• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US drops its largest conventional bomb (MOAB) on ISIS target in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Launching missiles was the only action Trump made that got lavishing praise from the media. As Trump understands things now: bomb people, get popular.

Yeah, of course he pulls out a fucking moab. Lol.

He's going to drop a nuke on someone before he's done. Even if to kill some Isis roaches.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And will probably kill more civilians we don't care about am i right?

When someone says "isis target" just replace that with "general area we think terrorists might be"

And to use a bomb of that magnitude..

Sorry, when you've killed over 1000 civilians in strikes you literally don't even mention since taking office, there is no real benefit of a doubt there...the people Trump has controlling the military are even more disregarding of things than Obama's drone warfare program.

Rembrandt

Banned
And 21kT is NOTHING. The US and the USSR quickly started developing thermonuclear weapons capable of yields in the megaton range, or MILLIONS of times more powerful than this bomb.

Nuclear weapons are terrifying on an existential level.

Pretty much. Not even worth comparing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't even knew about this and people here are blaming him. People need to focus, the US does this with or without Trump in charge. After all, it was Obama that ordered a single strike with 108 bombs in Lybia just before leaving office (sent directly from the US by B-2 as a way of showing Russia their power).

I will say this, the bombing may have been planned for a couple of months, but something tells me that lots of plans like this get tossed around and planned out, but someone still has to be willing to push the button and sign off on these missions. There's probably a shitton of military plans that never get carried out despite a lot of planning. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't approved fairly recently.

What we are seeing play out more and more here is a Bush-era revival. Sickening.

Yeah Fuckin love how Trump made such a big deal about not supporting the war (he did) and now all he's done since taking office is escalate shit further

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't even knew about this and people here are blaming him. People need to focus, the US does this with or without Trump in charge. After all, it was Obama that ordered a single strike with 108 bombs in Lybia just before leaving office (sent directly from the US by B-2 as a way of showing Russia their power).

He's the commander in chief. At the end of the day he is responsible for military operations.

If he didn't know about this that would be even more terrifying.

UFO

Banned
How is a bomb with a blast radius of a mile not considered a WMD?

To put it in perspective- the MOAB has the power of an 11-ton weapon, the nuke dropped on Hiroshima was 1.5Kton, making this .00735% as powerful. The largest US nuke detonated was 15MTon, making this .00000074% as powerful.

Cobra84

CBS is claiming, "The Afghanistan strike had been in the works for a number of months. The weapon was brought into Afghanistan specifically for this mission, Martin reports."

What are these facts doing here? I just want to pointlessly scream nukes and Trump!

The 15,00 pound daisy cutter that was used to destroy tunnels in Afghanistan has been retired, leaving the MOAB as the only option for a large bomb. Not really that exciting.

Spicer "Weapons of mass destruction will not be tolerated"

sigh, what a fucking joke

A B-2 can carry 40,000 pounds of bombs. Is it a weapon of mass destruction?

jonezer4

How many civilians did we just murder?

And how many of those that survived or lost loved ones now hate America more than they ever would have before? These large-scale, indiscriminate bombings do nothing but perpetuate the cycle of hatred/violence.

Whether Trump or Obama were ultimately responsible for this, I vehemently disagree with it.

Lautaro

He's the commander in chief. At the end of the day he is responsible for military operations.

If he didn't know about this that would be even more terrifying.

Is the President supposed to approve every bombing in Afghanistan? I'm seriously asking because it sounds pretty inefficient.

Anyway, of all the things Trump does, keep fighting ISIS in Afghanistan is not something that really horrifies me.

Madness

And 21kT is NOTHING. The US and the USSR quickly started developing thermonuclear weapons capable of yields in the megaton range, or MILLIONS of times more powerful than this bomb.

Nuclear weapons are terrifying on an existential level.

13.gif

Russian Father of All Bombs thermobaric bomb. The pressure cloud is instant before the snap explosion.

I would say this is essentially more terrifying because you have nuclear level style devastation, without any environmental after effects and so people more willing to use it. No radiation, nothing. You have just evaporated all matter and eviscerated in a large radius. If this enters widespread US and Russian and future Chinese or Indian use, you could see a whole new form of warfare emerge. You could say what is the difference between this and a predator drone strike, cruise or scud missile. But this is a very deadly new style of bomb.

