• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

I was just playing single player, and got a message that said a model had too many bones. Booted me to the main menu and I lost all my checkpoints on that mission. Must've lost half an hour, what the fuck.

shuri

Banned
Instant regrets upon buying the PC version.. Running an imac 27 inches with an i7 860, 4gb of ram; I get embarassing framerates at native res. Now the game is complaining that I'm not online (?) What the.

Kinda wish my online rental of the 360 version had come in earlier...

mYm|17|

i love how the enemy AI just walks right past Woods and Woods doesn't even shoot him :lol

i started on veteran but i turned down the difficulty cause i just wanna get through this stupid campaign

Kyoufu said:
I'm never getting Ghost Pro. Saw a turret once but it killed me :lol :'(

I got lucky early on right after equipping Ghost. Saw some guy running around w/ a turret, killed him and then nailed the turret. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 since then.

zlatko

Banned
What's everyones thoughts about the multiplayer so far?

I'm very very unimpressed, and I'm unsure why the things I hate are happening so maybe someone can tech speak to me so I understand if this has a chance to be fixed:

1) Bullets seem to NOT register SO much. Even when someone is sitting 100% still and you start to rip at them to not miss a damn shot, it says bullets are missing. Headshots in this game seem 100% broken. I found an enemy sitting in spawn not moving and I went up close to his head with my red dot and pulled the trigger----NO headshot for 2 bullets. I was SMH so hard.

2) The lag issues and how it picks host are so bad. I've had games where my whole team is yellow and 1 bars, but the other team is 3 and 4 bars. I'm also having a consistent problem of getting all my friends together into games. Usually there is 4-6 of us and no matter what we pick it either drops one or two, or leaves us in an empty lobby that no one ever joins in.

3) Knifing seems to be a total crap shoot this time around. Whenever I get knifed I feel like they have Commando from MW2 on, but whenever I knife at chest level it won't come out. Is this caused from lag? The only times I feel like knifing is reliable is if you get behind someone.

4) The maps all feel very average to me. There isn't a really stand out map for me. Nuketown is a sin against man. I'll also throw in my complaint about spawns in this game here now that I mentioned Nuketown. This game has the WORST spawns of the COD series as far as I can tell. Non stop spawned with people behind me, or have enemies always popped up in my ass. Good lord.

5) Guns have an odd feel to them. I still haven't found one that clicks with me. Any suggestions Gaf on what's an OP beast? :D Does anyone here snipe on most levels? The combination of the map layouts and lag/bullet detection make sniping frustrating for me.

I guess that's all I'll hit on for now. I'll also quickly say that the campaign on Veteran was the worst of all the CoD games I've played. I hated it more than WaW's grenade spam enemies. From horrible vehicle sequences, to the you die in 1-2 bullets, to shotguns can kill you from 50+ feet away, to 100% worthless A.I buddies, to so many bull crap sequences left up to luck(Rooftops level at the end with you on your back with a pistol waiting for the van...FUCK that part), to just a very unimpressive told story, and sprinkle in that it was told in a bleh way.

Feels good to get that off my chest, and I hope Trey can put out a good patch to iron out the kinks soon. :(

Snapshot King said:
I was just playing single player, and got a message that said a model had too many bones. Booted me to the main menu and I lost all my checkpoints on that mission. Must've lost half an hour, what the fuck.

Dem bones, someone posted a few pages back with the same issue.

Overpowered beast guns are Galil, Ak47u and Ak47.

GhostRidah said:
Anyone else's settings not saving? Getting tired of re-entering them every time I log on.

Yeah, put them in at least twice a day, god knows whats going on there..

zlatko said:

I'm very very unimpressed, and I'm unsure why the things I hate are happening so maybe someone can tech speak to me so I understand if this has a chance to be fixed:

1) Bullets seem to NOT register SO much. Even when someone is sitting 100% still and you start to rip at them to not miss a damn shot, it says bullets are missing. Headshots in this game seem 100% broken. I found an enemy sitting in spawn not moving and I went up close to his head with my red dot and pulled the trigger----NO headshot for 2 bullets. I was SMH so hard.

2) The lag issues and how it picks host are so bad. I've had games where my whole team is yellow and 1 bars, but the other team is 3 and 4 bars. I'm also having a consistent problem of getting all my friends together into games. Usually there is 4-6 of us and no matter what we pick it either drops one or two, or leaves us in an empty lobby that no one ever joins in.

3) Knifing seems to be a total crap shoot this time around. Whenever I get knifed I feel like they have Commando from MW2 on, but whenever I knife at chest level it won't come out. Is this caused from lag? The only times I feel like knifing is reliable is if you get behind someone.

4) The maps all feel very average to me. There isn't a really stand out map for me. Nuketown is a sin against man. I'll also throw in my complaint about spawns in this game here now that I mentioned Nuketown. This game has the WORST spawns of the COD series as far as I can tell. Non stop spawned with people behind me, or have enemies always popped up in my ass. Good lord.

5) Guns have an odd feel to them. I still haven't found one that clicks with me. Any suggestions Gaf on what's an OP beast? :D Does anyone here snipe on most levels? The combination of the map layouts and lag/bullet detection make sniping frustrating for me.

I guess that's all I'll hit on for now. I'll also quickly say that the campaign on Veteran was the worst of all the CoD games I've played. I hated it more than WaW's grenade spam enemies. From horrible vehicle sequences, to the you die in 1-2 bullets, to shotguns can kill you from 50+ feet away, to 100% worthless A.I buddies, to so many bull crap sequences left up to luck(Rooftops level at the end with you on your back with a pistol waiting for the van...FUCK that part), to just a very unimpressive told story, and sprinkle in that it was told in a bleh way.

Feels good to get that off my chest, and I hope Trey can put out a good patch to iron out the kinks soon. :(

Haven't encountered a single of those issues, and I like the maps and guns alot better than MW2s. Sorry for the problems you're havin bro.

I have not been putting my .02 cents in but honestly; I have had only some lag issues on the 360 and very few at that. Ive had no issues with hits not registering, at all.

Edit - the knifing seems inconsistant at times for me as well.

zlatko said:

I'm not experiencing much lag at all on PS3, even in matches where people are bitching about it during. But I agree with a lot of what so said, guns are odd and knifing feels like a random and weak letdown.

Hyunkel6

zlatko said:
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with your first 3 points, but I do like the maps and the guns. I have no idea why, but I'm having more trouble getting into a game now than on launch day. Lag seems worse than before too. Maybe it's just a bad day.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
zlatko said:

I agree. That's what I love about MW/2 - it's just so well tuned, so tight, feels amazing to play. This game, I'm constantly screaming at the TV saying "OH I GUESS BULLETS IN YOUR BRAIN DON'T KILL YOU ANYMORE?!!" and stuff. It can be really aggravating at times.

Cobra84

zlatko said:
The odd feel might because the first 3 full auto assault rifles have nasty recoil to the right and most of the smgs have excessive recoil in all directions.

kyo_daikun said:
Overpowered beast guns are Galil, Ak47u and Ak47.
I'm not sure what makes these overpowered. The Galil is just an Enfield with 5 extra rounds and a damage boost that doesn't reduces the number of shots to kill. The AK-74 is just an MP5K with slightly less recoil and a noob tube. The AK-47 (and its 100% clone, the Commando) are just an AUG with a 20% rate of fire reduction and the same pointless damage boost the Galil has.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Belfast said:
Just saying, I find LMG camping with a Motion Sensor to be very profitable. Claymore works if you're not good at monitoring your mini-map. Otherwise, you can see pretty much anyone coming and I think it works against people with Ghost, as well.

