• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Green Party files for Wisconsin recount, audit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Around 1700 votes before the recount started. And no, a full state recount found that Florida still went to Bush. Bush won by 538 votes.
They didn't do a full state recount, Gore only requested a recount in Democrat leaning districts the 537 vote gap came from that. He was denied a full state recount and then the Supreme court forced Florida to certify the result. It took more than a month to call that election.
Look, I'm not saying Florida should have gone to Gore, just that the recount itself might be worthwhile.

I legit cannot understand how the US has this huge fear of electronic voting sabotage / hacking.

Unless you're thinking that the CIA / NSA would let that happen, then I'd tell you to remove your tinfoil hat.
giphy.gif

I'd feel weird voting on a machine.

kirblar

I legit cannot understand how the US has this huge fear of electronic voting sabotage / hacking.

Unless you're thinking that the CIA / NSA would let that happen, then I'd tell you to remove your tinfoil hat.
Have you missed the past year of Russia hacking the US left and right?

CIA/NSA aren't involved w/ local counties.

And even then, expecting security agencies to secure elections is incredibly dangerous, not least because of how political and partisan the internals of these organisations can be.

This should be required viewing on the matter tbh.
That video kind of highlights why I've never understood the people calling for the USA to institute e-voting. At the very least, I'm suspect of our ability to properly secure an electronic system with the kind of safeguards you'd need.

Enosh

Florida wasn't a full recount
they did a full statewide recount which triggered automatic since the difference was within 0.5%

then they started to dick around with hand recounts, only requesting recounts in places where gore was winning etc

jurgen

Looking forward to the underhanded fuckery Jill Stein pulls with this money. I'd be surprised if 10% is spent towards the recount.

akileese

Even if by some miracle Wisconsin did go to Clinton. It still won't be enough.

If Wisconsin goes to Clinton, and I don't think it will, the argument could be made that there are problems in other states with full blown investigations and recounts being done. It has to start somewhere if it is to be done.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
She does respect the results of the election. It's just that nobody wants a President Trump so they're investigating the GOP's voter manipulation tactics to influence public perception.

problem brother?

If no one wanted a President Trump he would have lost.

And when this returns nothing that will be confirmed again.

If no one wanted a President Trump he would have lost.

And when this returns nothing that will be confirmed again.

He lost the popular vote by a large degree. Most voting US citizen really don't want him as president.

You're mistaking an outlier result caused by a weird selection box for the entire population.

If the popular vote and the selection were the same, there would be zero argument for feelings of discontent. However, in NC, a GOP candidate has lost both and still tries to steal it. So in terms of "how fair is fair", that point is made moot by GOP shenanigans by default. If you want to talk about fair, how about voting on a Supreme Judge instead of holding democracy hostage for a year? Or how about saying you're going to accept the outcome of the election regardless of the result, much like your opponent does?
You're essentially using a version of "both sides are the same", which is more than just silly at this point. I think you didn't mean to, but that's how it can be seen.

edit: oh, apologies for the pile-on. I still had this tab open.

OuterLimits

Well, the Trump team has responded.

Kellyanne Conway to Bloomberg news.

"What a pack of sore losers. After asking Trump and his team a million times on the campaign trail if he would accept the election results, it turns out Team Hillary and their new BFF Jill Stein can't accept reality. Rather than to adhere to the tradition of graciously conceding, they have opted to waste millions of dollars and dismiss the democratic process."

manakel

Well, the Trump team has responded.

Kellyanne Conway to Bloomberg news.

"What a pack of sore losers. After asking Trump and his team a million times on the campaign trail if he would accept the election results, it turns out Hillary Clinton and her new BFF Jill Stein can't accept reality. Rather than to adhere to the tradition of graciously conceding, they have opted to waste millions of dollars and dismiss the democratic process."
Lmao "her new BFF Jill Stein." That sounds like a quote that would be taken out of Mean Girls or something.

It's hard to believe the amount of good that could be done in the world if the $5 million specifically donated for this had been used for literally any charitable endeavor.
Sort of ironic this comment was made on a day when Americans trample each other for the chance to save $20 on a new 4K TV. People spend money on useless stuff all the time. Who gives a shit.

More people voted for Hillary.

The electoral collage isn't exactly a beloved system.
Which means absolutely nothing.
Sort of ironic this comment was made on a day when Americans trample each other for the chance to save $20 on a new 4K TV. People spend money on useless stuff all the time. Who gives a shit.
That seems like pointless whataboutism. I'm sure Stump isn't exactly a fan of consumerism manipulation on Black Friday either.

Which means absolutely nothing.

There are plenty of arguments it should mean everything.

Some would argue it's the electoral college meddling with the will of people.

And it means America has a President that most people who voted didn't want, full stop. That isn't nothing by any means.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe this is just a pre-emptive move by comrade Stein to find nothing where there was actually starting to be some scrutiny over something that may well have been irregular.

Ac30

To be fair, it's not a big stretch to believe Clinton is behind this.

I'd like to think Clinton isn't stupid enough to do this. Then again...

But yes it's not a stretch, which means it's gonna get crazy airtime even though Clinton probably has squat to do with this. She conceded half a month ago.

blackw0lf

This is why the aduit is important, even if it doesn't change one of the results. From one of the cybersecurity experts

https://medium.com/@jhalderm/want-t...d-look-at-the-ballots-c61a6113b0ba#.pv5qngde4

...Were this year’s deviations from pre-election polls the results of a cyberattack? Probably not. I believe the most likely explanation is that the polls were systematically wrong, rather than that the election was hacked. But I don’t believe that either one of these seemingly unlikely explanations is overwhelmingly more likely than the other. The only way to know whether a cyberattack changed the result is to closely examine the available physical evidence — paper ballots and voting equipment in critical states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, nobody is ever going to examine that evidence unless candidates in those states act now, in the next several days, to petition for recounts....

Examining the physical evidence in these states — even if it finds nothing amiss — will help allay doubt and give voters justified confidence that the results are accurate. It will also set a precedent for routinely examining paper ballots, which will provide an important deterrent against cyberattacks on future elections. Recounting the ballots now can only lead to strengthened electoral integrity, but the window for candidates to act is closing fast.....

Well I saw this pop up on some websites while I was looking around. Seems like he isn't pleased.

"This is a scam by the Green Party for an election that has already been conceded, and the results of this election should be respected instead of being challenged and abused, which is exactly what Jill Stein is doing," Trump said in a statement

Trump calls recount effort a scam

Here's also a link to a twitter from Ben Jacobs that shows a picture of the statement.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/802605889555484676

There are plenty of arguments it should mean everything.

Some would argue it's the electoral college meddling with the will of people.

And it means America has a President that most people who voted didn't want, full stop. That isn't nothing by any means.
You can argue that it should mean everything.

In the context of this election, it does mean nothing. They weren't playing for a popular vote, so the popular vote is irrelevant. We have no idea what the election would have looked like if we had them gunning for the popular vote. It's a silly and tired line of attack.

Well I saw this pop up on some websites while I was looking around. Seems like he isn't pleased.

Trump calls recount effort a scam

Here's also a link to a twitter from Ben Jacobs that shows a picture of the statement.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/802605889555484676

Where there is smoke.

I'm convinced Trump cheated now. Those last couple of weeks leading to Election Day was the height of his paranoia about election fraud. Given how much he projects it is pretty evident he was fixing the results. Now he wants no one to investigate it?

FStubbs

I'm going to throw my hat into the conspiracy theory ring: Hillary is most definitely behind this.

If Hillary were controlling Jill Stein .... Jill Stein never would have run for president, since almost 100% of her votes were siphoned off of Hillary.

Try again.

If Hillary were controlling Jill Stein .... Jill Stein never would have run for president, since almost 100% of her votes were siphoned off of Hillary.

Try again.
salary as president for four years of excruciating 24/7 work = $400K*4=$1.6M

half of the recount 'lawyer fees' & 'election integrity efforts' for a few days' of gofundme donations = $3M

not even including the income from a few months of campaigning.

i know which I would pick.

Jackson

Try again.

Jill Stein has no credibility to lose by requesting a recount and she has zero chance of winning the election with a recount. But if Hillary wins the recount maybe Jill Stein gets a sweet spot on Hillary's cabinet... And Hillary doesn't look like a fool if the recount comes up empty.

It's pretty much win-win for all parties involved.

I'd say at the worst it's 50/50 Hillary is pulling the strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom