• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Weenerz

Banned
Got my server up and running, come play. It's on Team Tactical atm, only until the rcon tools stop sucking.

216.155.146.112:3074

DrBo42

Jack Scofield said:
Don't you know? It's been cool to hate on MW2 for months now, especially since Treyarch is here to save us from MW2's bullshit. RC cars with C4 strapped to them? Now that is Call of Duty! Dick emblems? Hell yes! Weapons that feel like pellet guns. Fuck yes. Without using hyperbole, MW2 was the shittiest game of all time. Me and other haters can say so with absolute certainty, considering many of us spent hundreds of hours playing it.

What a piece of shit.

That card can usually be played, but not in MW2's case. It's too much of a commercial success to go that route. Was it a piece of shit? No. It did have balance issues, and it did move too far from a gunplay focus. Many share that opinion, not sure why you're so butt hurt.

I'm in love with this game right now online. Such a turn around from MW2 with its constant barrage of killstreaks, and horrible balancing. I had nothing but a great time for 5 hours today. Even the maps, which still don't quite match up to CoD4, are SO much better than the best MW2 map.

Kusagari

I'm on the 360 and the matchmaking and online for this game is horrid. There's no excuse for this. MW2 was fine at launch and that was the biggest debut in video game history.

Xux

TSAGoodness said:
Is there a stats screen like in MW2? I love seeing how much time I spent in each game mode. Is there something like that in the game or online somewhere?

Yeah, in your Player Card under Combat Record there's a shit ton of info recorded. Stuff like KD for your last 10 games, where you died on each map on your last few games, tallies for weapon kills, killstreaks kills, and how many times each killed you. Etc. etc. There's leaderboards for each gametype as well as weekly, monthly, and all-time categories. You can also see your KD and accuracy for each gun on the Create-a-Class page. It's pretty awesome.

I think it's funny how people camp in HQ when a full cap is, like, 750 EXP and anybody who's on it when it caps gets the bonus 150 EXP.

This game's pretty good, though. Definitely a worthy sequel to COD4.

Current favorite setup (at level 19 or 20):

RPK w/ Drum Mag
M1911 w/ Extended Mag
Frag (haven't bought anything else)
Concussion
(Haven't bought any equipment)
Lightweight
Sleight of Hand
Hacker

I like how Extended Mag is actually rendered in this game.

Anyone else having really poor network connections in this on XBL? I know COD games generally have opening week jitters, and this game has about 3mil players last time I checked. Just trying to see if it's me or my NAT.

Enjoying the MP so far. Noticed quite a bit of lag in a few games, buy overall it's been a great experience.

Oh yeah and Chopper Gunners absolutely wreck. Got 12 kills with one. Good stuff.

mandiller

I love the server browser, I love dedicated servers, I like the maps (good size for 18 people). There's a lot here to like. But...the lag and stuttering is killing me, even in singleplayer. I can't enjoy it when the game is like that.

Any word yet from Treyarch on fixing the PC version? How did they ship a game like this?

Weenerz

Banned
I can't even locate my server to idle in, anyone else only getting a low number of servers showing up in the browser? Last night it was showing all 7000, today its barely 700.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I am in shock at what the Quake 3 engine can still do after more than a decade in use. Granted, it's been heavily modified (if not rewritten in some parts), but man...that's longevity.

Biff

This is the worst entry in the COD series since COD3.

Fuck Treyarch. Another steaming piece of shit. Everyone defending them here: do you not remember the terrible, horrendous launch that was COD: World at War? PS3 users couldn't play the game FOR A WEEK. This is Treyarch just being... Treyarch.

- Map designs are, for the most part, awful.
- Serious lag and connection issues. Game-breaking right now.
- Guns look like shit.
- Grenade explosion SFX annoying ALREADY AFTER ONE DAY. Imagine the 'tink tink POOSH' three months from now. Terrible terrible effect.
- Killstreaks are retarded. Cobras last WAY too long. RC-XD at 3 kills is a joke.. Developers should be doing whatever they can to create a team environment. Offering incentive to not use UAVs does the opposite.
- COD points, while sounding like a good idea, was implemented horribly. You have to buy, literally, everything in the game. EVERYTHING. Unlock Pro version? Great! Pay 2,000 points to buy it! Want to create a clan emblem? Great! 1,000 points per layer! And 100 points per sticker!

Pretty much a lame skin pack for MW2, except somehow with poorer graphics.

I really don't understand how, but Treyarch have failed so miserably that they have created an experience worse than World at War. That says a lot.

Bravo, Treyarch. Bravo.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Chiggs said:
I am in shock at what the Quake 3 engine can still do after more than a decade in use. Granted, it's been heavily modified (if not rewritten in some parts), but man...that's longevity.
it takes raw programming talent to bring i7s to their knees with a decade old engine.

Jack Scofield said:
Don't you know? It's been cool to hate on MW2 for months now, especially since Treyarch is here to save us from MW2's bullshit. RC cars with C4 strapped to them? Now that is Call of Duty! Dick emblems? Hell yes! Weapons that feel like pellet guns. Fuck yes. Without using hyperbole, MW2 was the shittiest game of all time. Me and other haters can say so with absolute certainty, considering many of us spent hundreds of hours playing it.

What a piece of shit.

I was wondering where you went. I see you still dislike this game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
ghst said:
it takes raw programming talent to bring i7s to their knees with a decade old engine.

:lol

360 here, but that's got to suck for everyone with a killer rig. I know all-too-well how it feels to have a powerhouse of a machine brought to its knees by a shitty porting job/piss poor QA. Hope that shit gets patched quick for all the pc gamers.

Phaethon0017 said:
Anyone else having really poor network connections in this on XBL? I know COD games generally have opening week jitters, and this game has about 3mil players last time I checked. Just trying to see if it's me or my NAT.

Few laggy games but the majority of it has been fine.

T'Zariah

Banned
ChefRamsay said:

Fuck Treyarch. Another steaming piece of shit. Everyone defending them here: do you not remember the terrible, horrendous launch that was COD: World at War? PS3 users couldn't play the game FOR A WEEK. This is Treyarch just being... Treyarch.

- Guns look like shit.
- Grenade explosion SFX annoying ALREADY AFTER ONE DAY. Imagine the 'tink tink POOSH' three months from now. Terrible terrible effect.
- Killstreaks are retarded. Cobras last WAY too long. RC-XD at 3 kills is a joke.. Developers should be doing whatever they can to create a team environment. Offering incentive to not use UAVs does the opposite.
- COD points, while sounding like a good idea, was implemented horribly. You have to buy, literally, everything in the game. EVERYTHING. Unlock Pro version? Great! Pay 2,000 points to buy it! Want to create a clan emblem? Great! 1,000 points per layer! And 100 points per sticker!

I really don't understand how, but Treyarch have failed so miserably that they have created an experience worse than World at War. That says a lot.

Bravo, Treyarch. Bravo.
So....you want a list of why that's not as bad as MW2 was?

kai3345

Banned
Smokey said:
Man is anybody else having mad issues getting a game going in Free For All?
No but I've been having to wait 10+ minutes to join up with any Gambling games. But mere seconds for everything else.

GodofWine

ChefRamsay said:
Blah blah blah....
Bravo, Treyarch. Bravo.

Best COD since COD4.

I disagree pretty much with your entire post.

Even the RC Car bombs aren't bad, they sure aren't annoying at least...after MW2 I was done with this franchise, but I heard this one would be more gun play oriented, and it is...it plays slower, and better in terms of game play, and I haven't had a single glitch on line with PS3 version in 3 hours.

Day 1, its a success...this isn't a game to appease 9 yr olds.

PatzCU

Well, first impressions were: "Wow, this game looks like shit", "These guns suck, they are like pellet guns", "The maps are too big", "The guns look terrible". I instantly regretted spending the $60 day 1 based on Kotaku's review and GAF impressions.

After one hour with multiplayer, fuuuuuuuuuck it's good! I can't even really describe why I like it, but it almost feels like Goldeneye to me. The game is a little cartoony, yet still somewhat realistic. The encounters with other players are more dynamic than MW2 as I actually have time to respond to what's going on before I'm killed. I don't feel like I'm playing in a box with some fancy wallpaper as I did in MW2.

People can hate all they want on the lower quality visuals (and it's warranted), but the multiplayer is 100x less frustrating and more skill based. I haven't had a single encounter where I feel like I was shit on by game imbalances. I don't have to constantly sit indoors because there are multiple aircraft overhead. Most importantly, I turned the game off wanting to play more rather than turning the game off in rage after being commando'd for the 5th time in a row.

If you can get over the fact that the game looks like it got hit in the head with a baseball bat, it's a great game.

ChefRamsay said:

- Guns look like shit.

Bravo, Treyarch. Bravo.

Dude really, this game is great. Dont know whats wrong with you. You should just masturbate to the lubricant of your own tears and play some Halo then if its so bad to you.

The only legit complaints I've seen is the lag/spawn issues and the fact the game isn't as polished as IW's offerings. Core gameplay is great though, unlike the hilarious farce that is MW2.

i want to play nuke town >( :lol

why haven't they done 10 vs 10 or at least 9 vs 9, i was walking around the whole map for a minute before finding someone :lol

I've played about 2 hrs online and I'm actually liking it a lot right now. I guess thats about all I have to say at this point. Still learning the maps and getting a feel for the weapons (Enfield works well and I just started using the famas). Too early to know what will be exploited.

