• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Well maybe we can all at least agree that Black Ops AI is hovering somewhere around the Resistance 2 level of smarts and utility.

Especially their suicidal and single-minded focus on YOU regardless of whether they're across the map, or have more pressing targets closer to them.

steam is really dissapointing me. Servers are still too busy for me to install. Its been more than 24 hours of trying.

HAve tried everything, chaging servers, re-installing, clientblob etc....

no response from steam support either.

TheExodu5

Banned
Keikaku said:
Source or are you just going on feel?

Feel.

I think Half-Life's AI is brilliant, but I also think it's mostly waypoint based. This is obviously possible since Half-Life's levels are fairly linear, and non dynamic.

mikeGFG

Banned
I fucking hate single player, and I hate obtuse auto mission failure parameters.

"You gave away our position, Mason!" GAME OVER.
Reload checkpoint. Sneak past enemies. Literally ten seconds later: Trigger a scripted event alerting the base anyway. fdsfsdfsdfdasfsdfafsdfsdfsdfsd

Is anyone else having problems where maps wont load? It just hangs on the loading screen and I have to dashboard.

I can load up all the maps fine, but this problem happens to me ALL the time, so im convinced its something on my end. :S

If anyone else has experienced this I would be greatful if you posted, if not im gonna try and get a replacement disk.

Smokey

NullPointer said:
And now it looks like the Assassin's Creed comparisons are warranted :lol

Don't spoil it for me, I'm still working my way through it.

Honestly I wouldn't even know what to spoil:lol I'm legit confused!

Mike G.E.D. said:
I fucking hate single player, and I hate obtuse auto mission failure parameters.

"You gave away our position, Mason!" GAME OVER.
Reload checkpoint. Sneak past enemies. Literally ten seconds later: Trigger a scripted event alerting the base anyway. fdsfsdfsdfdasfsdfafsdfsdfsdfsd
early mission spoiler:
"You didn't stop the missile launch in time!" GAME OVER.
Reload checkpoint. Get to the control panel in time. Literally ten seconds later: Trigger a scripted sequence where the missile launches anyway. fdsfsdfsdfdasfsdfafsdfsdfsdfsd

Pookaki said:
dfgig6.jpg

In the middle of a mission, and this pops up. Hitting A returned me to the title screen.

TOO MANY BONES:lol :lol :lol :lol

):
This is crazy, I can't even remember the last time a console title shipped with a PC-style fatal bug like that. I mean, just, wow.

Stantron

Dmorr07 said:
Definantly a cool addition. They said you get to keep em when you prestige right, so does that mean whatever we buy layer/emblem wise will always be there? Here's mine:
http://i54.tinypic.com/34rh9np.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'd like to know if you can keep all your emblem layers when going prestige as well.

Erebus

X26 said:
looks fine to me as well

also if nothing else, effects look a little better than in mw2 atleast, especially smoke
Smoke looks good I'll give you that but everything else looks inferior to MW2 IMO.

codblackops5pb6y.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
knitoe said:
My quest for a sentry gun failed again after 5 hours. FU ghost pro.

I just lucked into that one, didn't even know one was up and came around the corner, knifed it and celebrated, now to knock down 10 more killstreaks. If only the SAM turret killing planes counted.

Wow I'm amazed at the backlash this game is getting. PS3/360 comparison aside it's an amazing game. Graphically I'd say it's on par with mw2. There are some sacrifices such as a few shitty gun models and low res textures in some seemingly low-key places. Overall I'd say it looks pretty sexy.

The multiplayer is awesome. The changes are all for the better, the guns feel solid and accurate and they sound great too. There are a few noticeable exceptions but I'm really liking the guns so far. The fact that you have to buy and customize each of them makes them somewhat more important now too. Instead of just choosing a gun for each class you now have to think a bit more and decide if you want an smg/ar/sniper etc and then decide if you want semi auto / full auto etc. It's a really cool change that works solely because of the currency system which also seems incredibly fine tuned.

Lag seems fine on 360'so far. Plenty of annoying instances but never anything game breaking or destroying the flow of the game. Also the fact that 90% of the bullshit is gone makes the whole experience far better.

However I'm finding the single player an absolute bore. This is my first Cod single player playthrough and it's awful. It's a glorified shooting gallery. Enemies pop from windows and doors and furniture. Surprise attacks when walking down hallways. Stupid deaths from infinite enemies because you're not 100% sure what to do. All this combined with the shitty checkpoint system and Ludicrous amounts of scripted events and cutscenes make the campaign a total chore. Don't get me wrong - as far as campaigns go it's got some epic moments and a good story but I don't think cod single player was meant for me - particularly due to just coming off reach's brilliant single player.

Damn, I should have put subtitles on, for some reason the dialog was really down low in the sound mix and I couldn't hear half of it. I'm not sure that's entirely the reason that the story made next to no sense though :lol

My hands ache alittle and my eyes hurt! probably time to out it down for the night :lol

Friendly RCXD is burned into my soul fuck that saying is getting old fast..

ZZMitch

Beat the campaign, it was pretty great. Although I felt the ending was pretty lame compared to how much I liked the middle portions.

getting up to the point where veteran seems silly...
Great campaign though.. but veteran is not... fair.

ZZMitch said:
Beat the campaign, it was pretty great. Although I felt the ending was pretty lame compared to how much I liked the middle portions.

at what difficulty

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, has anyone noticed a way on the PS3 version to just turn off all mic output? I don't want to individually mute every screaming kid and don't have a mic of my own.

luiztfc

So... anyone else feeling a slight, but annoying, input lag? There's none when I play MW2 but I'm can barely play this. Also, even if I have a good latency I'm getting lag (and while waiting to respawn and watching other players, I'm getting lag).

luiztfc said:
So... anyone else feeling a slight, but annoying, input lag. There's none when I play MW2 but I'm can barely play this. Also, even if I have a good latency I'm getting lag (and while waiting to respawn and watching other players, I'm getting lag).
online i feel like i have to press realy hard and almost squeeze my controller to death

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
luiztfc said:
So... anyone else feeling a slight, but annoying, input lag? There's none when I play MW2 but I'm can barely play this. Also, even if I have a good latency I'm getting lag (and while waiting to respawn and watching other players, I'm getting lag).

COD online is usually laggy for a few days after release. Its shocking that they still haven't fixed it. COD4 was awful on PS3 for a few weeks after launch.

MMaRsu

Chris1964 said:
The reason you must sorry is that you post crap.

Just because the numbers come from a bad source doesn't mean it can't be true. Aren't there about 3.5 million people online right now on 360?

Honestly, I think Black Ops looks just as good as MW2. The graphics look great to me.

I think Black Ops has that retro, or vintage war art style that Treyarch used which has more browns, unsaturated colors, etc. to make it feel like a game that takes place in the past. Modern Warfare 2 used brighter colors.

I think it's just the appearance of looking worse than MW2 for Black Ops. But I think graphically, it's on par with MW2 and better than W@W.

knitoe

luiztfc said:
Don't know if I am lagging or not, but too often, I jump a guy, gets a few shoots off and the dude turns around and kills me. It wasn't this bad in MW2. And, I am often the host in MW2 so my connection should be pretty good.

HixxSAFC said:
Multiplayer just shits all over MW2s from a great height. The lack of Killstreak 'stacking' is glorious.
I also like the maps in Black Ops much better than MW2s. Much MUCH better!

Other than Nuke Town, I just don't have anything bad to say about the maps. With MW2, there are so many maps that I just leave the lobby because I hate them. In Black Ops, I don't do that. It's awesome and fun!

I wish there were more of them. Can't wait for the DLCs!

CoD4 had good maps. I think Black Ops is even better than those.

knitoe

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Honestly, I think Black Ops looks just as good as MW2. The graphics look great to me.

I think Black Ops has that retro, or vintage war art style that Treyarch used which has more browns, unsaturated colors, etc. to make it feel like a game that takes place in the past. Modern Warfare 2 used brighter colors.

I think it's just the appearance of looking worse than MW2 for Black Ops. But I think graphically, it's on par with MW2 and better than W@W.
Wierd. I played Black Ops and MW2 back to back yesterday. To me MW2 looks and sound better. MW2 looks more realistic. Black Ops has brighter colors which makes it more of a cartoony look. Guess, we are playing different games. :D

And, yeah, MP is better. Much less BS moments.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Wonder why the subtitles are somewhat half censored. It will be censoring the F word one minute, and not the next.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I also like the maps in Black Ops much better than MW2s. Much MUCH better!

Much better! CoD4 had good maps. I think Black Ops is even better than those.

I don't.

Then again I thought CoD4 had the weakest maps in the series too.

knitoe said:
Wierd. I played Black Ops and MW2 back to back yesterday. To me MW2 looks and sound better. MW2 has more realistic look. Black Ops has brighter colors which makes it more of a cartoony look. Guess, we are playing different games. :D

And, yeah, MP is better. Much less BS moments.
I will say the guns in Black Ops sounded weird to me at first. But I think that's how they sound in real life.

And I don't think Black Ops is necessarily more cartoony. Just a different art style, like how World at War looked more grittier and dark because of the WWII setting.

Got it on PS3 today. So far I've played a few multiplayer matches and only one was really laggy. Game froze a few times but never locked up entirely. Liking the multiplayer more than MW2 a great deal! The guns also seem like they have more impact than in MW2.

Rich!

I think Black Ops looks great. But then again, I am playing it maxed out at 1080p. I've had a few mates bring up negative comments about their respective PS3/360 versions though.

Why For?

Banned
Bit disappointed in the MP.

- Still rampant camping. They REALLY need to learn to design maps that don't encourage campers. Or they should let the player take more damage before dying, ehicvh would help also

- Hit detection is pretty fucking shit. It was never this bad in MW2 or CoD4

- Playing on the same maps even more than in Reach, and Reach has LESS maps.

Single Player seemed ok from what I played of it.

Dead Ops is fucking awesome. Best part of the package so far.

I just want to say that for the last 2 hours I have had host in domination each game and it is GLORIOUS! I was knifing people before they saw me and killing like hell, if I ever ran into someone at a corner they were dead and not me for once :D

So host advantage is there, no where near as big as gears of war but it's there, I feel sorry for the person who sent me a hate message after owning them lol

Why For? said:
- Still rampant camping. They REALLY need to learn to design maps that don't encourage campers. Or they should let the player take more damage before dying, ehicvh would help also

I think if you shoved 18 players in a box room you'd still get campers.

Dina

Just played a few more games, and something I did made playing on the PC more bearable.

Start CoD.
Alt-tab
Ctrl-alt-del
Set Steam to use low resources/priority
Set BO to use high resources/priority

You need to redo this every time you reboot. Also, there is talk of this config doing wonders for your fps, but I haven't tried it (yet)(because I'm going to bed): http://pastebin.com/at8sNzkK

Top Bottom