• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmMortal

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Yes. It's on the skyline to the right ish. You can really see it in the DVD.

are you left handed?

because a lot of people who spotted it where left handed and right handers couldn't see it in there first viewing. I saw it only after 3 times.

Zer0

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Forrest Gump
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Shawshank Redemption, The

Guess what? Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is remembered a whole lot more fondly than two of those films. .

sorry but no,at least on europe ace ventura was forget on mere weeks

Warrior300 said:
are you left handed?

because a lot of people who spotted it where left handed and right handers couldn't see it in there first viewing. I saw it only after 3 times.
I have two hands and I use both co-operatively for certain tasks. Although I have never been to Coney Island. Does that change things?

El Papa

Warrior300 said:
are you left handed?

I'm right handed and I saw it clearly the first time in the theater.

RumFore

Banned
Cloverfield is one of those movies where you yell at the screen, "what the fuck are you doing?" "WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?" The movie had some very stupid moments. That parts where the girl was injured from that subway and they could give a fuck until she came up to them half dead and the part where they let the other girl that was not injured get on the chopper first made me want to choke myself. The B2 flying over was fucking awesome though.

There are many DVD versions of this.

Standard one

FYE/Suncoast for the Steel box edition

Play.com 2 disc special edition (September)

Best Buy is offering a bonus disc with 30 minutes of behind the scenes footage:
clover%20bonus%20disc%20sleeve.jpg

Australias EzyDVD has a tin:
798427a.jpg

Target's giving out a CD of Rob's Party Mix with each dvd sale:
rob.jpg

1. OK GO * Here It Goes Again
2. Goldfrapp * Ooh La La
3. Coconut Records * West Coast
4. Scissors for Lefty * Got Your Moments
5. The Vapors * Turning Japanese
6. Parliament * Give Up The Funk
7. Of Montreal * Wraith Pinned To The Mist
8. The Blood Arm * Do I Have Your Attention?
9. Bright Eyes * Four Winds

Shop at Kmart/Sears to get a Cloverfield Ringtone.

http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-cloverfield-dvd-exclusives.html

That's about 7... without the inevitable Blu Ray Special Edition. Which to go for?

Burger

RumFore said:
Cloverfield is one of those movies where you yell at the screen, "what the fuck are you doing?" "WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?" The movie had some very stupid moments. That parts where the girl was injured from that subway and they could give a fuck until she came up to them half dead and the part where they let the other girl that was not injured get on the chopper first made me want to choke myself. The B2 flying over was fucking awesome though.

I do not think that phrase means what you think it means.

Aaaargh! I FUCKING HATE IT when movie studios and stores do this!! Am I supposed to buy five versions of the same Goddamn movie to get all the features!? They did this exact same bullshit with Transformers! I want the steel box cover, but Best Buy gets a behind-the-scenes doc! Which will likely be on the 2-Disc edition released five months later! But that CD? Only at Target!

Ugh! Fuck this!

Dahbomb

Late to the party. Just saw it for the first time and I thought it was a great experience. What they wanted to show and deliver they did it just right. I liked how the monster wasn't detailed greatly (from a narrative point of view to keep its mystery) and the POV angle was left untainted even to the very end. It could've used less shaky camera stuff but that is to be expected. This movie is a must see despite some of its questionable direction choices.

Like another guy said earlier, some of the "stupid stuff" that the characters did were sort of to be expected. Acting stupid is a trait of humanity and for a movie in this genre you need some suspension of disbelief even though I personally myself didn't have much problem with that aspect of the movie.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Though I liked the movie (It's gonna be a important movie in the disaster genre). The motion sickness really killed it for me, i was happy when it was over.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm definitely going to have to double dip for Cloverfield. the 22nd can't come soon enough. Then again once Paramount finally gets around to releasing it on blu-ray.

So which store's version do you guys think is the one to get? Best Buy? Target? FYE?

Days like these... said:
I'm definitely going to have to double dip for Cloverfield. the 22nd can't come soon enough. Then again once Paramount finally gets around to releasing it on blu-ray.

So which store's version do you guys think is the one to get? Best Buy? Target? FYE?
I'm most likely getting the FYE Steelbook version. Best Buy has a 30 minute bonus disc which will likely be on Youtube. And Target's Soundtrack, is just a collection.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/cloverfield

CloverfieldWebB.jpg

"What if a monster attacked a city?" This is the shockingly novel concept behind the viral marketing triumph of the year! Filled with "fresh"* performances and "authentic"** cinematography, Cloverfield masterfully takes a page from The Blair Witch Project, reworking the "snotty 20-somethings endure trauma while repeatedly saying 'dude'" genre into something unique while still being very much the same. Look for star turns by That Girl Who Was in Mean Girls and That One Dude Who Played Eric in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Mike, Kevin and Bill's RiffTrax was found by the Department of Defense (and then thrown away, but we dug it out of a garbage can.)

*Not very good.

**Not good at all.

http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2008/04/cloverfield-dvd-buyers-guide.html

I think I'll end up getting the Best Buy one, because it's cheaper and it has the only bonus video disc. FYE's Steel Book is looking good, but my FYE is far away. I'll make the journey up there when the special edition Blu Ray one hits.

Also a lot of extra footage here:
http://www.cloverfieldfiles.com/

You have to solve some puzzles, but they're fairly easy.

If not: http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2008/04/cloverfieldfilescom-now-open.html

My desire to see this again tonight won out over any interest I had in the store-exclusive "incentive" versions... I bought a plain-jane copy at Wal-Mart after work. :lol

Watching the making of featurette right now.

Costanza

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2008/04/cloverfield-dvd-buyers-guide.html

I think I'll end up getting the Best Buy one, because it's cheaper and it has the only bonus video disc. FYE's Steel Book is looking good, but my FYE is far away. I'll make the journey up there when the special edition Blu Ray one hits.

Also a lot of extra footage here:
http://www.cloverfieldfiles.com/

You have to solve some puzzles, but they're fairly easy.

If not: http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2008/04/cloverfieldfilescom-now-open.html
I got the BB one earlier. Didn't watch the extras yet though.

I also went to target and their "deluxe edition" with the cool cover was just the regular case with a slip of cardboard under the plastic and a CD case behind it. Lame.

Costanza said:
I got the BB one earlier. Didn't watch the extras yet though.

I also went to target and their "deluxe edition" with the cool cover was just the regular case with a slip of cardboard under the plastic and a CD case behind it. Lame.
Canada's Normal DVD has an awesome Cardboard slip cover. We should have got that too:
cloverfielddvdfront.jpg

Halvie

Banned
A month or so ago there was some announcement that the blu ray might be bare-bones. I am guessing and hoping that the reason it has been delayed is because they are going to end up putting the extra on the disk. Couldn't imagine paying $29+ for a 70 some minute movie with no extras. Just do a google search for "cloverfield blu ray" and it should come up.

Here is hoping we see a sequel in the next year or two. I really liked this movie.

Just grabbed mine from Best Buy. It has those annoying safety tabs when ever you want to open the box. Also some disc art would have been nice. Otherwise, I'll probably be double dipping when the Blu-Ray hits.

JdFoX187

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Otherwise, I'll probably be double dipping when the Blu-Ray hits.
Same here. Ordered mine from Wal-Mart and got it for $17. I'll wait a couple days, still have AvP:R and There Will Be Blood to watch.

Just got through the special features. The making of stuff is amazing! The gag reel is also very funny. About to go through the commentary track on the movie.

The content makes up for the piss poor packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom