• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Coldsnap said:
How come they added a jump prone? Didn't this ruin one of the battlefield games on pc?

It's not the same, you could literally spam it in BF, at least in COD you have to be sprinting, you can't spam it, and you can't shoot while doing it.

gibration

Alienshogun said:
Looks like MLG is dipping into COD now, I don't recall them bothering with the others.

Wonder if we will get an MLG playlist like in Reach too, that could be awesome.
I would love an MLG playlist.

-viper- said:
How the FUCK do I use the Valkyrie rockets? Everytime I fire one out, my player commits suicide. I've died 10 times in a row from trying to fire this P.O.S. killstreak.

You press it once to fire and don't need to hit RT again. If you want to hold it, don't let go and hold it again, because once it's fired hitting RT detonates it.

Eric WK said:
Oh god. Just finished a nine hour session with a bunch of GAFfers. Realized after fifteen wins that we were on a good streak and just kept going. Currently at 39 wins in a row, but I absolutely have to take a break.

Yeah, that was epic. Now I must lie down:lol

I know it's only three days in... but now I'm looking forward to the next CoD and hoping they get it right next time. :\

I played CoD4 exhaustively, rented MW2 and decided to skip it. I decided to buy this one and it's just not clicking with me.

I think the maps from CoD4 were better. And the weapons felt better to me as well. The maps here seem to really encourage running and gunning, don't they? At least, that is how everyone plays them, even with Search and Destroy.

Even little things I miss, like that metallic *plink* noise when you got a headshot.

I'm going to give it more time and learn the maps but if it doesn't click with me, I don't know if it's worth keeping just for the zombie mode.

Max

I am not Max
blindrocket said:
I know it's only three days in... but now I'm looking forward to the next CoD and hoping they get it right next time. :\

I played CoD4 exhaustively, rented MW2 and decided to skip it. I decided to buy this one and it's just not clicking with me.

I think the maps from CoD4 were better. And the weapons felt better to me as well. The maps here seem to really encourage running and gunning, don't they? At least, that is how everyone plays them, even with Search and Destroy.

Even little things I miss, like that metallic *plink* noise when you got a headshot.

I'm going to give it more time and learn the maps but if it doesn't click with me, I don't know if it's worth keeping just for the zombie mode.
If anything I believe this to be the true sequel to CoD4. The only big problem i'm having with it is the way spawns are determined, it seems to be completely off compared to 4.

Also, the plink is definitely there.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Holy shit, my love for this game shot up once I discovered the "Charlie" control scheme. It's the default controls with ADS mapped to RB and grenades mapped to LT. It makes it much, much easier for me to play as a disabled/one-handed player.

I don't think this was in any other CoD, was it?

Aigis said:
Holy shit, my love for this game shot up once I discovered the "Charlie" control scheme. It's the default controls with ADS mapped to RB and grenades mapped to LT. It makes it much, much easier for me to play as a disabled/one-handed player.

So how do you shoot?

KiKaL

Max said:
If anything I believe this to be the true sequel to CoD4. The only big problem i'm having with it is the way spawns are determined, it seems to be completely off compared to 4.

Also, the plink is definitely there.

Yeah I think I have to agree with you. I played a ton of COD4, a little bit of WaW, quite a bit of MW2 but this feels almost right again.

The spawns are bad but then again it actually makes it a bit more tense. It basically makes you feel as safe as you would in a FFA which I personally don't mind. I do hope they get it fixed but it's not a game breaker to me.

Aigis said:

Nom4d is similar and was patched into W@W (only on xbox I think), but Charlie is a new scheme, yeah.

REV 09

Just finished the campaign. That was the worst CoD since 3. I don't know how anyone could consider this a military shooter. I would like some ai in the next CoD please. CoD has never had good ai, but it has never stood out as much as it does in Blops.

When watching the killcam, I swear it seems like other people still have stopping power. They literally shoot me for a half a second and I drop like a fly, whereas on my end I put a full clip into them and nothing. wtf...this is getting ridiculous.

CartridgeBlower said:
When watching the killcam, I swear it seems like other people still have stopping power. They literally shoot me for a half a second and I drop like a fly, whereas on my end I put a full clip into them and nothing. wtf...this is getting ridiculous.

Yeah I experience the same thing every now and then. Fire off several rounds, get killed, then in the killcam I'm not shooting at all. Fucked up. Hope it gets fixed or whatever.

Stoney Mason said:
Give it a little more time.

That was my initial impression also but its starting to grow on me. Unlike some on GAF I really dig MW 2 and how it controls and how the guns feel. At first this felt really alien to me and quite slow and deliberate by comparison. But once I got a few guns and perks I liked and started adapting to it rather than trying to play it like MW 2 and being disappointed, its starting to grow on me. I still have complaints like the sniping and the party system but overall I'm liking it.

Also give the wager matches a try if you haven't yet. I think those are really fun and a great addition and oddly enough for some reason they remind me more of MW 2 although I don't know why... Maybe because they just feel more hectic. I normally hate free for all playlists but those are really fun.
See, I started out sniping in MW2 and was hoping to do the same yesterday in BO but that did not go well at all. I started to learn to run and gun in MW2 with the Famas but I could not do even remotely well yesterday. On top of that, I can't get any play time in because my brother's hogging the game despite us having two Xboxes and my buying two copies of BO and throwing a 12 month card on his desk. Fffff...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REV 09 said:
Just finished the campaign. That was the worst CoD since 3. I don't know how anyone could consider this a military shooter. I would like some ai in the next CoD please. CoD has never had good ai, but it has never stood out as much as it does in Blops.
I think I agree, but I can't make up my mind. I definitely enjoyed MW2 more than this. It has its moments, but some of the design is just so Treyarch. I think it might be better than WAW. I dunno. Sam Worthington takes a bit shit on every line of dialog for me :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
mysticwhip said:
Don't you only have 1 hand?
Yeah. I rest the controller on my lap at an angle (I do this with every game) and wrap my hand around the controller to play. Move the left stick with my thumb, the right with my palm, shoot with middle finger, ADS with index. I quickly move my index finger over to the left side if I need to throw a grenade/stun/smoke and put it back to where I had it after I throw it.

Before this new control scheme it was a lot more complicated and I probably couldn't explain it :lol

After WaW it's a rule of thumb to just skip each Treyarch entry. The mixed impressions only enforce that in my mind. Was gonna get it on 360 to play with friends but if party matchmaking isn't even working correctly, screw that.

Edit: typos

campers gonna camp :lol :lol

haha still makes me laugh, heard another "why the fuck do you shoot down our spy planes" from the enemy team after a match.

REV 09

Y2Kev said:
I think I agree, but I can't make up my mind. I definitely enjoyed MW2 more than this. It has its moments, but some of the design is just so Treyarch. I think it might be better than WAW. I dunno. Sam Worthington takes a bit shit on every line of dialog for me :lol
There are some cool moments and even a few new ideas for the series, but I think less would be a whole lot more in CoD. The pacing in the first half of the game is just a non-stop bulletfest. WMD is one Amazing mission though.

I often felt like a legitimate special forces badass in MW2. I feel like a 10yr old's vision of what that badass is in BO. It's just dumber. And MW2 wasn't aiming too high to begin with.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
REV 09 said:

Gotta agree, they took out the epic "war" aspect that every COD game had. All that is left are some super short scripted completely unmemorable fights.

Xux

jonnybryce said:
Can someone clear up the difference between red dot and reflex sight?

The difference is purely aesthetic.

TestOfTide said:
So how does the M14 compare to its COD4 counterpart? That gun was, for me, the best assault rifle in the game because of the OHK headshots and ability to restock ammo by killing snipers.

I dunno how the resupply system is in this game but you can't get a one shot kill with it even the multiplier is still there as if Stopping Power was still in the game for some reason.

Kyoufu said:
Can you ever have more than 1 claymore? In previous CODs I thought you could lay down several :/

The only was I've seen is through an Ammo Care Package. Don't know the limit on how many you can have but I don't hear my first blow up when I put down a second.

jonnybryce said:
The galil isn't great imo, I die a lot with it and don't get many kills. AK74U with grip is a damage dealer. Famas is alt, with Stoner when I need to mix things up. I'm hugely disappointed with light machine guns overall this time, I usually stick to them and dominate but I haven't had much luck with any, they suck. I miss my L86/MW2.

Yeah, they're kinda annoying this time.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
RadicalRad said:
After WaW it's a rule of thumb to just skip each Treyarch entry. The mixed impressions only enforce that in my mind. Was gonna get it on 360 to play with friends but if party matchmaking isn't even working correctly, screw that.

Edit: typos

WaW kicked ass. Had less scripting, but better gameplay than MW1 & 2.

Aigis said:
Yeah. I rest the controller on my lap at an angle (I do this with every game) and wrap my hand around the controller to play. Move the left stick with my thumb, the right with my palm, shoot with middle finger, ADS with index. I quickly move my index finger over to the left side if I need to throw a grenade/stun/smoke and put it back to where I had it after I throw it.

Before this new control scheme it was a lot more complicated and I probably couldn't explain it :lol
Nice improvisation. what's your K/D? :lol

Y2Kev

Yeah, a lot of the levels don't even feel like levels. The "story presentation" with the constant jumping around and flashing back and forth often makes things feel disjointed and extra set-piecey. It's like run through this hallway and then we'll move on.

