• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
holy crap Enzo and Cassidy are gold......I just watch all their promos and died laughing such amazing chemistry ...it's going to be ruined by WWE though isn't it?

They ARE WWE. NXT is WWE. The Wyatts were brought up exactly the same as they were in NXT. So was Xavier Woods, but it hasn't worked out for him yet. What guys are doing in NXT is what they will be doing on Raw or Smackdown.

DKehoe

They ARE WWE. NXT is WWE. The Wyatts were brought up exactly the same as they were in NXT. So was Xavier Woods, but it hasn't worked out for him yet. What guys are doing in NXT is what they will be doing on Raw or Smackdown.

I really need to start watching NXT.

I can guarantee that if I were ten years old my two favourite wrestlers would be Daniel Bryan, Sin Cara and maaaaybe CM Punk.

Kids who like John Cena all seem like mongs.

Valentus

People talk bout cena heel turn this and cena heel turn that....

Would he actually be more liked/better if he was a heel? I can'tesee that changing much

Well, Chain Gang Cena >>>>>> Marine Cena, that's for sure.

the thing is, Cena's Heel Turn could be the biggest thing in wwe for the last 15 years, its something that's not so easy like screw Bryan in a random match of a random RAW and says "look at me, i am one of the bad guys now!!!"

I think that inside wwe they thought many times of a Heel Turn, but they dont know how to develop it to be one memorable-epic moment in wrestling history (like hogan and austin's heel turns)

XenoRaven

Unless Vince decides they should have a dancing gimmick.

TxdoHawk

People talk bout cena heel turn this and cena heel turn that....

Would he actually be more liked/better if he was a heel? I can'tesee that changing much

It'll probably be the most boring heel turn in the history of heel turns. Pick one:

- Cena goes back to the rap gimmick, except it's no longer funny because he can't rap about Big Show needing a bra in the PG era.

- Cena joins/creates some boring-ass dominance group and goes from being a boring generic face wrestler to a boring generic heel wrestler, insert feud with some face where him and goons repeatedly and predictably jump the face, etc.

- Cena goes with the "I'm not getting what I deserve out of this company" angle and jumps a bunch of title picture wrestlers by himself backstage.

Basically, it's not going to be anything remotely creative, and smarks will be wondering why they wanted Cena to turn heel in the first place.

kirblar

Well, Chain Gang Cena >>>>>> Marine Cena, that's for sure.

the thing is, Cena's Heel Turn could be the biggest thing in wwe for the last 15 years, its something that's not so easy like screw Bryan in a random match of a random RAW and says "look at me, i am one of the bad guys now!!!"

I think that inside wwe they thought many times of a Heel Turn, but they dont know how to develop it to be one memorable-epic moment in wrestling history (like hogan and austin's heel turns)
Establishinh Bryan as Cena's Kryptonite and turning Cena leading to a remtch at wm31 would be insane.

Rapstah

The only good option for Cena as a heel is the Bo Dallas style heel where he still thinks he's the greatest babyface ever but constantly screws over people, cheats, and doesn't hear the negative reactions from the audience. This post isn't supposed to mock what Cena is right now, but how close he is to this pretty much tells you how good it would fit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Rock thing I knew. Rock is friends with Punk, not Cena. When the Rock and Punk were doing promos with each other I could feel the friendly energy. When Rock and Cena work together you can tell they aren't friendly outside of wrestling.

That's because Cena clearly draws from the Rock heavily for his persona/style.

From the half-dozen mottos/catchphrases to the People's ElbowFive Knuckle Shuffle to the snarky comments, he comes off as a rock wannabe, except instead of being charismatic and funny, he comes off as corny and condescending. It's like a really bad mixture of the Rock and 80s hogan, except both those guys were much more charismatic on the mic and could actually sell a story through a match and how it was worked/choreographed in the ring.

Cena doesn't like Rock because he abandoned wrestling to be a movie star, and rock doesn't like Cena because Cena's a really shitty ripoff of himself that the fans don't respect, and that leaves a bad taste.

The kids? Sure, they love him. But kids come and go as wrestling fans, and they all have a superhero idol/role model they look up to. If it weren'tCena, it'd be someone else.

The wrestling fans? The people who stick with wrestling into their adulthood and who follow the history of the product and appreciate it as an artform, like the wrestlers in the back do? None of them care for Cena. The core of the wrestling industry sees him as a mockery of what can make the product great.

Gorillaz

That's because Cena clearly draws from the Rock heavily for his persona/style.

From the half-dozen mottos/catchphrases to the People's ElbowFive Knuckle Shuffle to the snarky comments, he comes off as a rock wannabe, except instead of being charismatic and funny, he comes off as corny and condescending. It's like a really bad mixture of the Rock and 80s hogan, except both those guys were much more charismatic on the mic and could actually sell a story through a match and how it was worked/choreographed in the ring.

Cena doesn't like Rock because he abandoned wrestling to be a movie star, and rock doesn't like Cena because Cena's a really shitty ripoff of himself, and that leaves a bad taste.

I always did like how there seemed to be hate from both. Almost comes off from both sides as "I hate what you stand for"

remnant

Banned
The wrestling fans? The people who stick with wrestling into their adulthood and who follow the history of the product and appreciate it as an artform, like the wrestlers in the back do? None of them care for Cena. The core of the wrestling industry sees him as a mockery of what can make the product great.

tumblr_lqlufnfD7U1qii6tmo1_500.gif

This is a popular fantasy people have, but these is no evidence to suggest that in the back he is seen as a "mockery of the buisness" whatever the fuck that means.

Rapstah

I think most wrestlers and behind the scenes people absolutely respect Cena's dedication to the business. How they respect his personality and booking is going to be incredibly personal based on what they like and appreciate in wrestling. You can't make the general claim that backstage people hate him, although statistically a bunch are obviously going to.

GaimeGuy

This is a popular fantasy people have, but these is no evidence to suggest that in the back he is seen as a "mockery of the buisness" whatever the fuck that means.

Sorry, the mockery part is really exclusivley to the fans. The guys in the back admire cena because he pretty much has no life outside of WWE.... as weird as that sounds. Nor does he want one.

But the fans? They all see him as a mockery... not because he doesn't enjoy the business, but because he's a bad charicature of the 80s and is terrible at basic fundamentals, things like putting a feud/rivalry over, selling an injury, telling a story in the ring, working the crowd... It's like... like if a magician does nothing to protect the secrets behind his magic while he's performing them. If the audience can see through the charade of what you're doing, it's no longer a performance art. It's just a performance. A dull performance with everything that makes it special sapped away.

If a crowd boos a wrestler, a wrestler is supposed to then begin acting more heelish... to work the crowd and feed off of them, and at the same time allowing the crowd to feed off of their heelish behavior to produce even more boos for them and cheers for their opponents. That's the dynamic crowd/show interaction that makes wrestling "sports entertainment," as opposed to a circus, or a soap opera.

But Cena doesn't work like that. Instead of feeding off the crowd's reactions... he dismisses them, and the reactions get passed off as "controversial" by Cena, by the announcers, and by creative.

If you're taking some time off because of injury, and brock lesnar pulverizes you in a match, you're supposed to sell the beatdown on your way to the back, being carried out by refs, or spending 20 minutes after the cameras finish rolling crawling and stumbling up the ramp on your hands and knees. You don't stand up, thank the crowd, say you'll be going away for a little bit, and walk to the back at a slow pace while holding your arm and feigning a limp while your music blares.

Cena just plain doesn't seem to know how to be a wrestler.

They think by doing the "Cena sucks" chants every night at shows or whatever is working, despite the chants already occurring nine years earlier in 2005. His push hadn't stopped. His spot on the show has not changed. It won't change because the people in charge don't want it to. It was different in 1996 and 1997 because they had competition like WCW with Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, etc.

If anything, being silent in the matches instead of saying "You can't wrestle" or "Cena sucks" is more effective. Another funny thing is seeing the people who don't like him or want to support anything he said, goes to WWE.com and buys a "Cena Sucks" t-shirt.

This, been saying it for a long time.

He didn't say the other wrestlers in the back don't respect him, he said the fans that share the same ideology as the wrestlers in the back don't respect him.

Pavaloo

Cena pulled out a walls-of-cena at rumble when the crowded chanted Y2J and he constantly reacts to the live reaction he gets. He's worked being wrecked by Ryback a few times (went through the stage). Bret Hart seems to understand where Cena is coming from every time he talks about the guy. And when Jericho and Edge discussed the Nexus angle and how they argued with Cena about it, they talked about it like he genuinely thought the people would like the outcome (lol). I don't think the problem is Cena "not knowing how to be a wrestler," but something far fishier.. I think John Cena is having an affair with Vince McMahon.

GaimeGuy

Cena pulled out a walls-of-cena at rumble when the crowded chanted Y2J and he constantly reacts to the live reaction he gets. He's worked being wrecked by Ryback a few times (went through the stage). Bret Hart seems to understand where Cena is coming from every time he talks about the guy. And when Jericho and Edge discussed the Nexus angle and how they argued with Cena about it, they talked about it like he genuinely thought the people would like the outcome (lol). I don't think the problem is Cena "not knowing how to be a wrestler," but something far fishier.. I think John Cena is having an affair with Vince McMahon.

:O

strobogo

Banned
Sorry, the mockery part is really exclusivley to the fans. The guys in the back admire cena because he pretty much has no life outside of WWE.... as weird as that sounds. Nor does he want one.

But the fans? They all see him as a mockery... not because he doesn't enjoy the business, but because he's a bad charicature of the 80s and is terrible at basic fundamentals, things like putting a feud/rivalry over, selling an injury, telling a story in the ring, working the crowd... It's like... like if a magician does nothing to protect the secrets behind his magic while he's performing them. If the audience can see through the charade of what you're doing, it's no longer a performance art. It's just a performance. A dull performance with everything that makes it special sapped away.

If a crowd boos a wrestler, a wrestler is supposed to then begin acting more heelish... to work the crowd and feed off of them, and at the same time allowing the crowd to feed off of their heelish behavior to produce even more boos for them and cheers for their opponents. That's the dynamic crowd/show interaction that makes wrestling "sports entertainment," as opposed to a circus, or a soap opera.

But Cena doesn't work like that. Instead of feeding off the crowd's reactions... he dismisses them, and the reactions get passed off as "controversial" by Cena, by the announcers, and by creative.

If you're taking some time off because of injury, and brock lesnar pulverizes you in a match, you're supposed to sell the beatdown on your way to the back, being carried out by refs, or spending 20 minutes after the cameras finish rolling crawling and stumbling up the ramp on your hands and knees. You don't stand up, thank the crowd, say you'll be going away for a little bit, and walk to the back at a slow pace while holding your arm and feigning a limp while your music blares.

Cena just plain doesn't seem to know how to be a wrestler.

I think it's past all that and Cena now is more of his own genre unto himself. People talk about the Punkverse, but nothing Cena does matters. He's on his own planet that people occasionally get sucked into its orbit, but are just visitors.

BAM! LET'S GO!

(it's sad we can't even get this type of writing in the WWE anymore...)

UberTag

I think John Cena is having an affair with Vince McMahon.
So what you're saying is that Nikki Bella is his cover relationship that he's adopted as a front to disguise the fact that he dumped his ex-wife (Elizabeth) for Vince McMahon and his muscle fetish?

kirblar

The problem is that Cena doesn't have self-awareness and the ability to think big-picture. Edge/Jericho saw that the finish to the Nexus match would be disastrous for the Nexus as a unit going forward, because it made them look like jobbers. Cena was like "Well, it'll send the fans home happy", then realized afterwards that it was the wrong call because of what it did to the other guy he was wrestling.

The problem is that Cena doesn't have self-awareness and the ability to think big-picture. Edge/Jericho saw that the finish to the Nexus match would be disastrous for the Nexus as a unit going forward, because it made them look like jobbers. Cena was like "Well, it'll send the fans home happy", then realized afterwards that it was the wrong call because of what it did to the other guy he was wrestling.

I can't believe that Cena is this gullible/naive. That's just an excuse. You're telling me a guy who's been at the top for as long as he has isn't ruthless and calculating? C'mon, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Love him or hate him, you gotta respect him.

~ John "Bradshaw" Layfield, 2014

now I spent a good long time not watching wrestling, but shouldn't JBL fucking "hate" Cena like he still "hates" Mysterio?

kirblar

I can't believe that Cena is this gullible/naive. That's just an excuse. You're telling me a guy who's been at the top for as long as he has isn't ruthless and calculating? C'mon, he knew exactly what he was doing.
It's not so much being naive as it is being myopic and tone-deaf. He's a yes-man who's been running the same gimmick into the ground for a decade now.

DMczaf

After being in WWE for like 13 years, Cena STILL has no friends.

That tells you everything you need to know about him.

J-Rzez

Never understood why ppl liked this guy in the first place. As someone who grew up in the "golden hogan era" current wrasling sucks. Current wrestlers have no energy, charisma, or chemistry, and that includes cena. Before I hear "nostalgia", I say the attitude era was the peak of wrestling, along with the early wcw NWO era.

strobogo

Banned
Never understood why ppl liked this guy in the first place. As someone who grew up in the "golden hogan era" current wrasling sucks. Current wrestlers have no energy, charisma, or chemistry, and that includes cena. Before I hear "nostalgia", I say the attitude era was the peak of wrestling, along with the early wcw NWO era.

Nah, Golden Era is called the Golden Era for a reason. There might be better wrestlers today and edgier stories in the Attitude Era, but the Golden Era is the perfect package to this day.

J-Rzez

Nah, Golden Era is called the Golden Era for a reason. There might be better wrestlers today and edgier stories in the Attitude Era, but the Golden Era is the perfect package to this day.

I don't know, it was hard to find flaws in the attitude era. It was an edgier golden era, and they had better athletes who pulled off better moves. Even Too Cool outclasses these current nobodies who seem like some random person off the street. We may never see another Rock, SCSA, or HHH, its a shame. :(

I don't really follow wrestling but I've always thought Vince was a douche. So is this a result of the last bad pay per view? Can someone fill me in? I'm curious what happened.

Carnby

I don't really follow wrestling but I've always thought Vince was a douche. So is this a result of the last bad pay per view? Can someone fill me in? I'm curious what happened.

In short:

WWE booked the main event of Wrestlemania with a champ who has two strikes (failed drug tests) and a 45 year old challenger who became number 1 contender after being gone for 4 years.

The Royal Rumble was so bad that the audience turned against the show. To the point that WWE is going to edit the show before printing it to DVD. All because Daniel Bryan was not put int the RR match at all.

Punk left because as long as he is not one HHH's boys, he will never main event a WM.

Two things:

1) CM Punk, their second biggest star, left the company, partly out of creative differences, partly out of no word on pay outs from the WWE Network to the performers, and partly due to health. Also, he really hates old timers coming in and going straight to the WM headline over guys that busted their hump with a full schedule.

2) The current main event of Wrestlemania will be booed out of the building, and the WWE really can't afford that when trying to sell the WWE Network. Randy Orton's match and Batista winning the Rumble at Royal Rumble were both shat on by the fans, and reports of high level of fan dissatisfaction as they left the arena.

Aiii

So not worth it
Side note, I see alot of new or unfamiliar names in here, why don't you join us in our little community? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759943

We might job you out a little the first month or so, but I'm sure we can give you an IC title run down the road if you don't complain too much. Either way, we'd be happy to have you and I understand if you haven't been around the community forum yet, but check it out!

sega4ever

I don't know, it was hard to find flaws in the attitude era. It was an edgier golden era, and they had better athletes who pulled off better moves. Even Too Cool outclasses these current nobodies who seem like some random person off the street. We may never see another Rock, SCSA, or HHH, its a shame. :(

i'm sure people older than you say the same thing about hogan and flair.

Ithil

That's a load of crap.
The Attitude Era had plenty of flaws. Random booking, lame tasteless angles, bad wrestling.
Plenty of good but it's no infallible time.

The in-ring wrestling today is vastly superior, with much better athletes. This really isn't up for debate.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Cmon now, we're all friends here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom