• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Meier

Really wish you could start out with the FAMAS in this one too. :( I am jonesing to get home and play but I have to go out after work to meet my girlfriend's old co-worker for drinks/dinner. BOO THIS MAN!

Najaf

boredofcanada said:
do we get new contracts as time goes by? im a little confused about the new contract thing.

They change daily. You can redo contracts after a time limit has expired as well. So you can do a single contract multiple times each day. You must constantly go buy more challenges after finishing them.

h0pper said:
on my part of the games? I've noticed the aiming is not very smooth. but, that's not due to me. I've played about 12 hours of MP and my k:d is still about 1.88 in TDM. I don't remember CoD games being this ridiculous. 3-5 hits used to do the trick, now I feel like it's 7-10.
It feels like that due to latency, when you are the host they will drop without any questions asked after a quick squeeze of the trigger, however off host you will have a slight delay between your shot registering which gives the feeling that you need to use half a clip to kill someone, this is one of the worst online problems with black ops.

Client side hit detection would make you feel like the host all the time and it would work wonders, who knows why treyarch use the host side method in a game so fast paced like cod.

Epic games realised this with their last patch to gears 2, it changed the shotgun to client side hit for the most part and it helped a ton even though it still had lag for the enemy to actually visually drop after a shot, your bullets would appear instantly and do damage no questions asked.

knitoe

Diablohead said:
It feels like that due to latency, when you are the host they will drop without any questions asked after a quick squeeze of the trigger, however off host you will have a slight delay between your shot registering which gives the feeling that you need to use half a clip to kill someone, this is one of the worst online problems with black ops.

Client side hit detection would make you feel like the host all the time and it would work wonders, who knows why treyarch use the host side method in a game so fast paced like cod.

Epic games realised this with their last patch to gears 2, it changed the shotgun to client side hit for the most part and it helped a ton even though it still had lag for the enemy to actually visually drop after a shot, your bullets would appear instantly and do damage no questions asked.
That probably explains it to often I jump a guy from behind, pump 3-5 shots into him and only to have him run disappear around a corner. I know my connection can't be that bad since I am often pick as host in MW2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
h0pper said:
on my part of the games? I've noticed the aiming is not very smooth. but, that's not due to me. I've played about 12 hours of MP and my k:d is still about 1.88 in TDM. I don't remember CoD games being this ridiculous. 3-5 hits used to do the trick, now I feel like it's 7-10.

The game has lag and CPU memory leak or something. Still it's not that bad to hinder my enjoyment. It may effect your aiming though. I've killed two men with one clip of MP5k, so I guess the damage model is pretty much the same as in other COD games.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well - I think I finally found a good combo for the sound - set it to loud listening along with surround sound headphones. Makes a world of difference. (The sound is still terrible compared to MW2 though :( )

Spookie

h0pper said:
anyone notice in PC mp it takes an entire clip to kill someone? this has to be a lag issue, right? ...please........

I've had no issues like that at all. Ironicly the only thing working correctly for me on the PC version is the hit reg. :lol

Takes me 4-9 bullets to kill someone depending on my aim/flinch. We have been running increased rates since last night though.

PS3 version here. Not having much of the problems some of you all are having, meaning its been fun. Only thing so far is if I'm party leader and I get my friends in my party, ill go into a game and everything is normal. Were all blue on the map. The very next game were all still in the same game but no longer in a party.

Loxley

As a little note, I really like that putting a silencer on your weapon doesn't come off as a gimp in BO like it has since CoD4, and this is in a world without Stopping Power too. The silencer actually seems to tone down the recoil on a few of the weapons as well (I've heard the Galil with a silencer is particularly deadly).

I'm also digging just how much I'm being forced to experiment with my perk selection in BO, I always love to have at least one LMG, SMG, and AR specific loadout. In the past I've pretty much ended up using the same perks for each one of those (scavenger/bandolier, stopping power/cold blooded, Ninja/Steady Aim). In Black Ops however, my perks for those three loadouts are completely different (with the exception of the third perk, I haven't unlocked a new one just yet :lol).

SMG = Ghost/Steady Aim/Tactical Mask
LMG = Lightweight/Sleight of Hand/Tactical Mask (I've found that Lightwieght is almost a necessity with an LMG, you move as fast as a paraplegic turtle in molasses lugging one around without it)
AR = Scavenger/Hardened/Tactical Mask

The fact that between my three primary loadouts I don't have any repeated perks in the first two perk slots is astounding to me. The other two are saved for and Anti-Air class and a fuck-around class (usually a shotgun loadout lolz) in case you're curious.

I've had no issues like that at all. Ironicly the only thing working correctly for me on the PC version is the hit reg.

Same for me :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:
This is impossible unless you have zero latency.

knitoe

backflip10019 said:
So, has anyone actually used any of the shotguns yet? How does the range/strength compare to those in MW2 (not the 1887s)?
Think, I saw one person try using a shotgun, and shortly switched in lvl 30 of playing. Its understandable since maps are pretty big with multiple entry points. You can't just camp in a corner and shoot someone running by.

knitoe said:
Think, I saw one person try using a shotgun, and shortly switched in lvl 30 of playing. Its understandable since maps are pretty big with multiple entry points. You can't just camp in a corner and shoot someone running by.
Yeah, I feel like they would be completely ineffective in this game. I'm happy that people haven't really been using them.

Trexid

Neo Member
backflip10019 said:
So, has anyone actually used any of the shotguns yet? How does the range/strength compare to those in MW2 (not the 1887s)?

I'ved tried the Olympia only a few matches and couldn't seem to hit much. Just unlocked the Spas-12 last night an was pretty surprised at the size of the iron sights on it in black ops. I really loved MW2 Spas-12 iron sights but this is just ridiculously huge and seems to take up almost the entire bottom of your screen. After firing a couple shots off (semi-auto) the recoil brings your gun tip up and you and up blindly firing at your enemy hoping the spray will take them down.

The only attachment for the spas seems to be the silencer which takes the range from 3 to 2 which doesn't seem very useful at all. Would prefer a sight or grip. As far as the power though the Spas did seem to bring down the enemy very effectively after 1 or 2 shots at the right distance.

Weenerz

Banned
Galil + Reflex Scope + Silencer are so nice. Even without stopping power, it seems to kill pretty quickly.

I've been leveling pretty quickly thus far in the PC version, almost level 26. Though the one round I had with 26k xp definitely helped.

Loxley

Speaking of shotguns, has anyone tried the Stakeout? It's the only other shotgun I currently have access to outside of the Olympia, and was wondering if I should even bother picking it up or should just wait until I have access to the SPAS-12.

The hit detection is my biggest gripe with the multiplayer right now. There are just way too many moments where my face lights up because I feel like I have the drop on the enemy, but I wind up getting 3-4 hitmarkers and before eating it myself. I'm not saying I'm the best shot in the world, but in previous CODs, and most other online shooters, when I have the drop on a dude I usually win that gunfight. This is not the case in Blops. Connection seems to play a much larger role in this game than any other one in the series' past. In Modern Warfare 2 if you had a 3 bar connection and you were up against a group of 4 bars(god I wish they'd use actual ping numbers) you were at a disadvantage, but it was manageable. In Blops if you have a 3 bar connection, unless you're playing extremely cautiously and only shooting fools out of a window that gives you plenty of height, then prepare to eat lead over and over again. Running and gunning and doing well is impossible in this game on a 3 bar.

Other gripes:

-The guns all feel very similar and once you unlock the few that feel good in your hands then there's no reason to spend any more cod points on weaponry, therefore making the whole cod economy thing feel like a tacked on gimmick.

- The spawns. Oh god the spawns. Especially in objective games, the spawns in this game can be dreadful. I played in a ctf lobby last night where 5 times in a row I spawned literally in front of the enemy's crosshairs. I'm not exaggerating. This coupled with the 15 second respawn timer drove me nuts!
/rant

f0rk

Loxley said:
Speaking of shotguns, has anyone tried the Stakeout? It's the only other shotgun I currently have access to outside of the Olympia, and was wondering if I should even bother picking it up or should just wait until I have access to the SPAS-12.

It's a pretty standard for a pump action shotgun. I enjoyed killing people with it, but the range seems a lot shorter than the MW2 super shotguns so it can be annoying.

RedStep

Danne-Danger said:
Get to the harpoon!
Wait for the right moment!
Get to the harpoon!
Get to the harpoon!

That section was fucking awful (mini-rant: Treyarch has no idea how to tell the player what they're actually supposed to do).

If you're still stuck there:
Fire it at the gunner door

backflip10019 said:
You're grammar is abysmal.
2my9auw.png

RedStep said:
That section was fucking awful (mini-rant: Treyarch has no idea how to tell the player what they're actually supposed to do).

If you're still stuck there:
Fire it at the gunner door
Yeah I had to look it up just now. Even worse is, they block the fucking door back into the house with an invisible wall, prime example of typical shitty "CoD Simon says"-gamedesign, absolutely horrid stuff.

It's 2010 here people.

Cobra84

johnFkennedy said:
The hit detection is my biggest gripe with the multiplayer right now. There are just way too many moments where my face lights up because I feel like I have the drop on the enemy, but I wind up getting 3-4 hitmarkers and before eating it myself. I'm not saying I'm the best shot in the world, but in previous CODs, and most other online shooters, when I have the drop on a dude I usually win that gunfight. This is not the case in Blops. Connection seems to play a much larger role in this game than any other one in the series' past. In Modern Warfare 2 if you had a 3 bar connection and you were up against a group of 4 bars(god I wish they'd use actual ping numbers) you were at a disadvantage, but it was manageable. In Blops if you have a 3 bar connection, unless you're playing extremely cautiously and only shooting fools out of a window that gives you plenty of height, then prepare to eat lead over and over again. Running and gunning and doing well is impossible in this game on a 3 bar.

Other gripes:

-The guns all feel very similar and once you unlock the few that feel good in your hands then there's no reason to spend any more cod points on weaponry, therefore making the whole cod economy thing feel like a tacked on gimmick.

- The spawns. Oh god the spawns. Especially in objective games, the spawns in this game can be dreadful. I played in a ctf lobby last night where 5 times in a row I spawned literally in front of the enemy's crosshairs. I'm not exaggerating. This coupled with the 15 second respawn timer drove me nuts!
/rant
The hit detection is horrible, even with excellent connections from every player. I've gotten 5 hit markers with what should be a 2 hit kill M14, just to have them keep running along.

The guns are very similar. Exclude magazine size and there are really only about 3 smgs and 3 assault rifles.

Spawns are pathetic. I've spawned in front of an enemy RC-XD, in napalm several consecutive times, and in the crosshairs of an enemy shooting at someone else.

RS4-

Well I've been banned in a server already for apparently being too good. :lol

If I abuse that dive shit, I'd be even better!

rezuth

Loxley said:
I loved my SPAS in MW2 but I find it useless in Black Ops. It takes up the whole screen so unless you are planning on just running around doing hipfire with steadyaim its quite useless.

poppabk said:
This is impossible unless you have zero latency.
True but as it stands client side bullets would do the world of good in a cod game. I suppose doing this however would being up the moments where you kill each other like what happens in halo and gears.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PROTIP: AKS-74u + Silencer + 3,4,Napalm Strike = Win every single FFA match you're in. Every. Single. One. Provided you're fast at aiming.

Absolutely loving Search and Destroy in this as well. Even though I still have Ninja on due to my playstyle, I don't FEEL like I NEED to have Ninja on because Treyarch didn't put James Cameron's Aliens Heartbeat Sensors in this iteration, thank god. If I need to be silent, one can always crouch, and footsteps make considerable less noise anyway. One of these days I'll switch Ninja for Hacker and subsequently Flak Jacket for Hardline. But more importantly, THANK YOU FOR REMOVING BEGINNING OF ROUND NOOBTUBE SPAM. S&D actually feels like a cool deviation of Counter-Strike now, which is how it should be.

MAC-11 dual wielded had me feeling all Chuck Norris Invasion USA last night. :lol

No but seriously the MAC-11 packs a really excellent close to mid range punch. I was dropping guys in three shots, it might be as powerful as the AK74u without the range.

GodofWine

KoruptData said:
PS3 version here. Not having much of the problems some of you all are having, meaning its been fun. Only thing so far is if I'm party leader and I get my friends in my party, ill go into a game and everything is normal. Were all blue on the map. The very next game were all still in the same game but no longer in a party.

Have the same party issue now and then, sometimes my party isn't "Blue" on the map too, Im sure they'll figure out that one and patch it.

Besides that, no problems.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I need 7 more share packages for Hardline Pro but most people don't take my care packages. :lol

In MW2, people did everything in their power to steal my care packages but in this game my teammates just ignore them. What the hell? I had a friggin' chopper sitting there for almost 3 minutes and NONE of my teammates decided to pick it up. Then the other team came, killed me and stole it.

Kunan

How extensive is the splitscreen in the PS3 version? Can we play versus bots, and play zombies together? I know you can splitscreen online atleast, and can't campaign together.

PC:
So I changed a few ports on my router and it seems that the game runs a lot better.
Maybe just a few lucky games but I'm just saying.

You can always try right?

Do not mind the naming of the ports that is just something that I know what its for.
30mn0bk.jpg

Mik2121

For all of you with the sight designs and colors unlocked.. are there many?

I wanna get a pink heart or something like that, is that doable? I think it would be great to go around with such a weapon :p

Also how expensive are the designs and colors?

Has anyone gotten Hacker Pro yet? I'm curious as to what "Sabotaging" enemy equipment means, and why it would be better/easier than just shooting it.

itsgreen

Any other people not seeing their most recent game(s)?

I absolutely gave the other team hell just now, 38-2, two earned gunships... and wanted to show it to my flatmate. But it isn't in theater mode?

Mik2121 said:
For all of you with the sight designs and colors unlocked.. are there many?

I wanna get a pink heart or something like that, is that doable? I think it would be great to go around with such a weapon :p

Also how expensive are the designs and colors?
Colors a few designs A LOT

Top Bottom