• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US drops its largest conventional bomb (MOAB) on ISIS target in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

This is sounds like a mega version of Barrel Bombs!

How are Civilians not going to get caught up in this?

Trump the irrational is responsible for ANY civilian deaths.
Its highly unlikely that any civilians were hit. Afghanistan is very remote without anybody around for miles and miles. The only way it did was if a nomad was really unlucky and in the area, but the chances of that are slim.
i like this one:

"This thing weighs 10 ton. You could drop 10 ton of anything onto a target and it will destroy the target.Ten ton of toilet paper will destroy a target...."
Lol some people...

Zophar

I don't think I will ever forgive people who justified letting Clinton lose because Trump would be "better" at foreign policy. You goddamn dense motherfuckers.

FTF

Whoa...that's a huge blast radius, the civilian casualties I fear could be high so really need to see what the isis to civilian casualty #s are.

Like most others though, I have no faith in anyone associated with this administration, etc.

Not that this isn't a bad thing, because it definitely is. But this bomb isn't even remotely comparable to a nuclear bomb. According to the Wikipedia article on the MOAB, its yield is 11 tons. The bomb dropped on Hiroshima was approximately 1,400 times more powerful than that.

Even so, what the fuck does President Fuck-stick think he's doing?

Trump probably wanted to use a nuke but after having a sit down he settled for the MOAB. He's the type of simpleton that thinks tossing all the bombs at his enemies will win him a war and he'll get a victory parade like in the movies kinda like W.

I'm not one to defend Trump but this is an honest question - are civilian casualties and collateral damage not inevitable in warfare?

Again that's not defending this particular action, just speaking broadly.

Ekdrm2d1

So the Alt-Right doesn't want to start wars and to start bombing nations..

Will they appreciate this ISIS target though?

Wolf Blitzer is probably begging CNN to let him cover the explosion stuff.

He was genetically engineered to cover war and explosions. Fires and smoke are OK too.

louiedog

Just to get a better idea of the blast radius of this bomb, this is how it looks over NYC:

Goodbye Chicago Loop.

152daf1436.jpg

TheZink

Whoa...that's a huge blast radius, the civilian casualties I fear could be high so really need to see what the isis to civilian casualty #s are.

Like most others though, I have no faith in anyone associated with this administration, etc.
It's been reported they dropped it in a remote area of tunnels isis has been using

Kyzer

Banned
Guys remember when they said it was Hillary who was more a warhawk?

this is so irrelevant but if you really wanna bring it up she literally agreed with his strike in syria and said we should have done more than that. theres really no reason to bring it up anyways

its the far right and far left who dont agree with intervention in syria, ironically

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
its the desert...its even more empty than MGSV would have you think

im not sure how many ISIS we even killed

Probably not many, considering the MOAB is an airburst bomb and not a bunker buster. The MOAB creates a massive firestorm, but using it against underground tunnels doesn't seem like what it's made for. I guess the idea could be that the tunnels are a soft enough target that it could penetrate and send the firestorm through the tunnels, burning everyone and everything out.

its the desert...its even more empty than MGSV would have you think

im not sure how many ISIS we even killed
Idk about that. Isis doesn't seem to be the type of people to just huddle in a small circle in a middle of a nowhere.. achin district according to Wikipedia has a population of 95k in 2006. Was the home of mujaheddin too during the soviet occupation.

Kinyou

i like this one:

"This thing weighs 10 ton. You could drop 10 ton of anything onto a target and it will destroy the target.Ten ton of toilet paper will destroy a target...."

"Weapon manufacturers hate him!

How one man's simple trick saved the US military billions"

Kyzer

Banned
Idk about that. Isis doesn't seem to be the type of people to just huddle in a small circle in a middle of a nowhere.. achin district according to Wikipedia has a population of 95k in 2006. Was the home of mujaheddin too during the soviet occupation.

there was a tunnel system that we targeted with the MOAB, I think that was the main goal
Probably not many, considering the MOAB is an airburst bomb and not a bunker buster. The MOAB creates a massive firestorm, but using it against underground tunnels doesn't seem like what it's made for. I guess the idea could be that the tunnels are a soft enough target that it could penetrate and send the firestorm through the tunnels, burning everyone and everything out.

LT. General on CNN said its exactly good for this kind of thing and was developed not only for saddam targets but to take out remote caves

I'm not one to defend Trump but this is an honest question - are civilian casualties and collateral damage not inevitable in warfare?

Again that's not defending this particular action, just speaking broadly.

Yes innocents will die in war. You try to minimize them however. Using an ordinance with a 1 mile radius of destruction instead of more precise weaponry pretty much says you don't give a fuck about who you kill.

kess

Argue with the rightest of the right, and they'll tell you there is no such thing as collateral damage.

So much for surgical strikes, when you can denude the countryside just to make a point.

Vixdean

If the idea was to destroy a tunnel system with one strike then I guess that makes sense. Honestly I could see Obama prohibiting use of these things just for the optics, even if it made military sense.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yeah they had to reduce it or else their bombers would get caught up in it if my memory serves correct.
Tsar Bomba could have theoretically yielded as much as 100 megatons, but it would have resulted in a dangerous level of nuclear fallout (approximately 25% of all fallout produced since the invention of nuclear weapons in 1945). Additionally, the delivery plane would not have had sufficient time to retreat to a safe distance. Therefore, to minimize nuclear fallout, the third stage incorporated a lead tamper instead of a uranium-238 fusion tamper. It has been speculated that the second stage used this method as well.
http://www.atomicheritage.org/history/tsar-bomba

e_i

I wonder why the news media has been slow to report this. Huffingtonpost should have a screaming headline right now.

Yes innocents will die in war. You try to minimize them however. Using an ordinance with a 1 mile radius of destruction instead of more precise weaponry pretty much says you don't give a fuck about who you kill.

Right.

Just clarifying that people understand that as awful as it is innocents will die. Not disagreeing that this seems like an irresponsible move.

Piggus

I don't think I will ever forgive people who justified letting Clinton lose because Trump would be "better" at foreign policy. You goddamn dense motherfuckers.

Neither will I, but do you actually think Clinton wouldn't have given the go-ahead here? If you have an opportunity to take out a bunch of ISIS tunnels out in the middle of nowhere, you take it. Any president would have okayed this.

Right.

Just clarifying that people understand that as awful as it is innocents will die. Not disagreeing that this seems like an irresponsible move.

How can it be called an irresponsible move when we don't even know where it was used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom