• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
at work, what is the summary of what Austin said about punk?

• The whole thing isn't a stunt or some ploy.
  • Stone Cold related to what Punk was going through back in the day when he didn't like what he was being told to do etc. Stated that he lost money in doing so.
  • He thinks either Vince will "work some jedi mind tricks" and convince him back or Punk will have a sit down and realise that he's still got some years left in him to get money elsewhere.
  • As a good friend to Punk, Stone Cold believes that he's going through a lot of stress and he hopes that he'll come back to the WWE.

• He ends his answer by emphasising the fact that he walked out at a bad time with Wrestlemania 30 being pretty close and that would mean Punk would lose out on big money.

TL;DR = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3QK-LJpPo

Hasney

That's the whole point of Punk leaving BEFORE Wrestlemania. To send a message to Vinnie Mac

"i dont need your money and i can leave whatever i want"

Not only that, but apparently they don't even know how the payday is going to work with the network rolling in to eat up that individual PPV revenue.

Ithil

Money isn't an issue with Punk, so it can't be used to bring him back. If they want him back for the rest of his contract they'll have to do something drastic. If he comes back in March for the Chicago RAW show, goes til Wrestlemania, or even July when his contract expires, then takes a year off or something, it would work.

What the something drastic is, it's hard to say. Punk is stubborn just like Vince.

My guess is since Punk seemed to be a timebomb ready to go off for the last few months that this isnt a shock to a lot of internal WWE people and they are hoping cooler heads prevail and Punk returns in time for mania.

Also dirt sheets say triple H is disrespected by this entire thing so I look forward to his promo about loving this business and sucking up despite the fact he has been in the bosses ear for the majority of his career and hasnt had to deal with shitty creative holding him back since he has creative control and his default creative input is "Why dont I win this one?"

paile

Banned
With the Daniel Bryan thing and reaction to Batista, Orton and Cena at the Royal Rumble, Punk likely saw this as a real opportune time to really stink the dagger in Vince's back and force creative change of some sort.

Everything has had it's effect since WWE are now holding a two day creative meeting.

thefro

I have. The 6-sided ring era on TNA was extremely watchable, especially compared to their current ouput..

I think stro said it best when he said Russo is great and writing other peoples booking, which is what he'd do in WWE anyway.

Russo's a fantastic idea generator as long as he's got someone to filter him and he's not the one solely in charge.

I believe the last time when he came back to WWE for 3-4 days he came up with the idea for the draft and brand split and 2-3 other things they ended up doing over the course of a couple years.

Hasney

Russo's a fantastic idea generator as long as he's got someone to filter him and he's not the one solely in charge.

I believe the last time when he came back to WWE for 3-4 days he came up with the idea for the draft and brand split and 2-3 other things they ended up doing over the course of a couple years.

It was after the brand split happened. According to Wiki:

In Russo's book Rope Opera, Russo said he called Vince McMahon when the WWE's Raw rating went below a 4.0. After meeting McMahon at his house, Russo proposed his main story of having McMahon hiring Eric Bischoff to be the General Manager of the company. McMahon would then torture Bischoff due to their previous history; Bischoff would then use his past relationships with previous WCW talent and get to McMahon's son Shane which would eventually lead to Vince McMahon losing power

Rumor has it that the idea he put forward was an entire restart of the WCW Invasion, featuring previously unsigned talent such as Bill Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Eric Bischoff and Bret Hart. The reports imply that his idea was so poorly received that Russo was immediately demoted from the position of 'Head Creative Director' to that of a "consultant". Russo states in an interview that after a meeting with the WWE creative team, he got a call from McMahon who said that Russo should be a "consultant" instead. He was then sent a contract to sign but prior to signing, Russo wanted to explore other options and have more of a "hands-on" influence on the creative product.

They robbed half of it if Russo is to be believed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bummed be didn't name Rope Opera "Ropera"

Jay Sosa

I have. The 6-sided ring era on TNA was extremely watchable, especially compared to their current ouput...

Yep I never quite understood why TNA wasn't more popular back then. They had some amazing talent 5-6 years ago. Koslov, AJ, MMG, Jay Lethal, Petey Williams and so on.

Almost the entire roster was fun to watch, even the women division was pretty good (and very easy on the eyes).

Too bad it all went to shit when Dixie "took over" and got even worse when they signed Hogan and more washed up wrestlers (I mean sure, they always did that but not to that extent). Nowadays I don't even bother watching anymore, but that's mostly cuase it isn't on british TV anymore. At least not when I'm at work, not watching that crap at home ;)

Hasney

Yeah, it's still on Challenge TV but no idea what times.

Hogan and Bischoff did do the most boneheaded things, like getting rid of the 6 sided ring and getting them to go on arena tours. The latter of that has seen them leak money.

megamerican

Yeah, it's still on Challenge TV but no idea what times.

Hogan and Bischoff did do the most boneheaded things, like getting rid of the 6 sided ring and getting them to go on arena tours. The latter of that has seen them leak money.

To be fair I remember that a lot of people hated the six sided ring until they got rid of it. And the tours were a smart idea, they just needed to have actual street teams and marketing efforts, and correctly gauge venue size.

TNA has talent and they have decent enough ideas, they just lack any sort of follow through and everything beyond the wrestling feels halfassed.

strobogo

Banned
Comparing Russo and Kojima is making me so upset right now.

ibyPDDqloyX0Uv.gif

Where is Borking Intensifies.gif when I need it?

Trojan X

Banned
Brock's the best part-timer in the history of professional wrestling.

Completely true. Also it's been mentioned that he is good to work with too in respect to throwing ideas back and forth to create a great match. Evidence of this was the CM Punk summerslam match last year, it was epic despite Paul Haymen's involvement. Though I can't really say anything about his last bout with Big Show at the royal rumble. Whoever thought that one made a massive massive mistake for it was sheer awful. Awfully bad.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Am I the only one who thinks the WWE shouldn't just cater to Punk to have him come back? The guy walked out on the company. The WWE shouldn't treat this like a viable approach to doing business. Don't pay him, and let him stay gone for awhile. It'll make his return more valuable, anyway.

strobogo

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the WWE shouldn't just cater to Punk to have him come back? The guy walked out on the company. The WWE shouldn't treat this like a viable approach to doing business. Don't pay him, and let him stay gone for awhile. It'll make his return more valuable, anyway.

Yes and no. I think it should really make them take pause and look at how they do business if a top star is willing to walk off right before Wrestlemania

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yes and no. I think it should really make them take pause and look at how they do business if a top star is willing to walk off right before Wrestlemania
True, but it's a dangerous precedent from a managerial position, especially since he seems to just be sick and tired of it all. How about you give his position as #2 guy to Bryan, and let a young guy try to fill the void? Punk isn't mad about facing HHH, he's mad that he's not making Cena money. Yet, it seems like he can't handle his own schedule right now. How the hell does he think he can handle Cena's schedule?

strobogo

Banned
I agree that you can't and shouldn't reward Punk for walking out. But you also have to figure out why he left and change what you need to change to make sure others don't do it.

Showaddy

True, but it's a dangerous precedent from a managerial position, especially since he seems to just be sick and tired of it all. How about you give his position as #2 guy to Bryan, and let a young guy try to fill the void? Punk isn't mad about facing HHH, he's mad that he's not making Cena money. Yet, it seems like he can't handle his own schedule right now. How the hell does he think he can handle Cena's schedule?

I can't see it being about the money with Punk, if he already lives within his means why would he be desperate for extra cash?

No doubt he wants to be the top guy in the business though and he's obviously become disillusioned these last few months as he's begun to realise he's never going to be that guy. A mediocre wrestler like Batista coming back and getting a title shot at Mania straight away was just the straw that broke the camels back really.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't see it being about the money with Punk, if he already lives within his means why would he be desperate for extra cash?

No doubt he wants to be the top guy in the business though and he's obviously become disillusioned these last few months as he's begun to realise he's never going to be that guy. A mediocre wrestler like Batista coming back and getting a title shot at Mania straight away was just the straw that broke the camels back really.
The article just posted in the WrassleGAF thread from the F4Wonline newsletter states that his main frustrations were about the money. Yeah, some of it was the product, but it's mainly the money. With PPV bonuses likely dwindling now, I'm guessing he decided that the money wasn't good enough to keep putting himself through all of this.

Showaddy

The article just posted in the WrassleGAF thread from the F4Wonline newsletter states that his main frustrations were about the money. Yeah, some of it was the product, but it's mainly the money. With PPV bonuses likely dwindling now, I'm guessing he decided that the money wasn't good enough to keep putting himself through all of this.

That does make sense; if he was planning to leave anyway in the near future a minor match with no bonus, even at Wrestlemania, probably just didn't seem worth it.

J-Rzez

i'm sure people older than you say the same thing about hogan and flair.

I grew up in the golden era. I'm still saying the attitude era is the real golden era.

That's a load of crap.
The Attitude Era had plenty of flaws. Random booking, lame tasteless angles, bad wrestling.
Plenty of good but it's no infallible time.

The in-ring wrestling today is vastly superior, with much better athletes. This really isn't up for debate.

Attitude era wasn't perfect then, still superior to the nonsense going on in the ring now. Some rap dude wearing sneaks and jean shorts with shitty chains who is supposed to be some watered down, cheap Rock knock off. This Punk guy would have been instantly forgotten if he was around then, and shows how bad of state the talent is in these days. Nothing tag wise that matched Hardy Boys vs Dudleys. Austin, Rock, HHH, all entertaining. These guys now are instantly forgettable, at best, IMHO.

They need to cultivate wrestlers with charisma and energy again. Then work on in-ring antics.

the thing with CM Punk though is he doesn't seem like a burnout. I think he saved a good deal of money, or at least he won't be hurting for WWE payday. i dunno.
Did you watch either of his recent interviews?

Dude sounds like someone who needs a change. I recognize it because I was there with my job a few months ago (a lot less people cared about me quitting though)

elektrixx

Banned
Anyone here subscribed to The Observer? How are the podcasts? How's the audio quality? I don't think I've ever heard Dave's voice from something other than a phone.

Ithil

I grew up in the golden era. I'm still saying the attitude era is the real golden era.

Attitude era wasn't perfect then, still superior to the nonsense going on in the ring now. Some rap dude wearing sneaks and jean shorts with shitty chains who is supposed to be some watered down, cheap Rock knock off. This Punk guy would have been instantly forgotten if he was around then, and shows how bad of state the talent is in these days. Nothing tag wise that matched Hardy Boys vs Dudleys. Austin, Rock, HHH, all entertaining. These guys now are instantly forgettable, at best, IMHO.

They need to cultivate wrestlers with charisma and energy again. Then work on in-ring antics.

I have absolutely no idea how you managed to think R-Truth is a rip-off of the Rock, but R-Truth is a jobber. Not exactly a good diea.

Also, Punk is better at speaking than almost everyone in the Attitude Era, bar Stone Cold, The Rock and Mick Foley. Just because he's "new" doesn't mean he'a automatically worse than the stuff you watched years ago.
He sure as shit is more talented than Triple H ever was.

Anyone here subscribed to The Observer? How are the podcasts? How's the audio quality? I don't think I've ever heard Dave's voice from something other than a phone.

Dave's voice is over the phone usually (except for when he's at the same event as Bryan), but Bryan Alvarez is the host and he has very high quality audio equipment. His other radio shows tend to have the other host in-studio so it's only Dave and some of the interview guests who are phone-in.

Ryu751

Banned
Punk does not deserve half of what Cena gets. Cena is a true professional. Works non stop never does anything wrong. If I owned WWE no doubt I would put the most resources in Cena. I personally think he is one of the worst maineventers ever. Facts are he draws money, and is rock solid professional.

Punk does not deserve half of what Cena gets. Cena is a true professional. Works non stop never does anything wrong. If I owned WWE no doubt I would put the most resources in Cena. I personally think he is one of the worst maineventers ever. Facts are he draws money, and is rock solid professional.

Punk has never said Cena shouldn't be getting what he gets.

Trojan X

Banned
Punk has never said Cena shouldn't be getting what he gets.

Exactly. Also he mentioned numerous time about the need to put others in the spot light too, not just himself.

Heh. I don't like it when people do not understand the big picture of what punk nor any one else is talking about.

Petrie

Banned
Exactly. Also he mentioned numerous time about the need to put others in the spot light too, not just himself.

Heh. I don't like it when people do not understand the big picture of what punk nor any one else is talking about.

I'd wager if it were Bryan in that WM spot and Punk doing what they had planned, we wouldn't having this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom