• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Dunlop

Sparky is incredibly easy to counter if you have zap which almost everyone does. If not (like me) he's a little trickier but can still be countered. I normally wait til he gets close and drop barbs all around him. He kills two and the other two kill him.

I've won against them multiple times (when the person controlling them are careless or cosky), but any mistake and you are screwed.

Normally a sparky rush will be with a giant or lava hound in front and possibly other cheap ground troops by the time it hits the bridge

3 Musketeers cost 9 and are killed by an equal level fireball, sparky cost 6 and my lvl 9 fireball does maybe half it's health.

For the record I am only at arena 8, I've seem to hit my ceiling at 2600 points ; (

hollomat

Banned
I've won against them multiple times (when the person controlling them are careless or cosky), but any mistake and you are screwed.

Normally a sparky rush will be with a giant or lava hound in front and possibly other cheap ground troops by the time it hits the bridge

3 Musketeers cost 9 and are killed by an equal level fireball, sparky cost 6 and my lvl 9 fireball does maybe half it's health.

For the record I am only at arena 8, I've seem to hit my ceiling at 2600 points ; (

Fireball is not meant for countering sparky. If you're running into sparky constantly and having trouble countering it, start running rocket. A lvl 7 rocket will instantly kill a lvl 1 sparky and is an even elixir trade assuming you don't hit anything else.

But no one ever runs sparky alone so you'll always get an elixir advantage. And most sparky decks are 100% built around sparky as a win condition. If you shut it down instantly they're screwed.

Dunlop

Fireball is not meant for countering sparky. If you're running into sparky constantly and having trouble countering it, start running rocket. A lvl 7 rocket will instantly kill a lvl 1 sparky and is an even elixir trade assuming you don't hit anything else.

But no one ever runs sparky alone so you'll always get an elixir advantage. And most sparky decks are 100% built around sparky as a win condition. If you shut it down instantly they're screwed.

I did this, swapped out fireball--> Rocket and Barbarians-->Guards to keep my avg elixir cost the same. You were not wrong, once sparky is removed they are instantly lost as to what to do.

I'm still ceiling at about 2600 and getting bored to tears sticking to this hog/miner variant

Anyone have a kill deck for Arena 8? The only legendarily I have are miner and Inferno Dragon

Currently I am using

Miner
Hog Rider
Spear Goblins
Guards
Inferno Tower
Musketeer
Zap
Rocket

nampad

I am kind of fed up by this game or how Supercell is handling it. They are way too slow to address any issues. Especially when there are overpowered cards/metas, they have always handled it poorly (e.g. Hog, RG, Miner, now Giant).

Right now I am facing the same old Giant Poison decks all over again and again (with some LH decks thrown in from time to time). The Giants main problem wasn't his damage, which got a meager nerf, it was his elixir cost/health ratio, which allowed incredible big pushes with a Poison spell that had a great synergy. This is especially bad in double elixir time.
The introduction of the Mega Minion and update of the Bowler only made him stronger. From the 60 available cards, it feels like only roughly 15 exist because you won't see something else.
This sucks as someone who prefers to build his own decks instead of copying any popular ones. It's also not like you can change up your deck quickly without any high costs.

The spectator feature is pretty much only used for cheating right now and half of my ladder matches have them. In challenge mode, it is even way worse. Still, Supercell has not addressed the issue.
Then there are several bugs which have been known for months but are not fixed yet. The most annoying one is the "wrong card" bug, where the card which will be shuffled next into the hand is getting selected by accident, which can be game deciding.

I am not a game developer but I expect a company who is raking in millions after millions with this game to be able to fix issues sooner (just like the Miner deploy time bug or Inferno Zap bug).

I'm just wondering, did people stop using Barbs or Infernos? I never had a problem with Giant + Poison. Barbs murder Giants. Even a Barb Hut can completely stop a Giant and doesn't really care about Poison. Ice Wiz makes Giants super slow as well. Maybe because I play hut decks but Giant + Poison certainly wasn't as super annoying as Miner cycle decks.

Sure they can pull out a Bomber against your Barbs, but you have 7 Elixir to deal with that.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm just wondering, did people stop using Barbs or Infernos? I never had a problem with Giant + Poison. Barbs murder Giants. Even a Barb Hut can completely stop a Giant and doesn't really care about Poison. Ice Wiz makes Giants super slow as well. Maybe because I play hut decks but Giant + Poison certainly wasn't as super annoying as Miner cycle decks.

