• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Shogun PaiN said:
Me and my group of friends pretty much win 99% of our games every night by using positional control and good communication. We also regularly win Team tactical Domination matches despite being 3v4 by using the same tactics.

Running and gunning only gets you so far against a decent set of players.
Got any games recorded? I'd love to see some of that in action.

But I'm not saying its impossible to use positional control, just that the level design and weapon handling seems to favor run and gun and short engagement distances.

_Bro

Banned
NullPointer said:
Got any games recorded? I'd love to see some of that in action.

But I'm not saying its impossible to use positional control, just that the level design and weapon handling seems to favor run and gun and short engagement distances.
Having a lot of troubling grasping the severity of how wrong you are.

iNvidious01 said:
my advice would be not to waste tier 3 on ninja because you dont actually need it, just run around normally and no one will hear you anyway - its a bug right now, i guess they wanted to reduce sound hoaring but now someone can jump behind you and you wont hear them. the only thing ninja currently does is eliminate the sound you hear

Damn. I was always a fan of the silent perks and I wasted my time upgrading it to the pro variant.

venom2124

DMeisterJ said:
Finally got my AK47! <3

I need no other weapon.
Ak47 is amazing. I've been buying every gun to try and find my go to, and it's easily the ak. I feel it's hands down the best in the game. One class with a silencer and another with extended mags. I use the ak for medium and and small maps, and bust out the m16 for big maps. It's funny how I was excited for the new guns in the game but I end up using my old reliable loadouts from cod4.

Loxley

What equipment have you guys been using? I'm rank 22 right now and have yet to buy any since I can't figure out which of the bunch would be the most useful :lol

iNvidious01 said:
my advice would be not to waste tier 3 on ninja because you dont actually need it, just run around normally and no one will hear you anyway - its a bug right now, i guess they wanted to reduce sound hoaring but now someone can jump behind you and you wont hear them. the only thing ninja currently does is eliminate the sound you hear

Is it confirmed that the almost complete lack of sound for footsteps is a bug and not a design decision?

Loxley said:
What equipment have you guys been using? I'm rank 22 right now and have yet to buy any since I can't figure out which of the bunch would be the most useful :lol
Claymores. You're pretty much guaranteed a kill with them.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Loxley said:

Get the Motion Sensor. Thank me later.

Just beat it on Veteran. Pretty easy with a few really fucking annoying areas.

-AI is fucking awful. They run by enemies all the time and don't even shoot at them.
-About the same difficulty as MW2
-First Vietnam level was awful. Awful AI and infinite respawning enemies made it even worse. Fucking Napalm drums...
-The end of the Kowloon mission made me want to throw my controller.
-Story was okay.

VaLiancY

Loxley said:

Claymores with Decoy Grenades. :lol

Nizz

Loxley said:
As far as equipment, last night I used cod points for the claymore. That seems to be one of the best things you could equip in that slot, imo. I love how you can pick it up off the ground and reposition it or put it somewhere else completely.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Liking the game thus far, only game design I don't like is that the maps seem to have too many ways to flank the enemy. There is nothing like Crossfire in CoD4 where you could run and gun or hole up. It kind of takes away sniping and defending one end of the map. As soon as you think you have a good vantage point you get flanked and killed.

Spawns aren't helping that case I suppose.

Mik2121

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Is it confirmed that the almost complete lack of sound for footsteps is a bug and not a design decision?
Dunno but I definitely hope it's a bug or a design decision that they will re-think.. :/

I wonder if going Ninja Pro, which gives you "Louder Enemy Footsteps" finally let you hear the enemy.. :/

ExtraKr1spy said:
Just beat it on Veteran. Pretty easy with a few really fucking annoying areas.

-AI is fucking awful. They run by enemies all the time and don't even shoot at them.
-About the same difficulty as MW2
-First Vietnam level was awful. Awful AI and infinite respawning enemies made it even worse. Fucking Napalm drums...
-The end of the Kowloon mission made me want to throw my controller.
-Story was okay.
it's not pretty easy. it's unfair and frustrating.
But yeah, friendly a.i. is fucked up, and the first vietnam level ruined my veteran run. I stepped down a knotch.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
wow this is interesting.. I now need negative xp to get promoted! fucking treyarch

venom2124

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I really hope it's a bug because ninja is useless now. If it isn't a bug, why did they even include ninja as a perk?

_Bro said:
Having a lot of troubling grasping the severity of how wrong you are.
Hey that's fine. I'm only a casual player with COD games so I'll defer to the pros, but that's how it seemed to me from a few days of play.

It also why I asked for videos: I'd like to be enlightened on this. Can the Black Ops file share hold complete games? Or is it just for small clips?

SUPREME1

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
Me and my group of friends pretty much win 99% of our games every night by using positional control and good communication. We also regularly win Team tactical Domination matches despite being 3v4 by using the same tactics.

Running and gunning only gets you so far against a decent set of players.

Camping?

:lol

Loxley

So map wise, thus far I'm digging Array, WMD, Jungle (except in Dom...ugh...), and Villa.

Firing Range, Havana, and Summit on the other hand, can all go stick a fork in a toaster.

Mik2121

Loxley said:
So map wise, thus far I'm digging Array, WMD, Jungle (except in Dom...ugh...), and Villa.

Firing Range, Havana, and Summit on the other hand, can all go stick a fork in a toaster.
Two of my fav maps :lol :lol

kyo_daikun said:
I do love claymores but I think C4 would be better seeing as you get 2 of them.
That's true, though the real benefit of claymores is being able to place them and turn your back on them. You also don't have to actively detonate them which is another good thing.

cameltoe

Loxley said:

I dig almost all of them....(Nuketown for TDM/FFA is great but not for anything else)

Mik2121

FUCK!

I was having an awesome match. I was at 12 kills / 0 death, with 4 of those kills made by the helicopter I just called. Then as soon as I'm about to kill the 9th guy so I can call in the Chopper Gunner, the 'Host Migration' thing shows up, takes about 30 secs to load and then when the game starts, it shows up again, takes some 40 or 50 seconds to load and it takes me back to the menu with a connection error.

Treyarch fix this shitty connection SOON because it's killing the game more so than the spawn issues..

Rubenov

Guys I can hear enemy footsteps (PC). They aren't as loud as previous games but I've stood still and listened to the enemy players approach.

PaNaMa

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Firing Range will be awesome once they fix the spawns.

Thing is, I don't recall Treyarch officially acknowledging they agree spawning is broken or illogical, in spite of much evidence to the back it up. I wouldn't count on a fix for this til they officially add it to their list. Which they have not.

Mik2121 said:
FUCK!

I was having an awesome match. I was at 12 kills / 0 death, with 4 of those kills made by the helicopter I just called. Then as soon as I'm about to kill the 9th guy so I can call in the Chopper Gunner, the 'Host Migration' thing shows up, takes about 30 secs to load and then when the game starts, it shows up again, takes some 40 or 50 seconds to load and it takes me back to the menu with a connection error.

Treyarch fix this shitty connection SOON because it's killing the game more so than the spawn issues..

Yeah I had a similar one, was 23-4 on domination Havana when it tried to host migrate, then the connection crashed, I checked my XP and I needed 11k TNL, played another game and checked my XP and it said I needed 23k TNL :lol (I didnt level it just wiped out my XP earned in that match)

Man....when you're against a team holding down B & C on Summit (Domination), it is tough to gain ground. That map seems really punishing with spawns.

DrBo42 said:
Dive, spray. Tube, dive, spray. I see an enemy, dive, spray. Is this what people like now? Ugh.

Tubing is rare now thank god, equipment wise they definetly need to give you an extra claymore or make it so scavenger refills them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For some reason when I join my friends I end up blocking the party from getting into a lobby, I'm assuming it's because my router did not have it's ports forwarded, so I DMZed my Xbox, and forwarded my ports. My question though is howcome when I put my 360 into manual IP instead of automatic does it immediately make my Nat strict.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
kyo_daikun said:
Tubing is rare now thank god, equipment wise they definetly need to give you an extra claymore or make it so scavenger refills them.
No way, one claymore is perfectly fine. If anything they need to add a delay to the Claymore so you can plant it as you die and kill someone right away.

PaNaMa

Banned
Rubenov said:
Guys I can hear enemy footsteps (PC). They aren't as loud as previous games but I've stood still and listened to the enemy players approach.

On 360, with a 7.1 Sony ES2400 home theatre system, I hear no footsteps. I'm regularly stabbed out by dudes with tactical mask, marthon, etc and had no idea they were chasing me, or rolling up on me at all. The broken spawn system amplifies this problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZWYXqbQWc

The only time I hear footsteps are my own (when I'm not using ninja) and only then when I'm sprinting on on metal grates and stuff.

I have Ninja Pro unlocked, which gives me the benefit of making no sound, and even then I don't hear enemies clomping up behind me for the stab. I have my speakers up so loud my friends complain about the sound feeding back.

In MW2 the bad thing was if you hear Johnny Lightweight Command Marathon sprinting toward you at 80MPH, you could at least turn and fire a couple rounds into him before he pressed the teleportation/stab/win button. In Black Ops, the win button is scaled back little with commando gone, but even that is somewhat nullfied by the relative weakness of guns. Not having footsteps just compounds the problem

jlevel13

Mik2121 said:
FUCK!

I don't know what they could do there - the host quits, it tries to find another host, that host quits other people quit... the problem is peer-to-peer, not Treyarch. Get a PC if you don't want to deal with it.

Numpt3

kyo_daikun said:

I'd have to agree, think I've only been tubed once or twice so far. Fucking knife warping on the other hand... :/

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I can hear footsteps on PC very easily, especially on snow. Is this a console version problem?

henhowc said:
I just died like 5 times in a row due to RC car build-up. :lol

Am I just being a whiner or does anyone else think the RC Car would be better balanced if it showed up as a blip on the radar (similar to U/AV)?
I agree about it on the radar. It could also stop if the pilot is killed or be disabled by the jammer.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Am I just being a whiner or does anyone else think the RC Car would be better balanced if it showed up as a blip on the radar (similar to U/AV)?

m0ngo said:
I'd have to agree, think I've only been tubed once or twice so far. Fucking knife warping on the other hand... :/

Yeah dodgy lunges are still definetly a problem, i'll check my stats to see how many times i've been tubed, bet its under 20 (im level 44)

henhowc said:

Agree, also on hardcore they should be one hit and destroyed, not me emptying a whole clip into them and it drive into 2 of my team mates anyway...

Thnikkaman said:
I agree about it on the radar. It could also stop if the pilot is killed or be disabled by the jammer.

I think hacker Pro's should disable them when they enter a certain range and take control of them seeing as they can do it with other equipment, or if they kill the driver they take over controls?

Top Bottom