• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

amar212

Mik2121 said:
Man, what's up with everybody playin Domination and other modes like they were TDM? Seriously, there is already a TDM playlist, go there and play if you just wanna kill...

I think because apparently Domination gives you greatest bonuses thus you rank up faster.

I play only Team Tactical so I don't know for sure.

.nimrod

Someone needs to build an online flash emblem creator, i don't wanna buy layers and images only to see that i can't create what i imagined :lol

Max said:
Isn't that the point, to rank up and get better equipment? Still I get good ratios with the beginning weapons
You always had the best guns in previous cod games right from the start, which is how it should be for balance reasons.

Mik2121

AnEternalEnigma said:
Just got stuck on a Domination match where a party of five was somehow allowed to be placed on a team that only had two people left. Even worse, the game refused to find us teammates for the rest of the game.

So yeah, we got fucked in the face 7-on-4. On Nuketown.

This bullshit has happened on every game since CoD4. Neither Infinity Ward nor Treyarch has proven capable of fixing it.

Time for a new fucking engine please.
That has nothing to do with the game engine :p

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
CartridgeBlower said:
It seems like the guns you start with in MP, more than the past few games, are terribly underpowered compared to the later guns. The Enfield is the worst thing ever. Getting owned by people with the Famas, Aug, and Galil. Ugh.

I haven't unlocked all weapons yet (I'm at lvl 28, I think) but so far the Enfield is my favourite weapon.

itsinmyveins said:
I haven't unlocked all weapons yet (I'm at lvl 28, I think) but so far the Enfield is my favourite weapon.

It's by far my worst. Every time I find a different gun on the floor in MP and I pick it up, I ALWAYS do better with it. Shockingly so. I'm only lv. 12 now so most of the guns are still locked. But if I grab an aug or a famas off the floor, my k/d skyrockets.

I guess different strokes for different folks...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
CartridgeBlower said:
It's by far my worst. Every time I find a different gun on the floor in MP and I pick it up, I ALWAYS do better with it. Shockingly so. I'm only lv. 12 now so most of the guns are still locked. But if I grab an aug or a famas off the floor, my k/d skyrockets.

I guess different strokes for different folks...

Yupp. I've got Famas unlocked but always go with the Enfield anyway, along with dual mags and reflex sights. Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but to me it feels a lot like an equivalent to the M4 in MW2 (my weapon of choice along with the ACR in that game).

By the way, what's the actual difference between the reflex sight and red dot?

Ramirez

Unlocked the Commando tonight, so good.

This game has the worst spawns in the history of games however, I can't count the times I kill someone, walk 5 feet, round a corner and that same guy has respawned right in front of me, really dumb.

Ramirez said:
Unlocked the Commando tonight, so good.

This game has the worst spawns in the history of games however, I can't count the times I kill someone, walk 5 feet, round a corner and that same guy has respawned right in front of me, really dumb.

Yeah, no doubt. I really hope they can fix them.

Tokubetsu

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I've found this too. With the exception of the MP5K & HK-21, the beginner guns are pretty shit compared to the likes of the FAMAS, Galil and AK74u.

M16 is still pretty good.

Raiden

Banned
DrBo42 said:
At first I liked hardcore mode. Then I realized that it's just spray around corners and win.

Yep, this is the first COD that i hate hardcore mode in, it is incredibly boring, people just camp.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This is my first major COD game in many many years. I honestly don't get the appeal of multiplayer, it's the most spammy, annoying and dull thing i've played in a long time. It all seems so pointless.

I really wish i understood why people love it, I just don't get it :lol

Hardcore TDM is about as fun as gouging your eyes out. It's tedious, full of campers and horribly slow.

Hardcore Search, on the other hand, is wonderful.

Najaf

Raiden said:
Yep, this is the first COD that i hate hardcore mode in, it is incredibly boring, people just camp.

It lost something for me as well. I played Hardcore almost exclusively in MW2. Black Ops is missing something there that makes it taste stale. I am loving core mode though; nothing 3 rounds from my Galil can't handle.

Tokubetsu said:
M16 is still pretty good.

I can imagine it being good in hardcore modes. But in core, having to put nearly two whole bursts into someone means that 1-on-1 you're going to get killed by the guy with the automatic every time.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I can imagine it being good in hardcore modes. But in core, having to put nearly two whole bursts into someone means that 1-on-1 you're going to get killed by the guy with the automatic every time.

Absolutely, and the lag in this game makes it even worse than normal. M16 in a close firefight loses almost every time.

From afar it's still pretty good though, given the lack of recoil.

SmokeMaxX

Some impressions from a Treyarch fanboy and someone who used to play competitive CoD:
Pros
- Good map design for the most part. I like how players can now interact with the map (like close doors) and how maps are different in different game types (big maps become smaller in Wager Matches).
- Balanced perks/killstreaks. Despite what people say about the RC Car, 1) it's not even a guaranteed kill 2) player is completely vulnerable during the duration of the killstreak, 3) it is one of the best anti-camping tools in the game, 4) it can be shot down, 5) it is countered by flack jacket, and 6) UAV gives a much higher probability for more team kills than the RC Car.
- Interesting new additions to the game (Wager Matches, new zombie modes + minigame, new mechanics on killstreak interaction, many easter eggs)
- Decision to make the game anti-noob, anti-annoying, and anti-camper by removing abusable things.
- Less aim-assist.

Cons (overall there's a pretty massive list)
- Horrible, HORRIBLE spawn system. Is it worse than MW2 or other iterations? Maybe not. I've seen equally bad spawns in MW2 and I believe spawning was patched in 4/5 as well. However, several times per game I can't walk five steps from my spawn without encountering an enemy. I've never been shot in the back so many times before.
- Guns are unbelievably weak. What's most frustrating about this is that ARs are unbelievably strong in comparison to the other classes. Snipers were toned down (can't really do offensive rush sniping anymore). Shotguns were toned down (only excel at near knife range). SMGs were toned down (not even great CQC weapons anymore; they are either too weak or have too high of a recoil at too close of a range). LMGs aren't too bad so far IMO, but I have rarely used them. But anyway- guns (mainly SMGs) are so weak that if a person is still several feet from a corner, I'm scared to shoot at them because they'll get away and I'll give up my position. I've never had this problem in previous CoDs. Also, even at close range SMGs are losing to ARs. If this were to be the case, why even put SMGs in the game? They are not significantly better at CQC than ARs. It's debatable as to whether they're even better at all in CQC.
- If you're going to be "anti-camping" then at least fully commit to it by having SMGs be the strongest weapon class (like in WaW). If SMGs are strongest, then you promote running and gunning. If ARs are the strongest, it's perfectly feasible to just hole yourself up somewhere with a long (or short) range of sight and completely dominate any range.
-Netcode also needs work. Bad lag in this game is less noticeable up until the game starts to stutter, but more rage-inducing because you never know when you'll lose a gun-battle where you have a complete advantage just because you're lagging.
- Snipers are not very fun right now. I would rather not like to hide somewhere in a bush just so I can have time to position my scope and shoot a guy. I'm more of a "we see each other at the same time" kind of guy and I'll duck under the window frame, peak my head up, aim, and shoot, then repeat until the guy is dead. This is made much harder with the whole anti-quickscoping movement. It's much less annoying to get quickscoped by someone who scoped in, saw me, and then shot, than someone who's hiding in a bush and shooting my in the back when I run past their ghost pro body.

FleckSplat said:
So yesterday Steam told me it had "finished downloading Call of Duty: Black Ops." Does this mean there was a patch?
Yes.
Hey PC gamers:

We are listening to you and we’ve been busy working on updates based on feedback from the community. We have already deployed a number of updates, and there will be many more to come. Stay tuned right here for all the latest info.

LIVE FIXES

11/10

* GameServers.com has bumped sv_maxrate to 25000 across all servers to reduce lag.
* GameServers.com continues to improve official server distribution in various worldwide regions.

11/11

* Friends fix for join in progress and Friends tab in server browser.
* Performance improvement for dual and quad core.
* Improved connectivity with Black Ops Rcon tool.

IN PROGRESS

* GPU hitching on certain graphics cards.
* Incomplete server browser results.
* Improvements to Quickmatch joins (results with better ping and reduced lag).
* Zombies "The game session is no longer available" error.

Regards,
-JD

SmokeMaxX

Najaf said:
It lost something for me as well. I played Hardcore almost exclusively in MW2. Black Ops is missing something there that makes it taste stale. I am loving core mode though; nothing 3 rounds from my Galil can't handle.
Play high stakes wager matches. That's where it's at. :D

Xux

Max said:
Isn't that the point, to rank up and get better equipment? Still I get good ratios with the beginning weapons

No, the point is to rank up and get more options. The game should still be balanced regardless of how long someone has been playing.

itsinmyveins said:
By the way, what's the actual difference between the reflex sight and red dot?

They look different.

Seep said:
what's the deal with the waw zombie maps are they just the same or do they have the new weapons?

Both.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I cant seem to upgrade my ammo during Zombie mode, do I hold X to upgrade the ammo? as it does not seem to work.

*edit* Oh and I agree the spawning system is awful, enemies spawn behind you way too often, or you spawn next to a group of enemies *edit*

Short clip of a FFA game I had earlier today. Took forever to show up on the COD site. Pretty awesome feature though. The emblem that shows up in the vid is not mine. Don't know what happened there.

Rolling Thunder

nbraun80

.nimrod said:
Ugh, i'm practically begging my teammates to take my care packages to get Hardline Pro but everybody just rushes off -.-
I know it's weird I always had to get my buddies for him because no one else would. It's really odd because in MW2 it was like flies swarming on a dead animal when you dropped a care package...ha

Xux

Deacan said:
I cant seem to upgrade my ammo during Zombie mode, do I hold X to upgrade the ammo? as it does not seem to work.

You have to upgrade the weapon first so it can use the upgraded ammo.

Also, has anyone found the Mystery Box in "Five"? Me and my friends usually can't last very long past the Doc Brown round to try and explore to find it.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
natedog4000 said:
I know it's weird I always had to get my buddies for him because no one else would. It's really odd because in MW2 it was like flies swarming on a dead animal when you dropped a care package...ha

Might be to do with the fact 3/4 Care packages are Spy Planes.

deathberry

Neo Member
Jesus how do I get to that objective (only 30ish meters away) in that mission where u have to defeat the advancing NAV line?! I keep on dying every time I get near the trench line.

deathberry said:
Jesus how do I get to that objective (only 30ish meters away) in that mission where u have to defeat the advancing NAV line?! I keep on dying every time I get near the trench line.

chuck-norris-ass-kicking-jeans.jpg
+
Rain+Barrels+to+Be.jpg

deathberry said:
There are barrels scattered around the area. Push each one and you'll advance.
This one got me for a while too.
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Noriss n' barrels
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Plasma

Banned
Somnium986 said:

So that's why that bit was so hard to do, I did it without doing that :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
deathberry said:

Is it Vietnam mission? The only bad place in the game so far. I advanced to the point somehow, it switched 30 meters left, then I retreated, cut the corner and ran to checkpoint. But it's better than The Mansion in MW2 which I wasn't able to complete at all.

ScrubJay

Just got my first chopper gunner on Nuketown. It was exhilirating to just turn the tide of the game completely and send the other team scrambling for cover. Definitely way more fun than the MW2 chopper gunner, where I can barely tell what the hell the map is and I just hunt for red dots.

I got it by playing "get out of my house" with the M60 and the aid of a motion sensor. I think I'm in love with both of those now.

Somnium986 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

WHAT?? you had to do that??... fucking hell, that level made me turn down the difficulty.
And in the end i made it without doing what you said........

Hanmik

Always-honest said:
WHAT?? you had to do that??... fucking hell, that level made me turn down the difficulty.
And in the end i made it without doing what you said........

same here.. and didn´t turn down difficulty..

Top Bottom