• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Drensch said:
I just watched this. Without a doubt one of the worst movies I've seen. The Blair monster project.

I really can't imagine enjoying this movie at home, and I have a 61" HDTV with 7.1 sound and two subs.

This was a movie theater movie, BIG TIME. There is no other way to enjoy it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chubigans said:
I really can't imagine enjoying this movie at home, and I have a 61" HDTV with 7.1 sound and two subs.

This was a movie theater movie, BIG TIME. There is no other way to enjoy it.

although the director said it was really made to watch at home, due to it being shot on 'home video'. Although he probably said that because it was just about to come out on DVD..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I saw this over the weekend. Definitely a love/hate movie. My friend hated it from the first second of the movie, I hated parts of it but overall give it a thumbs up. Maybe a 7/10. The action parts were great, but the way they got to them sucked.

I really hated the fact they used to same old crap of "the love for a girl" to put their life in danger. I mean, I am really going to go into a war zone with a monster to save some chick who sounded like she was dying on the phone? I was down with pretty much everything else but that just killed it for me. I am just tired of "love" driving movies when in real life no one would be that "in love".

border

As has probably been pointed out 100 times in the thread, there are countless "real world" examples of people running into very obvious danger to save loved ones. Ordinary people went into the World Trade Center to save strangers.

Blablurn

14v4boy.jpg

Saw it on DVD and liked the ride overall...though there were a few harsh potholes along the way.

It didn't make a good first impression with the early soap opera setup. But in retrospect it was handled fairly well, given that I was actually annoyed when deaths happened (especially
Jason
and
Marlena
).

Issues I have with it are not unique to me, including the never-ending camera battery (they should have scripted the battery as draining during the
electronics store looting
scene). And Hud as the camera-holding character did come off as too much of a dimwit with some of the comments and was also the focus of an entertaining but ill-advised bit near the end (
the military apparently decided to let the monster saunter through the park and get a snack before firing again, plus the dodgy up-close look at the monster
).

B- is how I'd probably rate it.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Jesus, I hate watching Monster movies with people who can't suspend their disbelief for two fucking hours. If you are really annoyed that it's not "realistic" enough then why the hell did you agree to watch a monster movie in the first place.

Christ.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pseudo_Sam said:
Jesus, I hate watching Monster movies with people who can't suspend their disbelief for two fucking hours. If you are really annoyed that it's not "realistic" enough then why the hell did you agree to watch a monster movie in the first place.

Christ.

Going into a monster flick, you've already accepted that yes, there is a monster. That's why you're there. It's what goes on around that accepted premise that makes or breaks the suspension of disbelief.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
FYI:

Michael Giacchino's "ROAR!" is on iTunes and it is the best theme for a monster movie that didn't need one ever made. :D

12 minutes of japanese man-in-suit score homage. GO.

Mash

Watched it the other day, thought it was great. I agree with the above posters, people need to drop the assumptions and disbelief at the door to enjoy most films, you're genuinely missing out if you can't get over those little things.

GhaleonEB

I'm on a monster movie kick lately (this was the third, after The Host and The Mist), and just got done watching this. I'm kind of torn about it, but overall I'm quite disappointed. It's late and I'm tired, so I'll do the bullet point thing.

The Good

1) Monster design and the way it's gradually revealed. Top notch tension building and creature design.

2) The CG. I had no idea how much was CG and how much was real until I watched the DVD extras. Astounding work. It was basically a CG movie half the time and I had no idea.

3) The premise. Basically Godzilla told from the perspective of people on the street. Badass.

The Bad

1) The camera work. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who get motion sick watching Cloverfield, and those who don't. I am in the former camp, and had to look away for entire long sections until I could tell from my peripheral vision that the camera had calmed down.

2) The editing. Too much skipping around and quick cutting early on, and the film is oddly paced. The "cool down" sections went on too long.

3) The characters. I didn't care for any of them. I cheered when
the camera man Hud got eaten. His filming ability ruined the experience!

Great premise, great creature design, poor execution.

Great touch showing it fall into the water at the end. Would love to see a sequel done a bit more coherently.

Mash said:
Watched it the other day, thought it was great. I agree with the above posters, people need to drop the assumptions and disbelief at the door to enjoy most films, you're genuinely missing out if you can't get over those little things.
Agree completely. I didn't realize how many people on NeoGAF just have complete shit for opinions.

koam

The movie rocked, I just watched it. Like it a lot actually, hated the ending. I was hoping the camera battery would die and let us ponder what actually happen, though that would leave room for a terrible sequel or eight.

Calcaneus

I bought the dvd last week to celebrate me finally getting my cd/dvd drive working again. Its great seeing the movie again, but this is totally a theater movie and I'm glad I got to get that experience first.

I love the special features on this one. Usually I couldn't give a shit about the making of a movie, but I had so much curiosity from the film making side of this that it was so enjoyable.

Jacobi

Banned
Fucking awesome shit. As a movie maker, it really felt like watching a captured tape
Oh and btw there are batteries that last that long
I do hope for a sequel... Could be maybe made in a documentary style

Jacobi said:
As a movie maker you should have picked up that the camera was only on and running for 70 minutes or however long the fucking movie was. Jesus Christ. I'm sorry but that stupid point has been brought up so many times. If you even understand the concept of how the movie is shot that question should never cross your mind.

MMaRsu

Jacobi said:
Fucking awesome shit. As a movie maker, it really felt like watching a captured tape
I do hope for a sequel... Could be maybe made in a documentary style

as a 'movie maker' you should know that the movie only showed parts of when the camera was actually on and recording.

Jacobi

Banned
WTF that wasn't sarcastic or something. I was saying that tha haters who say that there aren't camera batteries that last that long should shut up, because I've used cameras that could've worked that long.

HOLY SHIT Jacobi I am sorry. I totally read it as "Oh WHERE are batteries" instead of "THERE are batteries"

Fuck, sorry for jumping on you. I didn't sleep last night and had to work really early so my reading skills are shot to shit.

picked up this blu-ray since its 14.99 at Best Buy/Amazon this week.

Still one of my favorite films of 2008 and the decade. There is a unparalleled sense of being in the action and just an amazing experience. I thought I might be let down watching it at home, but it didn't really take away from the experience. I really can't believe the backlash.

Gattsu25

Banned
Necrobump?

I showed this to my cousins family. Around the end my uncle (who had a heart attack a few years back) started holding his chest as he was watching and we had to stop the film.

Awesome.

Enjoyed this movie at the free pre-screening I saw before it's general wide release. The girl I went with, as well as many other people in the theater got motion sickness..a few puked I heard.

Especially enjoyed Marmaduke from Carpoolers:

tjmiller.jpg

Dead Man

The Take Out Bandit said:
If they make a sequel we need more engaging human leads, or less stupid disposable 20-something shitbags and more monster raping American landmarks.
This. I love the movie, but the characters leave me cold. I really could not care less about any of them. The feel and mood of the film more than made up for that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom