• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

.nimrod said:
Who wouldn't take a spy plane for free? o_O

People are too busy with that bloody RC car! 'a few kills for my team or one for me?' That sort of mentality sucks.

Some things:

(360 by the way)

- I hate getting drop shotted and having my knees killed.

- I feel quite ignorant saying this but, after a few hours with the game, the spawns have only really bothered me a few times. (On clusterfuck Nuketown games, on Radiation due to being 2v6 and camped to death - but I don't like that map anyway)

- I REALLY like Grid. Demolition on that map is SO good.

- Netcode really is the life and death of this game. my connection is trafficked (Virgin Media - the 'fastest' in the UK) so there seems to be a 'warm-up' and 'cool-down' that happens between 8-11pm, approx. If I play during these hours I lose CQC everytime. I'm talking all that 'getting the drop on your opponent and dying' crap, and the 'sneak and knife only to watch the killcam and to find I've been shot then knifed' stuff. 8-11pm and I'm crying in a Domination game on summit because of how awful it is. If I play at any other time it's awesome.

Hanmik said:
same here.. and didn´t turn down difficulty..
i had to. i tried so many routes and strategies. i even was near the checkpoint (didn't know then) sitting there shooting guys left and right.. but i always got killed. i didn't understand what would trigger a next event... and the spawning, the horro.

MarshMellow96 said:
- Netcode really is the life and death of this game. my connection is trafficked (Virgin Media - the 'fastest' in the UK) so there seems to be a 'warm-up' and 'cool-down' that happens between 8-11pm, approx. If I play during these hours I lose CQC everytime. I'm talking all that 'getting the drop on your opponent and dying' crap, and the 'sneak and knife only to watch the killcam and to find I've been shot then knifed' stuff. 8-11pm and I'm crying in a Domination game on summit because of how awful it is. If I play at any other time it's awesome.
I'm on virgin media and I never noticed a time in the day where things turn bad, but I do seem to have my best matches close to midnight, around midnight I always end up with host after a few games too.

SmokeMaxX

ScrubJay said:
Just got my first chopper gunner on Nuketown. It was exhilirating to just turn the tide of the game completely and send the other team scrambling for cover. Definitely way more fun than the MW2 chopper gunner, where I can barely tell what the hell the map is and I just hunt for red dots.

I got it by playing "get out of my house" with the M60 and the aid of a motion sensor. I think I'm in love with both of those now.
:lol Chopper Gunner is so broken on NukeTown. It's almost like if getting a chopper gunner on Shipment were possible. People keep spawning outside into Chopper Gunner fire. SO MANY KILLS.

Diablohead said:
I'm on virgin media and I never noticed a time in the day where things turn bad, but I do seem to have my best matches close to midnight, around midnight I always end up with host after a few games too.

Where in the UK are you situated? I'm in Liverpool on the '20mb xxl' package. It's still playable during those times, but it seems to be more sensitive who I'm playing with.

I dunno, the slowness might have something to do with the amount of students in the area downloading movies all day..

MarshMellow96 said:
Where in the UK are you situated? I'm in Liverpool on the '20mb xxl' package. It's still playable during those times, but it seems to be more sensitive who I'm playing with.

I dunno, the slowness might have something to do with the amount of students in the area downloading movies all day..
Reading, 20mb package also :lol

SmokeMaxX said:
Some impressions from a Treyarch fanboy and someone who used to play competitive CoD:
Pros
- Good map design for the most part. I like how players can now interact with the map (like close doors) and how maps are different in different game types (big maps become smaller in Wager Matches).
- Balanced perks/killstreaks. Despite what people say about the RC Car, 1) it's not even a guaranteed kill 2) player is completely vulnerable during the duration of the killstreak, 3) it is one of the best anti-camping tools in the game, 4) it can be shot down, 5) it is countered by flack jacket, and 6) UAV gives a much higher probability for more team kills than the RC Car.
- Interesting new additions to the game (Wager Matches, new zombie modes + minigame, new mechanics on killstreak interaction, many easter eggs)
- Decision to make the game anti-noob, anti-annoying, and anti-camper by removing abusable things.
- Less aim-assist.

Cons (overall there's a pretty massive list)
- Horrible, HORRIBLE spawn system. Is it worse than MW2 or other iterations? Maybe not. I've seen equally bad spawns in MW2 and I believe spawning was patched in 4/5 as well. However, several times per game I can't walk five steps from my spawn without encountering an enemy. I've never been shot in the back so many times before.
- Guns are unbelievably weak. What's most frustrating about this is that ARs are unbelievably strong in comparison to the other classes. Snipers were toned down (can't really do offensive rush sniping anymore). Shotguns were toned down (only excel at near knife range). SMGs were toned down (not even great CQC weapons anymore; they are either too weak or have too high of a recoil at too close of a range). LMGs aren't too bad so far IMO, but I have rarely used them. But anyway- guns (mainly SMGs) are so weak that if a person is still several feet from a corner, I'm scared to shoot at them because they'll get away and I'll give up my position. I've never had this problem in previous CoDs. Also, even at close range SMGs are losing to ARs. If this were to be the case, why even put SMGs in the game? They are not significantly better at CQC than ARs. It's debatable as to whether they're even better at all in CQC.
- If you're going to be "anti-camping" then at least fully commit to it by having SMGs be the strongest weapon class (like in WaW). If SMGs are strongest, then you promote running and gunning. If ARs are the strongest, it's perfectly feasible to just hole yourself up somewhere with a long (or short) range of sight and completely dominate any range.
-Netcode also needs work. Bad lag in this game is less noticeable up until the game starts to stutter, but more rage-inducing because you never know when you'll lose a gun-battle where you have a complete advantage just because you're lagging.
- Snipers are not very fun right now. I would rather not like to hide somewhere in a bush just so I can have time to position my scope and shoot a guy. I'm more of a "we see each other at the same time" kind of guy and I'll duck under the window frame, peak my head up, aim, and shoot, then repeat until the guy is dead. This is made much harder with the whole anti-quickscoping movement. It's much less annoying to get quickscoped by someone who scoped in, saw me, and then shot, than someone who's hiding in a bush and shooting my in the back when I run past their ghost pro body.

Agree with everything except the bolded. What the fuck?

I'm having the complete opposite experience - I'm getting decimated by SMG's and it's frustrating. Whether it be CQC, Mid-range, I get the drop, they get the drop, I'm prone, etc I lose almost always. I'm not sure which SMG(s) are doing it, but I'm considering dropping the FAMAS for one, as the move speed increase combined with insane ROF and decent damage seems to really outweigh the long range advantage of an AR.

rezuth

I don't understand people that use the RC car at all, not only does it leave you open for being killed for a period of time but it also is almost a one kill max kill streak. You can get faaaar more kills from getting a spy plane, it does not make you freeze either AND it helps your team. Why does everyone keep on driving around these RC cars? Drives me mad.

rezuth said:
I don't understand people that use the RC car at all, not only does it leave you open for being killed for a period of time but it also is almost a one kill max kill streak. You can get faaaar more kills from getting a spy plane, it does not make you freeze either AND it helps your team. Why does everyone keep on driving around these RC cars? Drives me mad.
They are useful in domination or once you learn the maps driving them into the enemy spawn zones for a quad kill :D

harrytang

rezuth said:

uhhhhh, they're fun maybe? that's why i play games. also in hardcore td i like being able to recon enemy positions easily from a safe spot.

aku:jiki

So this is some infuriating bullshit. I bought the Hardened Edition for the zombie maps and I bought it locally, here in the biggest electronics shop in my town (which in turn is the biggest chain in Europe), but I'm being told that my zombie map code is not for my region.

I contacted MS support about it and the response I got was like 5 paragraphs basically telling me that "uh, yeah, it not being available in your region means it's not available in your region." How the motherfuck are they gonna sell a special edition that's locked out of my country?!

Feels like I should be able to sue or some shit. :(

A couple more observations. The masterkey attachment is more useful now as I expected since less people have shotguns now.

Also I noticed that for whatever reason I can't play at the same sensitivity as I play MW 2. I play MW 2 at like 7 or 8.

But I had to bump it all the way down to 4 in black ops as I found I was missing to many shots.

Stripper13 said:
Agree with everything except the bolded. What the fuck?

I'm having the complete opposite experience - I'm getting decimated by SMG's and it's frustrating. Whether it be CQC, Mid-range, I get the drop, they get the drop, I'm prone, etc I lose almost always. I'm not sure which SMG(s) are doing it, but I'm considering dropping the FAMAS for one, as the move speed increase combined with insane ROF and decent damage seems to really outweigh the long range advantage of an AR.

This.

SMG's are dominating from what I've experienced as I posted last night. And the most effective AR's that a lot of people are carrying are the ones that effectively function as SMG's like the Galil. I'd like to see more recoil if anything on SMG's.

.nimrod

aku:jiki said:
So this is some infuriating bullshit. I bought the Hardened Edition for the zombie maps and I bought it locally, here in the biggest electronics shop in my town (which in turn is the biggest chain in Europe), but I'm being told that my zombie map code is not for my region.

I contacted MS support about it and the response I got was like 5 paragraphs basically telling me that "uh, yeah, it not being available in your region means it's not available in your region." How the motherfuck are they gonna sell a special edition that's locked out of my country?!

Feels like I should be able to sue or some shit. :(
Wow, that sucks.
Can you make a UK account, redeem the code and play the dlc on your normal account?

harrytang

Stoney Mason said:
This.

SMG's are dominating from what I've experienced as I posted last night. And the most effective AR's that a lot of people are carrying are the ones that effectively function as SMG's like the Galil. I'd like to see more recoil if anything on SMG's.

I feel like up close the smg's are killing it, but if you manage to keep your distance and actually manage your play style keeping in mind your enemies are running and gunning, you wont be trumped every standoff. On Crisis you can get on the smoke stack in the back of the map and fire at people in the house. The smg's havent been able to get accurate shots on me from that vantage point. Also from on top of the rock beach side.

Stoney Mason said:
A couple more observations. The masterkey attachment is more useful now as I expected since less people have shotguns now.

Also I noticed that for whatever reason I can't play at the same sensitivity as I play MW 2. I play MW 2 at like 7 or 8.

But I had to bump it all the way down to 4 in black ops as I found I was missing to many shots.

Yea I played 10 in MW2 but I'm down to a 4 in Black Ops. I think anything beyond a 4 seems too fast and sporadic with the way Black Ops works (game speed, autoaim amount, so on)

Raiden

Banned
rezuth said:

Lol, i have one good reason and one selfish reason

1. Good reason, RC cars are very good, you must know your typical chokepoints on the maps and send the little cart in, use them around corner etc, you're not forced to use it immediatly, if you die you still have the abillity to use it.

2. Selfish reason, i prefer to have a kill over getting a spy-plane that helps anybody and nobody, also smart players use the "ghost" perk. Everyone should.

snap0212

Yeah! Almost finished my GAF Logo. Still need two layers and some fine-tuning, but I think it'll be finished tonight. :)

Sorry for crappy iPhone quality.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game breaks my internet. I think I'll go back to it in 2 weeks time when they fix that shit.

aku:jiki

.nimrod said:
Wow, that sucks.
Can you make a UK account, redeem the code and play the dlc on your normal account?
Oh, thanks, hadn't thought of that. I sent a strongly worded e-mail about selling me shit I can't use as a reply to MS, but if they're just gonna jerk me around I'll do that.

Wait, I just realized that my account already is from elsewhere...it's checking my IP. :(

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Stoney Mason said:

Yeah, I noticed that too but stuck with the default setting. Ten hours later and I'm quite used to it.

Another thing; I don't know why but for some reason I'm getting better scores in Black Ops than in MW2. Maybe it's just because people haven't started taking enough advantage of the maps yet or something. Maybe it's because usually when I play MW2 I listen to a podcast and lower the volume on my TV making me slightly less focused, which I haven't done in Black Ops that much yet.

-viper-

Banned
Game feels way too easy on Normal mode. Should I try hardened? Or is it cheap like Veteran?

Also, the MP can be such bullshit at times. The lag is fucking unbearable. Everytime I happen to play Americans, I lose every. single. firefight.

Honestly you can obviously tell that it lacks any kind of polish Modern Warfare 2 had. MW2 feels far more playable despite all the crappy noob tubing.

itsinmyveins said:
Another thing; I don't know why but for some reason I'm getting better scores in Black Ops than in MW2. Maybe it's just because people haven't started taking enough advantage of the maps yet or something. Maybe it's because usually when I play MW2 I listen to a podcast and lower the volume on my TV making me slightly less focused, which I haven't done in Black Ops that much yet.

A lot of people are playing now who will eventually drop out. So yeah. The people who are veterans of the series are probably having more success against scrubby players would be my guess. It will even out a bit as the more dedicated players stick around and the less dedicated people move on to other games.

KingDizzi

Banned
Really starting to love the online expect the constant disconnections, there are to say the least annoying. Playing the SP for about 10 minutes on release date and not touched it since, will go back to it in a few weeks but made the mistake of playing on Vet but have since move to hardened which I think it alot more balanced.

-viper-

Banned
Is it me or are the hitboxes totally broken in this game. Also, I ALWAYS seem to die when running away from someone, despite me going around the corner pretty quickly. Can I presume this is the lag at fault here?

snap0212 said:
Yeah! Almost finished my GAF Logo. Still need two layers and some fine-tuning, but I think it'll be finished tonight. :)

img_0152rb3j.jpg

Sorry for crappy iPhone quality.
Nice, I made one last night also using about 9 layers I think:

2nqvbzl.jpg

cameltoe

-viper- said:
Is it me or are the hitboxes totally broken in this game. Also, I ALWAYS seem to die when running away from someone, despite me going around the corner pretty quickly. Can I presume this is the lag at fault here?

Lag.

I feel like i'm 2 seconds behind at times....sigh

-viper- said:
yes, on their screen you never made it around that corner.

Mik2121

I'm really LOVING the multiplayer, and while there are a few framerate issues in a couple spots, it's not really all that bad. At least not for me.

Anyway, the only thing that's really bugging me A LOT is the connection issues. Seriously, yesterday when I bought the game it all worked flawlessly, but today it's been a huge mess. I keep getting disconnection errors (Disconnected due to transmission error), sometimes I join a game and when it's about to begin I show up alone in the map and nobody joins. I have yet to be able to play Search and Destroy because of this (got the same error 4 times in a row and decided to stop bothering).

Also sometimes I have 4 green bars and yet it will lag a bit. What the hell is the deal? I hope it's because of the servers' stress, but even then..

Oh well, looking forward to future patches or less people joining so that everything works smoother.

-viper-

Banned
Will Treyarch patch in the second account sign in for the PS3?

Why are we not allowed to sign in with two PSN IDs? Sony released a FW update which could allow multiple account sign ins, as demonstrated by Resistance 2.

It's pretty clear that Treyarch's effort in producing BO for the PS3 is simply half-assed.

Dyno

When I saw friends on X-Box Live and they were saying the MP is fun I broke down I got a copy. (Man I'm weak.)

Someone said it earlier; COD4 is/was the pinnacle of the series. While this game has some good points its also a janky, cheap-running mess. Maps that leave you so exposed that it promotes hiding in a room, horrific spawns, and bad animations that make people hard to hit on the fly because they move so unpredicably. Even the menus come off cheap and is this the first COD that didn't even supply historic quotes when you die in single player? Shame.

If Treyarch knew they had to deliver a definative experience in order to take IW's mantle and even still delivered an unpolished product then you just know that the new crop of second-tier developers is going to send the franchise into the shitter.

grap3fruitman said:
I finally played a few games last night and my first impression is that I don't like this nearly as much as I did MW2. =(

Give it a little more time.

That was my initial impression also but its starting to grow on me. Unlike some on GAF I really dig MW 2 and how it controls and how the guns feel. At first this felt really alien to me and quite slow and deliberate by comparison. But once I got a few guns and perks I liked and started adapting to it rather than trying to play it like MW 2 and being disappointed, its starting to grow on me. I still have complaints like the sniping and the party system but overall I'm liking it.

Also give the wager matches a try if you haven't yet. I think those are really fun and a great addition and oddly enough for some reason they remind me more of MW 2 although I don't know why... Maybe because they just feel more hectic. I normally hate free for all playlists but those are really fun.

Pandoracell said:
I've been great with the famas, but it seems I need to try the galil after reading some impressions here.
The galil isn't great imo, I die a lot with it and don't get many kills. AK74U with grip is a damage dealer. Famas is alt, with Stoner when I need to mix things up. I'm hugely disappointed with light machine guns overall this time, I usually stick to them and dominate but I haven't had much luck with any, they suck. I miss my L86/MW2.

Loxley

SmokeMaxX said:
:lol Chopper Gunner is so broken on NukeTown. It's almost like if getting a chopper gunner on Shipment were possible. People keep spawning outside into Chopper Gunner fire. SO MANY KILLS.

I had a TDM yesterday on Nuketown where someone on the other team got a chopper gunner and we still managed to win. My Olympia + 1911 with Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Tactical Mask prevailed. Granted I was #1 on the winning team with a rousing score of 20-19 thanks to that damn chopper, but hey, we still won :lol

So it is possible to win a TDM on Nuketown even if the other team gets a chopper gunner and yours never does, assuming pretty much everyone on the other team is really, really shitty.

jonnybryce said:
I'm hugely disappointed with light machine guns overall this time, I usually stick to them and dominate but I haven't had much luck with any, they suck. I miss my L86/MW2.
Agreed. I really miss my RPD. Used to run train with it in MW2. :(

-viper- said:
Should I use the M16 or the FAMAS?

I find the M16 isn't as good as in prior games but if you are very accurate with your aiming it seems like it can work. The Famas is decently accurate and it spits out a lot of bullets so it feels way different than it did in MW 2. It's more a spray gun now where it seems like the M16 requires even more accuracy than it did in prior games.

-viper-

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Famas (in MP)
Does the red dot sight improve the accuracy of the gun, or does it stay the same?

The sights of the FAMAS are pretty good so I'm wondering what my attachment should really be for it.

n0n44m

-viper- said:
Does the red dot sight improve the accuracy of the gun, or does it stay the same?

The sights of the FAMAS are pretty good so I'm wondering what my attachment should really be for it.

extended mags ofcourse!

already had multiple situations where it saved my life and had me spraying down 3+ opponents without reloading

-viper-

Banned
n0n44m said:
extended mags ofcourse!

already had multiple situations where it saved my life and had me spraying down 3+ opponents without reloading
Hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a good idea, especially since the FAMAS clip empties within 3 seconds :p

n0n44m said:
extended mags ofcourse!

Yeah, since a lot of the guns seem a lot weaker than their respective counterparts were in MW2, extended mags are a lifesaver in this game. They're also pretty good on SMGs which have terribly small clips.

Belfast

rezuth said:

They're fun. And there's almost always a spy plane in the air anyway.

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, since a lot of the guns seem a lot weaker than their respective counterparts were in MW2, extended mags are a lifesaver in this game. They're also pretty good on SMGs which have terribly small clips.

I've found the HK-21 to be absolutely beastly with extended mags.

Top Bottom