SixStringPsycho said:
Dude really, this game is great. Dont know whats wrong with you. You should just masturbate to the lubricant of your own tears and play some Halo then if its so bad to you.
Subjectivity is great, you know.

GodofWine

PatzCU said:
Well, first impressions were: "Wow, this game looks like shit", "These guns suck, they are like pellet guns", "The maps are too big", "The guns look terrible". I instantly regretted spending the $60 day 1 based on Kotaku's review and GAF impressions.

After one hour with multiplayer, fuuuuuuuuuck it's good! I can't even really describe why I like it, but it almost feels like Goldeneye to me. The game is a little cartoony, yet still somewhat realistic. The encounters with other players are more dynamic than MW2 as I actually have time to respond to what's going on before I'm killed. I don't feel like I'm playing in a box with some fancy wallpaper as I did in MW2.

People can hate all they want on the lower quality visuals (and it's warranted), but the multiplayer is 100x less frustrating and more skill based. I haven't had a single encounter where I feel like I was shit on by game imbalances. I don't have to constantly sit indoors because there are multiple aircraft overhead. Most importantly, I turned the game off wanting to play more rather than turning the game off in rage after being commando'd for the 5th time in a row.

If you can get over the fact that the game looks like it got hit in the head with a baseball bat, it's a great game.

As wrong as chef Ramsey was, you are that correct....In my OPINION of course

ChefRamsay said:

- Guns look like shit.

Bravo, Treyarch. Bravo.

This whole post is a joke.

Anyone on the fence about Black Ops after MW2, do yourself a favor and rent it, trade in some games, find it cheap, w/e. It's 10000% less frustrating, random, broken, and unbalanced.

PS: Getting rid of Stopping Power is a MASSIVELY underrated move. The one v one battles are much more open to experimentation, and the Pistols are much better because of it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Unless I'm completely blind, the game's visuals look as good if not better than MW2. Framerate was definitely more consistent in MW2.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Black Ops is leagues beyond the steaming piece of shit that MW2 is. And I've been hating on that game since it came out. Now that's how you make a bad game. Black Ops is definitely the best COD since Modern Warfare. Campaign is solid, and MP is solid with varied maps and taking out most of the bullshit that made MW2 such an awful experience.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
How does split screen online work on PS3? Does the guest player get to choose from the classes of the logged in player? Or does the guest just get to choose from the beginning default classes?

Biff

Net_Wrecker said:
This whole post is a joke.

Anyone on the fence about Black Ops after MW2, do yourself a favor and rent it, trade in some games, find it cheap, w/e. It's 10000% less frustrating, random, broken, and unbalanced.

PS: Getting rid of Stopping Power is a MASSIVELY underrated move. The one v one battles are much more open to experimentation, and the Pistols are much better because of it.
Just curious (and same goes for everyone else who disagrees with my post):

- You like the map design? Percentage-wise, how many do you like?
- You aren't experiencing connection issues?
- You think the gun textures are acceptable? In 2010? Based on an engine that's been around (and optimized) for 3 years?
- 'tink tink POOSH' doesn't annoy the fuck out of you?
- RC-XD was a good choice?
- You should have to buy Pro versions of perks that you work to unlock?

I'm genuinely interested now. Instead of slamming my post in its entirety, tell me why I'm wrong? This is a forum, after all.

kai3345

Banned
Got this for 25 bucks, don't know if it would be worth it for the full 60, but for what I paid, I think it was definitely worth it.

ChefRamsay said:
Just curious (and same goes for everyone else who disagrees with my post):

- You like the map design? Percentage-wise, how many do you like?
Haven't played them all, but so far the only map I really don't like is the jungle one.
ChefRamsay said:
- You aren't experiencing connection issues?
Nope
ChefRamsay said:
- You think the gun textures are acceptable? In 2010? Based on an engine that's been around (and optimized) for 3 years?
Yeah, cause im not a graphics whore
ChefRamsay said:
- 'tink tink POOSH' doesn't annoy the fuck out of you?
Nope
ChefRamsay said:
- You should have to buy Pro versions of perks that you work to unlock>
I don't see anything wrong with it.

fallagin

I cant wait until I get this game in my house in like 10 days. Darn you Super saver shipping!! So enticing with your savings talk.

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheStringTheory said:
Graphics are a definite downgrade.

The lighting seems far more impressive overall. Some of the guns don't look as good and the framerate dips more often than MW2, but everything else seems equal to or greater than.

Kujo

friskykillface said:
why haven't they done 10 vs 10 or at least 9 vs 9, i was walking around the whole map for a minute before finding someone :lol
What's the largest player count for a match?

Top Bottom