• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

ACE 1991

Why For? said:
Bit disappointed in the MP.

- Still rampant camping. They REALLY need to learn to design maps that don't encourage campers. Or they should let the player take more damage before dying, ehicvh would help also

- Hit detection is pretty fucking shit. It was never this bad in MW2 or CoD4

- Playing on the same maps even more than in Reach, and Reach has LESS maps.

Single Player seemed ok from what I played of it.

Dead Ops is fucking awesome. Best part of the package so far.

How so?

Why For? said:
Bit disappointed in the MP.

- Still rampant camping. They REALLY need to learn to design maps that don't encourage campers. Or they should let the player take more damage before dying, ehicvh would help also

A guy sitting back camping might actually just be a smarter player supporting his team or holding map position...

I rarely see true camping (shotgun prone behind an obscure corner of the map) and there's usually an easy counter to it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The Bookerman said:
I hated MW2's Washington DC invasion missions.... GOd... They were definetly the worst in the series.

DC was worth it for the rooftop green smoke moment alone.

ACE 1991 said:
I thought the hit detection was off at first, but then I realized that I wasn't aiming higher! :lol

Now it doesn't feel as bad. I just had to adjust my aiming a bit. I tend to aim low for some reason. It's such a bad habit.

DSN2K

lag, bugs, odd frame rate drops(something ive only just started to notice more)

The more I play this game the less I like it or at least the MP! SP was very good but MP beginning to fall apart more I play it. :\

glaurung

Well, you can say what you like about the MP being crap, but it is now 3:00 AM and I just finished a mammoth domination session.

Sure, there's camping and crap matchmaking, but in the end it is still one awesome game. SP on veteran is of course complete balls, enemies still one-shooting you through a crack one pixel wide.

nib95

Banned
Got the 360 version and been playing it for a few hours. SP, weak start, but very quickly turned in to something rather extravagant, dim witted but very fun. Over the top in ever sense, and Sam Worthington (?) does a great job as the VA.

MP, so far I love it. Feels less bloated than MW2's. Out with some of the riff raff and a little bit more back to basics. Prefer the purchase system as well.

My only main negative is that in single player the hit detection and reactive animations are very weak. Blood often just doesn't splatter nearly enough to either make the kill satisfying or informing you, you are actually shooting an enemy and/or doing serious damage.

Oddly, other times the blood is randomly really pronounced. No idea why there's so much of a difference between levels of blood splatter and hit reaction in the game.

nbraun80

Is there a method or math equation as to how I have like 40,000 kills? That can in no way be accurate, even if I magically managed 75 kills a match I'd still need to play like 533 matches... Anyone know...

MirageDwarf said:
You can always count on Ars to blow the lid off that stuff. Good on them. I wish reviewers that went to these events would detail the circumstances of the event and the gifts they got, it would be a lot more honest.

I mean, look at this place they put the reviewers up at for three days:

countryclub.jpg

MirageDwarf said:

What a joke. Sites should not be able to slap a score on all 3 versions when they only played one, and they should also have to document the circumstances they played under. Reviewers should be using a standard TV and sound system for both consoles for comparability in terms of graphics and sound, and reviewers should sure as hell not be accepting headsets and fucking flight helmets for reviewing a game.

Only good review of the game so far-

http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-duty-black-ops-186908.phtml

Score: 6

I played MW on hard (one notch up from normal, not two) and was pretty annoyed with it. Not so much because it was hard (or at least, I have played significantly harder games :) ), but more the way it was hard (grenade spam, spawn points, but I am not sure these were the main issues).

I played MW2 on normal and thought it was quite too easy. :/

Do you guys recommend playing Black ops on normal, or hard?

ScrubJay

Had a good time in 3 hours of MP last night. It's really overwhelming jumping into a new game and having no idea where stuff is on the maps. As a result I played really aggressive with SMG's and dying a lot but I did end up getting back to back helicopters on the last game of the night. After months of trying to get the game winning killcam with one in MW2 I do the same thing first time I got one in this game, it figures.

I can't hear footsteps at all, this really messes with my groove, but it goes both ways.

Probably my favorite moments so far are trying to go prone on a roof to snipe in gun game and dolphin diving to a horribly embarrassing death, and falling into a wood chipper and getting 250 XP for my trouble.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The SP is disappointing me. A lot of amateur mistakes, and tons of scripting errors. And the music sucks.

natedog4000 said:
Is there a method or math equation as to how I have like 40,000 kills? That can in no way be accurate, even if I magically managed 75 kills a match I'd still need to play like 533 matches... Anyone know...

Stats ae bugged

njean777

Stackboy said:
Huh, good to see a few sources talking about this.

not surprised at all really, i would have not taken the free stuff and totally destroyed this game on how only the xbox 360 version is the only "good" version.

RS4-

So the only thing that's really bothering me about MP is the prone nonsense. There should be a bigger delay when you put up sights or at least a big penalty to shooting from the...ground when you drop

ZeroRay

So i played a game on PS3.

The game itself seemed what I expected, which is good but the framerate is terrible online.
First I thought it was lag but I then tried the bot mode, same shit.

Great job Treyarch...

njean777 said:
not surprised at all really, i would have not taken the free stuff and totally destroyed this game on how only the xbox 360 version is the only "good" version.
Problem there is that you would never get to review any activision game ever again in their books, you would be blacklisted. Your website would lose hits and well you would have to buy the game yourself and review it a few days after launch.

This is why I hate game journalism, it's full of shit.

People saying this game is ugly...wut.

Playing on 360 and it looks great, easily up there with the best looking games recently, SP at least.

Only complaint so far is the absolutely retarded AI in SP.

njean777

Diablohead said:
Problem there is that you would never get to review any activision game ever again in their books, you would be blacklisted. Your website would lose hits and well you would have to buy the game yourself and review it a few days after launch.

This is why I hate game journalism, it's full of shit.

true but i would have the satisfaction in knowing that I didnt lie about how crappy this game is, I wasted 80$ just like the xbox people did and it doesnt even run well. All pc players and ps3 players should be pissed. If MW2 ran perfectly fine on all platforms this game has no excuse for this shit.

Why For?

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
what the fuck :lol :lol

What?

I mean, instead of dying in say 1 burst shot (let's say 4 bullets), die in 2 or 3 bursts. I just think you die too quick, which just encourages the camping.

I play Halo a LOT more than CoD, and always have, and there's FAR less camping that goes on in Halo.

Even in Halo, when it DOES happen it usually happens on bigger maps where snipping is encouraged.

Other than that, it happens in SWAT mode, which like CoD you die FAR quicker in since there's no shield.

It also happens on Sword base because of the way the map has been designed, so that just reinforces my point

TheStringTheory said:
Who at Treyarch thought it would be a good move to remove the EXP bar from muitplayer. What a joke.
You still level up, what's the problem?

Why For? said:
I mean, instead of dying in say 1 burst shot (let's say 4 bullets), die in 2 or 3 bursts. I just think you die too quick, which just encourages the camping.
LOL. Don't play One in the Chamber or Hardcore or MW2...

nbraun80

I don't mind the credit system, but I'm not a fan of just buying titles. It was better when you got them for completing challenges because it was exciting to see what you unlocked. If they wanted to use the credit system for them, they should have just let you unlock them by completing challenges or if you choose you can buy them for a certain price...

Tamanon

Banned
TheStringTheory said:
So fucking what. There was no reason at all for them to take it out. It's a step backwards.

Your anger at this is pretty funny.

It's just a bit of the HUD that didn't advance much at all once you got to the later levels, only in big chunks when a challenge was done. No biggie.

Weenerz

Banned
TheStringTheory said:
Who at Treyarch thought it would be a good move to remove the EXP bar from muitplayer. What a joke.

I like the minimalist HUD of this game, there was so much going on in the last one.

Y2Kev

It's not just a bit of HUD. XP bars are some of the fundamental hooks of RPGs. How can you do "just one more match..." if you have no idea of where you are in terms of leveling up?

Weenerz

Banned
Y2Kev said:
It's not just a bit of HUD. XP bars are some of the fundamental hooks of RPGs. How can you do "just one more match..." if you have no idea of where you are in terms of leveling up?

At the end of the round, it shows you how much XP you have till next level. It's not like you never see it.

Tokubetsu said:
It was a good movie. You actually like such a busy HUD?

To be fair it didnt take up much space, I kinda liked it. You can see how much exp you need to rank up by pressing start though, while its not the same (who would pause just to check that) its still something.

EXP has taken a backseat to CoDpoints anyway.

Gary Whitta said:
Creedence and the Stones suck now?
oh the individual songs are fine. i just thought their usage in the game was heavy-handed

TheStringTheory said:
So fucking what. There was no reason at all for them to take it out. It's a step backwards.
Because Treyarch wanted to focus the MP on CoD points instead? Spoiler: they took out Nukes, Stopping Power, One Man Army, Spec Ops, etc etc etc too.

Y2Kev

Weenerz said:
At the end of the round, it shows you how much XP you have till next level. It's not like you never see it.
oh, i thought they removed it wholesale. i haven't popped online yet.

meh who cares

Gary Whitta said:
Creedence and the Stones suck now?

it's embarrassingly hamfisted, even for Treyarch. Oh look, vietnam and fortune son. wow thanks, treyarch, i was confused

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Y2Kev said:

Because they game screams it in your face with sirens and nuclear explosions at the end of every match.

HEEEEY HEEEEEY YOU GOT 10 POINTS HEEEEY. YOU THERE. HEEEEEEY. POINTS. YOU GOT THEM. SEEE THE BAR MOOOVEE. HEEEEEEYYY.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Because Treyarch wanted to focus the MP on CoD points instead? Spoiler: they took out Nukes, Stopping Power, One Man Army, Spec Ops, etc etc etc too.

COD points aren't shown either, so you just successfully defeated your own argument.

Game is unplayable on my PC. I usually have the lowest ping and the stuttering is unbearable. Dropping the resolution does not fix the issue and my PC ran MW2 perfectly.

Sitting this out until a patch.

What a fucking disappointment.

Top Bottom