• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Trojita said:
Kill Cams are laggy and not really fun to watch like in MW2.

Are you fucking kidding me? You're saying the MW2 killcams weren't laggy and were fun to watch?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't know what game you were playing, but it sure as fuck wasn't MW2.

DrBo42

Leveling in Combat Training is completely separate from the normal MP right? Seems like that's a great way to try out and buy weapons/perks without wasting your legit points.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
AnEternalEnigma said:
Are you fucking kidding me? You're saying the MW2 killcams weren't laggy and were fun to watch?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't know what game you were playing, but it sure as fuck wasn't MW2.

Maybe I had a good connection?

dwin45

Is there slowdown on the 360? I've got it on PS3 and I'm liking it so far other than the slowdown in every single map in multiplayer.

ultron87

It definitely feels like there is way less death constantly raining down from the sky in Black Ops multiplayer. That is a very nice feeling.

DrBo42

ultron87 said:
It definitely feels like there is way less death constantly raining down from the sky in Black Ops multiplayer. That is a very nice feeling.
Hey cool, I can actually focus on what's around me rather than what's above me. *High five*

Smokey

theignoramus said:
The opening to Kowloon is extremely disturbing. and you fucking KNOW that that technique is used in torture chambers.

what is it? i think i beat that stage but i wasnt really paying attention.

bdouble

ultron87 said:
its so so good. Its even better than CoD4 in this respect from what I can tell. I haven't been completely dominated in a match yet but its seems much more to what I want out of kill streaks. I want to die a lot more from other players than the computer.

Red Blaster said:
What you listed is in literally every CoD campaign.
No, not even close. Cute response though.

For all that MW2 did to solve the problem of previous COD games, Black Ops turns back the clock and ditches and and all pretense to being about any true military conflict. Treyarch would be better suited to a Wolfenstein game than a Call of Duty.

Anyone having trouble getting into games after forming a party on xbox? I invite my friend and either he or I always gets kicked before we get into a game. Anyone else see this?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
ultron87 said:

Unless you get into a match where someone is using the unlimited care package glitch. The game spawned me right under the cheater's chopper gunner fire.

hamchan

Halfway through the campaign and it's great so far. No horrible stages like the favella one in MW2 yet so that's a plus. Also the story, while still crazy, doesn't seem completely implausible like MW2.

ultron87 said:
I guess I can see that as a good thing. There were a lot of cheap deaths in MW2's multiplayer, just way too many deaths.

At first I thought the larger maps in Black Ops made it harder to kill or die in the multiplayer, but I guess the way you see it, it's actually a more balanced game.

Skilled players will get their kills, and less-skilled players won't die as much.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jack Scofield said:
Don't you know? It's been cool to hate on MW2 for months now, especially since Treyarch is here to save us from MW2's bullshit. RC cars with C4 strapped to them? Now that is Call of Duty! Dick emblems? Hell yes! Weapons that feel like pellet guns. Fuck yes. Without using hyperbole, MW2 was the shittiest game of all time. Me and other haters can say so with absolute certainty, considering many of us spent hundreds of hours playing it.

What a piece of shit.

:lol +1

So far this feels much jankier than MW2, which I loved for a long time until I stopped loving it.

ultron87

One last random observation before bed: I pretty much yell "Haha! Suck it!" everytime I shoot someone's RCX before it blows up on me. It's ridiculously satisfying.

And SR-71 picked up from a care package in FFA is the greatest thing ever. What's that? You're sneaking around a corner? Or camping? Or running up behind me? Oh, don't worry, I still know exactly where you are.

Trojita said:
Unless you get into a match where someone is using the unlimited care package glitch. The game spawned me right under the cheater's chopper gunner fire.

Yeah, the spawns clearly still need some work.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
matthsv said:
How does split screen online work on PS3? Does the guest player get to choose from the classes of the logged in player? Or does the guest just get to choose from the beginning default classes?
Anyone know?

NullPointer said:
No, not even close. Cute response though.

For all that MW2 did to solve the problem of previous COD games, Black Ops turns back the clock and ditches and and all pretense to being about any true military conflict. Treyarch would be better suited to a Wolfenstein game than a Call of Duty.

Wha problems did MW2 solve outside of monster closets? Every CoD has been criticized for having shooting gallery gameplay, it is what it is at this point. I don't even know what to make of your comment in regards to CoD having any bearing towards true military conflict. Modern Warfare 2 had a plot centered around Russia pulling off a full-scale invasion of the US within 48 hours of a terrorist attack and somehow the General of the United States Army was calling the shots the whole time or something colossally retarded like that, I dunno, I stopped paying attention after the mission where I jumped over a 400ft wide canyon in a snowmobile.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
finished Black Ops Sp, I think it's best single player for Call of Duty Series so far , so good , so fucking good.

dLMN8R

I'm somewhat happy and somewhat disappointed with how the game integrates with Steam.

What's good:
1) The server browser rocks and is obviously Steam/Valve-based tech

2) Invites and friends integration works well in-game

What's not good:
1) Why can't I one-click join through Steam? I thought this was a given with Steamworks games

2) Can't invite friends through steam either and accept through Steam like, say, Left 4 Dead or TF2. Need to go through the invites window in the game menus itself

Hopefully this is addressed, but it would seem like an odd thing they would go change in the future.

