• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

hamchan

the_concierge said:
Is it crazy to think the PC version might not get sufficiently patched? It seems to be in Activision's best interests to get everyone playing on console, and this ridiculously bad performance on the first day might be enough to get a lot of PC players to concede to the console version next time. I love my keyboard and mouse combo but even I have to admit it's frustrating as hell seeing my console buddies having fun while I sit here with a near unplayable game.

Or PC players just won't buy any version at all :lol

cameltoe

The Dutch Slayer said:
I don't get that I'm having a blast, sure sometimes their is an lag spike but 90% of the time the game plays fine for me.

It stutters every few seconds for me....then when a large explosion goes off, it crawls at like 2 FPS. It will stay this way for about 10 seconds...

Q6600
4gb ram
4870 1gb

Gary Whitta said:
I played the SP campaign right through and have played an hour or two of MP and haven't noticed any performance issues on PC yet.

bloodforge said:
I've played 4 hours of multi player and I haven't had any performance issues on PC either.

These comments infuriate me. So to those out there playing multiplayer with relatively good performance, what cpu are you running? Can this problem be solved simply by throwing a massive quad-core at it?

Again, my situation: upon entering a server my frames drop to 1-2 fps for about 10 seconds. It's literally a slide show. After a bit that will settle down and then I'm able to get into the actual game. While running around the map alone I get roughly 50-60 fps. But once I'm around other people, or especially if there's shooting going on, frames will dump down into the teens, and enemies will often skip/warp across the screen.

All my graphical settings are rock bottom, except my 1080 resolution.

E8400 @ 3.6
GTX 460
4GB

Unplayable.

Erasus

the_concierge said:
Is it crazy to think the PC version might not get sufficiently patched? It seems to be in Activision's best interests to get everyone playing on console, and this ridiculously bad performance on the first day might be enough to get a lot of PC players to concede to the console version next time. I love my keyboard and mouse combo but even I have to admit it's frustrating as hell seeing my console buddies having fun while I sit here with a near unplayable game.

I hope not, but we have not had any real response on if they have found the problem or know what it is yet.

Dyno

Played some of the single player last night and it's no better or interesting than Medal of Honor. This game has b-rated shooter written all over it.

The zombie level was a bit more fun but popping heads with a bolt action rifle is something we've all done before.

This will be the first COD that I take a pass on. Maybe next year.

GodofWine

bdouble said:
sending.....

My first impression was way above MW2.

Ditto, same goes for 3 of my friends who bought this (1 PS3, 1 Xbox), we all love it compared to MW2, and all rank the MP very close to MW1

DMeisterJ

Banned
I like this much more than MW2... Aside from the occasional network error, it's such an amazingly balanced game.

And I love the AK74u and Galil. <3

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Chopper Gunner is still annoying as shit. Some guy got it on Hanoi and I spawn then died like 2 seconds later about 3 times in a row, even with Ghost on.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I find the MP to be more tactical than MW2. In addition, the immediate diversity that is generated by giving the people the option to buy various upgrades has made the game much more enjoyable, and I would wager it is more approachable.

DenogginizerOS said:
I find the MP to be more tactical than MW2. In addition, the immediate diversity that is generated by giving the people the option to buy various upgrades has made the game much more enjoyable, and I would wager it is more approachable.

Yes it's much better than MW2, lot less clusterfuck. I feel like I'm playing an actual game about shooting people instead of tons of random shit going on and stupid deaths.

Setanta

Apart from issues already pointed out. Very positive so far.
Initial impressions are above that of MW/MW2/WAW. A lot to play with and keep the user busy for months to come.

One thing I have noticed that isn't pointed out is on Surround Sound, with the PS3 version, there is a noticable 'lag' with rear speaker sounds. No probs with any other game, but with Black Ops, if you are running on metal surfaces you hear the normal footstep sounds on the other speakers, but it is playing catch up to reach the rear speakers with atleast 1.5 sec delay.

NameGenerated said:
Chopper Gunner is still annoying as shit. Some guy got it on Hanoi and I spawn then died like 2 seconds later about 3 times in a row, even with Ghost on.
I had it once where I spawned in the same place like 4 times in a row, death within a second each time :/

At least it's not adding to kill streaks any more, no panic for someone ending the match with a nuke, too.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
NameGenerated said:

I hope that's the next thing remove for the next CoD. Once I unlock the Barebones playlists, that's all I am going to play for the remainder of the game so I don't have to deal with care packages or killstreaks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DMeisterJ said:
I like this much more than MW2... Aside from the occasional network error, it's such an amazingly balanced game.

And I love the AK74u and Galil. <3
Yes! I can't put a huge post like JB did with his opinion but I love the maps more than the last 2 games. In MW, there was this certain grunge to them. In this game, there are more visually pleasing varieties in the maps. That map with the school bus in the middle of a suburb was just something I did not expect. It's fun. I'm fairly early into the SP but it seems par for the course, which isn't bad but not award winning. The MP is much improved in terms of features and new things to do. I'm impressed. Haven't even touched threatre, training, or zombies yet either. So much to do. I love how you can watch your replays anytime you want.

