• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

NinjaFridge said:
Am i the only one having trouble with knifing someone online? Getting my ass handed to me but i keep missing kills i think i should be getting and i don't know why.
Yeah, I was having the same problem last night. I would run up to someone and knife them only to see myself die and them get the knife kill. I'm hoping that this can be attributed to the heavy load that XBL was taking last night from the 3 mill people playing.

NinjaFridge said:
Am i the only one having trouble with knifing someone online? Getting my ass handed to me but i keep missing kills i think i should be getting and i don't know why.
Lack of knife lock on strengh makes me miss so much more then before, so I don't do it.

iNvid02

TERMINAL COMMANDS
here ya go nubs

ZORK - text based adventure game
DOA - unlock arcade mini game of zombies, really fun
3ARC UNLOCK - play zombies as presidents and castro defending the pentagon - HILARIOUS

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Still can't believe I just bought this shit... I need an intervention.

But my BFBC2 pals are all playing Black Ops.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
NinjaFridge said:
It's a joke like it's always been, it's pretty much random if two people knife at similar times.

The AK47u is easily the best gun in the game, good damage, fast speed and zero recoil.

iNvid02

recklessmind said:

if you need an intervention fix go back to mw2

Diablohead said:
Lack of knife lock on strengh makes me miss so much more then before, so I don't do it.
Yeah, I've been trying to aim and shoot instead of knife, but a lot of the time even when it seems like I've got a shot or two off, the enemy just kind of warps through the bullets and doesn't die. Kind of sucks. I wish that they worked on the melee system a bit. It does kind of suck right now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
recklessmind said:

I am sure you will feel right at home.

paskowitz

First impressions are meh. First of all the graphics are really showing their age. IMO MW2 was crisper. I am halfway through the SP campaign and it to is underwhelming. Then on the MP side... all of the starting weapons suck... there is a lot of lag... and the spawning system sucks... otherwise this game is a lot of fun.

paskowitz said:
First impressions are meh. First of all the graphics are really showing their age. IMO MW2 was crisper. I am halfway through the SP campaign and it to is underwhelming. Then on the MP side... all of the starting weapons suck... there is a lot of lag... and the spawning system sucks... otherwise this game is a lot of fun.

Treyarch used the WaW engine, but it's been heavily modified. However yes, the graphics to me have a noticeable dip in quality from MW2.

JimmyBoy

Dark FaZe said:
Anyone else encountering this? Party breaking is really killing the game for my friends.

I had 3 guys we were playing with Ragequit and go play Halo because the party system is so goddamn broken. All three of them got the game at midnight.

Same specs I7 860 / Radeon 5850 and very little lag for me, depending on server though as i got into a Wager Match that was terrible earlier.

DangerStepp

recklessmind said:

Is it bad? Why aren't there review links or scores in the OP? I was curious to see how this one stacks up to MW2.

iNvidious01 said:
TERMINAL COMMANDS
here ya go nubs

ZORK - text based adventure game
DOA - unlock arcade mini game of zombies, really fun
3ARC UNLOCK - play zombies as presidents and castro defending the pentagon - HILARIOUS
Ah so that's how you unlock the pentagon zombie map then? me and a cousin were trying to find out how to get it last night.

VaLiancY

I'm loving this game so far. A lot of really good maps. Nuketown is my favorite but when someone gets a fucking chopper gunner or gunship, it's a horrible.

nib95

Banned
Just to clarify, the PS3 version has frame rate woes in MP that the 360 version doesn't? I ask because I have a sealed PS3 version that I'm tempted to return and then head to my local store to pick up a 360 version instead.

What do you guys think?

Mully

So a little update on my delivery situation. UPS just stopped by my house, to deliver my Zappo's order and my Pop's building plans. When I asked if there was anything else, the delivery man said no and went his way. I logged back on my laptop to see it is still "In Transit."

The whole situation is looking pretty sketchy right now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
DangerStepp said:
Is it bad? Why aren't there review links or scores in the OP? I was curious to see how this one stacks up to MW2.

I'm just now dl'ing the patch... haven't actually played yet.

nib95 said:
Just to clarify, the PS3 version has frame rate woes in MP that the 360 version doesn't? I ask because I have a sealed PS3 version that I'm tempted to return and then head to my local store to pick up a 360 version instead.

What do you guys think?
I played the 360 version for about 2 hours last night (MP only so far) and had zero frame rate issues. Not sure about the PS3, but my 360 experience was flawless performance-wise.

GodofWine

nib95 said:

What do you guys think?

Played all modes I could, including ground war...no issues at all, me and a friend were nothing short of impressed with its stability too, had on connection issue in 3-4 hours of play.

PS3 version is solid.

nib95 said:

What do you guys think?
360 has online frame drops also but not as often, but it's there and it is semi-often.

It put me into a lobby yesterday where ever other player had four bars on connection and I had only one small orange bar :lol . I tried to be a good sport but quit the game when I was like 3-12. It was like I was a full two or three seconds behind everybody.

Lince said:

I want to know this stuff before the games get out. And why the hell are there reviews AFTER the game gets out.

Treyarch is doing the best they can, i'm sure. It's just not good enough. I allready bought it, so they have my money. They won't feel it when i never play it again. And that sucks. Cause i want my money back.

It's not all bad though. Framerate in the single player is good enough to enjoy ad they did make some improvements in taking away some of the online frustrations. to bad it looks and runs like ass online.

GodofWine said:
Played all modes I could, including ground war...no issues at all, me and a friend were nothing short of impressed with its stability too, had on connection issue in 3-4 hours of play.

PS3 version is solid
no it is not.

