• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Cobra84

Anerythristic said:
Agree with you about the FAMAS. Have to disagree with the AK-74u up close to close/mid. The MAC-11 always,always performs better for me up close. My two SMG classes are MAC-11 and AK74u and I am starting to prefer the MAC-11, maybe its just weird personal preference and feel for the gun though.
I guess I should have said more damage per shot. The Mac11 is probably easily making up the damage difference with its rate of fire, but I don't want to do the math.

Weenerz said:
Galil + Supressor + Reflex scope has been replaced by FAMAS + Supressor + Reflex and it is glorious!
Assuming you have it, the AUG is better than both.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does anyone else sometimes not get a progress bar when uploading a render? I got one before, but it didn't go anywhere, so I just tried again, and it simply says uploading with no progress indicator.

Also, once you render is it uploaded to youtube, or where?

MrDenny

I was playing demolition (ps3) and this one guy (thepope67) couldn't die or kill anyone.
Everyone was trying to kill him, but nothing worked.
He chased me to the corner and I got stuck for about 3 mins because he wouldn't get out of my way.
It wasn't lagging either.

Gaogaogao

shuri said:
Instant regrets upon buying the PC version.. Running an imac 27 inches with an i7 860, 4gb of ram; I get embarassing framerates at native res.
there's your problem, you are giving your gpu (lemme guess, 4850?) and its 512mb of ram way too much work.

Getting increasingly frustrated with this game. The net code seems off, fuck knows if it's lag but it just seems off. Way too many WTF kills.

Also, fucking people who go prone whilst shooting....

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm still not feeling this and it's annoying me. :( Everything feels like a step backwards from the Modern Warfare games. In the SP there's nothing that's shocking or gripping me, and in the multiplayer I just find it a bit lifeless compared to the mad battlefield in the previous games.

I mean, I'm having fun, but there's no spark there. I was utterly addicted to MW/2 by this time after their releases.

I agree, I'm plating the MP a lot, but it feels hallow & soulless compared to MW2. 2 days in & I already feel like going back to the older CoD games.

The campaign is also by far the worst in the COD series, I can't believe how much of a step backward it is from World at War's large combat scenarios & MW2's scripted events.

The game is looking to be even worse than COD3 single player.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is anyone running this successfully on something like a dual core 2.5GHz CPU? I can OC to around 2.6 to 2.7, but anything above that instantly crashes my system.

paskowitz

zlatko said:
What's everyones thoughts about the multiplayer so far?

I'm very very unimpressed, and I'm unsure why the things I hate are happening so maybe someone can tech speak to me so I understand if this has a chance to be fixed:

1) Bullets seem to NOT register SO much. Even when someone is sitting 100% still and you start to rip at them to not miss a damn shot, it says bullets are missing. Headshots in this game seem 100% broken. I found an enemy sitting in spawn not moving and I went up close to his head with my red dot and pulled the trigger----NO headshot for 2 bullets. I was SMH so hard.

2) The lag issues and how it picks host are so bad. I've had games where my whole team is yellow and 1 bars, but the other team is 3 and 4 bars. I'm also having a consistent problem of getting all my friends together into games. Usually there is 4-6 of us and no matter what we pick it either drops one or two, or leaves us in an empty lobby that no one ever joins in.

3) Knifing seems to be a total crap shoot this time around. Whenever I get knifed I feel like they have Commando from MW2 on, but whenever I knife at chest level it won't come out. Is this caused from lag? The only times I feel like knifing is reliable is if you get behind someone.

4) The maps all feel very average to me. There isn't a really stand out map for me. Nuketown is a sin against man. I'll also throw in my complaint about spawns in this game here now that I mentioned Nuketown. This game has the WORST spawns of the COD series as far as I can tell. Non stop spawned with people behind me, or have enemies always popped up in my ass. Good lord.

5) Guns have an odd feel to them. I still haven't found one that clicks with me. Any suggestions Gaf on what's an OP beast? :D Does anyone here snipe on most levels? The combination of the map layouts and lag/bullet detection make sniping frustrating for me.

I guess that's all I'll hit on for now. I'll also quickly say that the campaign on Veteran was the worst of all the CoD games I've played. I hated it more than WaW's grenade spam enemies. From horrible vehicle sequences, to the you die in 1-2 bullets, to shotguns can kill you from 50+ feet away, to 100% worthless A.I buddies, to so many bull crap sequences left up to luck(Rooftops level at the end with you on your back with a pistol waiting for the van...FUCK that part), to just a very unimpressive told story, and sprinkle in that it was told in a bleh way.

Feels good to get that off my chest, and I hope Trey can put out a good patch to iron out the kinks soon. :(

FTWer said:
I agree, I'm plating the MP a lot, but it feels hallow & soulless compared to MW2. 2 days in & I already feel like going back to the older CoD games.

The campaign is also by far the worst in the COD series, I can't believe how much of a step backward it is from World at War's large combat scenarios & MW2's scripted events.

The game is looking to be even worse than COD3 single player.

This has been 100% my experience so far. The only think I like about COD:BO is that sniping is as it should be. There is no quick scoping, body shots are usually 1 hit kills, variable zoom (finally).

IF there is no patch or announcement of a patch that will fix these issues, I think I will just trade COD:BO in when I get GT5+PS EYE. Its funny, play COD:BO then play MW2. You will be like wow. Then play COD:BO and play BFBC 2. You will be like WOW WOW WOW!

Yeah I'm in agreement with the past few posts. The game is just off right now. Hope it gets cleaned up in just about every way over the next two weeks. Maybe that's asking too much.

Although the balance seems to be better, the actual game seems wonky.

-viper-

Banned
How the FUCK do I use the Valkyrie rockets? Everytime I fire one out, my player commits suicide. I've died 10 times in a row from trying to fire this P.O.S. killstreak.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-viper- said:
How the FUCK do I use the Valkyrie rockets? Everytime I fire one out, my player commits suicide. I've died 10 times in a row from trying to fire this P.O.S. killstreak.

Are you facing a wall?

yophlow

Banned
Just wondering if anyone else picked up that Mason is voiced by Sam Worthington? I picked it up pretty quickly, he has a unique Australian-trying-to-do-American voice, and I'm pretty proud that I got it so fast :)

-viper- said:

Just because you suck at doing it doesn't make it a piece of shit.

How hard is it to aim in the air, shoot it, and then guide it at an enemy?

rezuth

-viper- said:
Like.. up in the air..

Najaf

Just finished the Rolling Thunder finishing move challenge. That thing is a beast! I only have five more finishing moves left, three are from care packages. (grim reaper, death machine, and falling care package kill) The others are the gas kill and Gunship which I'll just do in FFA. I've been running with dogs mostly.

I'm sitting at 2.19 K/D right now after running FFA for the last several hours. It breaks down to something like 2200/1000. That is sure to drop again once I get back into my objective games. Just hit the 1k mark with the Galil as well and switched to the Commando. Both are so good. Galil still takes the cake, but I wanted to try some of the others before I prestige.

I roll with:

Galil/Commando
- hardline pro
- slight of hand pro
- last stand pro

- Frag
- Gas
- Claymore

- SR71
- Chopper Gunner
- Gun ship/Dogs

Once I hit 7 kills, the SR71 virtually guarantees the additional 3 to get to dogs. Its a great set up.

Can't play well at all tonight, half my shots not registering in the kill cams is not helping one bit.

If the first 360 patch doesn't help any then this game is heading to ebay, 'nuff said.

cameltoe

-viper- said:

hold the fire button down..

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
zero margin said:
no. It's the back button (360) on the lobby screen. It says Party privacy / search preferences

And another thing, it's seems much harder to get full player counts in games.
Playing Ground War & having only 11 people in the entire match from start to finish is ridiculous. Sometimes people would quit on out team & we would never get any replacements at all.

In MW, if mass amounts of people left the lobby, it would be seconds before every slot would be filled again or the remaining people would be merged with another lobby. With over 150 games played so far, I have never seen any two lobbies being merged when there were too few people to start the game.

It might be because the matchmaking servers are getting hammered, but still MW2 never had this problem.

Najaf

-viper- said:

Pro tip: fire it up vertically then curve it down so it becomes a predator missile. So many people fail trying to weave them in and out of corridors or around buildings. Its a guaranteed kill if you go straight up first. Just hold the trigger and watch the fuel gauge.

NinjaFridge said:
Am i the only one that enjoyed the campaign? It had its flaws but i thought it was pretty good.

Not as good as MW1's I think, but it beats MW2 by a wide margin. Then again, MW2's beyond retarded plot combined with dreadfully boring environments (yay we get to fight in a Burger King parking lot!) made it pretty crappy overall.

shuri said:
Instant regrets upon buying the PC version.. Running an imac 27 inches with an i7 860, 4gb of ram; I get embarassing framerates at native res. Now the game is complaining that I'm not online (?) What the.

Kinda wish my online rental of the 360 version had come in earlier...
Well what gpu does it have?

Cobra84 said:
No way the Mac11 is better than the FAMAS at any range. Same rate of fire, same recoil, and less damage.

The AK-74 has better recoil and more damage up close, but the same damage at range and a 20% slower rate of fire.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

Looks like what I expected - most of the weapons of each type are pretty much the same (there's no real practical difference between 35 damage and 45). Now that folks is how you're suppose to balance your game out.

-viper-

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Just because you suck at doing it doesn't make it a piece of shit.

How hard is it to aim in the air, shoot it, and then guide it at an enemy?
i've tried aiming in the air at least 3 times. i end up killing myself.

MarkMclovin said:
It has to be said that all assault rifles in this game suck. SMG's seems to make much more easier to get kills, even at a distance.

I have the complete opposite opinion. I much prefer using the FAL or AUG. I used to run with the UMP in MW2, but I cant find a SMG I like in this one...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is anyone else having an issue getting their rendered videos to show up on the theater page, and their youtube page?

I've rendered this clip twice and I still see nothing.

FTWer said:
And another thing, it's seems much harder to get full player counts in games.
Playing Ground War & having only 11 people in the entire match from start to finish is ridiculous. Sometimes people would quit on out team & we would never get any replacements at all.

I hadn't really seen much of that until today and it's been pretty bad. My last three games (TDM) were 4v3 or 3v3 the entire time. Nobody joined. That's one of the things I love most of cod mp is that join in progress and I'd hate to see that broken. Likely has something to do with player load I'm guessing.

MarkMclovin said:
It has to be said that all assault rifles in this game suck. SMG's seems to make much more easier to get kills, even at a distance.

Commando at level 44 is beast.

zero margin said:
I hadn't really seen much of that until today and it's been pretty bad. My last three games (TDM) were 4v3 or 3v3 the entire time. Nobody joined. That's one of the things I love most of cod mp is that join in progress and I'd hate to see that broken. Likely has something to do with player load I'm guessing.

Commando at level 44 is beast.

The Ak-47 and Commando have IDENTICAL stats except reload time which is kinda a wash.

DarthWoo said:
Is anyone running this successfully on something like a dual core 2.5GHz CPU? I can OC to around 2.6 to 2.7, but anything above that instantly crashes my system.

My laptop has an i5 2.4 Ghz dual core with an ATI 5650 and I just beat the campaign using most settings on medium at 1600 * 900 resolution.

lol nuketown has never ever ever ever come up in search and destroy and I actually quite like it in that mode. Today it not only came up, but it kept showing up in the list after the game and it kept getting all the votes and we ended up playing it about 8 times in a row. Good times :lol

People might hate the map in any mode that requires respawning but it's pretty fun in search.

Cobra84

Mr. B Natural said:
Looks like what I expected - most of the weapons of each type are pretty much the same (there's no real practical difference between 35 damage and 45). Now that folks is how you're suppose to balance your game out.
Are they really balanced? The Skorpion, AK-74, MPL, M16, M14, and AUG are either unique (Skorpion) or completely outclass similar guns (MPL > all 30/20 damage smgs).

zero margin said:
AK has more recoil on my copy of the game then.
Already been posted on this page but it apparently needs to be posted again.
http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

You gotta remember that it's random. You got a push pull probability. If you say, you use the famas once and then use it again, the sights pull vertical or horizontal will not be identical. So, it's easy to use something once or twice and say "Well, this guns got too much recoil."

But the stats, if these are accurate, which they are (it's the same guy that did the mw2 stats), the ak47 and Commando have identical recoil probabilities. Then again, if you look at the stats, you'll notice that just about all the automatic ARS are kinda the same with small differences.

There are far more influential factors going on in BO that may or may not decide a victor for a 1 vs 1 battle but I've already kinda beaten that horse.

Coldsnap said:
How come they added a jump prone? Didn't this ruin one of the battlefield games on pc?
Diving doesn't allow you to shoot until you land and come to a still so it's balanced rather well, it also makes some cool scenes diving through windows or out of the way of a grenade, it's not really that annoying in this game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand why you are
torturing clarke one minute
and then he's leading you to safety?

jobbidiar

HalfbrickPhil said:
Just wondering if anyone else picked up that Mason is voiced by Sam Worthington? I picked it up pretty quickly, he has a unique Australian-trying-to-do-American voice, and I'm pretty proud that I got it so fast :)

How could you not? he's one of the few Australian actors who can not pull off an American accent for the life of him :lol When i hear him in the game it brings a smile to my face hearing his aussie accent coming through :D

Eric WK

Oh god. Just finished a nine hour session with a bunch of GAFfers. Realized after fifteen wins that we were on a good streak and just kept going. Currently at 39 wins in a row, but I absolutely have to take a break.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
-viper- said:

:lol

you suck.

you should goto basic training sir.

Y2Kev said:
I don't understand why you are
torturing clarke one minute
and then he's leading you to safety?

dude wants to live also!

zam

MarkMclovin said:
Getting increasingly frustrated with this game. The net code seems off, fuck knows if it's lag but it just seems off. Way too many WTF kills.

Also, fucking people who go prone whilst shooting....
Sup dude! Me (gamertag: z4m) and aku:jiki (gamertag: DROGTURIST) played against you on Demolition on Jungle earlier today, cool to run into NeoGAF posters randomly in matchmaking :D

Top Bottom