Performance, it doesn't seem worse nor better than MW2. I can tell it dips below the 60 a few times but like any other game, if it was bad I would be really upset but it seems to stay above 30 at all times.

Kingbrave said:
I've played 10 games this morning and everyone keeps voting for Nuketown. I hate people. :lol
:lol
I've noticed this a few times too. I like the look of nuketown, but it could have been a bit bigger map imo.

Kingbrave

ResidentDante said:
I've noticed this a few times too. I like the look of nuketown, but it could have been a bit bigger map imo.

I like the map, just not every round. I keep looking for a fridge to climb in for some reason....

ResidentDante said:

I enjoy Nuketown a lot more than I enjoyed Rust on MW2. Now playing Headquarters on Shipment on MW1, that's another story! God, the grenade spam! (It was actually fun though)

AwRy108

Played the PS3 version online for 3+ hours last night, absolutely love it (tho I wish I didn't suck so much!).

Extremely surprised how well the servers held up on launch day: I had no noticeable lag and only 2 disconnects, that's it.

I also love the new CoD Points system, makes everything feel more like an RPG; and also takes away the annoyance of grinding for XP only to have something unlock that you don't want.

Well done, Treyarch.

ZZMitch

I am not having any issues with the PC version, besides a bit of lag on the multiplayer side from time to time (single player and zombies are almost always 60fps), everything has been perfect for me at the highest possible settings.

i5-760
GTX 460 1G
4G ram

saelz8

Performance difference between 360 and PC is a travesty. They threw in a server browser and some other stuff to make it a better game on the platform and I appreciate that, but they completely neglected performance. This is one of the buggiest PC games I've ever played.

cameltoe said:
It stutters every few seconds for me....then when a large explosion goes off, it crawls at like 2 FPS. It will stay this way for about 10 seconds...

Q6600
4gb ram
4870 1gb
Yup same here, same system also. I continue to play despite that but not for long periods, I enjoy the game and when they eventually fix these issues it will be a good day, I just hope they wont take more than a week or two because I will be playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood by then.

Kingbrave said:
I've played 10 games this morning and everyone keeps voting for Nuketown. I hate people. :lol

Nuketown could've been such an excellent map if it were a couple of "blocks" wider. The look is fantastic. Unfortunately, it's horrible with 12 or more players, and they need to get it out of the bigger playlists.

Aside from that, I can't believe people are hating on the multiplayer for lacking "flow" of MW2, or "missing something" that MW2 had....You guys are out of your minds. Is this the same treatment WaW got? Aside from the spawns, which from my ~5 hours of multi aren't any worse than MW2 spawns, this is a complete 180 from MW2. The focus is finally back to shooting and balanced loadouts, and I'm having a good time because of it.

Kingbrave said:
:lol That's the worst. The first time I played it, I thought it was bigger than it actually is and ran around in front of one of the houses and was immediately mowed down. There are a whole lot of spawn issues on that map, too. I was upstairs in one of the houses and the entire enemy team spawned behind me. Luckily, we had a Spy Plane up so I could see that they spawned, whipped around quickly, saw three guys sprinting at me and took one out for the last kill of the game. Fun times.

Net_Wrecker said:
Aside from that, I can't believe people are hating on the multiplayer for lacking "flow" of MW2, or "missing something" that MW2 had....You guys are out of your minds. Is this the same treatment WaW got? Aside from the spawns, which from my ~5 hours of multi aren't any worse than MW2 spawns, this is a complete 180 from MW2. The focus is finally back to shooting and balanced loadouts, and I'm having a good time because of it.
I kind of feel like most of the people posting in this thread that think that didn't really play MW2 all that much. The game is as fast or slow paced as you make it and it seems a whole lot more fair and balanced (as far as weapons, etc. go). I'm digging it.

JB1981

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes! I can't put a huge post like JB did with his opinion but I love the maps more than the last 2 games. In MW, there was this certain grunge to them. In this game, there are more visually pleasing varieties in the maps. That map with the school bus in the middle of a suburb was just something I did not expect. It's fun. I'm fairly early into the SP but it seems par for the course, which isn't bad but not award winning. The MP is much improved in terms of features and new things to do. I'm impressed. Haven't even touched threatre, training, or zombies yet either. So much to do. I love how you can watch your replays anytime you want.

Performance, it doesn't seem worse nor better than MW2. I can tell it dips below the 60 a few times but like any other game, if it was bad I would be really upset but it seems to stay above 30 at all times.

I actually don't find there to be visually pleasing variety at all. Quite frankly, I find the art direction uninspired and boring. And the multiplayer performance between this and MW2 is night and day. MW2 is like driving a ferrari .. this is like a chevy volt.

cameltoe

NameGenerated said:

you need ghost pro....

I was shooting down everything in sight until I got ghost pro.....now I dont bother!
Chopper Gunner take two rockets to down it, 1 to pop the flares, number 2 takes it out.

Hell, I was shooting down care package choppers!

ultron87

cameltoe said:
I was shooting down everything in sight until I got ghost pro.....now I dont bother!
Chopper Gunner take two rockets to down it, 1 to pop the flares, number 2 takes it out.

Is there a MW2 Stinger equivalent in this game that starts you with two rockets?

henhowc said:
I experienced this too for about the first two hours of gameplay after coming from Halo Reach.
For awhile my K/D was horrid...something like 0.5. Then I slowly started getting the hang of the controls again and I'm back up to 0.9 after four solid hours. You'll get back up there.

You're right-I had my first positive KDR followed by a .9 the next game. Can't wait to actually unlock the stats page.

Lothars

JB1981 said:
I actually don't find there to be visually pleasing variety at all. Quite frankly, I find the art direction uninspired and boring. And the multiplayer performance between this and MW2 is night and day. MW2 is like driving a ferrari .. this is like a chevy volt.

I think your giving MW2 more credit but If you had said MW, I would fully agree with you.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Setanta said:
Apart from issues already pointed out. Very positive so far.
Initial impressions are above that of MW/MW2/WAW. A lot to play with and keep the user busy for months to come.

One thing I have noticed that isn't pointed out is on Surround Sound, with the PS3 version, there is a noticable 'lag' with rear speaker sounds. No probs with any other game, but with Black Ops, if you are running on metal surfaces you hear the normal footstep sounds on the other speakers, but it is playing catch up to reach the rear speakers with atleast 1.5 sec delay.
That is odd. I didn't hear this at all last night. I was actually impressed with the 7.1 support.

JB1981 said:
And the multiplayer performance between this and MW2 is night and day. MW2 is like driving a ferrari .. this is like a chevy volt.
I didn't find this to be the case last night for me. Perhaps we could play some more tonight.

Rikyfree

Raide said:
Well, as long as they don't drag it out like IW did with the Javelin Glitch. :lol

I am not buying Black Ops yet, might pick it up in the New Year. Currently don't have time and I am saving money. :D
I'm right there with you. This game looks massively better than MW2, which sucked imo. I feel quite a few issues will be sorted in a month's time when I get the game. If not, meh, I can always play zombies and bot games. I'm hoping to find my next big MP game since KZ3 is not looking too great (still have it preordered for the SP and possible co-op).

A couple changes from MW2 that I find very interesting:

-You can't fire grenade launchers in the first couple seconds of a match.
-Scavenger doesn't refill your launcher ammo.
-You can't run any underslung attachments with a sight, mags, or any other attachment.
-Commando, OMA, and all the damage/health modification perks are gone.
-Claymores are weakened, grenades seem scaled back.
-No game-ending killstreaks.
-No chaining to get higher killstreaks (makes SR-71 and up damn rare).
-Snipers seem more difficult to use.
-Secondary weapons are super lightweight - no machine pistols or shotguns.
-No deathstreaks.

Thanks for fixing CoD, Treyarch.

On the other hand, I'd gotten pretty good at playing the system in MW2 and usually ran 20 or 30-5 KD. Now I'm down to 15-4 ish. Which is a bummer.

Genesis Knight said:

-You can't fire grenade launchers in the first couple seconds of a match.
-Scavenger doesn't refill your launcher ammo.
-You can't run any underslung attachments with a sight, mags, or any other attachment.
-No deathstreaks.

I agree 100% with this, MW2 was a terrible experience for me. I think the worst there was what seemed to be the most "awesome" weapon ever was dual wielding some fucking shotguns from the 18th century. Teenage kids seemd to love to run around with these killing everybody while screaming loudly on their mics. God I hated MW2 mp come to think of it :p

cameltoe

buy teh haloz said:
Also, the default launcher seems better than the one in MW2. It locks on and fires faster, and I think it does more damage as well.

You take take down any chopper with 2 shots from any launcher.

cameltoe

Genesis Knight said:

-You can't fire grenade launchers in the first couple seconds of a match.-Scavenger doesn't refill your launcher ammo.
-No deathstreaks.

also, nades will not explode if thrown at the start of a round (S&D)

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I've been playing on PC and I notice a huge improvement this morning. apparently they worked some of the kinks out with the central server and are still tweaking it as well. I don't get any of the unbearable stutters that I was getting yesterday morning.

cameltoe said:
also, nades will not explode if thrown at the start of a round (S&D)
Well that's a good thing. I remember my brother used to be able to launch a noob tube at the beginning of S&D across almost any map and get a kill or two. Glad it was finally fixed.

Is it just me but if you put a suppressor on a gun it makes it a weak as piss?
Threw one on the Enfield last night and the gun was pretty much unusable same with the Famas but that makes up for it with its high rate of fire

cameltoe said:

I have yet to control a chopper, so I'm not sure, but I assumed the flares were player controlled - meaning while on the ground I could get a lock-on, wait for the pilot to panic and launch flares, and then fire my one rocket to hit. Are you saying that the flares are automatic and won't actually activate until I fire my rocket? Because that's kind of dumb... since the default launcher only has one rocket.

backflip10019 said:
Well that's a good thing. I remember my brother used to be able to launch a noob tube at the beginning of S&D across almost any map and get a kill or two. Glad it was finally fixed.

Yep. Every time Afghan or Invasion loaded up you could be guaranteed 1-3 kills in Domination.

Top Bottom