• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

We're hearing a lot about online retailers failing to fulfil orders, but how did the B&M stores do? Was/is it sold out everywhere or what?

I want to walk into Gamestation tomorrow and pick up a copy without getting 'we're sold out mate'..

Belfast

I experienced a lot less lag on the PC version playing tonight, but that might just be because it's, well, the middle of the night. About as well as MW2, with the rare, split-second hitch. My play performance went way up once I unlocked the M60 + Grip, too.

<3 LMGs

Kyoufu

coolcole93 said:
Do you mean failed you yesterday or failed you today as well? I ordered with Tesco Entertainment too..if it doesn't come today I'm just gonna buy another copy and sell the spare in three weeks when it actually comes :p

I mean yesterday. People seem to be getting theirs today so I'm just waiting for the postie. If it doesn't come today I'll just buy through steam and send the tesco one back for a refund.

Don't see the game being sold out anywhere though. At least not in the London area.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I have a hard time believing that there are 4 million people online in playlists currently..

Kyoufu said:
I mean yesterday. People seem to be getting theirs today so I'm just waiting for the postie. If it doesn't come today I'll just buy through steam and send the tesco one back for a refund.

Don't see the game being sold out anywhere though. At least not in the London area.

Aah phew, you scared me. I have a day off today and if it doesn't come then I'm pretty sure God exists and he hates me.

I rang up their phoneline yesterday to make sure it would come today - apparently I wasn't the only one as their automated system had a specific section for Black Ops :lol I pressed one to take me there and apparently all copies bought before 2pm on the 8th November have now been shipped, so it seems it's Royal Mail's and not Tesco's fault.

Dina

So, is there any light at the end of the pc-performance issues? It's preventing me from enjoying an otherwise good game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dina said:
So, is there any light at the end of the pc-performance issues? It's preventing me from enjoying an otherwise good game.

I can't even touch MP, can't aim can't do shit... I really need this go get fixed asap :(

Erasus

Dina said:

Not even an official comment on the site about the lag and stuttering on pc, just Activision reps saying that they are "looking into it".

Quote:
@quidxrazer unfortunately we can't comment on content that hasn't released. We definitely looking in to it though.

http://twitter.com/#!/ATVI_Mikey

Quote:
@bmxiao We're absolutely looking into it right now, so that you know. We've been collecting info, dxdiags and stuff all day.

http://twitter.com/#!/ATVI_Amber

Is all I can find. Nothing official yet.

And they have my money so I guess they can just leave it if they want. But it is broken.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbL4PwTDsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZ7aX_AyBU

Anyway, PC impressions....

The stuttering was really noticeable in the first mission, everytime i pushed up a bit it kicked in, after that mission though, its become completely playable, for me it seems the game chugs when when i think its loading in a new area or something, only at certain points, completely smooth otherwise (X4 640, 1GB GTX 460, 4GB DDR2).

Game controls perfectly, its nice having lean back ;) Main menu was wierd as hell though. The story keeps making me laugh with every mission... every moment is a manly orgasm :lol I love this shit :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sanjay said:
Is there any servers with 32 players is what I want to know. 18, seems to be what most people are playing on.

This is an excellent question, and it allows me to ask you guys this....

what are the chances the modding community will break out with their own custom servers that allow more than the current limit? Do you see this happening? Or do you feel we will be limited to 9v9/12v12?

DrBo42

Erasus said:
Not even an official comment on the site about the lag and stuttering on pc, just Activision reps saying that they are "looking into it".

Quote:
@quidxrazer unfortunately we can't comment on content that hasn't released. We definitely looking in to it though.

http://twitter.com/#!/ATVI_Mikey

Quote:
@bmxiao We're absolutely looking into it right now, so that you know. We've been collecting info, dxdiags and stuff all day.

http://twitter.com/#!/ATVI_Amber

Is all I can find. Nothing official yet.