-viper- said:
How the FUCK do I use the Valkyrie rockets? Everytime I fire one out, my player commits suicide. I've died 10 times in a row from trying to fire this P.O.S. killstreak.
This happened to me too. I would fire it into the air and would die instantly. I saved that game into my fileshare so that I could look at it later.

friskykillface said:
campers gonna camp :lol :lol

haha still makes me laugh, heard another "why the fuck do you shoot down our spy planes" from the enemy team after a match.

It's the moments like that I love about cod. It's great seeing someone shooting at you in vein as you wait for the indicator lock on beep to blow their killstreak out of the sky.

EDIT - fyi the decoy grenade is worth investing in for those that don't.

Risette

A Good Citizen
mysticwhip said:
Nice improvisation. what's your K/D? :lol
Right now it's at .86, I should improve now though because that's from yesterday, which was was my first day of playing and with the old controls. I discovered the new ones in the campaign which is what I've been playing all today.

Spookie

It's a shame Treyarch let the best gun in the MP be unlocked from the beginning.

I'm in love with the Olympia, red stock she's beautiful!

zlatko

Banned
I read up on what others were feeling and for the most part it seems I'm not the only one feeling this is not a step forward for the CoD series in too many places, which is a shame, because what they did add customization wise is great.

I just had a game where it spawned me 4 times on Firing Range by the same guy who kept killing me. Is there REALLY no other spot on the ENTIRE map it could pick other than the same one I keep getting shit on at?

Decent attempt by Treyarch, but they continue to hold the #2 team title.

-viper-

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
This happened to me too. I would fire it into the air and would die instantly. I saved that game into my fileshare so that I could look at it later.
Well, I tried them again on a different map and they work a treat. They're awesome!

Don't know what the hell was going on before, but everytime I shot one, I died. Weird.

Raiden

Banned
Man im getting better and better at this game, currently played all night hardcore, even though i do not like it as much as normal TDM im usually pretty good at it.

Got a 1.84 K/D ratio now, and even though people hate it when people say that, i only play Team Deathmatch, have not done any objective games yet ... so the K/D matters :p

Having a chopper gunner is one of the best multiplayer gaming moments ever, it is so much fun to destroy the other team, especially in hardcore it is a joke, and especially on hardcore nuketown .. good god.

ArjanN

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, a lot of the levels don't even feel like levels. The "story presentation" with the constant jumping around and flashing back and forth often makes things feel disjointed and extra set-piecey. It's like run through this hallway and then we'll move on.

I have to agree, IMO both Modern Warfare games had better campaigns.

A lot of the set-pieces come off as trying to hard and overall it feels kind of disjointed.

KaYotiX

Banned
Love the game but with everyone saying IW is better do they realize IW is basically no more? Treyarch is the new #1 at activision like it or not. And MW2 was a pos that could of been great but IW didn't fix it fast enough.

zlatko said:
I read up on what others were feeling and for the most part it seems I'm not the only one feeling this is not a step forward for the CoD series in too many places, which is a shame, because what they did add customization wise is great.

I just had a game where it spawned me 4 times on Firing Range by the same guy who kept killing me. Is there REALLY no other spot on the ENTIRE map it could pick other than the same one I keep getting shit on at?

Decent attempt by Treyarch, but they continue to hold the #2 team title.

How much of MW2 did you play out of curiosity?

zlatko

Banned
zero margin said:
How much of MW2 did you play out of curiosity?

I played it consistently for about 5 months? A lot of hours were put into it.

I still think that Infinity Ward did a better job with MW1 and MW2 when compared to WaW and Black Ops from Treyarch. I didn't play 1-3, so I can't really judge how that went in retrospect.

Y2Kev

ArjanN said:
I have to agree, IMO both Modern Warfare games had better campaigns.

A lot of the set-pieces come off as trying to hard and overall it feels kind of disjointed.
how many times does treyarch think "slow motion pistol kill" can be done and remain BADASS

i think it happens at least four times, and then add in room breaches

ArjanN

KaYotiX said:
Love the game but with everyone saying IW is better do they realize IW is basically no more? Treyarch is the new #1 at activision like it or not. And MW2 was a pos that could of been great but IW didn't fix it fast enough.

I'm looking forward to Respawn Entertainment's first game. :p

Because honestly, Black Ops isn't bad, but it's leaning on IW's legacy a lot. If Activision releasing making sequels like this they'll definately run it into the ground.

Y2Kev said:
how many times does treyarch think "slow motion pistol kill" can be done and remain BADASS

i think it happens at least four times, and then add in room breaches

This too, MW1 and 2 used them sparingly, they go way overboard with it in Black Ops, and none of them is even as good. A lot of the other setpieces also feel rehashed, like having a motorcycle chase instead of a snowmobile chase.

Top Bottom