• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Shnookums

Finally played some multiplayer on PC tonight. I didn't like it as much as I was expecting to based on the comments I've read. I will reserve final judgement until I've had a chance to session it with my usual shooter friends though.

Thankfully I didn't have the "unplayable" performance issues people have reported. It was quite playable for me, however it is not as smooth as MW2 on my system and I wish it was.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
black ops is the best cod looks better than mw2.. and doesnt have the annoying glitchers and hackers

jesus christ mw2 was ruined by the community. lets hope treyarch bans the filth that cheats.

game just seems way more fair IMO

NYR

Anyone here using a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system with this game?

Are the gun noises coming out of your rear speakers or front?

Mine is spitting the sound of my gunfire solely out of the rear speakers - terribly annoying.

DoomGyver

AmericanNinja said:
How do you unlock pro versions of perks?
You have to complete the challenges, you can see them by selecting the perk and pressing square. Once you've completed the challenges you have to fork up 2000-3000 CP to unlock the "pro" version.

NYR

Tiduz said:
black ops is the best cod looks better than mw2.. and doesnt have the annoying glitchers and hackers

jesus christ mw2 was ruined by the community. lets hope treyarch bans the filth that cheats.

game just seems way more fair IMO
Modern warfare 2 didn't have hackers or glitches day 1 either. Give it time, there will be something that happens. True test is how quick Treyarch reacts.

ChefRamsay said:
Just curious (and same goes for everyone else who disagrees with my post):

- You like the map design? Percentage-wise, how many do you like?
- You aren't experiencing connection issues?
- You think the gun textures are acceptable? In 2010? Based on an engine that's been around (and optimized) for 3 years?
- 'tink tink POOSH' doesn't annoy the fuck out of you?
- RC-XD was a good choice?
- You should have to buy Pro versions of perks that you work to unlock?

I'm genuinely interested now. Instead of slamming my post in its entirety, tell me why I'm wrong? This is a forum, after all.

- I haven't locked down my opinion the maps completely so far, but they've all been WAAAY more fun than any map in MW2. I've had a damn good time on Cracked, Villa, Radiation, Launch, Jungle, and the nighttime map. Nuketown is crap, but it's the only one I find absolutely bad while MW2 had about 5 of those IMO.

- Connection issues, yeah, but it's day one so I'll cut them slack. Tons of game have been broken on day one. Hell, a lot during WEEK one. Battlefield BC2 was dead on arrival for like 2 days.

- Gun textures? Meh, I don't care about graphics so much as I just wanted a balanced CoD game to play.

- Grenades are w/e. Not spectacualr, but certainly nothing to complain about.

- RCXD at 3 kills is pretty bad, but I've only been killed with like 2 in 5 hours of multiplayer. Been hearing a LOT more Spy Planes, plus people controlling them don't like to go into buildings for kills so it's easy to hide.

- Buying Pro versions is kind of ridiculous, but w/e, it's not game ruining.

This game right now in its base, current state is more balanced than MW2 could ever have dreamed of being, and that's all I care about.

BloodySinner said:
Doubt it. It's a lot more honest than most of the posts that are just glorying the game.

Why? A lot of people, including myself, genuinely feel that this is a huge step up from MW2 in terms of gameplay balance.

I guess the way I see it when comparing MW2 to black ops is Infinity Ward made a lot of poor design choices but executed there vision very well. Treyarch made a lot of good choices but didn't do as good of a job in the execution. It's too early to know how it will end up but at this point I'm finding Black Ops less frustrating even with the day one connection issues.

Hyunkel6

I have been playing the MP for 2 hours, and did not experience significant connection problems. Matchmaking usually takes mere seconds with the occasional host migration. I have been dropped from a game only once IIRC.

Gameplay is very focused on gunplay and accuracy this time around, not on killstreaks. I often wish the guns would pack more punch though. I would sometimes unload 2-3 bullets on someone's back only to have him spun around and shoot me.

CPs a nice addiction, but I don't like that I have to pay for everything. Paying to unlock 1 layer of customization only to find out that I have to pay more for each items in the layer is lame.

Overall, really liking the game so far. Then again, exploits and glitches are sure to surface. I hope Treyarch keep their promise to support the game.

NYR said:
Anyone here using a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system with this game?

Are the gun noises coming out of your rear speakers or front?

Mine is spitting the sound of my gunfire solely out of the rear speakers - terribly annoying.

Got a 5.1 and the sounds are coming from where they should.

anyone else with the hardened edition have a hard time getting the game out of the case? it's been such a pain for me that i'll probably never put it back in the steelbook again.

johnFkennedy said:
Wasn't release day shipping 99 cents?

What? If I'd seen that option, I would've taken it. It was the regular like 7 bucks shipping or the free shipping, so I chose the free shipping.

And then I tried to cancel it this morning cause Wal-Mart had a shit-ton of copies, but it was too late. So I guess I'll just wait for it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
WickedLaharl said:
anyone else with the hardened edition have a hard time getting the game out of the case? it's been such a pain for me that i'll probably never put it back in the steelbook again.

i had this with most ce of games with steelbooks, just press the center hard and it should work out, i hate it too tho.

WickedLaharl said:
Yea, I was afraid to break it the first time I got it out. The good thing is that it won't be coming out of the tray very often :D

Just played a few hours of campaign. Disappointmenton. Really Treyarch? Really?

Hopefully the multiplayer is fucking extraordinary, because the solo campaign doesn't deserve the COD monicker. Shitty, linear, corridor fights against braindead yet singly focused and accurate enemy AI, while following useless teammates who will simply let the enemy walk right past them and gut you. Literally. The enemy will simply walk right past them.

Levels are either long hallways, or are lacking in any cover, but then again, whats the point? Treyarch designed this game as a pure fire-from-the-hip run-and-gun shooter. Anything to get you to your next turret scene, or motorcycle race, or whatever is required to lead you to the next explosion. Then there is all the insta-kills unless you do EXACTLY what the game wants you to, without deviation, and almost always against common sense. You'll die and get a little message telling you exactly what you were supposed to do. Great. Lovely.

There is not a single shred or semblance of reality to this, not even the slightest lip service.

If this is sign of the future of the franchise I'm out. How I miss you Infinity Ward. God damn.

On the bright side it only cost me $20. Silver linings and all.

Xux

Happy Phantom said:
apparently my friend is level 40 already. is that ridiculous?

It sure is. Anyone higher than level 19 is playing way too much and needs to take more breaks.

Full Recovery said:
You have to complete the challenges, you can see them by selecting the perk and pressing square. Once you've completed the challenges you have to fork up 2000-3000 CP to unlock the "pro" version.
Oh ok, thanks! I looked around but couldn't find the section for it in the menus.

bdouble

bought and jumped right into multiplayer tonight. I'm liking it a lot so far. I played matches that I've won, close and far behind. Right now I feel like its better balanced than MW2 and feels much more like MW. No all about the perks but will reserve some judgment here until people start leveling up. Even the games where it seemed the other team was calling in a bunch of kill streaks I didn't feel like I was dyeing cheaply.

Animal

Banned
I just finished SP in normal mode. This is the first CoD game to have ever kept my interest.

How does this SP compare to other CoD games? I'm asking because I'm quite blown away to be honest. The last hour or so was incredible!

Now on to online for the first time ever. I'm so going to get destroyed :lol

ezekial45

Banned
Animal said:
I just finished SP in normal mode. This is the first CoD game has ever been able to keep my interest.

How does this SP compare to other CoD games? I'm asking because I'm quite blown away to be honest. The last hour or so was incredible!

Now on to online for the first time ever. I'm so going to get destroyed :lol

COD4's single player was really great. So was WaW.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:

Hopefully the multiplayer is fucking extraordinary, because the solo campaign doesn't deserve the COD monicker. Shitty, linear, corridor fights against braindead yet singly focused and accurate enemy AI, while following useless teammates who will simply let the enemy walk right past them and gut you. Literally. The enemy will simply walk right past them.

Levels are either long hallways, or are lacking in any cover, but then again, whats the point? Treyarch designed this game as a pure fire-from-the-hip run-and-gun shooter. Anything to get you to your next turret scene, or motorcycle race, or whatever is required to lead you to the next explosion. Then there is all the insta-kills unless you do EXACTLY what the game wants you to, without deviation, and almost always against common sense. You'll die and get a little message telling you exactly what you were supposed to do. Great. Lovely.

There is not a single shred or semblance of reality to this, not even the slightest lip service.

If this is sign of the future of the franchise I'm out. How I miss you Infinity Ward. God damn.

On the bright side it only cost me $20. Silver linings and all.

Eh, I still think it was heaps better than MW2, and the
cameos from W@W
are awesome. There were some super frustrating and dumb parts in the campaign though.

As for multiplayer, so far it's awesome, and theater is exactly what reach should have done, the ability to edit your film before saving it.

ultron87

natedog4000 said:
anyone play sticks and stones yet? My friend and I are having a blast in this mode. it's a fun, crazy game...

