• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

I really like when RCXD rivalries happen; it was fun to chase another car and blow him up.

Oh, my video uploaded. Youtube It was the final gun of sharpshooter and an aiming nightmare but had my heart going (I NEED THE MONEY!)

Fileshare with Youtube is pretty nice when it works. It's nice to be able to share moments you always wished you could. I think it'll come in handy.

Just finished the campaign. This is the first Treyarch developed Call of Duty I've bought and I can definitely say I miss Infinity Ward here. In the graphical department, in the mission design, in the level design, everywhere. The story is definitely "out there" and the ending isn't really at all satisfying. Saw the twist coming for a while too. Honestly liked MW and MW2's campaigns better. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Alienshogun said:
Well there is 3.5 million playing on Live as of an hour ago, I think they get a pass for online issues at this point.

Online issues sure, but when a large percentage of your PC base has an unplayable game, even in single player, on rigs that should be able to max the game out with no problem, I have a lot harder time giving them slack.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut, but I don't think it's any coincidence that the only PC review of the game that was reviewed outside of Activision's terms gave the game a 6. The PC (and from the sounds of it PS3) port was rushed out the door as an afterthought, reviews were embargoed because they knew it was unplayable, and now a lot of us are stuck with a $60 COD powerpoint presentation.

dwebo

Man, I'm so terrible at this game, I dunno why I keep playing multiplayer matches.

Then I throw a random tomahawk, it ricocheting off the floor into the back of somebody's leg, killing them somehow and I'm like, okay, this has its moments. :lol

stuminus3

Pleasantly surprised to find that I have no performance or lag issues on the PC version, after reading all day about how so many people are having problems.

I guess I'll rip on Treyarch about how I couldn't get the lid off the pudding I just ate and got chocolate everywhere. Fucking Treyarch. How hard can it be to make a pudding.

About how much time of a dev cycle is spent optimizing a game? I know they work within certain specs the entire time so that things don't get out of control, and then they buckle down and make it work like it should at some point.

However much time that takes is how long this patch will take.

yoopoo

Banned
WTF at Ninja Pro, it doesn't work! Enemy foot steps produce no sound at all...but then you look at the kill cam and can loudly hear the foot steps.

Useless.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So theater for PC is just completely fucking broken? I haven't had it work once while playing today. If Treyarch just didn't want to have it work on the PC let me know...that way i wouldn't have any expectations.

Gary Whitta said:
So I'm about lvl13 right now, still noobing it up quite a bit... what's a good reliable weapon I should be looking to upgrade to?
For me it was the scorpion. That little gun is cool. I'm finishing in the top 3 now.

knitoe

Gary Whitta said:
So I'm about lvl13 right now, still noobing it up quite a bit... what's a good reliable weapon I should be looking to upgrade to?
Think, I was using the starting M16 until lvl 17 AK47U then lvl 20 Galil.

"Multiplayer. Free with every copy of Call Of Duty - Black Ops"

Taken from the ticker when you are idle in a menu. This means that you have to pay to play in the next CoD AMIRITE? :|

Almost level 33. It seems to be growing on me, I love the customization stuff. Just unlocked face paint a couple levels ago, spent an hour or so on the emblem, found out you can push LB/RB and change the uniform to something else. Doesn't always seem to work though.

Weapons I use the galil for the most part with hardline pro, warlord pro (extended mag and red dot) and ninja. Secondary is usually a missile launcher until the crossbow unlocks at the next level. Sometimes the AK74u with same perks.

cazosozey

So Ive played multiplayer for about 6 hours and my goto setup is:

Mac 10 w/ Silencer
Ballistic Knife (its just too damn fun!)
Flash bangs
frags
claymores (Why the hell not?)

lightweight
slight of hand pro
hacker

spy plane
counter- spy plane (im a team player!)
care package aka barrel of delicious treats

Having alot of fun playing so far, me and my buddies.

AcciDante

Gary Whitta said:

I haven't stopped using the AK74U since I got it. Slap a silencer on it!

I got up to 102k CP in wager matches today :D

Pookaki said:
"Multiplayer. Free with every copy of Call Of Duty - Black Ops"

Taken from the ticker when you are idle in a menu. This means that you have to pay to play in the next CoD AMIRITE? :|
Lol I saw that too and was like of course it free! I bet they make an online multiplayer only COD next.

Rainier

So for being too lazy to go through the whole thread, but is the single player game decent? I don't play online anymore due to a sucky impediment.

I suck

Owzers

jonnybryce said:
Everyone is a ninja in Black Ops.

I think i'm the only one who uses Second Chance Pro :p

I'm a lvl 21 perma-noob who can't aim worth beans or things worth less than beans.....peas.

silenced Galil
rocket launcher secondary to shoot down CHOPPAS
claymores for sneaky kills

Lightweight
Hip Aim thing
Second Chance Pro

God damn sniper rifles are difficult to use in this game. I barely see anyone using them (also there aren't a lot of maps where the size makes them useful).

IceMarker

One in the Chamber is the most rage inducing mode available.

Seriously just lost all 2000 of my CoD points on it. Fuck that mode in the ass.

Mirimar

Does anyone know if the RX killstreak triggers active claymores? I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to be able to put one down in the vicinity if I hear one of these damned things nearby.

eshwaaz

I'm about 3 hours into the campaign, and I think I've had it with the CoD brand of FPS. There have been some satisfying moments to be sure, but the "die until you don't" approach to game design is wearing and tiresome. Dying repeatedly with no understanding of what happened or where it came from is simply not fun. I just keep retrying, not having any idea of what strategy would be better or what I'm doing wrong, until eventually I make it to the next checkpoint out of sheer luck. I frequently feel like I'm being assaulted and punished instead of entertained.

We've experienced exactly these kinds of issues for 4 games now, and neither Infinity Ward nor Treyarch seem willing to address them. The single player design for this series needs a serious rethinking. Set Piece: The Game™ just doesn't cut it anymore.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
sillymonkey321 said:
I think i'm the only one who uses Second Chance Pro :p

I'm a lvl 21 perma-noob who can't aim worth beans or things worth less than beans.....peas.

silenced Galil
rocket launcher secondary to shoot down CHOPPAS
claymores for sneaky kills

Lightweight
Hip Aim thing
Second Chance Pro

Reviving people with second chance pro is a lot of fun.

Alienshogun said:
Well there is 3.5 million playing on Live as of an hour ago, I think they get a pass for online issues at this point.

3.5 out of ~4-5million xbox 360 gamers that bought the game (sold around 7million in first 24 hours with 60% being 360 users) seems a bit high to me.

careful

Any statistical difference between red dot and reflex or is it just for looks?
Might have to wait until ppl figure out the effects on specific guns like for MW2..

nerbo

Singleplayer is laughably bad. Not that Modern Warfare 1 or 2 were great SP games, but they were fun, for what it's worth. The Black Ops Campaign is just damned horrible. The NPC scripting is so predictable and old school.

Notably disturbed at how poor the campaign audio is. The NPC's all yell at you constantly with awful scripted dialog, that, for whatever dumb reason, always plays out of the center channel at full whack, no matter what your position is to the NPC. Makes it so lame. Also, the other NPC characters say the same dumb things over and over and over again - incredibly annoying. I heard NPC's say "FUCK!" about ten times in the first 15 minutes of gameplay, completely at random. It all seems so forced.

And the whole plot/story is just flat out ridiculous and uninteresting. WTF Treyarch! Infinity Ward >>>>>>>>>>> you tools.

I will say the multiplayer is well done and I am enjoying it from that end. I still hate the dogs killstreak, but oh well.

:'( at only 6 people that can play Gun game, put it up to 8 or 9 or 10

:lol at me and my bro just playing and only finding each other in one gun game :/ smh

Seventy5

This may be a stupid question, but if the Combat Training is supposed to be for people who don't go online, why do I have to sign into PSN to play it? It's a blast, don't get me wrong, especially split screen 2 players versus 9 TDM, but why is it online only?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Seventy5 said:
This may be a stupid question, but if the Combat Training is supposed to be for people who don't go online, why do I have to sign into PSN to play it? It's a blast, don't get me wrong, especially split screen 2 players versus 9 TDM, but why is it online only?

its actually for people to learn how to not be overwhelmed online i guess.

nerbo said:
And the whole plot/story is just flat out ridiculous and uninteresting. WTF Treyarch! Infinity Ward >>>>>>>>>>> you tools.

lulz, Black Ops plot is caca-cuckoo nonsense but it's better than MW2 which featured a plot that set storytelling in games back 20 years.

Erasus

snack said:
When's the patch coming out for the PC version?!

JD_2020 said that they are working on it, and several activision staff have said the same (over twitter, witch is taking over official sites for communication :lol )

No ETA given.

I am going back to BFBC2 and TF2 for my shooter fix.

jonnybryce said:
I love them. I hate when they chase me, they're a bit hard to counter or see coming if you're not paying attention but there's nothing like approaching an enemy with one who is trying to shoot you down but fails because you zig zag to them and then explode. It's so much fun. Really cool addition to the game, and the risk you take being vulnerable driving them for so long balances out their power imo.
Yes, I'm a newb with a .64 kill/death ratio and I've stopped the little fuckers a few times. Personally, i dont like them at all, but they arent invincible. Know what you're doing or stop whining.
edit: except on Nuketown....that map is fucking awful for team deathmatch and it's even worse with those cars zig zagging around blowing everyone up.

snack

Erasus said:
JD_2020 said that they are working on it, and several activision staff have said the same (over twitter, witch is taking over official sites for communication :lol )

No ETA given.

I am going back to BFBC2 and TF2 for my shooter fix.
Thanks for the info. :D

Zinga

Banned
Anyone else think the Medal of Honor campaign was better than Black Ops? I honestly can't see why Medal of Honor got panned whilst this gets praised!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Why is matchmaking so busted? A party of 4 or more and its fucking impossible to play...

knitoe

Mission accomplished. Ghost Pro. I finally had to get a sentry gun package, drop it, let someone steal it, proceed to follow, kill stealer after he deploy it, and then, destroy the sentry gun. Wish I thought of this early instead of spending 10 hrs waiting for someone to deploy one.

Top Bottom