meh.

Agent

Update Sneak Peak #1:

Two new chests. Legendary and Epic

Legendary Chest: Contains a Legendary Card from any Arena! It can randomly drop after a battle and is not arena dependent. It can also randomly show up on the shop for 500 gems.
Epic Chest: Contains only Epic Cards! Same as Legendary chest, can randomly drop or be randomly bought in the shop for 10,000 gold.

Also:

Reddit exclusive info: We're also adding "Arena Packs" to the Shop, which are special one-time offers available upon reaching a new Arena! If you are currently in Arena 9, you will have access to all prior arena packs.
Forum exclusive info: - We're also adding special offer card stacks to the Shop for newly released cards, to help you get up and running when they're released!

https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/update-sneak-peeks-3

Video about it on Orange Juice YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSmM3N669Eo&feature=youtu.be

hollomat

Banned
Edit: should've watched the video first. Legendary chest costs 500 gems and contains 1 legendary card and nothing else. Currently it's 40k gold or 2000 gems to buy a single legendary from the shop so that's pretty good. A 75% discount with the caveat you don't know what legendary you will get.

Epic chests costs 10k gold and contains 10 epics.

Both can be won from battles but the odds are currently unknown and it's not known if they're in the rotation.

Seems like a really positive change, especially the epic chest. I have 60k gold and 1000 gems saved up so I'll definitely be buying a few of each chests. I currently have lvl 12 commons, but only a few epics I can even lvl to 4, so this epic chest is very needed.

thy_

Edit: should've watched the video first. Legendary chest is only available in the shop, costs 500 gems and contains 1 legendary card and nothing else. Currently it's 40k gold or 2000 gems to buy a single legendary from the shop so that's pretty good. A 75% discount with the caveat you don't know what legendary you will get.
You can win them from battle. Only question is, if they are part of the standard 240 chest cycle or if they work like super magical chests.

thy_

I'm not understanding what an 'Arena Pack' is.

I assume, as soon as you reach a new arena, you will be able to buy a "starter pack" filled with cards from the new arena. No idea how random the contents of the pack are going to be, but you probably won't be guaranteed to get the epic or legendaries.

yatesl

I hit Arena 9 2 days ago, but I'm one battle away from dropping out (level 9 and 10 commons and 7 rares vs 11 and 12 commons with 8 rares, go figure) so I'm withholding all temptation and not playing it until Monday.

Hopefully the starter packs won't cost too much and there'll be a legendary chest too - I don't want to put too much money in to this, but I'm willing to drop £10 (£15 tops...) if it makes a meaningful difference.

After all, I guess I have played this game every single day since April or so.

Agent

Sneak Peek #2:

SNEAK PEEK #2 - Four New Cards!

Mega Minion: Available soon!
Every Two Weeks: One new card will be released!

BC4Vp7V.jpg

Reddit Exclusive Info: Soon you'll be able to challenge your friends to a Friendly Battle from the friends list!

Forum Exclusive Info: Soon you'll be able to see when your friends are online/offline, and spectate their battles!

Chief Pat Sneak Peek #2 Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHTbX8fdWB0

Agent

Major changes are coming to tournaments.

SNEAK PEEK #3 - New Tournament Mode!
Challenges: 12 wins unlocks the top prize, 3 losses and you're out!
Classic Challenge: 10 Gems to enter, top prize of 2000 Gold and 100 cards
Grand Challenge: 100 Gems to enter, top prize of 22000 Gold and 1100 cards

It's probably best to watch this Orange Juice Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vVI4TSt_o

Reddit Info: We've reworked and simplified tournament creation, reducing both Gem prices and prizes.
Forums Info: Excess Crowns will overflow from one Crown Chest to the next, if you have one waiting.

hollomat

Banned
The challenge tourneys seem like a great idea. It's almost exactly like arena in hearthstone, which is my favorite mode in that game.

What I'd like to see is after the challenge tourneys come out, people post their decks and how far they were able to get. My deck works well on ladder, but is terrible for tourneys so I'll need to come up with a new one.

yatesl

Don't try and serenade me.