I'm a big fan of the One In The Chamber so far. It's just so ridiculously tense at all times.

In the Zombies mode is there an actual goal to the levels? Cause we got the power on or whatever in the first level and then just kind of ran aimlessly around till we got killed. I'm assuming we were supposed to be actually accomplishing something.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well Black Ops is a huge let down for me. The maps seem terribly crafted. It seems like they just decided to put as much stuff as possible on the maps with no real direction when it comes to the layout. You end up playing the same map over and over. Terribly thought out spawn points. The menu's are overtly convoluted. The hit boxes are really off. I don't ask for exact realism, but some of the guns just act so uncharacteristically. LAG LAG LAG. Kill Cams are laggy and not really fun to watch like in MW2. Why are the Kill Cam's present in all objective based games? This game just does not seem polished. There are just so many terrible things that I can pick out in this game. Calling this a finished project is kind of a joke. At least I won't feel obligated to buy anymore COD games from Activision.

I liked the live action commercial though.

ZZMitch

Campaign is totally awesome, I am not done yet, but for some reason I have a feeling that there will be
zombies
in it. I don't know why...

jlevel13

ultron87 said:
So. . . Nuketown. Worst Call of Duty map, or worst release multiplayer map ever?

I like it! I think those small maps (at the right moments) can be a lot of fun. The art style also makes a nice change of pace from the typical map.

NullPointer said:

What you listed is in literally every CoD campaign.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't lie... after playing a bit, I kinda miss the gameplay of Medal of Honor's MP :\ Better sounds and better gameplay when it came to shootin' folks. I'll give COD some more time, and i know i'm in the minority...

Wow I love this game. Its beem really alot of fun.

Olympia /Lightweight/Hardened/ Marthon seemed a little cheap the Olympia is a pretty good shotgun.

Edit - It took me to like Level 10 until I realized I do like it better than MW2. The game felt balanced on Day 1...we will see.

Played a couple hours mp, and despite the definitely not smooth framerate, the multi is pretty fun. Just the overall feel of the guns, they take more bullets to kill but the game play is more my style I think. It takes longer to kill or die, but it seems like it is just enough that you have time to make choices in a firefight rather than just try to get your last shot on target as fast as possible.

I can't tell if the framerate is a streaming thing or a just can't quite render all this stuff thing, but it pops up the worst on any long corridor like in jungle or havana. Choppy is what someone said while we were playing.

I don't think it's enough for me to not play, but it is a bit disappointing. It isn't the complete and total win I was sort of hoping for, and on a pretty critical facet of what looks like a really great game.

I capped a clip of the jungle map with bots, it really is only noticeable as a "not smooth" but I don't think it is enough to really bother the majority of people. It bothers me, but I have buddies on the PS3 so I prefer that over jumping ship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ2tJURadKo&hd=1

En-ou

so far i dont think this game is as good as mw2. the graphics are actually worse, whats with all the jaggies??? lots of slowdown in mp compared to mw2. the campaign presentation hardly rivals mw2 thus far. i have ps3 btw. the music rocks though.

RS4-

So, PC version is kind of fucked up? I hate the idea of buying live just for this.

And because Canada has awful (no) deals regarding Live as well.

BSsBrolly

Banned
People really think this game looks better then MW2? It looks...cartoony in comparison. I don't like the sound of the guns. The voice acting is worse and overall I feel like MW2 (even with all it's problems) is better. From the maps to the kill streaks, MW2 is better.

En-ou

Trojita said:
It seems like they just decided to put as much stuff as possible on the maps with no real direction when it comes to the layout.
true and i think if they had cleaned up the maps a bit, there would be better frame rate. heh, here i thought treyarch would prob be able to rival IW. oh well.

Apart from the PC issues, this is the best CoD multiplayer I've played so far. It has all the nice additions that MW2 added, but is far less irritating. I actually want to play more instead of throwing the disc out the window.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well it is running ok for the most part on my 2Ghz C2D, GT130M, 720p, normal textures. I get the odd stutter every minute or so, but it has definitely been playable. SP campaign so far is pretty good, just finished the Vietnam part. Had a quick game of MP but I really suck so it will probably mainly be bot games unless I can improve.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Just picked up the game but don't want to play it because I don't want to get myself into anything right now. What should I do?

jlevel13

RS4- said:
So, PC version is kind of fucked up? I hate the idea of buying live just for this.

And because Canada has awful (no) deals regarding Live as well.

Depends on your rig - some people are having no problems, but there's issues for lots of people (mostly micro-stuttering?). It's probably something that will be able to be addressed in a patch before too long.

Top Bottom