• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Shinobi said:
I realize that you and I probably have fundamentally different viewpoints on this matter, but IMO, the quality of a film and its status as "cinematic art" are not directly correlated. There are many other aspects that I always take into consideration.

Someday I'm going to make a thread regarding my theory on the matter.

I understand and I enjoy Popcorn movies. Yes, There Will Be Blood will not be viewed as much from the general public as Cloverfield or Godzilla (not the 1998 version, I HOPE). I enjoyed Cloverfield. I admire that the movie was made for only 25 million dollars and still looked a shit load better than Spider Man 3. The fact that Spider Man 3 was made for over 250 million dollars is ridiculous.

samus4ever said:
I understand and I enjoy Popcorn movies. Yes, There Will Be Blood will not be viewed as much from the general public as Cloverfield or Godzilla (not the 1998 version, I HOPE). I enjoyed Cloverfield. I admire that this movie was made for only 25 million dollars and still looked a shit load better than Spider Man 3. The fact that Spider Man 3 was made for over 250 million dollars is ridiculous.
I don't understand where some of these budgets come from.

250 million for Spiderman 3. 150 million for Miami Vice.

Meanwhile, this gets made for 25 million and Doomsday get made for 30 million.

Also, part of my theory is that there is such a thing as an "intelligent popcorn movie" that transcends the genre. It's pretty easy to prove this genre's existence.

Imagine a mediocre genre film and a mediocre drama. Let's use Stealth and Life as a House.

Now imagine a top-tier genre film and a top-tier drama. Let's use Terminator 2 and American Beauty.

Is the gap between Life as a House and American Beauty bigger than the gap between Stealth and Terminator 2?

Once you realize that the answer is "no," you begin to see how the best genre films don't have be judged completely differently from the "Oscar contending" dramas. They may not provide as many profound insights into the human condition, but they make up for it by doing a lot of other things that most dramas don't do.

I have a theory that I'm calling "art in the effect." That is, something like a great horror film that truly achieves its objectives has a certain intrinsic quality of "art" in the effect that it has on the viewer.

Anyway, to me, Cloverfield qualified as much more than a popcorn flick, it was an "intelligent popcorn flick" as I would describe it. However, I do understand that there are a good number of people who don't agree with my opinion on this matter.

It depends on alot of things. For instance the actors involved, the directors, the producers and how much money they want to squeeze out themselves, the locations to shoot at, how much specially effects are really involved, the time spent shooting, how many cameras you are renting.

By the looks of it Cloverfield didn't take that long to shoot, it didn't have that many big name actors, the director is new as well, plus all they needed was one camera (most movies are made with just one camera).

Wait...?

687776_01.jpg

dvd-1.jpg

I'm confused?

The top one is WAY better. Hopefully that's like a 2-Disc Special Edition.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The top one might just be a store exclusive steel book edition. Same content, different packaging. I know Best Buy did that for The Departed and I Am Legend.

Warrior300 said:
I heard hat we are gonna lose a lot of special things on the Blu-Ray version, b/c Paramount was hoping for a HD-DvD win.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray and functionally equivalent now, it shouldn't make any difference.

DaCocoBrova said:
I actually laughed when I read that. smh
Which of course shows that you completely failed to understand what I meant with that post.

TWWB has some good things going for it. But once we have one or two more years of Oscar season films under our belts, TWBB is going to be like A Beautiful Mind. No one is going to watch it very much or give it a whole lot of thought.

Notice how I specifically picked that film and not No Country for Old Men.

But I guess you wouldn't be much of a web elitist if you didn't hop on anyone who dares to suggest that a genre film could be comparable in any way to a high drama.

Blader

Green Shinobi said:

Actors.

Green Shinobi said:
Which of course shows that you completely failed to understand what I meant with that post.

TWWB has some good things going for it. But once we have one or two more years of Oscar season films under our belts, TWBB is going to be like A Beautiful Mind. No one is going to watch it very much or give it a whole lot of thought.

Notice how I specifically picked that film and not No Country for Old Men.

But I guess you wouldn't be much of a web elitist if you didn't hop on anyone who dares to suggest that a genre film could be comparable in any way to a high drama.
Except A Beautiful Mind sucked ass. I think you fail to understand that just because a film wins an Oscar, doesn't mean that film automatically becomes engrained in the public conscience for then on. Likewise, it also doesn't mean the film moves up the rewatchable scale. Kind of shit logic really. Everyone knows Ghostbusters. Probably one of the most well known movies of the 80s. Pretty sure that didn't win best Oscar.

Talladega Knight said:
Except A Beautiful Mind sucked ass. I think you fail to understand that just because a film wins an Oscar, doesn't mean that film automatically becomes engrained in the public conscience for then on. Likewise, it also doesn't mean the film moves up the rewatchable scale. Kind of shit logic really. Everyone knows Ghostbusters. Probably one of the most well known movies of the 80s. Pretty sure that didn't win best Oscar.
True, but some Best Picture nominees aren't even really thought of as the best films from that year a decade later.

As I said earlier, if you asked a bunch of people what the best films of 1994 were, Ace Ventura would come up a hell of a lot more than 4 Weddings and a Funeral.

border

Who gives a shit about anyone that thinks Ace Ventura was the pinnacle of film making for any given year? Those people aren't going to remember Cloverfield either. Shit, they wouldn't even know what year Ace Ventura came out in.

border said:
Who gives a shit about anyone that thinks Ace Ventura was the pinnacle of film making for any given year? Those people aren't going to remember Cloverfield either. Shit, they wouldn't even know what year Ace Ventura came out in.
Are you really going to argue that 4 Weddings and a Funeral is more canonical and culturally important than Ace Ventura: Pet Detective?

Really?

Really?

I really hate this kind of thinking: that not even the absolute peak of comedies, action or horror can be mentioned alongside high dramas.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Ace Ventura (the first one, not the shitty When Nature Calls), but I don't for a second consider it at the peak of comedies. Another Jim Carrey comedy that came out that same year, Dumb and Dumber, I'd argue for. Never heard Ace Venture and culturally important in the same sentence though. Again though, I think you fail to understand the Best Picture Oscar. Winning Best Picture does not make the film more culturally significant than any other film that year.

Talladega Knight said:
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Ace Ventura (the first one, not the shitty When Nature Calls), but I don't for a second consider it at the peak of comedies. Another Jim Carrey comedy that came out that same year, Dumb and Dumber, I'd argue for. Never heard Ace Venture and culturally important in the same sentence though. Again though, I think you fail to understand the Best Picture Oscar. Winning Best Picture does not make the film more culturally significant than any other film that year.
I should have picked Dumb and Dumber. I was just trying to pick a top-notch 90's comedy at random.

Anyway, my belief is that there are definitely shit movies in every genre. Also, the films I consider to be the absolute best of all time happen to be dramas. I think this is more a product of the best writers and directors working primarily in that genre though. My point is that if you take any given year and try to pick out the best and most important films, you're going to end up with a lot of genre films.

With this point in mind, to dogmatically say something like "it's such a joke to compare the importance of this genre film to this high drama" seems incorrect to me. Perhaps I'm underestimating TWBB (I didn't like it that much, but a lot of people really did), but my main point wasn't that particular comparison.

My main point is that it's not a joke to compare a genre film to a drama if both films are well made.

Tim-E

MIMIC said:
Ah, the GAF Hype Machine. 2,400+ replies and it didn't even crack the domestic $100 million mark. :lol

Budget
$30 million

Gross revenue
Domestic
$79,613,339
Foreign
$77,579,613
Worldwide
$157,192,952

Yeah, a movie making 5 times its budget back is a complete failure.

Also, GAF hype =|= real world hype.

ARG stuff:

This symbol is showing up on all of the ARG sites:
slushosword.png
(from Slusho)
TagHead1.jpg
(from Tagruato)
t543w.jpg
(From Jamielovesteddy)

Then there's a new picture on 1-18-08.com
pic12.jpg

Jamie's love Teddy Hanssen, who was captured by Tagruato and taken to the Chuai Station which got attacked by Clover.

On the back of the postcard the icon shows up again:
pic12b.jpg

Will all of this make more sense on the DVD, or will the game have a proper ending? Stay tuned.

This guy already has the DVD somehow:
001sh3.jpg

He didn't seem that impressed with the special features. Makes me dread when they'll announce the Special Edition of it that has more stuff, which will happen of course after we all get the normal DVD. I hate that system. Unless it's on Blu Ray, in which I guess that's better.

Then again, there are some guys calling fake on this due to the basic looking menus in the screens the guy provided. Take this how you will. DVD's out in like 18 days, so this wouldn't be all that surprising.

Buttonbasher said:
001sh3.jpg

He didn't seem that impressed with the special features. Makes me dread when they'll announce the Special Edition of it that has more stuff, which will happen of course after we all get the normal DVD. I hate that system. Unless it's on Blu Ray, in which I guess that's better.

Then again, there are some guys calling fake on this due to the basic looking menus in the screens the guy provided. Take this how you will. DVD's out in like 18 days, so this wouldn't be all that surprising.

i want to punch him...only for the fact he took a picture while flipping the bird.

Dead

well not really...yet
Buttonbasher said:
001sh3.jpg

Jesus, could they possibly fit more quotes on that DVD cover?

DanielPlainview said:
The xvid and DVDR are available on the internet now, so anyone can get them.

Anyone check out the alternate endings?

What were they?
The unfiction dude says (Spoiler to at least one alternate ending)Beware:

military personnel are involved. and: They're pretty much the same but the clip after the bridge collapse is different. One is Rob chasing Beth in a Subway, and the other is the regular one, but there's breif flashes that suggest they were rescued, or that the camera was being recovered

Also FYE and Suncoast seem to be the only US distributors of the Steelbox Cloverfield DVD.

Dead

well not really...yet
Buttonbasher said:
The unfiction dude says (Spoiler to at least one alternate ending)Beware:

military personnel are involved. and: They're pretty much the same but the clip after the bridge collapse is different. One is Rob chasing Beth in a Subway, and the other is the regular one, but there's breif flashes that suggest they were rescued, or that the camera was being recovered

Also FYE and Suncoast seem to be the only US distributors of the Steelbox Cloverfield DVD.
Fuck. The last FYE near my house closed down.

Blablurn

damn, during all the metal gear hype I almost forgot about cloverfield aka the best movie of 2008. thank you for keeping my thread alive, buttonsmasher!

SaggyMonkey said:
I was a sucker and saw this piece of shit in the theaters. I sure as hell am not buying it on disc.

I really disliked this movie when I saw it, but my opinion of it has softened somewhat. Its definitely a movie where one time is enough though.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I really disliked this movie when I saw it, but my opinion of it has softened somewhat. Its definitely a movie where one time is enough though.

I still dislike it enough to hope that I never see a single one of its actors in anything else, ever.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Green Shinobi said:
I really don't think that There Will Be Blood is going to be remembered that well.

I now know to totally disregard your opinion about movies. Thanks.

Buttonbasher said:
As predicted there will be a 2 disc special edition (if Play.com is to be believed).
3592914x.jpg

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3592914/Cloverfield-Special-Edition/Product.html#

Says it's coming in September. Looks like I will be buying it twice. Maybe the Blu Ray version will come out with it?
AaaAARGH!! Dammit!!

Well... fuck. I did REALLY like the movie. I'll prob'ly end up double-dipping on this (my first ever double dip!) just so I can keep the 2-disc set in that awesome steel box.

Fucking... movie... companARRRGH!!

WordAssassin said:
AaaAARGH!! Dammit!!

Well... fuck. I did REALLY like the movie. I'll prob'ly end up double-dipping on this (my first ever double dip!) just so I can keep the 2-disc set in that awesome steel box.

Fucking... movie... companARRRGH!!
It would be one thing if they announced it earlier. Not like 2 weeks before release. That sucks. I'll be doing the same though (Double Dipping).

Wait, something falls from the sky in the end? I thought there was a reason the camera was showing the ocean so I looked for ANYTHING but apparently didnt catch it. Are you all sure?

Probationsmack said:
Wait, something falls from the sky in the end? I thought there was a reason the camera was showing the ocean so I looked for ANYTHING but apparently didnt catch it. Are you all sure?
Yes. It's on the skyline to the right ish. You can really see it in the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom