• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the fans are so tired of Cena then why is he still selling the most merchandise?

When Cena stops selling merch then he stops getting pushed. Its that simple and always has been and always will be.

Last figure I read was that in 2010 John Cena was 22.2% of WWEs total revenue.

The thing is the smarks will talk about how much they hate it and how much they hate Cena but will continue to watch, just to trash it to their friends or on message boards. It's like Cena is somehow "meta-over" as a heel to these types of fans in some weird way.

There is a guy in NXT who is the next Austin, though.

526x297-xea.jpg

REALEST DUDE IN THE ROOM.
God I would love to see a whole arena do the SAWFT chant.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well then, this is the longest angle in the history of wrestling.

Going on two years now and this angle is still going on with no signs of progression. I think TNA handed Aces & 8s better than this "hold back DBryan" angle

I was mainly referencing how they've been leaning heavily on this angle over the last few months, particularly the whole "face of the WWE" program they've been running with Orton.

Striker

The thing is the smarks will talk about how much they hate it and how much they hate Cena but will continue to watch, just to trash it to their friends or on message boards. It's like Cena is somehow "meta-over" as a heel to these types of fans in some weird way.
They think by doing the "Cena sucks" chants every night at shows or whatever is working, despite the chants already occurring nine years earlier in 2005. His push hadn't stopped. His spot on the show has not changed. It won't change because the people in charge don't want it to. It was different in 1996 and 1997 because they had competition like WCW with Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, etc.

If anything, being silent in the matches instead of saying "You can't wrestle" or "Cena sucks" is more effective. Another funny thing is seeing the people who don't like him or want to support anything he said, goes to WWE.com and buys a "Cena Sucks" t-shirt.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Punk will show up to drop pipebombs on the RAW that ends with the WWE Network going live to ensure maximum day-one buys. Until then, it's a month of mainstream media being worked for free hype.

The "it's all a work" stuff has reached meme status.

rvy

Banned
They think by doing the "Cena sucks" chants every night at shows or whatever is working, despite the chants already occurring nine years earlier in 2005. His push hadn't stopped. His spot on the show has not changed. It won't change because the people in charge don't want it to. It was different in 1996 and 1997 because they had competition like WCW with Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash, etc.

If anything, being silent in the matches instead of saying "You can't wrestle" or "Cena sucks" is more effective. Another funny thing is seeing the people who don't like him or want to support anything he said, goes to WWE.com and buys a "Cena Sucks" t-shirt.

Silence also means he's over.

No, seriously. Tweet Vince.

strobogo

Banned
Enzo and Big Cass are the next big things. SWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT is the next YES YES YES.

rvy

Banned
You know what's cool, man? Having a bunch of nobodies who can't get over on their own and firing, for the 10th time, the only guy who could get them over if they keep their mouths shut.

Aiii

So not worth it
In wrestling, nothing is ever for sure.

Now in this case there's very little chance of it being a work, but this is CM Punk we're speaking off and the guy has a history of turning shoot complains into work, so I get it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

2013-10-30-minor-rebellion.jpg

Cass and Enzo are terrible, they are Edge and Christian wannabes. Vince and Cena love them though. They can fill up the six month gap in inbetween pushing Mojo Rawley.

Pavaloo

People who are still salty over Rock beating Punk make me lol

edit:

As for Cena: He's rarely on RAW more than 10 minutes these days. Usually he does 1 segment and he's gone for the rest of the show. Maybe he returns for 5 minutes to chase Randy out the building. His matches don't happen every night, but the last two I can remember recently was him having a long match with Sandow in the middle of the show and the recent 3 on 3 tag at the end of last RAW. I don't think the amount of matches or screen time for Cena is a problem. The problem is the little time he gets is booked with more urgency and importance than anything else on the show.

Kyoufu

People who are still salty over Rock beating Punk make me lol

edit:

As for Cena: He's rarely on RAW more than 10 minutes these days. Usually he does 1 segment and he's gone for the rest of the show. Maybe he returns for 5 minutes to chase Randy out the building. His matches don't happen every night, but the last two I can remember recently was him having a long match with Sandow in the middle of the show and the recent 3 on 3 tag at the end of last RAW. I don't think the amount of matches or screen time for Cena is a problem. The problem is the little time he gets is booked with more urgency and importance than anything else on the show.

Pavaloo pls. You've been killing me this whole thread.

charsace

And apparently the only reason Punk held the belt so long is because the Rock was adamant to Vince that it be Punk that he wins the title from at the rumble. Had Rock not requested it, Punk would never have held the belt that long.

You... you do realize that Vince is almost 70, right?

The Rock thing I knew. Rock is friends with Punk, not Cena. When the Rock and Punk were doing promos with each other I could feel the friendly energy. When Rock and Cena work together you can tell they aren't friendly outside of wrestling.

Pavaloo

I'LL KEEP GOING

Remember when Cena was going to "bury The Shield" last Elimination Chamber? Or "bury Daniel Bryan" at SummerSlam?

Acorn

The Rock thing I knew. Rock is friends with Punk, not Cena. When the Rock and Punk were doing promos with each other I could feel the friendly energy. When Rock and Cena work together you can tell they aren't friendly outside of wrestling.
I'm out of the wrestling loop but doesn't punk shit on Rock every chance he gets?

charsace

I'LL KEEP GOING

Remember when Cena was going to "bury The Shield" last Elimination Chamber? Or "bury Daniel Bryan" at SummerSlam?
No body can bury the Shield. People have been talking about how they want to push Reigns since FCW. Reigns is the next big thing that WWE wants to push to the moon.

Cena didn't keep his spot this long by being dumb. Doing the usual and turning Bryan heel to feed to him would have gotten him heat. WWE fired Bryan and the fans got him rehired. The 15 second squash match killed Sheamus's push. Cena uses him in the other way he uses guys; he uses Bryan to get face reactions. Similar to what Hogan did with popular guys. For a while there Bryan nothing but a "Cena buddy," where Cena did all the talking an fighting for him against the big bad authority, making Bryan look weak in the process. And we all know Cena will go over Wyatt for his "pal" Bryan.

I'm out of the wrestling loop but doesn't punk shit on Rock every chance he gets?
That was just to drum up interest in the match to sell tickets and PPV's.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The show has been pretty meta for sometime now though.

Pavaloo

No body can bury the Shield. People have been talking about how they want to push Reigns since FCW. Reigns is the next big thing that WWE wants to push to the moon.

Cena didn't keep his spot this long by being dumb. Doing the usual and turning Bryan heel to feed to him would have gotten him heat. WWE fired Bryan and the fans got him rehired. The 15 second squash match killed Sheamus's push. Cena uses him in the other way he uses guys; he uses Bryan to get face reactions. Similar to what Hogan did with popular guys. For a while there Bryan nothing but a "Cena buddy," where Cena did all the talking an fighting for him against the big bad authority, making Bryan look weak in the process. And we all know Cena will go over Wyatt for his "pal" Bryan.

That was just to drum up interest in the match to sell tickets and PPV's.

No they didn't. Vince personally told Bryan they were going to "release" him for a little while to appease sponsors. They told him he'd be back once it blew over. He was the last surprise entry to their SummerSlam team. Again, look at Bryan's career in the WWE so far: NXT with the Miz, comes in with Nexus, gets "fired," returns at SummerSlam as a face, goes on to win US championship, loses it, goes on to win MITB, cashes it in to become WHC, loses it, goes on to become tag team champions with Kane, loses them, and fast forward to here. That's a pretty natural progression for 4 years/somebody who seems to be constantly on their way up in the company..

Anyway, can't bury people you've been booked to lose against. Plus it's lose-lose for Cena, you try and put people over in a segment that doesn't involve them and people will hate him for "leeching." Did he need to mention Ziggler in the unified championship promo? Probably not, but ya know, he's looking to steal Zig's reaction

Gorillaz

People talk bout cena heel turn this and cena heel turn that....

Would he actually be more liked/better if he was a heel? I can'tesee that changing much

Carnby

I'm still bummed about Punk leaving! I slept on it and don't feel any better.

This is as bad as when Bret left for WCW.

People talk bout cena heel turn this and cena heel turn that....

Would he actually be more liked/better if he was a heel? I can'tesee that changing much

Most smarks actually really like Cena, but liking babyfaces isn't cool (unless it's an indie darling like Daniel Bryan), so they just want to see him turn so they can cheer for him without looking like giant dorks. :)

Serious answer: Who cares if it would be better? It'd be different, which, at this point, is enough for most people. Besides, a good heel turn can breath new life into a performer who has otherwise gotten stale (nWo Hogan, Hollywood Rock, Douchetista, etc.).

strobogo

Banned
I'm still bummed about Punk leaving! I slept on it and don't feel any better.

This is as bad as when Bret left for WCW.

Well, Bret leaving did absolutely nothing for WCW and led directly into WWE's boom period. Unless you think Punk is going to get a concussion, lose a sibling, lose his parents, and have a stroke in the next 2-3 years.

Carnby

Well, Bret leaving did absolutely nothing for WCW and led directly into WWE's boom period. Unless you think Punk is going to get a concussion, lose a sibling, lose his parents, and have a stroke in the next 2-3 years.

I don't see what this has to do with how I felt when Bret left and how it compares to how I feel about Punk leaving

Cena would be a worse heel than he is a face. Bad is bad, there's nothing you can do about it. He's never going to have a personality that gets him over with anyone except stupid mark kids and superficial, chronically single women.

Cena would be a worse heel than he is a face. Bad is bad, there's nothing you can do about it. He's never going to have a personality that gets him over with anyone except stupid mark kids and superficial, chronically single women.

I was always under the impression Orton had the women market cornered off - Cena is basically little kids exclusively... until they grow up, and start booing.
When Cena's schtick was born, I bet Vince was hoping that all the kids who cheered Cena would eventually grow up and overtake the adults who we're booing him... but that didn't happen

I was always under the impression Orton had the women market cornered off
Nobody has the women market cornered. Even Bo Dallas has one very vocal female fan. Different people like different things. But you can tell if John Cena is taking off his shirt even if he's not on camera.

I still wonder what would have happened if Bret never left or if Pillman never died. I have no doubt that Pillman would have held the title for at least a month, Foley style.

UberTag

Nobody has the women market cornered. Even Bo Dallas has one very vocal female fan. Different people like different things. But you can tell if John Cena is taking off his shirt even if he's not on camera.
I'll never forget the one house show I went to in the early 2000s where some girls sitting nearby were actually going crazy over Crash Holly.
They even started a "Crash is Sexy" chant. And they were being genuine in their enthusiasm.

strobogo

Banned
I still wonder what would have happened if Bret never left or if Pillman never died. I have no doubt that Pillman would have held the title for at least a month, Foley style.

I don't think so. He couldn't work anymore after the car wreck. He might have had an IC run, but I see him being transitioned into a manager/stable leader kind of guy instead of getting title runs.

holy crap Enzo and Cassidy are gold......I just watch all their promos and died laughing such amazing chemistry ...it's going to be ruined by WWE though isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom