• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Lakitu

st5fu
I'll probably wait for this to go down in price then play the SP. Never been a big fan of Call of Duty multiplayer. The campaigns have been fun though, not amazing, but fun nonetheless. I don't expect this to go down for a while yet though.

Genesis Knight said:
A couple changes from MW2 that I find very interesting:

-You can't fire grenade launchers in the first couple seconds of a match.
-Scavenger doesn't refill your launcher ammo.
-You can't run any underslung attachments with a sight, mags, or any other attachment.
-Commando, OMA, and all the damage/health modification perks are gone.
-Claymores are weakened, grenades seem scaled back.
-No game-ending killstreaks.
-No chaining to get higher killstreaks (makes SR-71 and up damn rare).
-Snipers seem more difficult to use.
-Secondary weapons are super lightweight - no machine pistols or shotguns.
-No deathstreaks.

Thanks for fixing CoD, Treyarch.

You know what this does?

First 4 minutes of a match:

MW2:

UAV/Care Package
Predators raping your family
Harriers raping your family (Unless you're level 30)
Chopper Gunners raping your family (Unless you're level 30, and aren't getting spawn killed)
Possible Nuke raping the Earth (Unless you quit)

BO:

Couple of Spy Planes/RCXDs
Couple of Care Packages with more Spy Planes
Maybe some sort of Airstrike
Your family is intact.
Match goes on.

The difference is crazy.

PoweredBySoy said:
I have yet to control a chopper, so I'm not sure, but I assumed the flares were player controlled - meaning while on the ground I could get a lock-on, wait for the pilot to panic and launch flares, and then fire my one rocket to hit. Are you saying that the flares are automatic and won't actually activate until I fire my rocket? Because that's kind of dumb... since the default launcher only has one rocket.
Flares automatically go off. Even the non-player controlled helicopter has them now.

Garryk

ResidentDante said:
I agree 100% with this, MW2 was a terrible experience for me. I think the worst there was what seemed to be the most "awesome" weapon ever was dual wielding some fucking shotguns from the 18th century. Teenage kids seemd to love to run around with these killing everybody while screaming loudly on their mics. God I hated MW2 mp come to think of it :p
Give it time. They will come.

Kyoufu

Can someone tell me if I will get XP in unranked games? I haven't played a PC FPS in so long this interface confuses me lol.

Also, I see 32 player servers. I kame.

Net_Wrecker said:
You know what this does?

First 4 minutes of a match:

MW2:

UAV/Care Package
Predators raping your family
Harriers raping your family (Unless you're level 30)
Chopper Gunners raping your family (Unless you're level 30, and aren't getting spawn killed)
Possible Nuke raping the Earth (Unless you quit)

BO:

Couple of Spy Planes/RCXDs
Couple of Care Packages with more Spy Planes
Maybe some sort of Airstrike
Your family is intact.
Match goes on.

The difference is crazy.

And don´t forget the tactics in crude mode. That leaves planes, packages and perks in house... I love this mode. The most strategical by far and with 8 people max!.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
That is odd. I didn't hear this at all last night. I was actually impressed with the 7.1 support.

I didn't find this to be the case last night for me. Perhaps we could play some more tonight.

Yea I'm definitely down to play some more tonight. I sound negative ... well ... I mean .. I think the game is a mixed bag ... I had a good time last night .. I"m not saying the game isn't fun or doesn't have redeeming qualities, I just find it to be a step below its predecessors in basically every category. It's kind of like going shopping at Chinatown and getting an imitation.. it looks good but you can tell it ain't the real thing. I don't know, just my feeling right now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ZZMitch said:
Intel Core i5 760

dang, same as mine but I'm running the game much worse than any previous cod-game I've owned on 360

bollocks...

I was also super impressed by the stat tracking in the game. This is absolutely the most in depth in game stat tracking that I've ever seen in a game. Might even beat out Bungie.net's stat tracking for Reach. Good on Treyarch.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'm using i5 760, HD5850 and 4gb ram. No performance issues whatsoever except the mysterious "lag" with people warping around in Multiplayer.

Home

I feel that some of the maps (nuketown in particular) are too small for 9v9, I always preferred 6v6 over Ground War in MW2. Atleast with dedicated servers scrims can be set up. :)

GodofWine

JB1981 said:
it looks good but you can tell it ain't the real thing. I don't know, just my feeling right now.

What one was the 'real thing'? I get what you are saying, but to me the only real thing was COD4, and in terms of replicating the experience of that, I think this one (codblops) is closest, with WaW second..they may lack a little of the 'shine' of MW2, but that felt more like an arcade game. Blops and WaW, feel more tactile, like COD4 did.

I dunno...hard to express thoughts sometimes on these things for both of us I guess :)

Corky said:
dang, same as mine but I'm running the game much worse than any previous cod-game I've owned on 360

bollocks...

Well, I definitely think you may be an outlier, because every person I've asked that is getting good mp performance is running either an i5 or i7. Conversely, everyone running a C2D is experiencing unplayable framerates.

R2D4 said:
Just got the Dogs in a care package. No kills. :|
Got them last night in a care package as well. I feel like they've been nerfed considerably since W@W. I only got 2 kills with them (one of which was the final kill of the game -- super satisfying to see my pups jump 10 feet and take down a guy from behind :lol )

2 pc questions

1st:
If the game has an "connection interrupted" is that a problem on my end or server end?

2nd:
So I used the theater mode for a bit, but can you only upload to the website now?
I can't seem to find the recorded files on my pc in the folders from black ops.
Is their a way to get it on my hard drive?

Loxley

With regards to the PC version's weird system resource usage and it's associated problems that many including myself are having, there's a thread about it on the Steam forums (with over 1000 replies, no less). Some are supposed "fixes" people have been suggesting, but they're basically just work-arounds and nothing permanent.

Ugh, this is frustrating. I really hope Treyarch knows what's going on and can fix it in some way, otherwise it's the 360 version for me : /

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Treyarch have gotten very slick with their SP. It's more like a movie. You don't realize you're just going to be thrown into the next level. Started playing at 11PM last night, next thing I know it's 2AM...I'm onto you fuckers.

Osaka said:
I'm using i5 760, HD5850 and 4gb ram. No performance issues whatsoever except the mysterious "lag" with people warping around in Multiplayer.

... and that sounds like actual lag, which is expected I guess, and not optimization issues.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm digging the Forrest Gump with guns aspect of the SP, its a fascinating period in history, and although I wish they had done a little more with it - the Bay of Pigs level is a wasted opportunity - it is much more interesting than MW2's third world war setting. I haven't hit any 'twists' or 'shock set pieces' yet, so my opinion of SP may drop if they are as lame as MW2's.

Played SP for an hour so far. Not as exciting as MW/MW2, but definitely a step up for Treyarch. Enjoyable game.

A mission glitched on me though which has never happened in a COD game before and I couldn't be bothered to do it again yet, which is a shame. Ruined the pacing of the game quite a bit since it was all flowing so well.

cameltoe

PoweredBySoy said:
I have yet to control a chopper, so I'm not sure, but I assumed the flares were player controlled - meaning while on the ground I could get a lock-on, wait for the pilot to panic and launch flares, and then fire my one rocket to hit. Are you saying that the flares are automatic and won't actually activate until I fire my rocket? Because that's kind of dumb... since the default launcher only has one rocket.

I had a few gunners and was never locked on so IDK...im assuming they are automatic...I didnt try to hold the lock on....hmmm need to try this

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
poppabk said:
I'm digging the Forrest Gump with guns aspect of the SP, its a fascinating period in history, and although I wish they had done a little more with it - the Bay of Pigs level is a wasted opportunity - it is much more interesting than MW2's third world war setting. I haven't hit any 'twists' or 'shock set pieces' yet, so my opinion of SP may drop if they are as lame as MW2's.

I was questioning the time period/settings that they chose originally. But, I'm actually really enjoying every aspect of the game right now. The only drawback is that you don't get the absolute most modern versions of weapons. I am an M4/M16 lover so it sucks that I don't get the exact rifle I want. But, I'll live.

They've managed to chip away at the PC lag that was plaguing the MP, so that makes me happy. Aside from that, everything about this game is damn good. I haven't played a PC fps in a long, long time and this will keep me coming back for more. Everything looks very good. I've only jumped into the campaign a little bit, but the zombie mode is also a ton of fun. I also really enjoy the currency system that they threw in the MP. Killstreaks are working as they should work as well.

PoweredBySoy said:
... and that sounds like actual lag, which is expected I guess, and not optimization issues.

Yeah I hate that a large number of people keep referring to the performance issues as "lag". I was in a game last night where people were complaining that there was even "lag" in single player. I hope the devs realize this is not a lag issue but rather a performance issue from their shoddy port work.

Loxley said:
Added my credentials.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Yeah I hate that a large number of people keep referring to the performance issues as "lag". I was in a game last night where people were complaining that there was even "lag" in single player. I hope the devs realize this is not a lag issue but rather a performance issue from their shoddy port work.
Oh I HATE when people don't understand correct terminology. Every time that I'm playing with my buddy and it's actually visually lagging, he calls it "glitching." Makes me want to pull my hair out.

just to be on the safe side.. Can you change difficulty in the middle of the game?
My plan is to finish the game on veteran, and so far so good, but if it gets too much of a hassle i'd like to be able to change..

belvedere

Junior Butler
I don't know what to do. Most of my friends (but not all) have the PS3 version, but I'm wanting to give the PC version a go. I do most of my MP gaming on my PC but bought MW1 and 2 on the PS3 to play with friends.

Decisions decisions.

Dennis

Banned
Always-honest said:
just to be on the safe side.. Can you change difficulty in the middle of the game?
My plan is to finish the game on veteran, and so far so good, but if it gets too much of a hassle i'd like to be able to change..
Yes, you can. You can lower it.

God damn Treyarch sucks at making decent levels. Vietnam feels like the trench levels in WaW. AI is worse than ever. Died so many times with the enemy running past all the other idiots and hitting me with their gun.

Lince

Banned
DF face-off

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-call-of-duty-black-ops-faceoff

The Xbox 360 version remains the same (our measurement comes in at 1040x608
with 2x MSAA) but it appears to be the case that the PS3 game has been reduced to 960x544 again with 2x MSAA.

While neither version is locked at 60FPS, there is what we've called in the past a "perceptual 60FPS", where despite the frame-drops you still feel as though you're getting the advantages of the fastest possible frame-rate. There's a fine line in this perceptual divide, but when there can be as much as a 20FPS difference between the two versions, it's safe to say that it's the Xbox 360 version that more consistently delivers the feel of 60FPS gameplay.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Am i the only one having trouble with knifing someone online? Getting my ass handed to me but i keep missing kills i think i should be getting and i don't know why.

Top Bottom