• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

There's nothing quite like those first few hours of play when you don't know the maps and end up getting pasted 3:1. It's going to take some work to bring my KDR back up.

I really should have played some MW2 before hopping back in. I'm tossing grenades every time I want to melee (ala Reach) and keep forgetting about running.

RS4-

MarkMclovin said:
Has anyone noticed a glitched end of match scoreboard? We were getting absolutely nailed in a domination match and this one guy ended on 52/2. So I thought I'd replay the match in Theatre and watch him. He actually died a hell of a lot more times than twice.

Also, are people fucking downloading movies or some shit whilst playing? Lag is terrible. So many host disconnections. I didn't expect this with p2p network.
Lag switches :lol

Ehh, I guess I'll pick this up for pc in a few hours. I should have jumped on that d2d sale :(

Lince said:
and if that shit about the PS3 version being 540p is true... the PAL SD standard is 575p, can't believe a game supposed to be the blockbuster of the year runs in sub-SD on a 2010 HD console with lots of optimizing tools already available to developers. But hey, it's CoD, free pass guaranteed.

I think the IQ would pretty awful if it was sub-SD. I find it hard to believe that it's not just a mixup and the game is 640p like the other COD games. Although that's bad for an AAA game already.

Lince

Banned
PalaceBrother said:
Do people actually notice this? Can you really tell it's 540 as opposed to 590 or whatever?

doesn't matter whether it's only one player or millions who notice the sub-SD resolution, the fact is the CoD franchise has made more than enough money to justify a new, decent multi-platform engine. As it stands now with Black Ops it seems like they're cutting resources everywhere just to make even more money. Greedy bastards.

Beardz

Question:

I used to love Modern Warfare but I got burned of playing it, I didn't buy WaW neither MW2... I feel like buying this, should I?

RedAssedApe

Banned
PalaceBrother said:
There's nothing quite like those first few hours of play when you don't know the maps and end up getting pasted 3:1. It's going to take some work to bring my KDR back up.

I really should have played some MW2 before hopping back in. I'm tossing grenades every time I want to melee (ala Reach) and keep forgetting about running.

I experienced this too for about the first two hours of gameplay after coming from Halo Reach.
For awhile my K/D was horrid...something like 0.5. Then I slowly started getting the hang of the controls again and I'm back up to 0.9 after four solid hours. You'll get back up there.

On a side note, I'm a little annoyed that they've locked things up like combat record and editing your tag. Having to wait until you're level 16 just to look at your overall stats is just plain dumb. I had no idea how I was doing for those first 3 hours.

And oh yeah...add me to the list when it comes to the spawning being retarded at times.

FrankT

What did this end up topping out at on Live last night, 2.5 million? Guessing that is a new record.

Lince said:
I meant that it takes some balls to give a CoD game less than an 8 these days, no matter how bad or full of bugs they are. For instance the Spanish version has some horrible lip-sync issues (like the guy in the cut-scene starts talking and you hear the audio 3-4 seconds later) but they still give the game perfect scores, GOTY contender and such hyperboles.

and if that shit about the PS3 version being 540p is true... the PAL SD standard is 575p, can't believe a game supposed to be the blockbuster of the year runs in sub-SD on a 2010 HD console with lots of optimizing tools already available to developers. But hey, it's CoD, free pass guaranteed.

Sub-SD is just weird. Not sure why they would drop it down from the others.

I wonder how long we will have to wait before we get a patch to fix spawns and the obvious and terrible delay lag in shooting people, until those two things are fixed this game is just a random mess of gun battles :/ fuck the microsoft 2 week patch delays i'll end up selling this game before then.

MYE said:
Is this one also ruined by shit eating, grenade launching fucktards?
No it's much better but the netcode is different, some shots will not register instantly and you will die because of it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
MYE said:
Is this one also ruined by shit eating, grenade launching fucktards?

I think they actually nerfed the noob tube a little bit? I noticed that even if you have the Warlord (two attachment perk), it won't let you use two attachments if you use the grenade launcher attachment. Or was it because I already had a launcher as my secondary?

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
coolcole93 said:
Do you mean failed you yesterday or failed you today as well? I ordered with Tesco Entertainment too..if it doesn't come today I'm just gonna buy another copy and sell the spare in three weeks when it actually comes :p

My plan too, only thing is it is OOS (PS3) in everyshop I have been too, except Argos where it is £44.99 , no thanks.

Vormund

henhowc said:
I experienced this too for about the first two hours of gameplay after coming from Halo Reach.
For awhile my K/D was horrid...something like 0.5. Then I slowly started getting the hang of the controls again and I'm back up to 0.9 after four solid hours. You'll get back up there.

On a side note, I'm a little annoyed that they've locked things up like combat record and editing your tag. Having to wait until you're level 16 just to look at your overall stats is just plain dumb. I had no idea how I was doing for those first 3 hours.

Yeah since this is my first CoD game in a long time I was getting slaughtered but now I am usually on 1/1 kdr once I got used to the way the game feels.

Diablohead said:
No it's much better but the netcode is different, some shots will not register instantly and you will die because of it.

Oh yeah had a bit of this. I shoot at some one and I die but when I see their kill cam I just stand there.

MYE

Diablohead said:

:/
Is this a console-only problem or does it affect the PC version too?

JimmyBoy

Has there ever been an explanation given for why (on Xbox at least) the party system repeatedly breaks? It took me and 7 other guys 14 attempts to actually get into a lobby and get a game going. Either the party breaks, or you get in but 1 or 2 people get booted.

Furthermore, why doesn't the game give everyone else in the party an indication that you've actually started up matchmaking??? You have to give your friends a play by play about how getting into a game is going because they have no idea until they're already in the game!

I'm not sure how this stuff made it past QA or even past QA for MW2.

Gameplay itself is pretty enjoyable - just need to get used to how the guns handle after so much Halo Reach.

Chuckie

Lince said:
doesn't matter whether it's only one player or millions who notice the sub-SD resolution, the fact is the CoD franchise has made more than enough money to justify a new, decent multi-platform engine. As it stands now with Black Ops it seems like they're cutting resources everywhere just to make even more money. Greedy bastards.

Ofcourse it does matter. We live in a capitalist world. No company would spend more on a higher resolution if only one user notices it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I know there is a ton of hate in this thread like with most big releases, but I am really loving this game. I think it looks great, had framerate issues only in huge explosions, and love the new progression system. I will be playing this for a loooong time.

TimeLike

So I'm playing a round of Team Deathmatch and I kill this guy who was waiting for his care package. I run over and start taking the package and BAM! "Disconnected from Xbox Live" pops up. I was able to immediately sign back in though. Was that just coincidence or do certain people have that kind of power? That's never happened to me in all my years of using XboxLive unless it was a regularly scheduled update or maintenance.

dskillzhtown said:
I know there is a ton of hate in this thread like with most big releases, but I am really loving this game. I think it looks great, had framerate issues only in huge explosions, and love the new progression system. I will be playing this for a loooong time.

Exactly how I feel. Maybe its an experiences may vary type thing, but after 6 hours of play yesterday, I experienced no lag, only had a bad spawn very seldomly (playing MTDM, Domination, and Demolition), and thought everything looked and played pretty good.

TheApatheticOne said:
Exactly how I feel. Maybe its an experiences may vary type thing, but after 6 hours of play yesterday, I experienced no lag, only had a bad spawn very seldomly (playing MTDM, Domination, and Demolition), and thought everything looked and played pretty good.

Yup, same here too. Really enjoying everything about the game so far.

Aon

coolcole93 said:
Um..is this meant to happen?

wtf1.png

wtf2.png

wtf3.png

I love how this fit's perfectly into the game's conspiracy aesthetic.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I played the ps3 version online for about 4 hours last night. I really enjoyed it. I saw what I thought were lag spikes during games, but not slowdown. I love the 7.1 audio for this game! I am up to level 15 and have a k/d hovering above 1. I do think the resolution is disappointing, but I think the color pallette is on par withall previous cod's. All in all, I am very pleased with the ps3 version and look forward to playing it with gaffers this evening.

JimmyBoy

PalaceBrother said:

Over 20 times and counting. :lol

Diablohead said:
I agree with most of this, netcode and spawns are very frustrating, netcode especially as a full green ping bar in this game can mean half a second delay sometimes, killcam shows the lies :(
Me too, this post nasally sums up my feelings exactly!

JimmyBoy said:
Has there ever been an explanation given for why (on Xbox at least) the party system repeatedly breaks? It took me and 7 other guys 14 attempts to actually get into a lobby and get a game going. Either the party breaks, or you get in but 1 or 2 people get booted.

Furthermore, why doesn't the game give everyone else in the party an indication that you've actually started up matchmaking??? You have to give your friends a play by play about how getting into a game is going because they have no idea until they're already in the game!

Anyone else encountering this? Party breaking is really killing the game for my friends.

X26

Banned
thechemist said:
WTF is up with the PS3 leaderboards for team death match?!

I was on 400ish kills this morning and 70ish assists, but after playing 3 games, I now have 1200 kills and 120 assists, broken leaderboards ftw!

Check out your stats, I don't know if this a problem on my side or if its a PS3 problem, but there is people complaining online.

yea it's like that for everybody, at some point I had over 13,000 kills in domination after 5hrs of playtime :lol

How in the hell does this game chose host, im in a party with my friend whos on 50mb down 3mb up which is pretty high for the uk. We search local only and hes had host maybes once since launch morning. Instead we get laggy as fuck hosts where everyone in the server is three bars or less apart from the host. Also partys seem a bit broke dropping players, booting you from the game etc. This is all ps3 version by the way.

They probably sold a gazillion copies. I hope they realise that they can't just think that this means the game is brilliant.

Ofcourse they allready KNOW it isn't but i hope they will seriousl adress some of the problems on each platform.

TimeLike said:
So I'm playing a round of Team Deathmatch and I kill this guy who was waiting for his care package. I run over and start taking the package and BAM! "Disconnected from Xbox Live" pops up. I was able to immediately sign back in though. Was that just coincidence or do certain people have that kind of power? That's never happened to me in all my years of using XboxLive unless it was a regularly scheduled update or maintenance.

Funny you mention this because I just remembered what happened in a lobby last night. Someone was in a group chat with other people and has just said to the lobby, number 5 is going in 3..2...1.. and that guy was kicked from the lobby. It wasn't a private match.

JB1981

dskillzhtown said:

Hate? I see mostly praise.

JB1981

Dark FaZe said:
Anyone else encountering this? Party breaking is really killing the game for my friends.

COD party system (for large parties) has always been like this. Will probably never get fixed.

Lince said:
I meant that it takes some balls to give a CoD game less than an 8 these days, no matter how bad or full of bugs they are. For instance the Spanish version has some horrible lip-sync issues (like the guy in the cut-scene starts talking and you hear the audio 3-4 seconds later) but they still give the game perfect scores, GOTY contender and such hyperboles.

CoD4 and Mw2 were both sub-hd. At least I remember them being that.

Raide

BattleMonkey said:
Theres been problems with every launch of COD, none has been perfect at launch. Give it time folks.

Well, as long as they don't drag it out like IW did with the Javelin Glitch. :lol

I am not buying Black Ops yet, might pick it up in the New Year. Currently don't have time and I am saving money. :D

ACE 1991

dskillzhtown said:

My thoughts exactly :D

We need more positive vibes here.

Is it crazy to think the PC version might not get sufficiently patched? It seems to be in Activision's best interests to get everyone playing on console, and this ridiculously bad performance on the first day might be enough to get a lot of PC players to concede to the console version next time. I love my keyboard and mouse combo but even I have to admit it's frustrating as hell seeing my console buddies having fun while I sit here with a near unplayable game.

cameltoe

Meus Renaissance said:
What's the best rifle? SMG seems the best weapon for TDM. Frags are useless.

Im diggin the G11....

When there isnt lag the game is great...too bad theres lag more often then not.

I guess when the host discconects it doesnt save that game to your game files...Ive had some really great games that I cant find...Im assuming its because the host left mid game...?

Whats up with hosting? Ive been lagging hard, only have 2-3 bars so I quit..only to discover I was the host!? WTF! Dudes connected to me have 4 bars but I only have 2 as host?

the_concierge said:
Is it crazy to think the PC version might not get sufficiently patched? It seems to be in Activision's best interests to get everyone playing on console, and this ridiculously bad performance on the first day might be enough to get a lot of PC players to concede to the console version next time. I love my keyboard and mouse combo but even I have to admit it's frustrating as hell seeing my console buddies having fun while I sit here with a near unplayable game.
I don't get that I'm having a blast, sure sometimes their is an lag spike but 90% of the time the game plays fine for me.

the_concierge said:

W@W got regular patches, and they seem more friendly to the PC market that IW was, so don't see why Trey is not going to support the PC version this time.

Meus Renaissance said:
What's the best rifle? SMG seems the best weapon for TDM. Frags are useless.
Throw grenades into windows, I random throw them into a 2nd story room and get a kill now and again :lol same with claymores they have little to no detonation time now, stick one around a corner for a free kill.

Top Bottom