And they have my money so I guess they can just leave it if they want. But it is broken.

Haha ATVI_Mikey is a buddy of mine. They're customer service dude, they get the info we get. Devs are trying to find a solution, you can be sure of that. No one likes bad press, regardless if they have your money already or not.

user_nat said:
I have a hard time believing that there are 4 million people online in playlists currently..
Their servers must be overloaded. I got my copy saturday, and I've watched the progression in online playlists (360 version):
1000 Saturday
10000 Sunday
100000 Monday
1,8 million yesterday

and now 4 million? Amazing :D

Erasus

Hello-

I've generally been the sort that says if I don't have any information it's best to not say anything, but that can get translated incorrectly as being disinterested.

When people are upset, they want answers. When someone from Treyarch replies, but doesn't have answers I have found it just makes them more upset.

This is the truth. As I have said, I'm not totally sure what is going on yet. I am not in the office. I am travelling for work. I can only gleam bits and pieces from various email aliases I am on (and I am not on every alias as it's too much email especially for mobile device when traveling).

I know that Customer Support has been collecting information and trying to sort out the legit reports from the many people who don't meet the system requirements by collecting dxdiags and the like.

I know that the PC server browser was crushing the back-end. At first, queries were restricted and some caching was added to offset the high-load. This should be much better now, if not fixed outright.

I've asked for more information but don't have it yet. Probably because they are all super busy trying to work everything out.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to step on a plane this afternoon and will be out of service for no less than 15 hours. No doubt JD_2020 or the board admins will keep you informed as well as they can and are instructed.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

lol I dunno whats going on with this PC lag and shit but I am off to travel nao no ETA on patch or what the problem is kthxbai

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=312410&sid=nge3k7vi3oqu2kgvlrp550f954

No, its not a server problem, it happens in SP and Combat training too.

Dilly

Banned
Right, I bought the game because I found a store that would sell it at normal PC game price instead of Activision's price. I heard good things about the SP, so I'm curious.

Just finished the game on "Hardened" - wow. GOTY for me. Never enjoyed the single player campaign of a Call of Duty THAT much. Way better than any CoD before imho.

Kyoufu said:

Where I live its sold out all over CEX,Blockbusters,Game,Tesco, Sainsburys its pretty nuts! Glad I lined up like a goon at 12 oclock:lol

JB1981

Got up early .. sitting in my bed reading the GAF impressions of this game and felt compelled to post. This game is not as good as MW2. Not even close, in my opinion.

First of all, purely from a technical standpoint (on PS3 at least) it pales in comparison. I played for about 3 hours last night w/ Denog and the_prime_mover... I had a good time (rented the game) but the game definitely feels like b-team material to me. Framerate is sub-par for a series that is known for 60fps. I thought this was due to lag, but I didn't play a single game last night that didn't suffer from noticeable dips in framerate. Don't get me started on the graphics. Maybe I am just becoming one of those graphics elitists (don't think so because MW2 is hardly top-tier material and it looks good to me) but the graphics on PS3 are poor. The textures are poor. The resolution is standard definition material, imo. The alpha effects, particles .. everything ... lack definition .. lack sharpness .. lack any visual impact. The game looks like mud. Treyarch even forces the game into 1080p ... perhaps to mask the low resolution? A lot of the maps feel like they blend together. The color models are all basically the same, and the design is clearly a step back from MW2 and COD 4. There is nothing memorable about any of the maps, they are all fairly generic. The only map that remotely stood out as the one with the rocket taking off .... pretty neat.

The game, for me, is lacking that "it" factor that make the IW COD's so special. Treyarch simply doesn't have what IW has. I appreciate that this game feels more 'balanced', but in their attempt to make the series slower and balanced, I feel that it lost some of its appeal. Even with annoying as the OMAers and noob tubes and commando pros are in MW2, the game was AAA material. You felt it in the map design, in the way the guns played ... the way maps flowed .... it's 6:21 am ... I probably don't sound very coherent, but I'm saddened that IW is done with this franchise. Treyarch just doesn't and probably will never have the special something that made the IW games so special. I will play the game and enjoy it for what it is, but I'm very surprised by the amount of praise the game is getting. Maybe it's my platform of choice .....

.nimrod

I finally got my PS3 version and just played combat training on Array. This is definately no 60fps game, i even doubt that it's above 30 most of the time.
Also, is it just me or does the aiming feel a lot different? Doesn't seem to be linear, it feels more like BC2 than MW2 to me.

At least it sounds a lot better than MW2.

TEH-CJ

Banned
JB1981 said:
Got up early .. sitting in my bed reading the GAF impressions of this game and felt compelled to post. This game is not as good as MW2. Not even close, in my opinion.

First of all, purely from a technical standpoint (on PS3 at least) it pales in comparison. I played for about 3 hours last night w/ Denog and the_prime_mover... I had a good time (rented the game) but the game definitely feels like b-team material to me. Framerate is sub-par for a series that is known for 60fps. I thought this was due to lag, but I didn't play a single game last night that didn't suffer from noticeable dips in framerate. Don't get me started on the graphics. Maybe I am just becoming one of those graphics elitists (don't think so because MW2 is hardly top-tier material and it looks good to me) but the graphics on PS3 are poor. The textures are poor. The resolution is standard definition material, imo. The alpha effects, particles .. everything ... lack definition .. lack sharpness .. lack any visual impact. The game looks like mud. Treyarch even forces the game into 1080p ... perhaps to mask the low resolution? A lot of the maps feel like they blend together. The color models are all basically the same, and the design is clearly a step back from MW2 and COD 4. There is nothing memorable about any of the maps, they are all fairly generic. The only map that remotely stood out as the one with the rocket taking off .... pretty neat.

The game, for me, is lacking that "it" factor that make the IW COD's so special. Treyarch simply doesn't have what IW has. I appreciate that this game feels more 'balanced', but in their attempt to make the series slower and balanced, I feel that it lost some of its appeal. Even with annoying as the OMAers and noob tubes and commando pros are in MW2, the game was AAA material. You felt it in the map design, in the way the guns played ... the way maps flowed .... it's 6:21 am ... I probably don't sound very coherent, but I'm saddened that IW is done with this franchise. Treyarch just doesn't and probably will never have the special something that made the IW games so special. I will play the game and enjoy it for what it is, but I'm very surprised by the amount of praise the game is getting. Maybe it's my platform of choice .....

nope. the game is shit regardless of the platform. horrible game in every sense of the word.

Mailenstein said:
Just finished the game on "Hardened" - wow. GOTY for me. Never enjoyed the single player campaign of a Call of Duty THAT much. Way better than any CoD before imho.
I loved the story and setting too, I'd love to see that era be revisited by Treyarch. Were there any noteable difficulties on hardened? I only played it on normal.

Hanmik

Gamereactor Denmark gave the game 9/10. But that was just a copy paste of the norwegian review. Today they have a second opinion up from a Danish reviewer. He only reviews the multiplayer part.

Some highlights are here:

- I have finally tested the multiplayer part of Black Ops. And I must admit I am Disappointed, Disappointed and frustrated.
- First of all the netcode seems to be underperforming.
- It seems random how many shots it takes to kill and hit detection is sometimes misguided - you can shoot next to a man and still hit him. Shots to the head are not always registered as head shots, while shots to the body sometimes are.
- Matchmaking doesn´t work proberly.
- Spawnsystem is a big source for frustration.
- But the removal of certain milestones unlocks also means that the hunt for next unlock, the next fix, which helped to make modern warfare 2 so fun, is not present. You never sit and think "I just need 20 kills with ACOG, so I get access to a new scope", because you can just buy it. Some of the magic is gone.
- In the fun department it has been very limited in how much fun I've had with Black Ops' multiplayer part so far. There have been some brilliant moments, that thrill the first time you activate a new killstreak-award, or catching a group of enemies off guard and killing them all. But they are few and far apart. The list of my annoyances is long, much longer than I've mentioned here. But what bothers me most about this game is that it all feels so random. I do not get the impression that I have made or may make a difference, even when I lie on top of the scoreboard and have a kill / death ratio on the right side of 1. And it makes me ultimately frustrated and angry.
- Improved knowledge of the levels, their blind spots and how people move through them, will definitely help the experience. And the same can be said for understanding the weapons, the various Perks and attachments. I'm convinced that Call of Duty: Black Ops is a better experience when you get further into it. But I do not really want to play my way to that level. For the time being it feels more like a chore than a pleasure.

6/10

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
JB1981 said:

Didn't they lock it at 60fps?

ZZMitch

Decided to give some multiplayer a go tonight. I have never played CoD on PC before, and I gotta lot of work to do :lol

I am getting better though.

For those using side buttons, what do you use, I currently have the side buttons maped to melee and change stance, as well as clicking the scroll wheel for grenades, down to switch weapons and up to use a weapon attachment.

Um..is this meant to happen?

wtf1.png

wtf2.png

wtf3.png

Hanmik said:
Gamereactor Denmark gave the game 9/10. But that was just a copy paste of the norwegian review. Today they have a second opinion up from a Danish reviewer. He only reviews the multiplayer part.

Some highlights are here:

- I have finally tested the multiplayer part of Black Ops. And I must admit I am Disappointed, Disappointed and frustrated.
- First of all the netcode seems to be underperforming.
- It seems random how many shots it takes to kill and hit detection is sometimes misguided - you can shoot next to a man and still hit him. Shots to the head are not always registered as head shots, while shots to the body sometimes are.
- Matchmaking doesn´t work proberly.
- Spawnsystem is a big source for frustration.
- But the removal of certain milestones unlocks also means that the hunt for next unlock, the next fix, which helped to make modern warfare 2 so fun, is not present. You never sit and think "I just need 20 kills with ACOG, so I get access to a new scope", because you can just buy it. Some of the magic is gone.
- In the fun department it has been very limited in how much fun I've had with Black Ops' multiplayer part so far. There have been some brilliant moments, that thrill the first time you activate a new killstreak-award, or catching a group of enemies off guard and killing them all. But they are few and far apart. The list of my annoyances is long, much longer than I've mentioned here. But what bothers me most about this game is that it all feels so random. I do not get the impression that I have made or may make a difference, even when I lie on top of the scoreboard and have a kill / death ratio on the right side of 1. And it makes me ultimately frustrated and angry.
- Improved knowledge of the levels, their blind spots and how people move through them, will definitely help the experience. And the same can be said for understanding the weapons, the various Perks and attachments. I'm convinced that Call of Duty: Black Ops is a better experience when you get further into it. But I do not really want to play my way to that level. For the time being it feels more like a chore than a pleasure.

6/10
I agree with most of this, netcode and spawns are very frustrating, netcode especially as a full green ping bar in this game can mean half a second delay sometimes, killcam shows the lies :(

TEH-CJ

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
JB1981
I am full of shit

no he is not. if anything he is being too kind to the game. its baffling how so many people here can praise such a medicore game.

the mp fairs better than the horrible b rated shit that is the campaign, but thats still not saying much. JB nailed it when he said the game feels like a b rated muddy mess. everything feels like its blended, and made out of mud and not to mention the fucking random horrible gun play.

people can go into the Resistance 2 thread and post pages of crap as to why that game is so crap but in reality resistance 2 is like sex on a disk compared to this. its that bad

yes flame away. like I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

thechemist

WTF is up with the PS3 leaderboards for team death match?!

I was on 400ish kills this morning and 70ish assists, but after playing 3 games, I now have 1200 kills and 120 assists, broken leaderboards ftw!

Check out your stats, I don't know if this a problem on my side or if its a PS3 problem, but there is people complaining online.

Been playing MP on both the 360, and PS3 versions. Really fun. Fortunately for me the spawns haven't been too bad. Ran into nothing but campers on 360 though. :( Never played an FPS on 360, for any large amount of time so the controller is taking some getting use to. PS3 was definitely more fun because of PS3GAF. Gun Game, and One in the Chamber are crazy fun! Zombies is freaking awesome.Think I've had more fun in this mode than the regular MP, and haven't even played much yet.:lol

Still need to finish the SP though. Great so far. Favorite moment as of now:
When you get the Death Machine in the prison, and just start plowing through people. How can you not feel like a badass.:lol

Lince said:
Activision failed to mail the check to this guy

To be fair, I kind of agree with his comments on the feeling of randomness.

I'm hoping it's just the fact that the servers are getting raped right now but the hit detection feels kind of wonky and downright arbitrary. For example, I've had a few occasions where I've aimed down site at a guy, but the hits didn't register and other cases where I'm not even on target and I get the kill.

As much as I hate MW2, you knew a single burst from an M16 or Famas was a guaranteed kill if all three bullets hit. In Black OPS it feels like sometimes you need only one burst, other times three or other times 15 because you've been shooting a clueless player near point blank only to have the shots feel like they aren't registering as hits.

TEH-CJ said:
no he is not. if anything he is being too kind to the game. its baffling how so many people here can praise such a medicore game.

the mp fairs better than the horrible b rated shit that is the campaign, but thats still not saying much. JB nailed it when he said the game feels like a b rated muddy mess. everything feels like its blended, and made out of mud and not to mention the fucking random horrible gun play.

people can go into the Resistance 2 thread and post pages of crap as to why that game is so crap but in reality resistance 2 is like sex on a disk compared to this. its that bad

yes flame away. like I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

LOL, i was just quoting the dude's tag.

ResidentDante said:
I loved the story and setting too, I'd love to see that era be revisited by Treyarch. Were there any noteable difficulties on hardened? I only played it on normal.
Well, before I got Black Ops, I started CoD5:W@W on Veteran and I survived the "Their land, their blood" hell with that massive amount of Nazis spamming their nades like hell, so this was quite easy for me on Hardened :lol:. Anyway, it wasn't really that difficult.

Has anyone noticed a glitched end of match scoreboard? We were getting absolutely nailed in a domination match and this one guy ended on 52/2. So I thought I'd replay the match in Theatre and watch him. He actually died a hell of a lot more times than twice.

Also, are people fucking downloading movies or some shit whilst playing? Lag is terrible. So many host disconnections. I didn't expect this with p2p network.

Lince

Banned
I meant that it takes some balls to give a CoD game less than an 8 these days, no matter how bad or full of bugs they are. For instance the Spanish version has some horrible lip-sync issues (like the guy in the cut-scene starts talking and you hear the audio 3-4 seconds later) but they still give the game perfect scores, GOTY contender and such hyperboles.

and if that shit about the PS3 version being 540p is true... the PAL SD standard is 575p, can't believe a game supposed to be the blockbuster of the year runs in sub-SD on a 2010 HD console with lots of optimizing tools already available to developers. But hey, it's CoD, free pass guaranteed.

Lince said:
and if that shit about the PS3 version being 540p is true... the PAL SD standard is 575p, can't believe a game supposed to be the blockbuster of the year runs in sub-SD on a 2010 HD console with lots of optimizing tools already available to developers. But hey, it's CoD, free pass guaranteed.

Do people actually notice this? Can you really tell it's 540 as opposed to 590 or whatever?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game supports 3D, right? Perhaps they dropped the resolution to allow for 3D support and then just decided to run the game in 2D at the same low resolution.

A disturbing trend, if true.

Top Bottom