• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Wrestling fans are too fickle and short on patience these days. Bryan is hugely over and probably even more so after the Rumble. He'll be champion, it's a slow build and WWE knows that when they finally put him over it's going to be huge. Hell, he's probably more popular now than he would be as a champ. He's playing the underdog role to perfection, as is the storyline, and people are being sucked in. Which is exactly what WWE wants.

Someone noted that this may just be fans frustrations with nearly a decade of Superstars getting the rugged pulled out from underneath them for one reason or another.

Not saying they would all be Superstars, but there were a lot of people who just kind of tasted the main event then dropped back down for the likes of Cena, Orton, Batista, Triple H and the Undertaker.

Not that these folks didn't deserve those spots, but WWE is essentially becoming everything they criticized WCW for during the monday Night Wars.

liger05

I dont watch WWE and have no idea if this is a 'work' but if not get yourself to New Japan Punk.

Go and work for the #1 fighting promotion in the world where you get plenty time to go home.

Trojan X

Banned
He's had about three singles matches on the main roster so far and you think he should be main eventing WM? Maybe WM 31, sure, but he got what he should have gotten in the Rumble this year, a super strong showing and runner up but not winning yet.

That is true for I thought of that too. However, compared to Batista and creating a twist, I would have preferred him out of the two. You happy that Batista won?

In terms of real victor, it should have been CM Punk and Daniel Bryan definitely should have been in the Rumble. Sadly, we didn't get any of those.

Nameless

To be honest. If WWE wanted to make everything going into overdrive in respect to crowd hype and to deliver a heavy spin on thing, they should have made sure this man won the rumble while Batista takes a comfortable 2nd place:

roman_reigns_wallpaper_1_by_ais541890-d61i6q4.jpg

I had to admit. His Superman preparation adrenaline rush pose looks sick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YpxrqlR-kk#t=3368

I'm a big Jesus Reigns fan, and maybe if the WHC was still standalone you go ahead and put that strap on him, but it's too soon for him to be the top dog.

imSTSwNhOZX3k.gif

Kid might be special though. Vince loves him...broken clocks twice aday etc...

Yes. For HBK's retirement match and that was only because HBK is a bit of a ego maniac and wanted to close the show. When Flair "retired" he was given the same option but he chose not to because he knew the title was important.

You're forgetting the previous year where the Taker/HBK match was so good it overshadowed everything.

They did it to save the card, compared to the Mania before. Kind of like if they did Rock/Hogan 2 at Mania instead, it possibly would've mained.

Someone noted that this may just be fans frustrations with nearly a decade of Superstars getting the rugged pulled out from underneath them for one reason or another.

Not saying they would all be Superstars, but there were a lot of people who just kind of tasted the main event then dropped back down for the likes of Cena, Orton, Batista, Triple H and the Undertaker.

Not that these folks didn't deserve those spots, but WWE is essentially becoming everything they criticized WCW for during the monday Night Wars.

I agree with this how much times have wrestling fans been f'ed with that patience is no longer an option because of how certain individuals who are close with certain former wrestlers/suits now get boosted to the top immediately while fan favorites just get absolutely nothing but slap around and humiliated on live television.

Ithil

That is true for I thought of that too. However, compared to Batista and creating a twist, I would have preferred him out of the two. You happy that Batista won?

In terms of real victor, it should have been CM Punk and Daniel Bryan definitely should have been in the Rumble. Sadly, we didn't get any of those.

Of course not, but I don't think Reigns should be winning this year either.

jmdajr

Punk was asked about Batista and Punk said he and "Dave" are good friends, but was upset that he is getting to main event WrestleMania XXX. He went on to say that it is "Daniel Bryan's year."

This could go a number of ways, and I'm hopeful he'll eventually come back. He could legitimately feel burnt out and simply needs a long break before resigning under new terms. Or this could be a negotiating tactic in order to get a better deal. Or he could simply have saved enough to be able to do what he wants to do without worrying too much about money for a while.

Oh well, still plenty of guys I like to watch. Start pushing Cesaro up the card a little now WWE, he's getting over nicely in a gimmick that didn't really make a ton of sense.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk was asked about Batista and Punk said he and "Dave" are good friends, but was upset that he is getting to main event WrestleMania XXX. He went on to say that it is "Daniel Bryan's year."

It's January. He doesn't know that.

krae_man

Yes. For HBK's retirement match and that was only because HBK is a bit of a ego maniac and wanted to close the show. When Flair "retired" he was given the same option but he chose not to because he knew the title was important.

Also the Edge-Taker Streak vs Streak* match was the main event.

*Edge wasn't undefeated at Mania because of that stupid MITB match he worked for 30 seconds despite being injured, and WWE loves to pointlessly ruin streaks, then claim they are still intact.

Yeah. Understandable.

BTW - what on earth happened to RVD? One minute he was pushed and hyped, the next he received limited air time before disappearing.

IIRC he was on a limited appearance deal.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/442671-update-on-rob-van-dam-wwe-return

According to this, his deal allows him to work dates for 90 days, then take time off...but they were wrong about his Rumble appearance, so who knows if that's even true?
If there's a Money in the Bank match at Wrestlemania, we might see him in that as it'd suit him down to the ground.

Nameless

*Edge wasn't undefeated at Mania because of that stupid MITB match he worked for 30 seconds despite being injured, and WWE loves to pointlessly ruin streaks, then claim they are still intact.

Lesnar/Taker will probably close the show then unless there's some game changing swerve planned for the title match. And it could be a complete clusterfuck given these guys have wrestled what, five or six times combined in the last year?

Penguin

And the fact that the match was for the World Heavyweight title....

HHH has a stipulation that if Bryan can beat him at WM, he can have a title shot. Bryan wins. Main event is Orton vs Tista. Someone wins, doesn't matter. As we think the show is coming to an end, D.Bry comes out and says he wants his WM moment and wants his title shot now.

D.Bry wins. Punk comes out to hug him and both hold a belt as the show closes.

AMERICA.

Parch

So he'll take some time off, maybe go work somewhere else. In a couple of years Punk will want back in and the WWE will sign him again. Begin the comeback hype, and the sheeple will pop.
It's what the WWE does, and it's what Punk will do.

Anth0ny

I am fucking certain that if they do HHH/Bryan at Mania, HHH is going over clean.

If Bryan gets a title shot, it'll be at Seattle for Extreme Rules. They're not going to give him that moment at Mania.

Interesting thing from someone from the dirt sheets.

I was at Punk's Portland Comic Con and I didn't feel the need to relay the information until he departed from WWE. There are two key parts of his Q&A that stand out in retrospect.

1. He was very upset about Batista getting the WrestleMania main event, which pretty much spoiled the Royal Rumble. He clarified he was friends with "Dave" and that "they" would not be happy, but he wanted to be honest and it was Daniel Bryan's year. Actually, he said Bryan Danielson but corrected quickly.

2. He was very disinterested in the current product. Asked about promos he defeatedly made comments like "I show up. Someone tells me what to do and I just go out do it and leave." He implied his recent work was not good and was down to only using two moves a match.

Punk was very nice, engaged, and happy with his fans but in regards to wrestling and WWE he was definitely despondent and unhappy.

So I hope that at least shows Punk wasnt purely unhappy that he was being past over but it was more about Batista getting the win over guys like Bryan

Gannd

Banned
He's probably being held off until the Raw after WM.

Makes sense. WM31 is in San Francisco and Sting is from California. Might be able to use that as part of the build up. I hope the WWE does a good job of building him up. I'm more excited about the DVDs/WWE Network possibilites with Sting.

This comes just weeks before the promotion's biggest annual event, Wrestlemania, which will take place in New Orleans on April 6.

This doesn't make sense. Its much more then "just weeks". Its "just months".

Edit: Sting still wrestles? He was always my favorite.

Trakdown

Can't say I blame the guy. Puts on 4-5 star matches fairly consistently, great promo man, busts his ass, is one of the few people on the roster guaranteed to never violate the wellness policy which also means he's working the WWE schedule without the benefit of pain medicine, and they still won't give him the main event (or Daniel Bryan, which I'm sure he'd also support)at WM because Batista's got a movie coming out. Way to show that you appreciate the hard work, WWE.

BadAss2961

Makes sense. WM31 is in San Francisco and Sting is from California. Might be able to use that as part of the build up. I hope the WWE does a good job of building him up. I'm more excited about the DVDs/WWE Network possibilites with Sting.
Of course they won't. The only buildup Sting needs is the couple months they have now to educate the WWE audience on why he's a big deal.

The impact will be watered down if they wait a whole year to do this.

Rapstah

Reigns is still really good though. Wait until he spits on a fan or drives drunk or something to hate him. It's the Jack Swagger Excuse™!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Interesting thing from someone from the dirt sheets.

I was at Punk's Portland Comic Con and I didn't feel the need to relay the information until he departed from WWE. There are two key parts of his Q&A that stand out in retrospect.

1. He was very upset about Batista getting the WrestleMania main event, which pretty much spoiled the Royal Rumble. He clarified he was friends with "Dave" and that "they" would not be happy, but he wanted to be honest and it was Daniel Bryan's year. Actually, he said Bryan Danielson but corrected quickly.

2. He was very disinterested in the current product. Asked about promos he defeatedly made comments like "I show up. Someone tells me what to do and I just go out do it and leave." He implied his recent work was not good and was down to only using two moves a match.

Punk was very nice, engaged, and happy with his fans but in regards to wrestling and WWE he was definitely despondent and unhappy.

So I hope that at least shows Punk wasnt purely unhappy that he was being past over but it was more about Batista getting the win over guys like Bryan

over Bryan? he didnt even get in the match let alone get eliminated from it.

Anth0ny

I get the feeling "CM PUNK" will join "RANDY SAVAGE" and "WE WANT DIVAS" (among many others) as random chants the crowd will start when they are bored out of their skulls by a match.

In other words, I predict there will be cm punk chants during the main event of wrestemania this year.

Valentus

All this horrible thing wouldn't happen if Shane stayed here with us, taking the torch from his father.

Damn you Shane, you give in a silver plate the work of a lifetime to the inferior McMahon!!!

All this horrible thing wouldn't happen if Shane stayed here with us, taking the torch from his father.

Damn you Shane, you give in a silver plate the work of a lifetime to the inferior McMahon!!!

I thought Shane had a ton of bad ideas and was told not to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom