• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

subversus said:
This game is fucking AWESOME. It feels like MW1 but BETTER (at least in SP). And it feels like MW1 in multiplayer (you can't beat the perfection). No more cheap deaths, guns has recoil. It's good to be back. Also sound is definitely improved.
Agreed. I'm enjoying it infinitely more than MW2. Feels a lot less unfair and random and like it requires more skill.

subversus said:
This game is fucking AWESOME. It feels like MW1 but BETTER (at least in SP). And it feels like MW1 in multiplayer (you can't beat the perfection). No more cheap deaths, guns has recoil. It's good to be back. Also sound is definitely improved.

Really?

I'm pumping it out of my 5.1 but most of the guns sound like pellets and the toink toink psshh of the grenades is weak.

Bradach

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

I'm pumping it out of my 5.1 but most of the guns sound like pellets and the toink toink psshh of the grenades is weak.

there are 7 channels on PS3 though... which is nice!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Foxy Fox 39 said:
I thought it'd be cool to post the names of my classes.

Sub Sandwich (mpk/ninja class)

Wesley Snipes (self explanatory) [I :lol'd]

I call Shotgun

A Salt Cracker (assault weapons)

Et tu Brute (another variant of the Ninja/knifing class)
Haha! These are great. Here are a few of mine:

Ask a Ninja (SMG/quiet/quick)

Soap (Assault and explosives)

Vinnie (Shotgun, massive side-arm, etc.)

Still working on the rest...

.nimrod

Does anybody else have weird freezes in the lobby after a match? It always freezes for 10-30 seconds each time, it's very annoying.

Also i think the Valkyrie rockets out of a care package are glitched, they always blow up in my face o_O

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

It's a huge step up on ps3 at least. I've heard the audio in mw2 on ps3 was way worse than on 360.

Loxley

backflip10019 said:
Agreed. I'm enjoying it infinitely more than MW2. Feels a lot less unfair and random and like it requires more skill.

I think once the plethora of broken shit gets fixed across all three platforms, people will come around to Black Ops. Although I can't say I blame the shear amount of skepticism out there right now, since many of us were fooled into thinking MW2 was going to be the grand successor to CoD4 only to have our hopes and dreams stomped on.

Personally, I already love the game despite having the broken-ass PC version. So I can't imagine how much I'll enjoy it when the game is in ship-shape two months from now :p

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

I don't get this. From the preview videos it sounded bettter than MW2. What happened?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

check your system then. Sound is getting closer to BFBC.

.nimrod said:
Does anybody else have weird freezes in the lobby after a match? It always freezes for 10-30 seconds each time, it's very annoying.

Yep. And at the start of each game.

it happens when you're the host. how did they fuck this up?

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

Although not perfect, I think the explosions have much more of a bass-y pop to them. The grenades from mw2 sound like they were recycled from cod 2, there's just no oomph to them. Guns sound more explosive too, but they could definitely still use some work. I've been spoiled with Reach though, the weapon/grenades sound excellent.

Tokubetsu

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't get this. From the preview videos it sounded bettter than MW2. What happened?

It sounds great to me. I don't know where this complaint is coming from either. I had to actually put the Audio back to "quiet" because it was a bit too loud...and turn down my sub :lol

Hah nice tomahawk kill, someone tagged me the same way last night (but not across the map) by throwing it blind into smoke, it bounced off a building and into my back :lol

Are game clips to youtube working for 360 again? some sweet kills I would love to render but can't...

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Guys Im stuck!!

Im on that mission where I have to destroy the ZPU and clear the north village and head into the rat tunnel. I try to go into the rat tunnel but I can't. I've tried throwing nades, and rockets to open the covered rat tunnel and nothing works. I thinking that this is a bug cuz I end up taking my life to restart the checkpoint but I still get the same results when Woods orders me to the rat tunnel....or Im doing something wrong...so yeah help!

I actually had a ridiculous kill in my first game on Nuketown. Well, I was the one who was killed. Someone shot a tube at the start, it rebounded off the roof of the house on the other side of the map without exploding, hit the ground and hit me direct impact (once again without exploding). You wouldn't read about it. Unfortunately I forgot to save it and it was over 100 games ago so I think it's out of the equation. Shame.

JB1981

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

No surround sound here, just HDMI audio through TV speakers and I can't appreciate any improvement in the sound either. Actually, I feel like BF:BC2 has ruined the way all these games sound. It's in another league.

Alright I havent really posted in the thread much but now that I've played the game for quite a bit, here is my 2 cents on the 360 version mp:

-Love the way the game plays and the new rules like earning killstreaks only through your own kills. Slower pace is nice.
-Liking the CP system although I kind of miss the unlockable stuff that comes with doing challenges like in MW2
-Maps are good, but the spawn system is absolutely terrible. I thought mw2s spawns were bad, but this one is just annoying. Every once and awhile in MW2 Id see myself spawn in view of my killer. But this has happened at least 20 times in the past 2 days I've had black ops. Nuketown is just stupid. How did a map like that get through playtesting? Also why did they put a vote for "previous" map. Why the hell would you want to do that? It should be 2 random maps to vote on OR the random selection.
-I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of miss seeing people snipe. I'm not sure if its just because it just came out, but I've seen a max of 5 snipers total in all the games I've played.
-The wager modes are really cool. Love gun game and one in the chamber.
-Hit detection seems a bit off. I shot some guy in the lower waist area and ended up getting a headshot somehow.

All in all with everybody elses sentiments, I'm enjoying the game a lot and its much less stressful than mw2. I loved mw2 as hard to believe as it is, but it definitely was a bit stressful. Black ops so far hasnt had me rage at all.

So far so good!

regs

Didn't take long for mass people to start camping, although it's not EVERY game I play yet. Spawn, turn the corner, dead :lol

Lionheart1827 said:
-Maps are good, but the spawn system is absolutely terrible. I thought mw2s spawns were bad, but this one is just annoying. Every once and awhile in MW2 Id see myself spawn in view of my killer. But this has happened at least 20 times in the past 2 days I've had black ops. Nuketown is just stupid. How did a map like that get through playtesting? Also why did they put a vote for "previous" map. Why the hell would you want to do that? It should be 2 random maps to vote on OR the random selection.
!

Funny how whenever you play Nuketown, you have to play it at least two or three time since everyone votes for it again. Not sure why Treyarch went that way.

Hey guys about the grenade sound, I have thrown the (real but no explosive) grenades you buy at Army Navy stores they make the same sound as throwing a baseball or softball on concrete (espcially the older pineapple frags) its like a dull thud. So don't get to excited about that grenade sound.

Also flashbangs and concussion grenades sound like soup cans.

So are they going to patch Hardline Pro on SAM and Sentry drops? Because I'm running SAM, Care, Sentry and I was getting Dogs, Chop Gun, and Attack Chopper last night.

AcciDante

I can't log on to the theater site. Everytime I log in, it takes me to another page saying I need to complete my info, but it won't ever let me submit it :(

Gary Whitta said:
Black Ops is the TNT game tonight on Giant Bomb. I might possibly be there playing the PC version.
Hopefully I get to play on 360!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Verano said:
Guys Im stuck!!

Im on that mission where I have to destroy the ZPU and clear the north village and head into the rat tunnel. I try to go into the rat tunnel but I can't. I've tried throwing nades, and rockets to open the covered rat tunnel and nothing works. I thinking that this is a bug cuz I end up taking my life to restart the checkpoint but I still get the same results when Woods orders me to the rat tunnel....or Im doing something wrong...so yeah help!

???

JB1981

Is the matchmaking on 360 still painfully slow? Been playing a rented PS3 copy and the matchmaking is very good ... no issues to report. I'm thinking of buying the game on 360 but have heard the matchmaking is spotty at the moment. Have things gotten better?

JB1981 said:
Is the matchmaking on 360 still painfully slow? Been playing a rented PS3 copy and the matchmaking is very good ... no issues to report. I'm thinking of buying the game on 360 but have heard the matchmaking is spotty at the moment. Have things gotten better?
Eh, it's not too bad. I mean, it'll drop the party every once in a while, but it goes through eventually. Takes a minute or two for me on average.

JB1981 said:

You must be playing a totally different version of the PS3 game... me and my friends have been trying for over 30 minutes to get a game going, they've given up now, this is the worst its been since launch now.

JB1981

kyo_daikun said:
You must be playing a totally different version of the PS3 game... me and my friends have been trying for over 30 minutes to get a game going, they've given up now, this is the worst its been since launch now.

damn really, dude? played last night for three hours and never had a problem.

FStop7

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

There's a marginal improvement but it's nowhere close to DICE quality. The sound in BC2 and MoH multiplayer is unmatched.

JB1981 said:
damn really, dude? played last night for three hours and never had a problem.

Yeah last night was fine, today tho... I cant even beleive how bad it is

Edit: Just got in a game with my friend, selected my class and instant connection crash

IceMarker

FStop7 said:
There's a marginal improvement but it's nowhere close to DICE quality. The sound in BC2 and MoH multiplayer is unmatched.
Yeah, I agree BC2 definitely beats BO in the Sound and Visuals department on PC at least...

Riptwo

I am absolutely stuck at the "Find and kill
Dragovich
" section on veteran. I've made it as far ad the locker room, but there's still no checkpoint, which means I'm playing a 15ish minute segment over and over again. Does anyone know if the enemies in this section infinitely spawn in, or can I actually clear them out?

AcciDante

Man, I'm so fucking tired of getting in high roller wager matches and having a shitty connection. I'm losing so much!

edit: Of course I'm winning the next match and the host leaves. AWESOME.

iam220

yoopoo said:
Anyone's been playing FFA? Its such a lonely and unexciting experience in this game. Maps are just too big.

Yeah I've been playing FFA pretty much exclusively, complete opposite experience. With 18 players you can barely turn a corner w/o getting shot at, regardless of map.

todahawk

Tokubetsu said:
It sounds great to me. I don't know where this complaint is coming from either. I had to actually put the Audio back to "quiet" because it was a bit too loud...and turn down my sub :lol

Awesome, bring on the War Tapes!

BTW please bring back your old avatar gif :D

Najaf

MrMister said:
That's pretty much how I feel, I've played the multiplayer for about 10 hours now and have only been noobtubed once. :D

I have 11 hours in and have not died to a tube once. I love this game. The ranks come so fast too. I'm level 39 now with 49k in the bank I need to spend before I prestige. Good stuff.

Patch ON THE SERVER END is coming soon (hopefully :p).

No this wil not fix the lag, but maybe it will play a little better.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578029

A patch coming in next 24 hours (info from Gameservers)
Quote:
Nov 11, 2010 - 10:45am EST
Treyarch will be releasing a fix for the server browser in the next 24 hours that should correct the problem with being able to find your server on the server browser. We appreciate your patience in this matter.
Original post : http://forums.gameservers.com/viewto...p?f=11&t=41531

Since this server browser is client side, we will get the patch for sure. But no one knows if this first patch will be just fix for server browser only (remember one of dev knows that server browser is busted on client side).

And also, it's quite amusing we are getting up-to-date information from 3rd party rather than directly from Activision/Treyarch. But it is same case for BFBC2 (we always get information first from game server providers rather than DICE/EA) so w/e.

At this point I wonder why they hire PR person if he just does nothing for us, lol.

PS. Notice, this is not same as yesterday's server maxrate 25000 fix. It was for server-side only fix and this is for client-side fix.

f0rk

Do you guys think there would be a giant uproar if (story spoilers)
the British commandos you fight were American, or if someone told the press it happens in the game?
I know it was sorta in MW2 as well but at that point I didn't have a clue who I was fighting so I didn't care.

Christ, finally managed to get a headshot while in Second Chance to earn the Pro version. Now just to drop a sentry gun near the enemy and hope they drop it close to me to finish out Ghost.

snap0212

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah last night was fine, today tho... I cant even beleive how bad it is

Edit: Just got in a game with my friend, selected my class and instant connection crash
Wow, that sounds bad. :( I have no problems, even though I have a pretty slow connection.

So whats the deal with the textures on 360 not loading?

And why is Warlord such a useless perk? Maybe the pro version is better but you can only use it with like 2 or 3 attachments.

Want a shotgun and a sight? Nope
Suppressor and a flamethrower? Nope.
The only things you can match up are extened/double tapped mags, the sights and the suppressor.

Lastly there better be a perk with no fall damage and Marathon Pro better be infinite run...

edit: looked at the perk list. Warlord is still useless :(

Top Bottom