NHale

nib95 said:

What do you guys think?

I believe Diablohead said yesterday that he had frame rate drops with the 360 version.

iNvid02

Anerythristic said:
It put me into a lobby yesterday where ever other player had four bars on connection and I had only one small orange bar :lol . I tried to be a good sport but quit the game when I was like 3-12. It was like I was a full two or three seconds behind everybody.

i always get 3bars and everyone else has 4, and it does make a difference.
i got host today, never left that lobby and did so much better

buy teh haloz said:
OP has been banned, so he can't add any reviews.

Oh woah? Why, he was always a good poster, is it just temporary?

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, I was having the same problem last night. I would run up to someone and knife them only to see myself die and them get the knife kill. I'm hoping that this can be attributed to the heavy load that XBL was taking last night from the 3 mill people playing.

This happens to me a lot, but to be fair it also happens a lot on other games, my connection sucks. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
goddamnit I tried again, I tried to play some mp and jumped into a game of TDM on the summit-level... Every 4 seconds or so the fps goes from 60 to 0 and repeat ad naseam...

flippeh

I didn't think I would, but I kind of miss lobbies/parties on the PC. Trying to get all of your friends on the same team each map is... bleh.

NHale said:
I believe Diablohead said yesterday that he had frame rate drops with the 360 version.

In comparison to the PS3 version, it's not nearly as bad, if you have the option to play this one the 360. Do it. I noticed framerate drops in bots only combat training combat training so this problem isn't tied to the state of my connection/lag.

NHale

Digital Foundry said:
On PlayStation 3 though, the second player is represented as a sub-player of the main PSN login, so you'd have "DigitalFoundryUK" and "DigitalFoundryUK(1)" as opposed to individual handles. There's nothing Treyarch can do here, as it's the way things are set up on the PS3.

Someone needs to do research before writing an article...

For some positivity:

I'm playing on the 360 and am pretty impressed with the day one launch. I had no problem getting into about 15 matches and only had one host migration. Compared to every other AAA shooter on the system, that's pretty impressive.

paskowitz said:

Uhhhh, no on the bold. The M16, and MP5K wreck house on almost every map as does the first LMG.

EDIT: The pistols are great as well.

Taborcarn said:
Any word on a fix for the care package glitch? Saw it in action a few times last night.

What exactly does the care package glitch do? same as MW2? ...haven't seen it in action yet.

Net_Wrecker said:
Uhhhh, no on the bold. The M16, and MP5K wreck house on almost every map as does the starting LMG.

I definitely agree.

Is there no way at all to mute other players? I didn't feel like putting on my headset so I went into a private Xbox Live Party, thinking that it would keep me from hearing people talking, but it didn't! What gives?

Finally got to play this game (mp only)-

This is b grade. Through and through. From netcode, to maps, to style, to performance, controls (which to be fair has a lot to do with the framerate jumping around), wonky bugged sound, to substance and dynamics. Hell, the game soft-crashed on me twice. It's not even worth complaining about the small stuff like no sound indicator when you flash someone.

They didn't even bother to fix the real issues with mw2...like impossibility of keeping together with your group in matchmaking. Yes, I'm glad they toned down the nade spamming finally, but that doesn't make this game any good.

Here's hoping respawn can come out with something worth my time someday.

VaLiancY

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
What exactly does the care package glitch do? same as MW2? ...haven't seen it in action yet.

Hardline Pro lets reroll on any package instead of a care package. IE, sentry, care package, Valkyrie rockets.

So does anyone notice suppressors add some recoil or is it just me?

Loving the game so far.

Weird playing it on two different systems though.

Played it all night on the PS3 then switched to 360 once it came in from amazon.

360 = waiting and waiting and waiting to get a game
PS3 = play right away no waits.

so far

PS3 > 360

for this game.

Phaethon0017 said:
Is there no way at all to mute other players? I didn't feel like putting on my headset so I went into a private Xbox Live Party, thinking that it would keep me from hearing people talking, but it didn't! What gives?

Set your xbox live privacy settings to friends only. This will automute everyone not on your friends list.

VaLiancY said:
Hardline Pro lets reroll on any package instead of a care package. IE, sentry, care package, Valkyrie rockets.

So does anyone notice suppressors add some recoil or is it just me?

Is the reroll a glitch or is there an actual button to hit to cancel that care package and let you take a chance at getting something better?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Always-honest said:
I want to know this stuff before the games get out. And why the hell are there reviews AFTER the game gets out.

Treyarch is doing the best they can, i'm sure. It's just not good enough. I allready bought it, so they have my money. They won't feel it when i never play it again. And that sucks. Cause i want my money back.

It's not all bad though. Framerate in the single player is good enough to enjoy ad they did make some improvements in taking away some of the online frustrations. to bad it looks and runs like ass online.

no it is not.
I'm not surprised the PS3 version is sub-par. The fact of the matter is, they also have screwed up the PC version. While I'm sure it can be patched, there is no excuse for the piss poor framerates some people are seeing on the PC. It's sloppy coding.

The PS3 port of Black Ops seems quite a bit worse than the MW2 port was last year. Bad framerates, very low resolution, and loss of detail in some areas are a real disappointment.

Of course, next to the Wii version, all versions look fantastic. :D

Raiden

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Loving the game so far.

Weird playing it on two different systems though.

Played it all night on the PS3 then switched to 360 once it came in from amazon.

360 = waiting and waiting and waiting to get a game
PS3 = play right away no waits.

so far

PS3 > 360

for this game.

Why would you play the same game on two consoles? Also, i had zero wait on Xbox 360

your argument>trashcan

Top Bottom