• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

d0c_zaius

NullPointer said:
Completely true :lol :lol
Where Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are Tom Clancy wet dreams on crack, Treyarch installments are full on Last Action Hero.

I think you have it wrong.

MW2 was if spike TV took a tom clancy book and made it into a tv movie.

WaW had Jack bauer yelling crazy shit and one of the most satisfying slo-mo end sequences in all the CODS.....imo of course :D .

d0c_zaius said:
I think you have it wrong.

MW2 was if spike TV took a tom clancy book and made it into a tv movie.

WaW had Jack bauer yelling crazy shit and one of the most satisfying slo-mo end sequences in all the CODS.....imo of course :D .
Lets just disagree to disagree. I think you guys are all bizarro world.

The M.O.B

The game is messing up pretty bad for me in the SP campaign.

It keeps getting stuck at the part below in the screen.

Spoiler
http://imgur.com/JDMPL.jpg

The weird thing is, the screens flicker with the static, the ambiance sounds still go on, and the buttons below the tv turn on and off, but the dude wont move.....

PC versuin

Erasus

More details on what causes the stuttering on PC.

http://www.heavyweaponsguy.com/images/realtimeBlOPS.jpg
http://www.heavyweaponsguy.com/images/realtimeMW2.jpg

The first picture shows Black Ops hitting 100% or near 100% CPU usage at all times, however despite getting a solid 60 FPS, the stuttering persists. Making the game completely unplayable to my standards. I regularly play at 1920x1200, but I downscaled the resolution to show the CPU usage and other data.

The second picture shows MW2 running in a similarly hectic area, only using 52% of the CPU, the kicker? The system idle process is using more of the CPU than the iw4sp.exe is.

The conclusion? This is not a GPU related bug - this is in the origin of the CPU, and terrible optimizations on behalf of Treyarch. The game was purchased for me, so that I could review it - and believe you me... this knocks the score off what it could be.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574176

Absinthe

OK, first off.. This game is much better than MW2 in multiplayer!!

My only complaint is what's wrong with Ninja Pro?
Where are my footsteps??
Why can I not hear anyone who sneaks up behind me, even when I'm using Ninja Pro?

Anyone else notice this?

Gary Whitta said:
I played the SP campaign right through and have played an hour or two of MP and haven't noticed any performance issues on PC yet.

What do you think of the sp then, im three levels in and im loving the story and setting. Love this period of world history.

Rikyfree

Gary Whitta said:
I played the SP campaign right through and have played an hour or two of MP and haven't noticed any performance issues on PC yet.
Shut up and write Book of Eli 2: Eli Harder, you lucky bastard. :lol

DRE Fei

akmcbroom said:

Where are my footsteps??
Why can I not hear anyone who sneaks up behind me, even when I'm using Ninja Pro?

Anyone else notice this?
That's because ninja pro doesn't make enemy footsteps louder. It makes their voices louder and makes your guy completely mute. It's not sitrep pro.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
akmcbroom said:

Where are my footsteps??

Anyone else notice this?

I don't have ninja pro yet but I sure as shit can't hear anyone running around me. I need to plant some bombs so I can see if ninja pro helps at all.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
My emblem!

fKKDa.png

Yeah.. Don't ask. I have no idea, myself :lol

The M.O.B

I'm new to this zombie mode, never played WAW.

HOW the heck do you kill the fire dogs??? They just keep coming, and are almost impossible to hit with anything. o_O

I cant get past level 6 :(

Played a few hours of multiplayer tonight. I don't like the cod points thing. Mostly because it seems like unlocking things are even slower than before. The wager matches are lame. Any recommendations for scoring cod points, besides not sucking?

So what's up with assault rifles? I think it's just me, but does the M16 suck now? I think it's just because I've only had a few hours to play due to work. I already love the game more than MW2, but something seems off. Like it just takes that many more bullets to kill someone.

DrBo42

The M.O.B said:
I'm new to this zombie mode, never played WAW.

HOW the heck do you kill the fire dogs??? They just keep coming, and are almost impossible to hit with anything. o_O

I cant get past level 6 :(

M14 and headshots. Or the M16 and headshots.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love the CoD points, I can finally pick the stealthy perks that suit my playstyle instead of grinding out the first ~25 levels again.

DarkStar

DrBo42 said:
Leveling in Combat Training is completely separate from the normal MP right? Seems like that's a great way to try out and buy weapons/perks without wasting your legit points.

Sweet! I was wondering what the purpose was =)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Xux said:
It sure is. Anyone higher than level 19 is playing way too much and needs to take more breaks.

pssf, I'm level 20 & just barely hit the 5 hour mark.
Learn to use various weapons for faster leveling bonuses.

Ashes

Banned
Damn. Didn't realize there was no campaign co-op. This is one of the very few games, my sister plays. She's not gonna play it on her own, and has left it for now. Shame really. Played the game wth my brother, decent fps player, passing the controller after every mission. Campaign was seven and half hours iirc. Wittle that down to about 4, 5, 6 hours, if it was me playing by myself, or the average fps gaffer.

Ps3 version had the usual frame rate lapses, but if you didn't notice it in Mw, you won't notice it here. It bothered me a tiny fraction, and my brother not all I think. I think people have mentioned the brightness, but this only effected me when I went back to my room to finish the game on my LCD. Was playing on the living room plasma before. I suddenly found that there was a patch to download (playing ps3 btw) and install. Turned down the brightness and everything was lush again.

It looks great in some places, and meh in others. The campaign is short, but it's got some intense COD hallmark scenes. I played it on hardened, cause my brother wanted to play as well. It wasn't fluid and felt buggy, with the infinite loop ai troops. When you have infinite loop of ai, you have make it so that the player knows absolutely what to do, watching my brother get frustrated at silly points, with vague hints, causing him to get experimental was not fun.

Auto aim lock, where pressing L1, locks on to the nearest ai, was noticebly more flawed in this game. Locking on to the centre of the ai, behind cover, when his head is clearly availible. So you're shooting at nothing basically. I would suggest turning off autoaim, it helped me a bit, but it made the game worse for my brother. So just keep it on, if that's what you're use to.

The usual shitty one hit deaths from nowhere were infuriating to say the least. The worst part of the AI, was that your team mates take the best sniping positions and don't move out the way. In fact they lie there, not doing much sometimes, and then doing everything in others.

Sometimes it's just better to just sit back and let them do their own thing, (not good), and other times, because the game relies on you to pass checkpoint after checkpoint, normal I know, so you end up having to risk instant deaths, in some long horrible corridor. I guess the balance is off on hardened difficulty. Veteren is worse, of the little I've played so far, but at least that was expected on my part. Never forget the fairground from IW. Whilst nothing matches that level of stupidity, this is comes close enough to be annoying.

If rico in Kz2 annoyed you, the, whoever the side characters were, might just make you want to throw a brick at the wall.

The niggles of the main campaign make what couldn't have been a great game, just something really good. Get rid of the damn bottlenecks in the game!

Just jotted down some quick thoughts...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I told myself I wasn't going to, but I ended up picking up Black Ops today after all. CoD is my least favorite of the "big 3" shooter strains (for me it is Gears --> Halo --> CoD) but I can still have a good time with it, so I'm sure I have nothing to add to this topic that others haven't addressed.

To me, it feels very similar to MW1 and MW2, just without the worst of the Killstreak bullshit.

+ One "little thing" that is hugely appreciated is that I can view my stats broken out on a gun by gun basis. Now I can use each gun for ~100 kills and objectively see which suits me best, instead of trying to go by memory.

+ I also like the organization of the post-game screen, with its emphasis on setting personal bests.