Sure they can pull out a Bomber against your Barbs, but you have 7 Elixir to deal with that.
Still using Barbs but I'm only using them on defense or to kill an inferno tower if I already have downed an opponent's tower by placing them after the river, I'd try to swap them for Guards but I don't even have them up to tournament level right now.

Ninja Dom

The spectator thing is the most annoying thing for me. Almost guaranteed that you'll lose a match that is being spectated due to cheating. Your opponent is also the spectator on another device so they can see your hand and elixir count.

JoeNut

well my time in Arena 9 did not last long! all of a sudden everyone runs inferno tower and completely ruins my Sparky + Giant combo

Could i replace Giant with Barbs possibly? can't think of a way to counter the inferno tower, tried minion horde but i can't time it right

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The spectator thing is the most annoying thing for me. Almost guaranteed that you'll lose a match that is being spectated due to cheating. Your opponent is also the spectator on another device so they can see your hand and elixir count.

This would explain sooooooo much. First, I thought it was weird that anyone would watch my tournament match, especially joining so fast. Second there were times when I was countered almost too perfectly. I chalked it up to just a bad match but you never know.

Ninja Dom

This would explain sooooooo much. First, I thought it was weird that anyone would watch my tournament match, especially joining so fast. Second there were times when I was countered almost too perfectly. I chalked it up to just a bad match but you never know.

Yeah, there's really no real reason for me to spectate a clan mates Tourney match unless I can "assist" him.

Ninja Dom

well my time in Arena 9 did not last long! all of a sudden everyone runs inferno tower and completely ruins my Sparky + Giant combo

Could i replace Giant with Barbs possibly? can't think of a way to counter the inferno tower, tried minion horde but i can't time it right

Keep at it Joe, I'm running Sparky + Royal Giant combo in Arena 9. You need Zap.

blackflag

Bowler wrecks barbs so it's not that effective against a giant bowler deck. Inferno tower stills sucks to deal with but I. The last minute it's not hard to overpower the tower and just steamroll.

Agent

Top 200 local leaderboard represent
for a few hours.

PuEAf1E.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, in the last few days, about half of my ladder matches seem to have between 1 and 2 viewers. This strikes me as a fairly new phenomenon, having had virtually nobody spectate my matches before outside of friendly clan battles.

How indicative of "cheating" is having a spectator, much less 2, on just a random ladder match?

hollomat

Banned
So, in the last few days, about half of my ladder matches seem to have between 1 and 2 viewers. This strikes me as a fairly new phenomenon, having had virtually nobody spectate my matches before outside of friendly clan battles.

How indicative of "cheating" is having a spectator, much less 2, on just a random ladder match?

The same thing has been happening to me for the past month. It's absolutely indicative of cheating.

Play challenge and you'll see almost 100% of your matches are being spectated.

Supercell is aware of it, but it's something that should (and can) be fixed immediately. It's unacceptable that it's been going on this long without a fix.

Ninja Dom

Another thing is that the 'Spectate' is open not just to your clan mates, but all of your friends on Facebook and in Game Centre who also play the game. You can't administer Game Centre on iOS 10 now though.

hollomat

Banned
Another thing is that the 'Spectate' is open not just to your clan mates, but all of your friends on Facebook and in Game Centre who also play the game. You can't administer Game Centre on iOS 10 now though.

Is it even open to clan mates? I've never seen the option to spectate a clan mates game.

cuilan

Ok, as of today, I now have 4 logs and no other legendaries. #3 was from a giant chest and #4 was from a magical chest.

Since there is a higher probability of the sun collapsing into a black hole tomorrow than something like this happening randomly, that safely rules out RNG. Supercell is deliberately trolling me. This would actually be somewhat amusing if Supercell hadn't stolen $5 from me in the process.

hollomat

Banned
Ok, as of today, I now have 4 logs and no other legendaries. #3 was from a giant chest and #4 was from a magical chest.

Since there is a higher probability of the sun collapsing into a black hole tomorrow than something like this happening randomly, that safely rules out RNG. Supercell is deliberately trolling me. This would actually be somewhat amusing if Supercell hadn't stolen $5 from me in the process.

That's crazy. I've been very lucky with my legendary distribution. I have every legendary except sparky and haven't received more than 2 of any legendary.

Lol, such bad luck. Maybe you'll get lucky elsewhere? I've been playing since first launch on iOS but still no SMC. However, I did get Lv2 Ice Wiz and Lumberjack, which are absolutely the perfect leggies for my deck.

Man these $10 deals they have in the shop are simply too hard to pass up. A good chest, 100k gold, and over a thousand gems is a ridiculously good deal for that price.

JoeNut

Man these $10 deals they have in the shop are simply too hard to pass up. A good chest, 100k gold, and over a thousand gems is a ridiculously good deal for that price.

I wish i'd bought one when it was in my store now, i hesitated, missed it, and then get prince in my store which is what i wanted to level with the coins

cuilan

Lol, such bad luck. Maybe you'll get lucky elsewhere? I've been playing since first launch on iOS but still no SMC. However, I did get Lv2 Ice Wiz and Lumberjack, which are absolutely the perfect leggies for my deck.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Supercell is doing this to me on purpose.

After spending $5 on a legendary chest just to get a dupe, all temptation to spend money on any of those deals has completely evaporated. Their loss.

Kioshen

Luck has nothing to do with it. Supercell is doing this to me on purpose.

After spending $5 on a legendary chest just to get a dupe, all temptation to spend money on any of those deals has completely evaporated. Their loss.

Well it's still 1 chance out of 4096 (iirc). I've also been lucky in my legendary distribution. Only IW, Sparky and Log left to have.

nampad

I kicked some inactive members out of the GAF clan who have not been donating for some time now. If anyone of those people were inactive because of some unknown reason (vacation etc.) and wants back in, just reapply.

Anyway, now we have 7 open spots in the clan so if anyone here wants to join, please post here in advance and we will open up the clan for you. We are quite active and have no weekly donation limit, though we require you to be somewhat active (several weeks of no donation will be seen as inactivity).

zenbot

I've bought the arena 8 & 9 packs but the earlier ones hold no appeal and they're the only ones I'll be offered from here on out. I need gold, Supercell!

Agent

New Balance Changes coming 10/20!

https://clashroyale.com/blog/release-notes/balance-changes-coming-10-20

The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting and looking at the stats - in particular, card use rates and win rates. You can expect monthly balance changes to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.

In this round of balance changes we're taking a look at a popular combo: Giant + Poison (aka, "Goison"), making a significant change to the Elixir Collector and more!

Giant: Hitpoints decreased by 5%
Our previous Giant change didn't pull enough power from him, especially from where it matters, so this additional tweak (in conjunction with the Poison change below) should put him in a better place overall. The change is relatively small because our aim is to reduce the strength of Giant + Poison, but not remove it as a viable combo.

Poison: Will no longer slow movement and attack speed
Thematically Poison's "thing" is damage over time, so we questioned whether it also needs to slow? Answer: no. This change will make Poison's functionality clearer and reduce its ability to control an area for 10 seconds.

Elixir Collector: Elixir cost increased to 6 (from 5), Elixir gain increased to 8 (from 7), Lifetime increased by 10sec
Elixir Collector remains one of the most popular cards in the game - offering a good return on a small-ish risk. Increasing the Elixir cost by 1 will make it a bigger risk to play and give more opportunity to counterplay against it.

The Log: Rolls faster and further, Damage increased by 9%
The Log has yet to find its place or purpose within the Arena, but this change will at least make it more impactful and easier to play while it continues the search.

Skeleton Army: Elixir cost decreased to 3 (from 4), Skeleton count decreased to 16 (from 21), Skeleton level increased by 5
In the early game, Skeleton Army is a terror, but as more area damage cards come into play, its usefulness falls off. A cheaper cost and fewer, but stronger, Skeletons should address some of its weaknesses - and hopefully make it a terror once again!

Ice Golem: Death Damage will also damage flying troops
Bug fix.

Golem: Death Damage will also damage flying troops
For consistency with Ice Golem's Death Damage.

Initial thoughts:
-Good on the Giant reduction.
-Poison seems a bit heavy handed. I wouldn't say it will become a useless card now, but I do think it will be close.
-Elixir Collector. This may finally be the change to kill it off. I actually see this hurting cards like Golem/PEKKA more since you really need a EC to effectively use them.
-The Log, they sure want people to use this card. I suspect this will become used a lot.
-Skeleton Army. Interesting change, I don't see it being used much with Zap used so much.

Poison nerf is a bit ridiculous. They could at least just remove the attack speed slow. It's what kept Giants alive longer. I can't poison zap 3M anymore.

Skarmy sounds amazing and LOL Elix Collector.

Just got another Log from a free chest so I can get it to lv2.

commish

Great changes all around.

Poison was just too good, and has been too good for a long, long time. This morning I was complaining in clan chat that I had fought 7 giant + poison combos in a row and something needed to be done. Well, I guess something has been done. Is it too much? Maybe. We'll see an uptick in fireball use I'm guessing, which is what I currently use anyway.

Hate the elixir collector so I'm happy for the nerf. I had it back in my deck because I felt like it was almost necessary in order to keep up with everyone else also using it. I'd much rather not use it as it is boring. No one uses Golem/Pekka anyway!

Skelly army change is going to have some impact. 3 elixir for that is a lot of value. I know many people run zap, but you can't zap everything. I expect an uptick in skelly army use followed with an uptick in ice wizard or princess use.

Nevyr

Banned
Hell froze over and I hit arena 8.

As a free to play without any legendary cards it is quite frustrating playing against people who are 2 levels higher than you in your arena and have 1-2 legendary cards.

So keeping track of my losses, 15 out of 20 games I lost, been to players with, inferno tower.

Any suggestions on how to deal with it, generally speaking.

commish

As a free to play without any legendary cards it is quite frustrating playing against people who are 2 levels higher than you in your arena and have 1-2 legendary cards.

So keeping track of my losses, 15 out of 20 games I lost, been to players with, inferno tower.

Keep in mind that zap, lightning or freeze spells stop the tower. Also keep in mind that you can often get great value with lightning if they use inferno tower. People often put down an inferno tower and then another unit to attack whatever it is you have coming in. With lightning you can get the inferno, the tower and the unit.

Also keep in mind that you have to adjust to the meta. If inferno towers are in most decks, then you should avoid big slow decks with expensive units as the inferno will eat them up. Try to run faster decks, use guards and otherh cheap decks if you have them, etc. For example, a hog rider and goblins with a well timed zap will render that inferno tower useless and do a ton of damage on the tower if left unchecked. Of course, that's +3 in the elixir department for your opponent, but you get the idea. Also consider using units that bait the inferno tower out. For example, if you like to use giant, then consider adding a hog rider to your deck.

noonche

Zap resets it's damage. Lots of troops will overwhelm it. Ice spirit can freeze it too. It's also expensive so if you can get your opponent to play it at the wrong time they won't be able to cycle back to it fast.

Nevyr

Banned
Yeah, I guess issue is I dont have many cards/upgrades.

Only played for a month and am a F2P

Inferno tower and Sparky just ends up wrecking me. I guess I didnt think about the stun portion, so that means that buildup dmg starts over?

Might need to swap out my fireball if so.

However my deck is probably getting killed tomorrow anyway:

Goblins
Spear Goblins
Archers
Minion Horde
Wizard
Elixir Cauldron
Fireball
Golem

Nevyr

Banned
Zap resets it's damage. Lots of troops will overwhelm it. Ice spirit can freeze it too. It's also expensive so if you can get your opponent to play it at the wrong time they won't be able to cycle back to it fast.

Yeah just got ice spirit, didnt realize the stun "reset" the build up.

Will skeleton army be the best 3 elixir card in the game? I can't think of a better one. Zap is going to be even more required in every deck just to deal with the skarmy.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man, my

Miner
Log
Musketeer
Valkyrie
MM
Mini Pekka
Tombstone
Arrow

deck was really improved with this update. Awesome!

JoeNut

So if skarmy is the new card, that could be ANOTHER zap lure card, potentially you could have a deck with Sparky, Goblin barrel, minion horde and Skarmy.

Don't forget graveyard or whatever it's called is coming too. Arrows might be required once again.

DrkSage

I was running this deck before the update:
Giant
M pekka
Musketeers
M minion
Ice spirit
Poison
Zap
Collector

Of course after the update it got major nerf, I lost 700 trophies, went from 4000 to 3300 trying different decks until I decided to work around the past meta deck (the one above). Took out poison, ice spirit, collector, and replaced it with miner, fireball and skeleton army, and I only have one thing to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsfIYUV4Gk

3600 and rising

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So if skarmy is the new card, that could be ANOTHER zap lure card, potentially you could have a deck with Sparky, Goblin barrel, minion horde and Skarmy.

Don't forget graveyard or whatever it's called is coming too. Arrows might be required once again.
It's also inferno dragon's best friend and worst ennemy.It replaced barbs in my LH/ID deck and it works pretty well for defence AND offence. Way more skishy than barbs but the lower elixir cost is well worth it I think.

Top Bottom