• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Advanced Warfare Doritos & Mt. Dew in-game Gear!

li bur

I would never understand why pepsi are so adamant to target gaming community with their mt dew and doritos brand.

TomShoe

Banned
a8c.jpg

So "buy stuff from our marketing partners to unlock in-game ads"?
I hate all the people quoted.
"Thrilled iconic brands compelling, gamers just need to fuel-up and login"
Reading this stuff you can just feel your brain melt away. My sympathies to the people whose job it is to write up these things.

Jawmuncher

As gamers have come to expect year after year, Mountain Dew is bringing back tried and true gamer-favorite - Mtn Dew Game Fuel Citrus Cherry - and a bold new flavor – Mtn Dew Game Fuel Lemonade - for a limited time only. Both products will hit shelves in the U.S., beginning October 6.

YES great news!
I didn't get any Game Fuel last year. The Cherry has so much nostalgia for me that drinking it always bring back good memories. This is the best thing about COD every year.

“We’re thrilled to bring together with Call of Duty such iconic brands as Mountain Dew and Doritos in a compelling and fun way that benefits both of our respective communities,” said Ashley Maidy, vice president of licensing and partnerships, Activision Publishing, Inc. “So, with the exclusive in-game gear waiting for DEW and Doritos consumers, gamers just need to fuel-up and login.”

“As in-game experiences evolve, the DEW and Doritos brands are constantly looking for ways to bring those cutting-edge ideas to life offline through unique promotions and exclusive opportunities for our fans,” said Greg Lyons, vice president of marketing, Mountain Dew. “As a brand with an endemic gaming heritage, we are excited to be able to offer this massive gaming community unique access to Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’s next generation ‘Supply Drop’ platform.”

“The Dew and Doritos ‘Fuel Up for Battle’ promotion is a great example of PepsiCo’s strength in delivering an integrated food and beverage marketing campaign,” said Jeff Klein, vice president of marketing, Frito-Lay. “Our unique ability to bring consumers exclusive experiences through our long-standing legacy of partnerships and programs around blockbuster video games, demonstrates why we are Better Together.”
What a frothing stew of meaningless words and insincere sentiment.

This is obnoxious. Its not like Ps4 is actually called Playstation 4, the slightly better hardware game console from Sony. MS needs to get off their high horse about that "official name" imo...

On actual topic athand before I lose my mind about shinanigans, I am legitimately excited to try that lemonade.. I love me some lemonade..

Do you have no understanding of press releases?

Thats how everyone does it.

lazygecko

I love reading press releases. They're like their own little separate language. I wonder if there's some online generator somewhere that just creates random press releases. Really. I'd be.... thrilled to know.

Virtually nothing. If this was Coke and Pringles doing the promotion the thread wouldn't have made it past 100 replies. I love you, GAF, but sometimes...

It's not about Doritos or Mtn Dew in general. It's more about the cheesy wording, i.e. using 'gamer fuel', to market trash food in a way as if it certainly belongs to and is associated with a hobby that is so diverse and is also completely unrelated to food or beverages.

Cheech

Why do you care so much that the items in question aren't healthy?

I don't think that any reasonable adult American gamer actually buys into this shit. It's pretty silly to label it as "this is so American and dude bro," imo. It's probably mostly targeted at kids, which is pretty sick in its own right. Yay let's pump our children full of the poison that is HFCS!

Sean nails it. This is as reprehensible as marketing cigarettes to children.

I'm not some alarmist health crazy person, but I have children and it is stunning how many of their peers are fat. And not just overweight, but FAT, and it is ridiculous. Those kids are going to have all kinds of health issues down the road if their parents don't wake up and stop feeding them this shit.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sad to say I helped this along.

Me and my friends NEVER buy Doritos, or even chips. But when Halo 4 came out, I must of bought 30 bags of fucking Doritos for that DoubleXP.

Spades

It's just a promotion. Companies do it all the time. Oh the outrage.

This. A million times this.

Promotions are used to get fans of one thing to try something else. I'd be happy to buy a couple of bags of chips or a couple of bottles of soda if it meant getting some sort of reward for a game I enjoy playing.

It's called cross-promotion, guys. There is nothing evil about it.

WARP10CK

Banned
i guess COD and doritos and mountain dew are all synonymous with each other?

ibmm9EPNyHz0TI.png

Can you imagine private military corporations that depends on ads to make a living ?
No.... well neither did I but sledgehammer games sure did, jeez how involved is Geoff Keighley with this game anyway.

Syntsui

What is the problem with this? Gamers in general eat junk food, junk food brand try to appeal to gamers. Seems logical.

Ramirez

The only thing more obnoxious than the press release is the outrage over fucking nothing. Don't like it? Don't participate.

Top Bottom