• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude has made it pretty public that he is burnt out and that he hates WWE constantly pushing part timers over full time wrestlers. The reaction to the Rumble was probably it for him.

Probably sucks even more this time that its Batista, some random mid card chump from the mid 00's. Sure it sucks when The Rock did it but its The Rock! Dude is a mainstream superstar and one of the biggest icons of WWE history. Batista is not ether of those things.

Batista is a roided up chump who was the champion of the B show during a dark period in company history. His only other notable achievement was being the 3rd wheel in a tag team with Triple H and Randy Orton and is only getting this shot because of that.

Main event at any other time of the year sure, but you dont hand that guy the biggest match of the year.

Dug

Banned
What does his name mean?

Cool Man Punk?
Punk's first venture into wrestling was a stint in a backyard wrestling federation called the Lunatic Wrestling Federation with his friends and brother Mike Brooks in the mid-late 1990s. He first started using the ring name CM Punk when he was put into a tag team named the Chick Magnets with CM Venom after another performer skipped out on the card.

KissVibes

Banned
CM Punk is fine, look:

R1WXMTG.png

He just got a haircut and some tattoo removal.

What does his name mean?

Cool Man Punk?

Chick Magnet

hertog

Yess, and "Daniel Bryan won't be headlining Wrestlemania any time soon". Nuclear heat.

He should be such a troll character.

Hell play the Sting theme, and let Barrett come out.

"I've got some bad news, Sting didn't sign with the WWE"

Maddocks

it's sad knowing that if stone cold gave his Austin 316 speech today, Vince and H would burry him instead of building him up.

I always felt that Bryan was going to be that great underdog tale of hard work wins. He would win the rumble and then finally get the belt and then he would be a thorn in the side of the new corporation. Instead we get Batista vs Randy.....which will somehow become Batista vs Randy vs cena at WM. Its WWE dropping the ball on a great idea. Showing the kids they are trying to reach that hard work will get you nothing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dude has made it pretty public that he is burnt out and that he hates WWE constantly pushing part timers over full time wrestlers. The reaction to the Rumble was probably it for him.

Probably sucks even more this time that its Batista, some random mid card chump from the mid 00's. Sure it sucks when The Rock did it but its The Rock! Dude is a mainstream superstar and one of the biggest icons of WWE history. Batista is not ether of those things.

Batista is a roided up chump who was the champion of the B show during a dark period in company history. His only other notable achievement was being the 3rd wheel in a tag team with Triple H and Randy Orton and is only getting this shot because of that.

Main event at any other time of the year sure, but you dont hand that guy the biggest match of the year.

The shit about Batista having a Rumble win and WM main event win written into his deal is some crazy late era WCW style shenanigans. I can understand that kind of stipulation for The Rock, like you said, but Dave Batista?

jmdajr

The shit about Batista having a Rumble win and WM main event win written into his deal is some crazy late era WCW style shenanigans. I can understand that kind of stipulation for The Rock, like you said, but Dave Batista?

People gave Jericho a lot of crap for not doing anything when he came back, but I guess in retrospect it's not that bad. He doesn't need any of that.

Despite the Batista hate, I still see much potential once he goes heel.

So this is real and not a work?

Real (for now). It could be a work, but it would be way beyond anything WWE has ever tried in the past, and saying it is a work is giving WWE too much credit, as they are usually afraid to do stories that do not involve their wrestlers appearing on TV.

If it is real right now, WWE could work out something with Punk down the line, and shoehorn the real life situation into a storyline for him to come back in coming months.

WWE could also reference the situation on RAW next week to help push one of the heels on the roster.

Omega

Banned
This probably isn't a work.

After Royal Rumble, most of us has the same mindset. No surprise to see HHH forcing himself into a Mania match no one wants to see not once, but twice. Hopefully Punk really left, he deserves better. So do the other wrestlers in their prime that get no use.

By the time they decide Reigns is suitable for a title push, they'll probably just bring back Ric Flair or some shit and give him the push instead

jmdajr

Real (for now). It could be a work, but it would be way beyond anything WWE has ever tried in the past, and saying it is a work is giving WWE too much credit, as they are usually afraid to do stories that do not involve their wrestlers appearing on TV.

If it is real right now, WWE could work out something with Punk down the line, and shoehorn the real life situation into a storyline for him to come back in coming months.

WWE could also reference the situation on RAW next week to help push one of the heels on the roster.

Yup. Like everything, real life could be turned into a story down the line. Happens ALL THE TIME.

Nameless

As far as D.Brine is concerned if they aren't going have him in the title match, and they're not going to give him Taker, Bryan vs Trips is third biggest match they could make with him. Makes way more sense than Punk anyway given all the real life struggles Bryan has had against the Authority and almost coming to blows with Trips backstage.

'If' done right it could be a pretty big storyline.

jmdajr

Batista needs all this as fuel for his character. Shit on the fans, shit on Bryan. It's all good. It's for the best.

megamerican

I don't think CM Punk can blame anyone for his situation. He cut one amazing promo and then coasted for about two years. Granted the booking was often shit, but they still gave him the belt for an extremely long run. And it was hard to buy into his underdog anarchist persona when he was the second highest paid guy there and had Cena like perks.

It's not a huge surprise to me watching the fans go crazy for Bryan because he still acts like he gives a shit despite whatever bullshit he's told to do. So now you still have the untouchable guys like Cena and Orton in the title scene, and now Bryan has all the fan momentum. So I can see why Punk thought his spot was disappearing, and of course instead of using it he's just up and quits.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batista can work this into an untouchable heel promo, the only problem is if WWE wants Batista to be douchetista again. We all want it. ALL of us.

Cmon Big Dave, throw away the script! Hit another one of those SCORCHING promos like you did with John Cena, fat people, kissing babies, extra tickets, and more!

jmdajr

As far as D.Brine is concerned if they aren't going have him in the title match, and they're not going to give him Taker, Bryan vs Trips is third biggest match they could make with him. Makes way more sense than Punk anyway given all the real life struggles Bryan has had against the Authority and almost coming to blows with Trips backstage.

'If' done right it could be a pretty big storyline.

Well the Authority just caused one of his best buddies "to leave." Plus we have so much non sense from this past year it would make a great storyline.

I've been wanted D.Bry and HHH for sometime now. Personally, I think it's more important than the title match.

I still don't know why it was gonna be Punk vs HHH when D.Bry has made the most sense all this time.

Fucking megaton! The WWE just lost the best star they had on the mic.

Can't say I won't miss him since I was hoping he'd turn heel soon.

Entropia

No One Remembers

What exactly, doe

They're alienating their fan base further and further.

Basically, Daniel Bryan is their most fawned over superstar. Dude has likeability through the roof. Fans are always chanting "YES! YES! YES!", or his name and he always gets the loudest pop of the night. So you gotta think, this guy is gonna be the champ!

What does the WWE do? They let him have the title, for a bout 5 minutes and loses it to Randy Orton. Not to hate on Orton, but the excitement and enjoyment of watching a Bryan or an Orton match is staggering. HHH and Stephanie McMahon create this "The Authority" who basically run the show. It's mirroring real life quite accurately. Basically, they say Bryan doesn't have the look/build that they want as the face of the company. So they've effectively removed Bryan from the main event/world title scene. He curtain jerked at Royal Rumble and didn't even appear in the Royal Rumble match itself. The fans turned their back on the WWE. During the title match of Orton vs. Cena, they booed the entire time, chanted for other wreslters, etc. In the Royal Rumble match, they expected Daniel Bryan to come out at number 30 and hopefully win. Nope. Instead, Rey Mysterio comes out to a chorus of boos.

Dave Batista, who returned on January 20 entered the rumble at #28 and won. He has been gone for 3 years and is there more or less because he's in an upcoming blockbuster movie (Guardians of the Galaxy). He's a part timer that came in and won something that should've gone to someone deserving of a push, whether it be Bryan or otherwise.

With regards to Punk, I think he's seeing that no matter what, as long as Cena is there and as long as Vince, HHH and Stephanie are in charge that you won't get anywhere. It's still a boys club. The WWE refuses to do anything 'dangerous' with Cena (like make him a heel), and they refuse to really bring up any new talent to the top. Punk had his shot and did quite well but then the WWE squashed him back down to the mid-card. I think that helped in his decision to move on.

Parch

He'll be back. Burnout is understandable given the travel and schedule.

It's always such an ego stroke too. Some guys think they're not being used properly, especially when old guys come back and get a push. It's a big reason WWE has such a big turnover rate and new guys only get a one year contract and then disappear. There's only so many guys than can reach elite status.

There will be a time when the WWE will be looking to turn the same old comeback gimmick, so CM Punk will be a prime candidate for another contract. He'll be one of those old guys getting the comeback push.

Nameless

Well the Authority just caused one of his best buddies "to leave." Plus we have so much non sense from this past year it would make a great storyline.

I've been wanted D.Bry and HHH for sometime now. Personally, I think it's more important than the title match.

I still don't know why it was gonna be Punk vs HHH when D.Bry has made the most sense all this time.

Agreed on all counts. People let their hate of Triple H's politicking and decision making cloud their judgement...the guy is a solid fuckin worker and can still go. I think it could be a fantastic match as long they're concerned with good story telling as opposed to making the fans hate them by burying Bry.

Bringing Batista back to WWE would be the same thing as UFC ever bringing back Tim Sylvia.
Yep, perfect analogy. The E is in disarray right now at a time when they got to have everything in order. Their network deal will have them ending back at USA. No other outlet is a good fit for them. Trips wont lose clean to D Brine.

Batista can work this into an untouchable heel promo, the only problem is if WWE wants Batista to be douchetista again. We all want it. ALL of us.

Cmon Big Dave, throw away the script! Hit another one of those SCORCHING promos like you did with John Cena, fat people, kissing babies, extra tickets, and more!

No way. Leave him face. This X Pac heat is fucking great

Haven't they closed with the Taker match before?

Yes. For HBK's retirement match and that was only because HBK is a bit of a ego maniac and wanted to close the show. When Flair "retired" he was given the same option but he chose not to because he knew the title was important.

Nameless

Yes. For HBK's retirement match and that was only because HBK is a bit of a ego maniac and wanted to close the show. When Flair "retired" he was given the same option but he chose not to because he knew the title was important.

Oh ok. I see Shawn's logic. The show stops with the Showstoppa. Can't argue with GOAT there.

They're alienating their fan base further and further.

Basically, Daniel Bryan is their most fawned over superstar. Dude has likeability through the roof. Fans are always chanting "YES! YES! YES!", or his name and he always gets the loudest pop of the night. So you gotta think, this guy is gonna be the champ!

What does the WWE do? They let him have the title, for a bout 5 minutes and loses it to Randy Orton. Not to hate on Orton, but the excitement and enjoyment of watching a Bryan or an Orton match is staggering. HHH and Stephanie McMahon create this "The Authority" who basically run the show. It's mirroring real life quite accurately. Basically, they say Bryan doesn't have the look/build that they want as the face of the company. So they've effectively removed Bryan from the main event/world title scene. He curtain jerked at Royal Rumble and didn't even appear in the Royal Rumble match itself. The fans turned their back on the WWE. During the title match of Orton vs. Cena, they booed the entire time, chanted for other wreslters, etc. In the Royal Rumble match, they expected Daniel Bryan to come out at number 30 and hopefully win. Nope. Instead, Rey Mysterio comes out to a chorus of boos.

Dave Batista, who returned on January 20 entered the rumble at #28 and won. He has been gone for 3 years and is there more or less because he's in an upcoming blockbuster movie (Guardians of the Galaxy). He's a part timer that came in and won something that should've gone to someone deserving of a push, whether it be Bryan or otherwise.

With regards to Punk, I think he's seeing that no matter what, as long as Cena is there and as long as Vince, HHH and Stephanie are in charge that you won't get anywhere. It's still a boys club. The WWE refuses to do anything 'dangerous' with Cena (like make him a heel), and they refuse to really bring up any new talent to the top. Punk had his shot and did quite well but then the WWE squashed him back down to the mid-card. I think that helped in his decision to move on.

Wrestling fans are too fickle and short on patience these days. Bryan is hugely over and probably even more so after the Rumble. He'll be champion, it's a slow build and WWE knows that when they finally put him over it's going to be huge. Hell, he's probably more popular now than he would be as a champ. He's playing the underdog role to perfection, as is the storyline, and people are being sucked in. Which is exactly what WWE wants.

Striker

Agreed on all counts. People let their hate of Triple H's politicking and decision making cloud their judgement...the guy is a solid fuckin worker and can still go. I think it could be a fantastic match as long they're concerned with good story telling as opposed to making the fans hate them by burying Bry.
Triple H caused the matches he had with Bork and Taker get predictable and dull. In fact both times he has tried to make himself look superior to both (re: Taker, they did a "you may have won the battle, but I won the war!" shtick).

KissVibes

Banned
As much as I hate Batista stealing spots and shit, I fuckin' love his heelness

tumblr_n03jlgRgM21qcluu2o1_500.gif

This is a man who got paid, is main eventing everything, and has a HUGE two year deal. Yeah, he's getting kinda bitchy that fans don't care for him and want Bryan more, but he's okay as long as the check clears.

--

He should come out next Monday and cut a promo on how Punk turned his back on the WWE Universe and how he's the new Best in the World and how he's the Cult of Personality....

tumblr_mzqgiayD0T1sj4xr4o1_250.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This smells like a work to me.

Punk was long overdue some time off and it dovetails nicely into the DB being "held back" angle (as if giving a guy a 30 min opener at the rumble isn't a push...) . As usual the trick is that the smarks are the easiest to manipulate, social-media and the internet just allows that method to be used on the widest possible audience.

As anyone who's followed the business for years knows the best way to build a guy up into the megastar level is to turn him into the coyote in a roadrunner cartoon. The fruitless chase is what keeps people interested.

WWE is pushing the old-timers right now because that heritage is part of the appeal of the WWE Network.

As for Batista, kinda shocked that people didn't see the heel positioning coming a mile-off. Big Dave during his time away has been at pains to be as humble as possible in relation to his movie and MMA adventures, and yet soon as he re-enters the WWE universe he's back in full douchebag mode... hmmm.

The championship match was a 15 minute match between cena and batista

And had the taker/hbk match gone first, the fans would have been gassed out by the time the title match started anyway, like what happened with hhh/orton the year before. Right decision was made.

Ithil

I doubt it had anything to do with that. HBK/Taker went on second last at WM 25, and as a result the main event died a thousand deaths. It was logical to put the Taker match on last that year.

Ithil

To be honest. If WWE wanted to make everything going into overdrive in respect to crowd hype and to deliver a heavy spin on thing, they should have made sure this man won the rumble while Batista takes a comfortable 2nd place:

roman_reigns_wallpaper_1_by_ais541890-d61i6q4.jpg

I had to admit. His Superman preparation adrenaline rush pose looks sick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YpxrqlR-kk#t=3368

He's had about three singles matches on the main roster so far and you think he should be main eventing WM? Maybe WM 31, sure, but he got what he should have gotten in the Rumble this year, a super strong showing and runner up but not winning yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reigns ain't ready yet. But he'll be ready in a couple years.

This year should be his big breakout year, barring injury.

Nameless

Triple H caused the matches he had with Bork and Taker get predictable and dull. In fact both times he has tried to make himself look superior to both (re: Taker, they did a "you may have won the battle, but I won the war!" shtick).

Well that falls under booking/decision making. And that's my major concern as well. I could totally picture Trips going over Bryan at Mania then giving then giving him a rematch victory on Raw or the next PPV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom