• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Finished the campaign late last night. Great stuff. Unlike the previous CoD games, I really enjoyed the story (despite the fact that the game telegraphed a lot of its twists).

Reznov programming Mason is the only twist I didn't see. I figured that Reznov was dead and that Mason had snapped pretty early on. But nevertheless, the whole brainwashing/crazy soldier thing was great. Very unusual from previous games. I really liked it. Mason is an interesting character. I thought that VA was pretty good across the board, interesting plot, the visuals were alright, did not detract at all, and gameplay was fun.

I do still have a couple of question about the SP... if Mason had cracked, why didn't Woods or Bowman ever comment on it? I figured Reznov was not real once I realized that neither Woods or Bowman ever spoke to him (but Mason talked to him quite a bit in the vicinity of Woods. Also, what's the possibility of a direct sequel to Black Ops? I read that there was some intel or something about events afterwards taking place in the 1970s

UFRA

Foxy Fox 39 said:
So whats the deal with the textures on 360 not loading?

And why is Warlord such a useless perk? Maybe the pro version is better but you can only use it with like 2 or 3 attachments.

Want a shotgun and a sight? Nope
Suppressor and a flamethrower? Nope.
The only things you can match up are extened/double tapped mags, the sights and the suppressor.

Lastly there better be a perk with no fall damage and Marathon Pro better be infinite run...

Pro version of Warlord only gives you 1 extra tactical and lethal grenade (except smoke). So don't get your hopes up for more attachments or 2 secondary attachments.

Plasma

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Black Ops is the TNT game tonight on Giant Bomb. I might possibly be there playing the PC version.

Good luck hope you can get it working, I haven't had much luck all day ):

Nizz

Has anyone been playing TDM matches and ending up playing the same maps? I finally got to play a match on the map "Hanoi". Before that it seemed like the same 3-4 maps in rotation.

Also played a little more of the SP and I'm digging it. Although the game looks like it'll be a complete nightmare on Veteran (I'm playing on Normal).

purple cobra said:
Has anyone been playing TDM matches and ending up playing the same maps? I finally got to play a match on the map "Hanoi". Before that it seemed like the same 3-4 maps in rotation.

I've seen that in Domination. I ended up playing five or six matches in the neighborhood map before I even realized it.

for fucks sake the lag in this game with full green ping is just wrong, how can you play a twitch shooter when collisions are not client side, terrible :/ so many times I have fired first to have them turn and shoot me like I was stood there, MW2 never had this problem.

Makes me want to sell this and just buy MW2 second hand so I have my own copy instead of playing a friends, black ops started off well but the netcode is just no good.

Oh and spawns are so annoyingly shit that it ruins nearly every game mode.

Xater

Encountered another bug today. The lobby is full but the game still says that players are needed to even out th teams....

aku:jiki

.nimrod said:
I really hope they let us render clips in 720p later on, i just uploaded a 5s file and you can barely see the grenade (direct impact kill, thrown over a building).

At least they show up instantly on your youtube account.
Really, they do that for you? I uploaded 1 clip like 8 hours ago and it's nowhere to be seen (except on theater.cod.com), and another one a few hours ago. My clips end up on some Activision channel. (Yes, I linked my account.)

It'll probably sort itself eventually but for right now I'm pretty disappointed, as theater mode was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. :/

Riptwo

I think I hate this game. Serious buyer's remorse happening here. Nothing has evolved from MW2, and both single player and multiplayer actually seem to play worse.

I'll give it another shot when I'm not so pissed off, but right now I regret breaking my "never buy a Treyarch game" rule.

Riptwo said:
I think I hate this game. Serious buyer's remorse happening here. Nothing has evolved from MW2, and both single player and multiplayer actually seem to play worse.

I'll give it another shot when I'm not so pissed off, but right now I regret breaking my "never buy a Treyarch game" rule.
They should have dedicated more effort into the net code or at least made guns client side, too many bullshit moments and that's before killstreaks or camping! it feels like unreal engine net code at some points since you shoot, die and the game just says "lol nah you didn't shoot, fuck that"

Playing as host shows how awesome powerful you can be in close quaters, and with the knife.

Made it to round 22 in zombies last night. The new map of course.

6 mins and 33 seconds into it I was taken down :(

At least I am leading my friends list. Minus the other three guys that were in there with me but they all went down at like 3 mins 12 seconds. into that round. I survived another 3 mins by running from room to room shooting them and then jumping into the teleporter and waiting upstairs in that room for a while.

Round 22 6 mins 33 seconds.

VASPER

Banned
I will admit i love this game more than COD4 and thats saying alot. I put in 20 days in COD 4 and was a 10th prestige with a few golden guns, and this game has me hooked in the same way but better. I put 15 hours in and got level 46 and i just want to play more damn work:D

VASPER said:
I will admit i love this game more than COD4 and thats saying alot. I put in 20 days in COD 4 and was a 10th prestige with a few golden guns, and this game has me hooked in the same way but better. I put 15 hours in and got level 46 and i just want to play more damn work:D

I need to get on more. I am way behind in levels.

But then again I am leveling up two different systems..... :( 360 and PS3.

I really need to hurry up and play the damned campaign.

.nimrod

RJNavarrete said:
Quick question: how do you tie your YT account to the game?

There should be an option to link/unlink your account at the bottom of the callofduty.com/theater page

MQNkL.png

aku:jiki said:
Really, they do that for you? I uploaded 1 clip like 8 hours ago and it's nowhere to be seen (except on theater.cod.com), and another one a few hours ago. My clips end up on some Activision channel. (Yes, I linked my account.)
It'll probably sort itself eventually but for right now I'm pretty disappointed, as theater mode was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. :/
Yeah, i was quite surprised myself :lol
I uploaded a screenshot yesterday and it took about 20 hours to show up on my theater page.

RiverBed

Banned
Is there any benefits/limitation between getting the game new and used? Are they pulling an EA and giving new buyers a code for future free DLC or is it completely the same if I buy it used?

Due to where I live, I have to pay $80 to get the standard game new. I have to pay $60 just to get it used a few weeks from now... :(

Diablohead said:
They should have dedicated more effort into the net code or at least made guns client side, too many bullshit moments and that's before killstreaks or camping! it feels like unreal engine net code at some points since you shoot, die and the game just says "lol nah you didn't shoot, fuck that"

Playing as host shows how awesome powerful you can be in close quaters, and with the knife.

Its just so this, sorry to say but other than the killstreak balancing this is about 20 steps backwards from MW2 in terms of experience, it might just be the lag but im getting at least 6 bullshit deaths every match and its getting boring fast.

Also every time someone leaves a party (doesnt have to be the leader) it breaks the party up, wtf is that bullshit?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:

Why would they change the netcode from previous iterations?
Come to think of it what do people mean when they say this? Do they mean the actual transfer of information and how efficiently this is done, or do they mean how the game tricks you into thinking that there is no latency.

Riptwo said:

You sound like me. Most of the folks in my party were complaining all night about how terrible the game is. I can't comment too much on the SP but MP is slow, hit detection is terrible, most of the assault rifles are garbage,and the sound effects are awful.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just had an awesome CTF hardcore game. Not digging hardcore but that was tense. Finished first on the team somehow.

cameltoe

subversus said:
Just had an awesome CTF hardcore game. Not digging hardcore but that was tense. Finished first on the team somehow.

Hmmmm how did you play HC CTF? Its not listed in the hardcore playlist.

poppabk said:
Why would they change the netcode from previous iterations?
Come to think of it what do people mean when they say this? Do they mean the actual transfer of information and how efficiently this is done, or do they mean how the game tricks you into thinking that there is no latency.

Haven't you felt how much slower it all is compared to MW2?

On the PS3 version getting to your stats and your custom classes takes a life time, forget trying to go to the XMB to check messages or accept invites that way it takes like 5 minutes to load up, then I have someone on my friend list spamming me invites and I can't join because it says he's on the main menu when hes actually in a lobby (hence the invites)

Jeez I could go on for at least 3 more paragraphs about how bad the multiplayer connection wise is on this game, I don't even think a lot of the issues are down to connection and speed its just the game is slow.

Trexid

Neo Member
VASPER said:

Having the same experience here, I picked up both the PS3 and 360 version and been playing multi on 360 and campaign on PS3.

I've put around 10 hours into multi so far on 360 with RL friends and we've been having a blast. I was a bit hesitant about the multi until I started unlocking better weapons and then quickly fell into a crack session last night and didn't go to sleep until around 3:30am work @ 8:00am.

Been loving this combo for Domination and TDM

level 28
Galil w/ Red Dot (purple + 2nd reticle)
tomahawk, nova gas, claymore
RPG
Hardline Pro, Slight of hand, Marathon
Spyplane, care package, SAM

I haven't really noticed any performance issues other than it dropping our in game group every once in a while.

A friend bought it on PC and reported no issues with the following setup:
amd phenom 9850 BE CPU, Asus m3a mobo, 6gb corsair ram ddr2, nvidia gtx 260 oc by bfg

:D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
mildewproduction said:
If you aren't playing Gun Game you aren't playing Black Ops. I might never prestige cause I'll be playing Gun Game FOREVER.

I just started playing it, was having too much fun to pay attention... is there no XP gain?

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
anyone notice in PC mp it takes an entire clip to kill someone? this has to be a lag issue, right? ...please........

X26

Banned
played a few games earlier and the lag was terrible in every one, have been playing since lanch and this in the first time it's been so bad, anyone else?

360 version

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
subversus said:
lag or wonky aiming.

on my part of the games? I've noticed the aiming is not very smooth. but, that's not due to me. I've played about 12 hours of MP and my k:d is still about 1.88 in TDM. I don't remember CoD games being this ridiculous. 3-5 hits used to do the trick, now I feel like it's 7-10.

X26 said:
played a few games earlier and the lag was terrible in every one, have been playing since lanch and this in the first time it's been so bad, anyone else?

360 version

Yup same with ps3

h0pper said:
anyone notice in PC mp it takes an entire clip to kill someone? this has to be a lag issue, right? ...please........

Sounds right, only solution is to play hardcore.

Top Bottom