Anyway, after about a month I went back on my level 1 account, got in to arena 3, and beat some level 5s. Feels good to relax after grinding in to legendary arena. I'm tempted to upload the videos (I've recorded them all), but the last thing YouTube needs is another no-name player uploading his level 1 challenge videos with bad VO.

It's a good feeling when the level 5s BM you though half way through the match after taking 2 towers, and then you 3 crown them with your level 1 musk, valk and baby D.

Bought LJ. Knew it's gonna be great for my hut deck. Man, it's just so much better even with the incoming Rage nerf.

The increased speed over Mini Pekka means it can take out Ice Wiz and Muskets much better. Way better at dealing small units. If it dies defending it'll probably rage a hut or two. If it dies attacking then it's party time.

I easily beat my PB by 100 and I'm sure I can get more but my chests are full and I don't want to open my crown until the update.

yatesl

When does the update go live? I've been camping 3000 trophies (well, 2960 after a loss ;_;) since Friday now so not been opening chests, I'm getting withdrawals even with the tournament I played.

LJ popped up yesterday but decided to wait considering the rumour that leggies are getting 50% off in shops, and I wanted to save my gems (well, ££ to go in to gems) for the new packs.

As soon as it goes live I'm throwing money at SuperCell then playing until my fingers go numb and probably drop down to arena 7!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Update is out.

Runs poorly on my 5S running OS10.

I couldn't get to sleep last night so have played probably a hundred games in the last 24 hours with zero issues. Just played 4 games with the update and balance changes and I'm finding random troop deployments will stall out the game briefly. Never seen anything like it :/

mnannola

In Arena 7, with the new update I have the option to purchase an arena 7 package for $9.99:
1. Super Magical Chest
2. 1200 gems
3. 10,000 gold

First time I'm going to spend money on this game, that's a deal!

hollomat

Banned
In Arena 7, with the new update I have the option to purchase an arena 7 package for $9.99:
1. Super Magical Chest
2. 1200 gems
3. 10,000 gold

First time I'm going to spend money on this game, that's a deal!

Edit: Misread the gold.

Arena 9 offer is

1. Legendary chest
2. 1200 gems
3. 100,000 gold

Bought it. Easily worth it for $9.99. Also apparently some arena 8 players are getting the arena 9 offer.

Here's a listing of what's in all the packs from Reddit. I believe they're wrong about arena 8 though and it should be 100k gold and not 10k gold.

https://m.reddit.com/r/ClashRoyale/..._is_the_day_where_f2p_players_die_and_become/

For anyone on the fence about buying a starter pack, if you don't buy it today, it will show up in your shop once a week. However once you buy it, that particular arena pack will never show up again. You'll be offered other arena packs for arenas lower than your current arena though.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So I unpacked a Lava Hound out of my special offer. Any good decks for that card ?
I've gotten into high arena 8 (got into a9 the season right before the reset switched to 4000) once with a variation of this lavahound cycle deck :
Lavahound
Musketteer
Baby Dragon
Minions
Barbs
Spear gobs
Fire spirit
Arrows

I've replaced spear gobs for miner when I got him. Just got princess from my special a8 offer, trying it in place of musketteer.

Future

Update is out.

Runs poorly on my 5S running OS10.

I couldn't get to sleep last night so have played probably a hundred games in the last 24 hours with zero issues. Just played 4 games with the update and balance changes and I'm finding random troop deployments will stall out the game briefly. Never seen anything like it :/

I'm getting this to on the 6 plus. It sucks. It seems like the first troop deployment of a new troop gets the spike and then random afterwards

Kioshen

Lava is quite deadly with Miner, other than that I havent see it used that much.

Welp it was my first leg so no go on that.

I've gotten into high arena 8 (got into a9 the season right before the reset switched to 4000) once with a variation of this lavahound cycle deck :
Lavahound
Musketteer
Baby Dragon
Minions
Barbs
Spear gobs
Fire spirit
Arrows

I've replaced spear gobs for miner when I got him. Just got princess from my special a8 offer, trying it in place of musketteer.

Awww man all cards I neglected because I didn't use them except Musk. Talk about a poisoned gift.

Top Bottom