+ The shift towards a central credits system for unlocking shit instead of unlocking via 1 billion challenges is smart. A welcome change. Stupid that gun add-ons aren't global and must be purchased separately for each weapon, though.

+/- The single player premise and high-level storyline is by far the most intriguing and groundbreaking in the franchise. The SP gameplay itself is quite a bit less polished than MW1 and MW2, though. It feels even more scripted (I didn't know that was possible), and is much rougher graphically (vehicle explosions look terrible).

- Major bummer that there is no "overall" leaderboard (sorted by rank/XP). I used to spend a lot of time looking at the comparative ranks of me and my friends. After a night of hard playing, check to see if I jump my friends on the EXP chart, etc.

dwin45

GDJustin said:
- Major bummer that there is no "overall" leaderboard (sorted by rank/XP). I used to spend a lot of time looking at the comparative ranks of me and my friends. After a night of hard playing, check to see if I jump my friends on the EXP chart, etc.
Yeah, I"m not sure why they got rid of this.

Question to anyone that knows:

When going for the "Pro" Perks, do you have to have that perk equipped in order to work towards the challenge? For example, when I knock down enemy aircraft, am I working towards the Ghost Pro perk even if I don't have Ghost currently equipped?

manzo

AlStrong of Beyond3D on this image comparison:

Welp, based on that shot, the PS3 edge indicates 540 vertical. The 360 is at a higher resolution than that (different, but not too far from 1024x600).

I'm still looking for longer stretches before I give anything more exact than that, but that's the gist of it.

Also the PS3 version suffers from small texture hits (smaller objects like magazines, bottles etc), toned-down bloom and lower-res alphas like explosions.

IW did a waaaaaaayyyy better job with the PS3 than Treyarch did. Shame since CoD MW's were nearly (if not perfectly) identical with the 360 counterparts. :( On the other hand, the comparisons are pretty fucking awesome, the PC version runs circles around both console versions combined! :lol

dwin45

manzo said:
AlStrong of Beyond3D on this image comparison:

Welp, based on that shot, the PS3 edge indicates 540 vertical. The 360 is at a higher resolution than that (different, but not too far from 1024x600).

I'm still looking for longer stretches before I give anything more exact than that, but that's the gist of it.

Also the PS3 version suffers from small texture hits (smaller objects like magazines, bottles etc), toned-down bloom and lower-res alphas like explosions.

IW did a waaaaaaayyyy better job with the PS3 than Treyarch did. Shame since CoD MW's were nearly (if not perfectly) identical with the 360 counterparts. :( On the other hand, the comparisons are pretty fucking awesome, the PC version runs circles around both console versions combined! :lol
Not to mention, the PS3 version (at least in multiplayer) suffers from poor framerate on pretty much every single map.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DrBo42 said:
You made that? Or was that prefab?

I made it!

You can buy emblem icons (such as the scorpion or the hand, or circles etc) and then combine them in layers n shit.

UFRA

Beat the campaign on Regular in roughly 6-7 hours. Then I put in about 3 hours of multiplayer tonight.

Overall I really like the game, but I feel so "underequipped" right now so to speak. I just feel like I have so much to unlock yet and I'm overwhelemed on what to buy next...I almost just liked having stuff unlock for me better so I don't have to feel like every purchase is a good or bad decision.

Also, I'm on PS3 version and the game has been working great. Not sure why people are whining so much about frame rates.

Also good to see the PS3 has the feature to select a preferred matchmaking region. (I remember BS being posted here saying that wasn't in the PS3 version).

Although I do agree the graphics in this game are a step down from MW2.

GDJustin said:
you mean compare wins, losses, kill ratio with friends? or just rank/xp? cause you can still compare the other stuff for each game mode. But i guess that's not what you mean.

UFRA said:
Also, I'm on PS3 version and the game has been working great. Not sure why people are whining so much about frame rates.
online the framerate or lag in some maps is pretty aparent. Just online though

Top Bottom