It is, until I roll up and put a jammer in your area, then frustrate the shit out of you. :lol

ZZMitch

Ok WTF. I was level 26, bought a gun (Galil) and now I am level 25 again without the Galil. This is the second time this has happened, something is really fucked up.

rObit

Banned
zlatko said:
Multiplayer impressions

Problems 1 and 3 are probably due to problem 2. I'm playing on PC myself, so I don't know about the host picking part, but the netcode seems pretty poor compared to MW2. Sometimes it will work perfectly, and when it does it's glorious, but I often times have the same issue where I shoot a guy center mass with my sniper rifle and it doesn't even register a hit. Watch the killcam, and lo and behold I didn't even fire the shot on the server's end. This happens pretty often, even on low-ping servers, so I'm not sure what the deal is there. Melee is always jank in multiplayer shooters, it's just a measure of how messed up it is. It's always a struggle against latency, and since the netcode here doesn't seem to be up to par, I'm betting that's why the melee sucks.

I REALLY like the maps so far in this one though, so there we'll have to disagree I suppose. I haven't had enough time with them to figure out just why I like them, but I definitely do.

I think the guns feel so odd is because they kick around so damn much and fire generally more slowly. I'm not all the way through the ranks yet, but of the automatic weapons I've had so far only the Aug fires even remotely close to the rate of weapons in the MW games, and accuracy wise it feels more like an SMG than anything else. I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's definitely a change.

I'd also like to add that I think it was a mistake to put ninja all by it's lonesome as what I see to be the far most useful perk in it's slot. EVERYONE uses it, so half of my potential awareness is basically useless. I'm finding myself getting knifed in the back and such way more than ever before because I can't hear anyone.

Animal

Banned
Use the Warlord perk that lets you put two attachments on your primary gun. Take the AK74u and give it the higher rate of fire and the accuracy increase attachments.

You're welcome.

zlatko said:

I'm finding the added recoil (at least on the guns I'm using) is making landing hits alot more difficult - but making kills more satisfying. Also, if I'm correct - you can't headshot/insta-kill with anything but a Sniper rifle? The reality is headshots do more damage with the AR/SMG's etc and if you finish someone with a headshot thats when you get the bonus points for it. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that's how it worked.
zlatko said:

I'm not finding any issues with lag or hosts in any circumstance except when the host leaves - then it's a long wait before we get put back in the game, and it's not a good connection afterwards. The party thing is annoying shit though, I hope they fix it soon.
zlatko said:
Having the opposite experience. MW2 knifing was an absolute chore for me, and out of the tens of thousands of kills I got, I think my knife kills were well under 100, it felt so unreliable and pointless against commando users. In contrast, Black Ops I have quite a few knife kills already as I don't seem to be 'out-knifed' everytime... and I've actually had some pretty good multi-kills by shooting a clip into 1-2 people and then knifing the 3rd as he comes around the corner to finish me.
zlatko said:
Nuketown is the only map I feel that has any issues so far. There's a few rooms on some of the maps that seem distinctly camp-worthy, but otherwise Nuketown is the only culprit of average map design. Too small, too many people, top floors are way too easily camped with 1-2 claymores and spawns are fucking awful.

zlatko said:
I think it's fair to say that sniping is probably next to pointless to use at the moment. The AR's while having more recoil than MW2, still have amazing long range ability and you're unlikely to outgun them with any of the Snipers. More importantly, the only reason to use a Sniper rifle (OHKO, Good zoom) is made useless by the fact that the sniper rifles thus far seem difficult to OHKO (different hit detection, weaker guns? Dunno) and there are very few places on any of the maps that allow enough range to make use of the zoom ability of the Sniper rifles - thus you are more or less trying to take on AR/SMG users who are in pretty good, if not, ideal range to take you out much faster and without sway.
zlatko said:

This was my first COD campaign that I played through, and it was absolute shit. I'm not sure how good it was by COD standards, but it felt like complete ass compared to something like Reach, or any FPS campaign I've played in the last few years. Far too many scripted moments, cutscenes, useless dialogue, infinite spawning, ambiguous objectives and most importantly, way too many instances of only have 5-10 seconds to complete an objective or kill enemies (the Van sequence you mentioned is a perfect example) or it's insta-death. After I finished the campaign I felt so relieved that I could just focus on MP and not have to make my way through that awful design.

Snapshot King said:

Just curious, which mission and platform?

Animal said:
Use the Warlord perk that lets you put two attachments on your primary gun. Take the AK74u and give it the higher rate of fire and the accuracy increase attachments.

You're welcome.
15yyoh5.gif

ak74u is too good with lightweight, warlord and marathon, it's like the new commando but now you can shoot!

Pulka

Animal said:

You're welcome.
MP40 all over again? :(

Dan Yo

Banned
I really hate how long it takes for people to die in multiplayer. If they were going to take away stopping power they should have just made the power of the guns act as if stopping power were on by default. The only other alternative is hardcore, which is a camp fest. The power of the weapons seemed perfect in MW2 and COD4.

Used to be rare that someone would get away after a few burst shots with an M16. Now they can actually just stand there and strafe left and right as is the case in every other arcade shooter since the dawn of time. It's kind of disappointing to see COD devolve into that same old tripe.

Spawns are absolutely broken. Horrible. Completely screwy.

Aside from that it's not too bad. Has worse lag issues than I've seen in any other COD game, but still tends to have better net code than 90% of other shooters out there.

The increased customization and theater mode are huge pluses though.

ithorien

zlatko said:
I'll also quickly say that the campaign on Veteran was the worst of all the CoD games I've played. I hated it more than WaW's grenade spam enemies. From horrible vehicle sequences, to the you die in 1-2 bullets, to shotguns can kill you from 50+ feet away, to 100% worthless A.I buddies, to so many bull crap sequences left up to luck(Rooftops level at the end with you on your back with a pistol waiting for the van...FUCK that part), to just a very unimpressive told story, and sprinkle in that it was told in a bleh way.

I think if it wasn't for MP component of this game, it'd be one of the worst FPS games as of late. Can't believe how awful the campaign is.

Dan Yo

Banned
Animal said:

You're welcome.
Just curious. Do only the sub machine guns have a higher rate of fire attachment?

Hyunkel6

Animal said:

You're welcome.
I have a hard time playing without Sleight of Hand, especially in FFA. I'll give it a try though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The Mac10 is crazy powerful. Without any additions it's more efficient at killing long-range than my Enfield or Famas. What the heck, Treyarch? I'm guessing the AK74u is even more accurate and damaging?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Am i the only one that enjoyed the campaign? It had its flaws but i thought it was pretty good.

I'm shocked there's a lot of positive feedback for the MP. I've had more frustrating moments of me unloading a FULL CLIP into someone, only for them to turn around and kill me with two or three shots, than in CoD4 or WaW (MW2 mp doesn't exist to me. I've blocked it from memory). I don't know if it's lag, or if the game is just wonky as hell the first week, but there's tons of bs that I'm surprised so many people seem to be ignoring.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:
I'm shocked there's a lot of positive feedback for the MP. I've had more frustrating moments of me unloading a FULL CLIP into someone, only for them to turn around and kill me with two or three shots, than in CoD4 or WaW (MW2 mp doesn't exist to me. I've blocked it from memory). I don't know if it's lag, or if the game is just wonky as hell the first week, but there's tons of bs that I'm surprised so many people seem to be ignoring.

Shits annoying but i think people are going to wait a few more days before getting too vocal about it. The first week is always a lagfest on COD.

R2D4 said:
Everyone is doing that dolphin diving shit now.
Its better than how it was in MW2. You could go prone form a full sprint and not have any impact on your accuracy or any delay in firing.

I dont really see a use for it other than extra mobility. It will not win you any firefights against a half decent person.

X26

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
Am i the only one that enjoyed the campaign? It had its flaws but i thought it was pretty good.

aside from the infinite enemy sections and embarrassingly bad AI I loved it. Pacing, set pieces, and even the story were great. It was missing a "WOW!" section though, such as CoD4's all ghilled up/one shot one kill

Thnikkaman said:
The Mac10 is crazy powerful. Without any additions it's more efficient at killing long-range than my Enfield or Famas. What the heck, Treyarch? I'm guessing the AK74u is even more accurate and damaging?

That is what Ive been saying. If you are a rush type close/mid range the MAC-11 absolutley beats the AK-74u gun to gun. At this point I am almost sure of it. The assault rifles really dont get good until you get to the AUG down IMO.

Edit - The MAC obstructs your view ALOT less, is faster ADS and probably an actual full second quicker to reload. It seems to have the same power as the AK74u at the ranges you would us it at with a high rate of fire.

bdouble

R2D4 said:
Everyone is doing that dolphin diving shit now.
Just like CoD4 for PC. No change there now its on consoles. Its really not that bad if you see it they can't shoot you. Just aim down.

CartridgeBlower said:
I think yeah it might be a little worse in this respect but everything else seems more in tune to me. Sure this and spawns are a little janky but those are things that can be patched more easily than something like killstreaks. I feel its more balanced than MW2 and just more fun.

Nabs

i'm having too much fun with these wager matches. i'm also enjoying hc tdm, and i hated it in mw2.

it seems like the lag spikes are fixed. i haven't had a single hard lag spike since the pc update yesterday. i just hope they work on improving performance for my friends so we can get more games in.

shuri said:
Instant regrets upon buying the PC version.. Running an imac 27 inches with an i7 860, 4gb of ram; I get embarassing framerates at native res. Now the game is complaining that I'm not online (?) What the.

Kinda wish my online rental of the 360 version had come in earlier...
what kind of card do you get with an imac? i'm getting really nice frames with my 860, but i have a nice card to go along with it.

Cobra84

Thnikkaman said:
No way the Mac11 is better than the FAMAS at any range. Same rate of fire, same recoil, and less damage.

The AK-74 has better recoil and more damage up close, but the same damage at range and a 20% slower rate of fire.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

AnnHog

Holy shit just went 45-3 :D Spy Plane-Blackbird-Chopper Gunner is beast. Got two Chopper Gunners and Blackbirds in the same game.

I think the spy plane is waaaay more key than using the RC. When I was using spy plane, my KD was around 1.5-2 for nearly every match. I started messing with the RC and it's dropped considerably.

You really don't realize how much the spy plane helps until you've played without it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Cobra84 said:
No way the Mac11 is better than the FAMAS at any range. Same rate of fire, same recoil, and less damage.
There's a Mac11 now!? May God have mercy on our souls!

I'll probably end up buying the PM63 with my CoDBucks because it looks so cool. Any experience in how it fires?

Edit: Oh, hold on a minute. I seem to have lost a level in progress as well as my Mac11. I only played a couple of hours ago too. :(

Cobra84 said:

The AK-74 has better recoil and more damage up close, but the same damage at range and a 20% slower rate of fire.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

Agree with you about the FAMAS. Have to disagree with the AK-74u up close to close/mid. The MAC-11 always,always performs better for me up close. My two SMG classes are MAC-11 and AK74u and I am starting to prefer the MAC-11, maybe its just weird personal preference and feel for the gun though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
NinjaFridge said:

The best one in COD series. But MW1 had more genuine WTF moments.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Cerrius said:
Barebones is such a nice change of pace. Feels like I'm playing CoD2 again. So good.

Barebones? You mean Core? The game neutered all the killstreaks & perks from the past COD games.

MDavis360 said:
Remember how in MW2 if you quit a game and then tried to join a new one- it would put you right back in the match you left?

That's gone. :D

I hated that in MW2, BUT I wouldn't rule it out being back in BO, just it's not happening as frequently.

Top Bottom