Red Blaster said:
What did MW2 really solve outside of monster closets? Every CoD has been criticized for having shooting gallery gameplay, it is what it is at this point. I don't even know what to make of your comment in regards to CoD having any bearing towards true military conflict. Modern Warfare 2 had a plot centered around Russia pulling off a full-scale invasion of the US within 48 hours of a terrorist attack and somehow the General of the United States Army was calling the shots the whole time or something colossally retarded like that, I dunno, I stopped paying attention after the mission where I jumped over a 400ft wide canyon in a snowmobile.
Completely true :lol :lol

But I meant more of the moment to moment of fighting. How it feels when you're battling it out in real time. You use cover, take positional advantage, flank movements. While the overall story was completely over the top (and mostly incoherent), most of the action on the ground kept within the pretext of simulating a special ops/rangers battle, snowmobiles excluded.

For some reason, Treyarch COD games have weaker AI, characters that look like monkeys more than people, extremely linear and directed objectives. Where Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are Tom Clancy wet dreams on crack, Treyarch installments are full on Last Action Hero.

After playing through the campaign I want Treyarch to do a survival horror game. They are great at building atmosphere.

I wasn't a huge fan of the ending
too jingoistic for me, but maybe I missed the irony of it.

I did love the
gas mask section, and the tunnel section.
Very unique stuff.

Nabs

had some fun wager matches tonight. the pc could use a party system like mw2. joining a server with more than 1 other person can be a headache, and sending an invite is a lot tougher than it should be.

DrBo42

Nabs said:
had some fun wager matches tonight. the pc could use a party system like mw2. joining a server with more than 1 other person can be a headache, and sending an invite is a lot tougher than it should be.
I can't wait to go home and play One in the Chamber with friends. It's like the ultimate pissing match.

NullPointer said:
Completely true :lol :lol

But I meant more of the moment to moment of fighting. How it feels when you're battling it out in real time. You use cover, take positional advantage, flank movements. While the overall story was completely over the top (and mostly incoherent), most of the action on the ground kept within the pretext of simulating a special ops/rangers battle, snowmobiles excluded.

For some reason, Treyarch COD games have weaker AI, characters that look like monkeys more than people, extremely linear and directed objectives. Where Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are Tom Clancy wet dreams on crack, Treyarch installments are full on Last Action Hero.

You are trying to make MW2 sound like it was Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. If you think that the "flank movements" in MW2 were more realistic than Blops I don't know what to tell you.

jns

RJNavarrete said:
OK, wtf, my Black Ops won't boot up. Anyone having this issue? [360] It seems to me to be Live issues...
Im having the same problems in aus, I just got back in and My online has been set back to zero. Have the leader boards and all progress just been reset?

NullPointer said:

MW2 is the most dudebro Michael Bay explode-athon game there is.

ijm72

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer so far haven't even touched the campaign yet. So far my favorite weapon is the AK74U with the grip attachment.

RJNavarrete said:
OK, wtf, my Black Ops won't boot up. Anyone having this issue? [360] It seems to me to be Live issues...

YES. I can't find a match for the life of me. Also, is it just me or does this game take forever to boot up?

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
Open up my amazon package, all excited to play.... Disc unreadable. Every time. Checked it on someone else's 360, and checked someone else's disk on mine (which works). Goddammit. At least amazon was really helpful and I should have a replacement by Thursday

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Totobeni said:
finished Black Ops Sp, I think it's best single player for Call of Duty Series so far , so good , so fucking good.

I only have played the SP for a few hours, but I have to agree. The best SP of all CoDs, I might have to double dip for the HD (PC) version.

some quick stuff before I head to bed. Been playing most of the day, level 18 online and several chapters deep into the SP.

First the MP, I can already tell I will like it more than MW2's and I had a couple weeks played time in that. There are a few things that this game didn't quite do as well as MW2 however. The polish is not quite to the same level imo, by that I mean it doesn't look quite as vibrant, the guns don't seem quite as detailed and the sound is a little weak from the few I've heard so far. Basically it looks like MW2 had some touching up/TLC/more developer time that this game didn't have the luxury of getting. That's the end of what MW2 did better and the in the grand scheme of things those are pretty easily overlooked. Now for what it does better, everything else. Yup, everything else is better and if there is something else I haven't found it yet. Maps, currency system, picking up claymores, noob tubes nullified, killstreaks (only one chopper in the air at a time is nice wow, not counting towards others), perks (no feeling gimped that I don't have stopping power anymore), emblems, recoil, etc. Some of these are subject to change however as again, it's still early and I haven't unlocked even 1/3 of the stuff. It just feels like this is about guns and using tactics at least a little. The kill streaks are just the cherry on top of that.

I think there is a segment of cod players who will not like this as much as MW2 however, the ones who like that frenetic pace will probably not find this to be an improvement, probably the opposite.

SP I don't know what to think of that but honestly, not that impressed so far.

BigBlackGamer said:
bot's really is the best thing about black ops. I just had a bunch of friends in a room and we all fought Veteran bots. it was a fucking blast.

The bots on the harder difficulties are no joke. Their aim is impeccable.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
johnFkennedy said:
The bots on the harder difficulties are no joke. Their aim is impeccable.
But their tactics are still very bot like.

Doesn't feel like playing with people at all.

Top Bottom