• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

snap0212

Diablohead said:
Nice, I made one last night also using about 9 layers I think:

2nqvbzl.jpg
Very nice. What did you use for the "n"? That's the only thing I can't figure out. (If it's not an issue for you if I just copy yours, of course.)

THe white N isn't actually anything, use 4 triangles, two for the orange part and two for the grey, use a O in white to cap the sides and then a white box in the background to show up the N, the highlights were just some extra since I had 2 layers spare.

SmokeMaxX

Stripper13 said:
Agree with everything except the bolded. What the fuck?

I'm having the complete opposite experience - I'm getting decimated by SMG's and it's frustrating. Whether it be CQC, Mid-range, I get the drop, they get the drop, I'm prone, etc I lose almost always. I'm not sure which SMG(s) are doing it, but I'm considering dropping the FAMAS for one, as the move speed increase combined with insane ROF and decent damage seems to really outweigh the long range advantage of an AR.
In my experience, the only SMG that "dominates" is the AK74U which is already an SMG/AR hybrid a la the UMP of MW2. It's a nice gun, but I prefer having the option of using pure SMGs and being able to rush down check points and win if I'm better than the person guarding it.

Also, shame on you if you camp in One In The Chamber. That's so lame and it's not like this is for real money. It's not that serious yo. ESPECIALLY if it's not high stakes.

Belfast said:
They're fun. And there's almost always a spy plane in the air anyway.
Lol that really is the reason. I always think they take so long to get one kill, I've gotten two or three a few times but its usually one. Theyrea also a low blast radius blow. And half the time I come back dead. And I could probably get equal or more kills by playing normally without it. But they're fun!

.nimrod

They really shouldn't allow split-screen in wager matches, i just saw two jerks trying to boost -.-

aku:jiki said:
Oh, thanks, hadn't thought of that. I sent a strongly worded e-mail about selling me shit I can't use as a reply to MS, but if they're just gonna jerk me around I'll do that.

Wait, I just realized that my account already is from elsewhere...it's checking my IP. :(
Ah, damn.
If you've got a spare ethernet cable, you can hook up your xbox to your pc, forward your internet connection to your xbox and use a proxy/vpn program like Hotspot Shield to get a US ip address.
If it's not too much of a hassle, that is ;)

snap0212

Diablohead said:
THe white N isn't actually anything, use 4 triangles, two for the orange part and two for the grey, use a O in white to cap the sides and then a white box in the background to show up the N, the highlights were just some extra since I had 2 layers spare.
Got it, thank you. You actually only need six layers. What did you use for the highlights? :D Tried the moon, but it doesn't seem to really fit.

edit: Got it. It's awesome. Tanks for the help!

Stoney Mason said:
I find the M16 isn't as good as in prior games but if you are very accurate with your aiming it seems like it can work. The Famas is decently accurate and it spits out a lot of bullets so it feels way different than it did in MW 2. It's more a spray gun now where it seems like the M16 requires even more accuracy than it did in prior games.
This is a very good assessment. I only got to level 14 last night and was using the M16 up to that point. I felt that a lot of match-ups that I would normally win I was losing. Some of it felt like lag too admittedly. Then I unlocked the Famas and things just changed. I was winning all the battles and making the kills I expected. Also tried out the AK74-U and thing also rocked. I felt like I was moving very quickly too.

I hate dogs. Or should I say, I wish they weren't more or less invincible.

The only maps I don't like so far are Radiation, Cracked and Nuketown. These (IM-current-O :lol) are the only ones where you can really feel the spawns are broken. Oh, and jungle; that shit feels totally broken if you happen to spawn near C.

Grid is amazing, as is WMD and Firing Range. It's testament to the design axiom, 'keep it simple'; they work because there isn't too much going on (windows, verticality etc.).

Magik

-viper- said:
Should I use the M16 or the FAMAS?

I'd say the FAMAS. Having it be automatic will give you an edge in CQC situations and tapping the trigger will allow you to get kills from a distance. It may not be dead-on accurate as the M16, but its close enough when you get really good at it.

R2D4

Banned
So have they fixed the PC problems yet? This resolution on the PS3 is really getting to me. Can't see shit past a certain distance when trying to spot enemies. Everything is just blurry. I am playing on my 1080p monitor though. Didn't have this problem with MW2. Might trade it in for the PC version if it's fixed.

snap0212

-viper- said:
Does anyone know whether Treyarch will patch in second account sign in on the PS3?
They probably won't. Haven't said anything about it and judging by how the PS3 version currently is, they don't really care about it either.

Big-E

Need some help with the single player. I am having a real hard time beating back the NVA on the hill without getting shot to shit. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to approach this?

nib95

Banned
Anyone else having trouble getting in to matches? 360 version, been taking ages to get in to anything. Restarted multiple times and still n dice.

RedStep

.nimrod said:
They really shouldn't allow split-screen in wager matches, i just saw two jerks trying to boost -.-

What the hell are you going to boost in a 10-credit Wager Match? If I'm not mistaken, Challenges, Contracts, and all other rewards (even XP) are null there. The maximum reward is 30 credits, which is the equivalent of about 1 minute of play in a "real" playlist.

The bottom Wager Match mode is just to get your feet wet, it's like a training mode.

Big-E said:
Need some help with the single player. I am having a real hard time beating back the NVA on the hill without getting shot to shit. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to approach this?
Hey Big-E, what I did was run down the left side of the hill, lay down at the first set of sand bags then once you heal up, run down the left side of the hill and hide in the room with the stationary gun. Peek out from the window and take out any enemies you can and you shoud see one of the AI kick down a barrel. If you look past him there'll be two more barrels that can be kicked down. Make your way towards them and kick the barrels down. That'll stop the infinite spawning enemy and get you a check point. Thats how I did it on Veteran.

IceMarker

Big-E said:
You and like 5 others in the thread dude! I beat it on my one day trip through Veteran difficulty lane, but I did it after 2 hours. Here's a few tips...

-Stick to mostly the left side.
-Try to move down the hill the same time as the marines/Woods/Hudson.
-Shoot and kill trench and right side NVA before you make any moves, that will give you some short time to only get shot by about 2 NVA before they 'respawn'.
-After you reach the bunker with the MG in it, after you hear Woods screaming "Do it Mason!", rinse and repeat on killing as many NVA as possible and then making a crazy ass run towards woods and go prone ASAP.
-After you're safe behind Woods immediately go for the barrel to the right of him, as you're shooting NVA, and the duck back into cover. A checkpoint should go off and then rinse and repeat for the second barrel. After the second barrel another checkpoint will go off and the rest is literally an uphill battle... albeit and easier one.

.nimrod

RedStep said:
What the hell are you going to boost in a 10-credit Wager Match? If I'm not mistaken, Challenges, Contracts, and all other rewards (even XP) are null there. The maximum reward is 30 credits, which is the equivalent of about 1 minute of play in a "real" playlist.

The bottom Wager Match mode is just to get your feet wet, it's like a training mode.
I know, they did realize that a couple of minutes in and started to camp together. One of them ran a bit outside, probably to call out positions. It's nothing gamebreaking, it's just annoying.

IceMarker

RedStep said:

Definitely don't be like me and jump into a One in The Chamber wager match with a c500 bet and lose all your credits in 3 rounds due to "oh maybe I'll get lucky if I use the same tactics as FFA"

Raiden

Banned
n0n44m said:
extended mags ofcourse!

already had multiple situations where it saved my life and had me spraying down 3+ opponents without reloading

I never ever used extended mags in any of the COD's(assuming they were in the previous titles) sleight of hand fixes the problem and it gives you a faster aim. Seems like the way to go for me. But if you really like the iron sight then extended mags are pretty good i guess.

Raiden said:
I never ever used extended mags in any of the COD's(assuming they were in the previous titles) sleight of hand fixes the problem and it gives you a faster aim. Seems like the way to go for me. But if you really like the iron sight then extended mags are pretty good i guess.
Well, you could always use Warlord too and get the best of both worlds.

Raiden said:
If im not mistaken, i think warlord and sleight of hand are in the same perk tree.
Right, I was referring to Extended Mags and a scope which would eliminate the need for sleight of hand and give you a bigger clip. But then again the faster ADS that SoH gives you is really helpful too.

-viper-

Banned
But does the scope improve accuracy and recoil of the weapon compared to a stock weapon? That's the question I'd really like answered.

I hope all values stay the same with the red dot sight, so that way I'll be happy to accept extended mags, especially since the sights of the FAMAS are very good.

A few things.

For SMGers (my favorite weapon class) the MAC-11 seems to be king. I held back saying this until I noticed I was consistently beating AK74u users gun to gun (hint: its the MAC-11s fire rate) if you like shooting your SMG past mid range I would say stick with the AK74u.

Also I am already over the RCXD. It leaves you vulnerable for too long and is ALOT of work to usually only get one kill. As of right now its off my Killstreak list in all modes except Domination where its an awesome scout that kills shit.

-viper- said:
But does the scope improve accuracy and recoil of the weapon compared to a stock weapon? That's the question I'd really like answered.

I hope all values stay the same with the red dot sight, so that way I'll be happy to accept extended mags, especially since the sights of the FAMAS are very good.
No, on some guns sights even increase the recoil slightly.

RavenHawk

SmokeMaxX said:
:lol Chopper Gunner is so broken on NukeTown. It's almost like if getting a chopper gunner on Shipment were possible. People keep spawning outside into Chopper Gunner fire. SO MANY KILLS.

Wait until you get dogs on Nuke Town. :lol
So much carnage...

Stoney Mason said:
This.

SMG's are dominating from what I've experienced as I posted last night. And the most effective AR's that a lot of people are carrying are the ones that effectively function as SMG's like the Galil. I'd like to see more recoil if anything on SMG's.

From my experience it's completely random whether SMGs will be effective or not. But that kinda applies for just about all guns in this game. Sometimes it takes 2 shots to down someone, other times you'll put a whole clip into someone with steady aim and an smg at close range and they finally fall at the last bullet.

1 vs 1 combat feels more like a coin toss than any other COD game ever. Blame it on the wonky hit detection. Blame it on the heavy lag. Blame it on aim-assist that's sketchy and literally locks-on the player when it randomly decides to turn on. Blame it on ARs like the Aug that act like better smgs than smgs. Blame it on the framerate that can't stay steady. I don't care. It's b grade crap.

I was all for a COD game that was more about the gunplay than anything else (which always was the case, but people bitch) but then you have to make the gunplay better and tighter, not more wonky and dependent on things outside of my control.

Anerythristic said:
A few things.

For SMGers (my favorite weapon class) the MAC-11 seems to be king. I held back saying this until I noticed I was consistently beating AK74u users gun to gun (hint: its the MAC-11s fire rate) if you like shooting your SMG past mid range I would say stick with the AK74u.

Also I am already over the RCXD. It leaves you vulnerable for too long and is ALOT of work to usually only get one kill. As of right now its off my Killstreak list in all modes except Domination where its an awesome scout that kills shit.

RCXD sucks, the Spy Plane is infinitely superior. Too bad Treyarch was dumb and made it a three killstreak, every dumbshit uses it instead of the team-first Spy Plane.

JB1981

Was extremely tired while playing last night so perhaps that is coloring my latest impressions of the game, but I am very much of two minds about this game. I appreciate that Treyarch has stripped the game down to 'basics' and hasn't gone crazy with the killstreaks and overpowered perks but I also feel that in their attempt to do so, the series has lost some of its appeal and quite frankly its "magic." I am not very impressed with any of the guns I have unlocked so far. Few of them feel very good to shoot and they just don't excite me in the way that a lot of the guns from prior games in the series have. Nuketown might be the worst map I've ever seen in an FPS, yet the community constantly re-votes to play the map after every game!! I guess its a good map for racking up kills, thus the appeal to replay, but it is an awfully designed map.

I think I enjoy Array the most (is that the name?) and I like Cracked a lot as well. I feel that overall the map design is a step back from MW2 and a major step back from COD 4. I still believe COD 4 was the pinnacle of the franchise.

edit: agree completely with Mr. B Natural regarding one-one-one gunplay.

IIRC, in older games couldn't you pick opponents based on your skill, area etc? Can you actually any of that now?

Getting tired of getting pitted against teams of level 50s...

iam220

Wohoo, PC patch fixed my stuttering (dual core) :D

Currently rocking the Galil and loving it. I actually prefer it to the FAMAS which is also quite awesome. I like the ak74u as well but I find that SMGS seem to be underpowered in this game. Next unlock is the ak47, how does that compare to the other ARs?

Also, loving the 24/7 nuketown servers. Embrace the carnage :D

-viper-

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
From my experience it's completely random whether SMGs will be effective or not. But that kinda applies for just about all guns in this game. Sometimes it takes 2 shots to down someone, other times you'll put a whole clip into someone with steady aim and an smg at close range and they finally fall at the last bullet.

1 vs 1 combat feels more like a coin toss than any other COD game ever. Blame it on the wonky hit detection. Blame it on the heavy lag. Blame it on aim-assist that's sketchy and literally locks-on the player when it randomly decides to turn on. Blame it on ARs like the Aug that act like better smgs than smgs. Blame it on the framerate that can't stay steady. I don't care. It's b grade crap.

I was all for a COD game that was more about the gunplay than anything else (which always was the case, but people bitch) but then you have to make the gunplay better and tighter, not more wonky and dependent on things outside of my control.
thats how i feel.

Raiden

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
IIRC, in older games couldn't you pick opponents based on your skill, area etc? Can you actually any of that now?

Getting tired of getting pitted against teams of level 50s...

If you're on Xbox 360 press the "back" button while in the lobby, you can only select which region you would like to search in though, not based on skill as far as i know.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MP is just running around with fast firing weapons and just hoping the game decides you get the kill, getting a little tiring.

ultron87

As someone who always enjoyed shooting down people's killstreaks, SAM turret is like a dream come true to me.

The only bummer is when it totally fails at shooting stuff down like when I was on. . . the snow map with the building in the middle that has a big radar dish on top and my turret fired 4 missiles at a Cobra only to have each one just run into the radar dish.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
Was extremely tired while playing last night so perhaps that is coloring my latest impressions of the game, but I am very much of two minds about this game. I appreciate that Treyarch has stripped the game down to 'basics' and hasn't gone crazy with the killstreaks and overpowered perks but I also feel that in their attempt to do so, the series has lost some of its appeal and quite frankly its "magic." I am not very impressed with any of the guns I have unlocked so far. Few of them feel very good to shoot and they just don't excite me in the way that a lot of the guns from prior games in the series have. Nuketown might be the worst map I've ever seen in an FPS, yet the community constantly re-votes to play the map after every game!! I guess its a good map for racking up kills, thus the appeal to replay, but it is an awfully designed map.

I think I enjoy Array the most (is that the name?) and I like Cracked a lot as well. I feel that overall the map design is a step back from MW2 and a major step back from COD 4. I still believe COD 4 was the pinnacle of the franchise.

I agree with you 100% on this. This is nearly my exact sentiment. They fixed the "concepts" of MP, but they didn't improve and actually seemed to have forgot about the main gaming concepts behind a game, like gameplay, online performance (one of the worst lagging games ever, tons of DCs and matchmaking errors), visuals.

maximum360 said:
Unlocked the AK47. It's definitely one of the better guns even with a silencer I was getting decent kills from a distance.

Not a fan, this is the first AK in any cod that I really don't like. Kicks like a mule even with a suppressor.

JB1981 said:
Nuketown might be the worst map I've ever seen in an FPS, yet the community constantly re-votes to play the map after every game!! I guess its a good map for racking up kills, thus the appeal to replay, but it is an awfully designed map.

I joined a game last night that was on nuketown and after it was over 10 people voted for it again. I heard one guy say they had already played it 9 times in a row.

Ikuu said:
MP is just running around with fast firing weapons and just hoping the game decides you get the kill, getting a little tiring.

I am fully noticing that in this game shooting a guy in the legs can take like six or more hits to get a kill upper chest head area its like three hits. I thought we all knew in this game it matters where you score hits on the opponent?

Raiden said:
So you suck at it?
That's so true. Unfortunately, I feel like this game has a steep learning curve for those who didn't play MW2 through a few prestiges, so a lot of people who just picked it up expecting to have an easygoing online experience and are getting destroyed by more experienced players. Then they immediately disregard it as being the game's fault, or lag, etc.

SmokeMaxX

MrMister said:
Definitely don't be like me and jump into a One in The Chamber wager match with a c500 bet and lose all your credits in 3 rounds due to "oh maybe I'll get lucky if I use the same tactics as FFA"
Seriously, play some more. You can still do your FFA tactics. I don't do high stakes, but I do do the 1000C (weekend gambler) playlist and all I do in One in the Chamber is run and gun. I consistently get 1st or 2nd unless half the other guys are doing some hardcore camping. OitC is super lame if everyone's camping. It should be about who has the best shot/reactions as opposed to who finds the best corner. One guy camped in a spot and I just flat out spawned right in front of him, like his gun was touching my character model. I took half a step and got knifed. Horrible spawns + camping = rage.

Also, I second the randomness of SMGs. Either you can dominate with them (if you have less lag than the other person) or you get completely worked by everyone else. I guess my problem is that I consistently have more lag than other people. I also see myself shooting first but on the killcam I either shoot second or at the asme time.

snap0212 said:
Got it, thank you. You actually only need six layers. What did you use for the highlights? :D Tried the moon, but it doesn't seem to really fit.

edit: Got it. It's awesome. Tanks for the help!
Late reply but I used the line which looks like a quater hollow O, you might need a high level to unlock it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
backflip10019 said:
That's so true. Unfortunately, I feel like this game has a steep learning curve for those who didn't play MW2 through a few prestiges, so a lot of people who just picked it up expecting to have an easygoing online experience and are getting destroyed by more experienced players. Then they immediately disregard it as being the game's fault, or lag, etc.
Pretty sure my stats are close to 2.0, nothing amazing but not exactly terrible.

bluehat9

snap0212 said:
They probably won't. Haven't said anything about it and judging by how the PS3 version currently is, they don't really care about it either.

bu...bu...but everyone told me Treyarch were the kings of post-release support and that IW were the laziest people in the world.

then again, when you release a pile like this at launch, no wonder you get a reputation for post-launch support. Maybe with the extra patches the game will actually become playable.

backflip10019 said:

I think what's more likely is fundamentally the Treyarch and the IW games play really differently from each other on the MP. I'm not saying one is better than the other as I actually probably prefer the MW 2 model. But there is definitely a learning curve if you've come over from MW 2.

Honestly I kind of like that. I hope they stick to that approach as it makes the games feel really different and I don't feel like I'm just playing the same game I already put a lot of time into last year but its definitely an adjustment especially since I didn't play much WaW.

Top Bottom