• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
4) Find a spot to camp in, get a few kills until someone comes up behind you and knifes you.

do this but move after the second kill. By then they're probably spawning close to you and at least 2 of them know where you are.

Also, use your team as a shield. Let them run round the corners :lol if they die just back and #4 it

Mileena

Banned
Belfast said:
5) Swear you "shot that guy," watch the killcam show you differently, pitch a fit.

This one arguably occurs more than the other four combined.
Very true, but this happened just as much in MW2 so it's just a problem with shitty P2P.

Mik2121

Anerythristic said:
I can't believe they aren't bored of it yet. How many fan made maps does it have?
TONS. But if you check most of the servers around, they all are playing on de_dust2 :lol :lol

Sam Worthington and Ed harris in my call of Duty... Nerdgasm.

Wow Top notch cast.

I bet I'd get a lot of hate for asking this but: Christian Bale in Black Ops 2... Do it :p.

I love the setting. it's freakin awesome.

The SP has a lot of love from me.
Though it's got Add problems sometimes.

The Bookerman said:

Wow Top notch cast.

I bet I'd get a lot of hate for asking this but: Christian Bale in Black Ops 2... Do it :p.

Except Sam Worthington is fucking atricious in this.

Stantron

Thank you Treyarch for puting commas in your stat page numbers.
854,278,902 is so much easier to read than 854278902.
/itsthesmallthings

Aagh, the lag is so frustrating!! The majority of my deaths seem to be from bullshit lag advantage (360 BTW). Significant kill cam disparities EVERY TIME. :mad:

Knifing needs tweaking especially now that it takes more hits to kill. They should make it so that the knife animation is nullified the instant someone receives damage, also a slight delay before they can knife swipe again. No more superhuman lunging through a stream of oncoming shots. Knifing hitboxes seem to be off too. Sadly I doubt this is something Treyarch thinks is a problem that needs to be fixed.

AcciDante

Just finished the campaign. Didn't really like it :/ I always love all the 'oh shit!' moments from the past games, especially the MW's, but I felt like all those moments in this one were done in MW1/2 and done better in those. Wasn't a fan of the story either. The only moment that I'll probably remember is
jumping off the mountain and pulling your shoot.

Loving the MP so far, though!

th3dude

backflip10019 said:
The count was definitely up to around 2.83m last night. Saw it with my own eyes. Well, at least that's what Treyarch's counter said. That could be wrong just like the leaderboards. Who knows?
Mine says a little over 3 million right now.

I've played hours upon hours of the MP so far and I haven't had ANY lag save for maybe a total of 10 seconds of it. Though the round ending killcam can get REALLY choppy.

betweenthewheels said:
To be fair, his entire career has been consistently terrible.

People gotta stop casting him as an American, until he can do a decent accent.
Meh, I like his roles. Even in this. I like his subtle accent when he's portraying an American. And I'm straight.

f0rk

corkscrewblow said:
Very true, but this happened just as much in MW2 so it's just a problem with shitty P2P.

It happens on PCs "dedicated servers" as well :/
At this point I'd actually rather have MW2 p2p, which is fucking depressing.

RS4-

rise888 said:
are there any guides to MP on what the best upgrade/purchases are for someone just starting out?

What kind of guns do you like and what kind of style do you have when it comes to approaching the enemy? Do you like sneaking and flanking? Running head first and don't care what happens?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really hope party play is the first thing they fix, my friend and I have been trying to get into a game for 20 minutes now and it keeps dropping him. Did the same last night with 4 of us.

Spookie

f0rk said:
It happens on PCs "dedicated servers" as well :/
At this point I'd actually rather have MW2 p2p, which is fucking depressing.

Not had any of those so far on mine. Granted we have increased the rates from the console standard 5k to 25k. It has smoothed out gameplay but everyone still gets stutters occasionally. :(

Kyoufu

PC version doesn't even have a party system. Just a join ranked game then invite friends and hope they

a) get into the game without server being full

b) end up on the same team as you

atrocious. Tempted to actually get the console version wtf is wrong with meeeeeeeeeee

DiddyBop

Out out the maybe 10 online matches ive tried so far, ive only completed maybe 4 games, the rest were dropped. only one game was lag free but it dropped midway through the match. ps3 version btw.

Seventy5

The Bookerman said:

Wow Top notch cast.

Also, motherfucking Ice Cube!

Keikaku

I bought this game for the PC last night, finished the single player and had a blast.

The multiplayer is, however, nearly unplayable. I can get Modern Warfare 2 (heck, I can get Crysis) to run just fine on my computer. This game lags all the damn time. I've got textures set to low and I'm running at 1280x1024 and it's still terrible online. I don't usually purchase stinkers but I do almost feel cheated having bought this game. How the heck does this run way worse than Modern Warfare 2?

Don't get me wrong, I like the general slower pace of the online, but I can't really play it as well as I should be able to due to the horrible lag. $65 down the drain unless Treyarch fixes it.

Chrange

Banned
Man, I don't normally rage during single player, but 'Push back the NVA' on veteran is fucking IDIOTIC.

Totally unclear mission objectives that you don't bother to give the player, plus an endless horde of sharpshooting enemies that ignore your allies (and vice versa) and shitty fucking checkpoints that won't work if those endless enemies happen to be nearby.

FUCK YOU. That's to both the designer stupid enough to think this is challenging, not cheap, and the gameplay testers who didn't have the balls to throw a controller at the guy's head and quit.

CoD games have always been a TAD on the cheap side when on veteran, but livable. This is just idiotic though. I'm getting headshot by guys three-quarters of the way down the hillside, just dots on my 65" screen, because I moved a pixel out of cover...but you want me to rush down the hill into the next cover? How the fuck am I supposed to do that? I know, I'll kill them all...wait, you can't kill all of an endless horde.

The last 15 minutes of restarting (and hearing the same shit over and over) has really soured me on the Black Ops veteran experience.

Chrange said:
The last 15 minutes of restarting (and hearing the same shit over and over) has really soured me on the Black Ops veteran experience.
Believe me, that scenario was just as stupid on Hardened.

Too often, the game wants you to run out of cover right into the middle of enemy fields of fire, ya know, for tension.

I might actually be up for that if I was as indestructible as the NPCs I'm supposed to be following. There is one airfield where I was asked to run through enemy fire - thinking hell no - I'm going to chill here behind cover, take out a few guys and make an opportunity before I go rushing out. Moments later I died from a random explosion (not a grenade). There follows the black screen with the words "You failed to stay with your team".

Just because our health regenerates doesn't mean you should throw us into Halo-like encounters that rely upon getting shot to proceed. Its lazy design and destroys any sense of player choice or immersion.

T'Zariah

Banned
Chrange said:
Man, I don't normally rage during single player, but 'Push back the NVA' on veteran is fucking IDIOTIC.

Totally unclear mission objectives that you don't bother to give the player, plus an endless horde of sharpshooting enemies that ignore your allies (and vice versa) and shitty fucking checkpoints that won't work if those endless enemies happen to be nearby.

FUCK YOU. That's to both the designer stupid enough to think this is challenging, not cheap, and the gameplay testers who didn't have the balls to throw a controller at the guy's head and quit.

CoD games have always been a TAD on the cheap side when on veteran, but livable. This is just idiotic though. I'm getting headshot by guys three-quarters of the way down the hillside, just dots on my 65" screen, because I moved a pixel out of cover...but you want me to rush down the hill into the next cover? How the fuck am I supposed to do that? I know, I'll kill them all...wait, you can't kill all of an endless horde.

World at War is worse. Just saying

Keikaku

NightBlade88 said:

World at War is worse but that has nothing to do with how unfair Black Ops might be. Just because the game might be a bit less retarded at higher difficulties doesn't mean it's not still retarded.

Magik

rise888 said:
are there any guides to MP on what the best upgrade/purchases are for someone just starting out?

I'd say go for the Ninja route.

- Suppressor for your weapon to not show up on the map
- Ghost to block UAV
- Either SAM Turret to shot down enemy UAVs or Counter UAV to block the enemy's radar
- Claymores to protect your rear in case you decide to hold down a spot or camp

The idea is to keep a low-profile while learning the mechanics of the game to the point where you feel comfortable to really start experimenting with the upgrades.

Chrange

Banned
NightBlade88 said:

I finished that on Veteran and had nothing like this. I mean even the stupid 'I'm standing 100 feet back from battle and there's three grenades at my feet' from WaW is livable simply by moving. I clear the near ground, throw some grenades to try and spook the guys farther down and then sprint toward the nearest cover and get cut down from four different spots at once...that's just stupid.

This feels like it's 100% down to getting lucky enough to get through enough for a checkpoint, then maybe getting far enough for another.

Chrange said:

Everything you just said could have been avoided a) if Treyarch didn't make the checkpoints so terrible; and b) if they simply made it more clear what you are supposed to do there. Seriously just say
MASON GO KNIFE THOSE BARRELS!!
. Saying 'Push back the NWA' just makes it seem that you are supposed to kill them forever. I don't even want to spoiler tag what I wrote since I feel like everyone should know what to do before wasting hours at that part.

bloodforge said:
I like that you can just buy the weapon attachments you want now, but they should still just give the gun to you when you unlock it.
That would make CoD points more inconsequential than they already are..

regs

Stantron said:
Thank you Treyarch for puting commas in your stat page numbers.
854,278,902 is so much easier to read than 854278902.
/itsthesmallthings.

is there an actual stat page or is it only available while playing?

Weenerz

Banned
Kyoufu said:
PC version doesn't even have a party system. Just a join ranked game then invite friends and hope they

a) get into the game without server being full

b) end up on the same team as you

atrocious. Tempted to actually get the console version wtf is wrong with meeeeeeeeeee

PC shooters have been like that for years, the "party" system was introduced in MW2 to be more console like and it did not last long.

X26

Banned
liking custom icons, but I wish they let you save them so you can have a couple custom ones to switch between

my current creation:
img17141.jpg

Veritas_

I express my concern with PC numbers based on my own experiences over the last 3 months or so with WaW and MW2. On WaW I can only find 12-15 playable servers with pings under 100. Of those, a few are XP ranking or redirects to empty servers. I found 1 decent server last I played. MW2 is nearly unplayable at the moment. Game searches drop me in 120ms or greater lobbies a good 80% of the time. If I get made host, everyone else lags and rage quit. (One guy accused me of using some lag cheat.)

I have no problem finding/joining/playing Team Fortress 2, or any other multiplayer game. CoD4 certainly has a strong community, no argument there. League of Legends doesn't have any problems finding low latency matches (p2p), so I don't suspect my connection is at fault.

Maybe it is something on my end, and this is all anecdotal - at any rate I'll leave it at that. And I never made any comment about the quality of the game or 'showing Treyarch' by buying the game again. I've been on vacation for the last week, so I haven't had a chance to touch BlOps yet.

Not trying to crap up the thread, just want to explain myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really concerned about the PC version. None of the supposed fixes improve my framerate. No r_glowwhatever, no setting priority, no changing sound, no forcing GPU AA.

I mean, singleplayer works fine...no abnormal stuttering, just low framerate. I'm only managing about 40fps average with:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

I'm seriously afraid that this might just be really poor use of the engine. I'm not convinced the low framerate is a bug. CoD is just not worth playing below 60fps...sorry. Might as well head back to MW/MW2, or play a Bad Company 2 (which performs similarly, yet on a much larger scale).

Chrange

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Everything you just said could have been avoided a) if Treyarch didn't make the checkpoints so terrible; and b) if they simply made it more clear what you are supposed to do there. Seriously just say
MASON GO KNIFE THOSE BARRELS!!
. Saying 'Push back the NWA' just makes it seem that you are supposed to kill them forever. I don't even want to spoiler tag what I wrote since I feel like everyone should know what to do before wasting hours at that part.

That would make CoD points more inconsequential than they already are..

Even when you know, it's ridiculously hard to clear the area enough to actually do it without getting killed. Why doesn't the 'ammo bunker' include a smoke grenade or two? Or any grenades at all?

Keikaku

Veritas_ said:
I express my concern with PC numbers based on my own experiences over the last 3 months or so with WaW and MW2. On WaW I can only find 12-15 playable servers with pings under 100. Of those, a few are XP ranking or redirects to empty servers. I found 1 decent server last I played. MW2 is nearly unplayable at the moment. Game searches drop me in 120ms or greater lobbies a good 80% of the time. If I get made host, everyone else lags and rage quit. (One guy accused me of using some lag cheat.)

I have no problem finding/joining/playing Team Fortress 2, or any other multiplayer game. CoD4 certainly has a strong community, no argument there. League of Legends doesn't have any problems finding low latency matches (p2p), so I don't suspect my connection is at fault.

Maybe it is something on my end, and this is all anecdotal - at any rate I'll leave it at that. And I never made any comment about the quality of the game or 'showing Treyarch' by buying the game again. I've been on vacation for the last week, so I haven't had a chance to touch BlOps yet.

Not trying to crap up the thread, just want to explain myself.

Well written statement, but I'll have to disagree on MW2. I play MW2 on PC and I never have a problem getting games. I do play after 6-7PM PST though, so I don't know if that makes a difference. There are usually 5000+ players on the playlists whenever I'm on.

Can't speak for WaW.

Top Bottom