RDreamer

To put it in perspective- the MOAB has the power of an 11-ton weapon, the nuke dropped on Hiroshima was 1.5Kton, making this .00735% as powerful. The largest US nuke detonated was 15MTon, making this .00000074% as powerful.

Holy crap, that's just staggering.

koji kabuto

How established is ISIS in Afghanistan? Are they allied with Taliban?

ISIS wants to take everyone down, Latterly everyone.
Doesn't matter to them if you are a jihadist or liberal, if they were Americans they would be the kind of people who would believe in pizzagate, Sandy Hook conspiracy and reptilians.

Inuhanyou

Is the President supposed to approve every bombing in Afghanistan? I'm seriously asking because it sounds pretty inefficient.

Anyway, of all the things Trump does, keep fighting ISIS in Afghanistan is not something that really horrifies me.

He's the one who said he wants to INTENTIONALLY TAKE OUT THE FAMILIES OF ISIS. committing war crimes by intentionally blowing civilians to bits. What nuance is there???

Lot of hyperbole here. It's not like they dropped this on a town.

Its essentially a large bomb that doesn't penetrate but relies on a massive concussive force that can be amplified by canyons and caves. If you find an ISIS base spread over a large area in a canyon you drop this to wipe out the base. If you find that they are spread out in caves you drop this outside to allow the concussive force to go down the tunnels. This is used on cave systems that can't be penetrated by traditional penetrating weapons.

This was dropped on a cave complex.

The only other way to clear out an area like this is to send boots on the ground and hope they find all the hiding spots. I guess that is what people would prefer?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-drops-mother-bombs-afghanistan-largest-nuclear-weapon/story?id=46778853

Ponn

Banned
This is just the start. Trump had a boner waiting to get into office to drop bombs and nukes on countries, egotistical rich prick is going to get off on killing people and ordering people to their death.

I imagine Trump murdered a lot people today that hate America with his weapon. I wonder how many new people he made hate America today, or even made some want to be radical now.

Yea they have the 100Mt that was designed, but the 50Mt was tested. Also it's freaky since that was back in 1961.....who knows what's going on now.

VaJvodr.png
We likely have the physical capacity to make much, much bigger bombs, but part of the reason we moved away from just making bigger blasts is that they became impractically large long before we hit Tsar Bomba size. It's highly unlikely anyone is making anything bigger than Tsar Bomba, or even close to it. There's literally no conceivable case where a 50 megaton bomb is remotely necessary, at least shy of an Independence Day-like alien invasion lol. We can be just as effective with a fraction of the yield, and even a "tiny" nuclear bomb is both devastating beyond belief and basically a guaranteed escalation to end-of-world event simply due to the quantity of bombs.

Its essentially a large bomb that doesn't penetrate but relies on a massive concussive force that can be amplified by canyons and caves. If you find an ISIS base spread over a large area in a canyon you drop this to wipe out the base. If you find that they are spread out in caves you drop this outside to allow the concussive force to go down the tunnels. This is used on cave systems that can't be penetrated by traditional penetrating weapons.

The only other way to clear out an area like this is to send boots on the ground and hope they find all the hiding spots. I guess that is what people would prefer?
This is definitely a far more preferable option to sending in troops.

FTF

It's unfortunately a side effect of the terrible administration. There's just no faith in them at all so the immediate reaction is a negative one. Until they prove otherwise, they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Saya

How many people were killed?

I'm afraid we are going to see more and more of this to distract from the Trump/Russia investigation.

This was dropped on a cave complex.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-drops-mother-bombs-afghanistan-largest-nuclear-weapon/story?id=46778853

I get it, but it's fairly unnerving to see the military pulling out some of its biggest, never-before used weaponry right at a time when things are already feeling uneasy and Trump is banging on the war drum.

Inuhanyou

Did I miss something? was the bomb dropped in a town?

When it comes to the military, you can't just trust them when they call something "a terrorist target" considering all the other terrorist targets that ended up not being so terroristy

"At that moment, when all those civilians died, then he finally became the President of the USA."

Fuck. Don't get me started

shoplifter

Stop talking sense

Skytylz

Banned

You have to multiply by 100 to get percentages btw. Your underselling this bomb by two orders of magnitude.

Loudninja

It's unfortunately a side effect of the terrible administration. There's just no faith in them at all so the immediate reaction is a negative one. Until they prove otherwise, they don't get the benefit of the doubt.
Its annoying how people some STILL think this administration deserve the benefit of the doubt ever it pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom