• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Trump on pace to surpass 8 years of Obama's travel spending in 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are you seriously arguing that Trump's spending is Obama's fault?

It's also Obama's fault that Trump is such a hypocrite, I mean, if Obama wasn't President then Trump couldn't have said all those hypocritical things.

Amir0x

Banned
It was Trump who mocked that USA gov spent 4billion building the new airforce one under Obama. Its his fault its a expensive plane to run and fill with secret service men

Remarkable, simply remarkable. There is no bone in your body you won't shatter into a billion pieces trying desperately to contort your way to blaming Obama and avoiding admitting that Trump's presidency is an abject disaster. In the mental gymnastics, you have the gold medal in the Olympics. Gabby Douglas aint got shit on you.

It's Obama's fault he goes to Mar-A-Lago almost every weekend and wastes taxpayer dollars, it's Obama's fault that Melania despises Trump so much she wants to waste it in New York as far away from the man as possible, it's Obama's fault Trump wants to fuck his daughter, it's Obama's fault Trump campaign is filled with people with shocking ties to Russia.

The average American voter, lady and gentlemen.

golf course is where successful people go to make big, tremendous deals that reap benefits to many. the longer the round of the golf, the bigger the deal. maybe if obama spent more time on golf course instead of playing hoops in white house backyard trump wouldn't have inherited such a big mess.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It was Trump who mocked that USA gov spent 4billion building the new airforce one under Obama. Its his fault its a expensive plane to run and fill with secret service men
Unbelievable.

Maybe given it's so expensive he should stop using it to fucking fly around to play golf.

BajiBoxer

Banned

The USA didn't spend 4 billion building the Airforce One under President Obama.

The current Airforce One program is nearing the end of its lifecycle, so President Obama ordered the replacements to be developed for future administrations, as is tradition. It will be rolled out probably after the current term is over.

As for the costs, there was no "spiraling out of control" as Trump put it. Around 4 billion is reasonable for two Airforce One planes, as that cost will be spread out over 12 years.

The "over 4 billion" number Trump complained about is a rounding up of a 3.something number, which is an estimate asuming cost overruns of the original 2.7 billion estimate.

We're also talking about TWO giant planes that are designed to be mobile in air command centers that can be flown perpetually with in air refueling, missle defence systems, secure communications anywhere, etc. etc.

These things aren't like Trump's private jets, and President Obama never took the new ones out for a spin because they don't exist yet. If President Trump wants to spend less, he can make that change. President Obama didn't spend that money, and he didn't tell anyone "hey, lets spend 4 billion on a new Airforce One" like Trump makes it sound.

You mean the planes that haven't even been built yet? It's magically making the current AF1 more expensive to fly?

What?

Chumly

LOL I bet you thought you were smart with that little quip. Too bad obama didn't even spend that money.

BajiBoxer

Banned
LOL I bet you thought you were smart with that little quip. Too bad obama didn't even spend that money.

Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure if he was legitimately blaming Obama, or using sarcasm to demonstrate again what a lying moron Trump is.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure if he was legitimately blaming Obama, or using sarcasm to demonstrate again what a lying moron Trump is.

This is the other thing that makes this whole election infuriating. The only way one could support Trump means contorting reason to such laughable ends that posts like that seem completely serious now. If he was being sarcastic... lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Honestly, his expenditure on flying isn't really big of an issue to me if I'm being honest...
How about the fact that he stays at his own resorts practically every weekend, where taxpayer money is funneled right into his own pockets?

kmag

No way that's possible; Obama played 333 rounds during his 8 years. However, I am sure Trump would beat that easily, IF, heaven forbid, he stays in there for 8 years.

Another fun fact: Obama waited until April 26, 2009 to play his first round as President. Trump waited...2 weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/politics/trump-outpacing-obama-golf/

About 70% of the rounds Obama played was at the Golf course on Andrews Air Force Base (one does wonder why a US Air Force base has a golf course). Andrews AFB is under an hour from the Whitehouse by car, so a President could easily fit in a round of golf Saturday or Sunday morning.

333 rounds of golf works out to 0.8 rounds per week during Obama's presidency. Trump would have to could get to 208 with 1 round per week in 4 years, but would need to do 1.6ish a week to beat Obama in 4 years. I think that's doable if he's at his resorts each weekend, because he's also going to have multiple long holidays per year as well.

Monocle

The USA didn't spend 4 billion building the Airforce One under President Obama.

The current Airforce One program is nearing the end of its lifecycle, so President Obama ordered the replacements to be developed for future administrations, as is tradition. It will be rolled out probably after the current term is over.

As for the costs, there was no "spiraling out of control" as Trump put it. Around 4 billion is reasonable for two Airforce One planes, as that cost will be spread out over 12 years.

The "over 4 billion" number Trump complained about is a rounding up of a 3.something number, which is an estimate asuming cost overruns of the original 2.7 billion estimate.

We're also talking about TWO giant planes that are designed to be mobile in air command centers that can be flown perpetually with in air refueling, missle defence systems, secure communications anywhere, etc. etc.

These things aren't like Trump's private jets, and President Obama never took the new ones out for a spin because they don't exist yet. If President Trump wants to spend less, he can make that change. President Obama didn't spend that money, and he didn't tell anyone "hey, lets spend 4 billion on a new Airforce One" like Trump makes it sound.
Stop challenging my simplistic views with your information!

Faiz

About 70% of the rounds Obama played was at the Golf course on Andrews Air Force Base (one does wonder why a US Air Force base has a golf course). Andrews AFB is under an hour from the Whitehouse by car, so a President could easily fit in a round of golf Saturday or Sunday morning.

They have a golf course (actually several) for the same reason any military base has recreational facilities. The armed services collectively have several hundred golf courses to make available convenient and activities available to service men and women, along with their families. At one time Andrews housed over 10,000 people.

And while I can't comment directly on the finances involved, I can say that it's not like it is free. There are memberships, green fees, concession sales, etc etc that, at the very least, offset the costs of operating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom