• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

People liked MW2's campaign?

Y2Kev said:
how many times does treyarch think "slow motion pistol kill" can be done and remain BADASS

i think it happens at least four times, and then add in room breaches

The slow pistol thing and breaching was done far more in MW games. The breaching got ridiculous in MW2

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Seriously, how on earth do you join a private game whilst searching MM. How? That is a joke. Whoever does the matchmaking stuff at Treyarch really needs to find a new line of work.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I like how Activision hijacked this title. class acts over there.
I wonder if they'll attempt the same with Blizzard's titles.

REV 09

Y2Kev said:
how many times does treyarch think "slow motion pistol kill" can be done and remain BADASS

i think it happens at least four times, and then add in room breaches
I lost count of how many times I stabbed someone in the neck. It happened once in MW2.

ArjanN said:
I'm looking forward to Respawn Entertainment first game. :p
So am I. So many people universally like the original MW and then IW got too full of themselves with MW2 and thought they couldn't do any wrong. While I like MW2, the issues it has are really detrimental to the experience you're supposed to have when playing it. Hopefully this whole issue with Activison is the wake-up call to reality they needed and their first product will be amazing. I'm expecting it to go head-to-head with Treyarch's next CoD game in 2012. That should be interesting...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REV 09 said:
I lost count of how many times I stabbed someone in the neck. It happened once in MW2.
:lol

and the
nova 6 gas
level is something only treyarch could come up with. just absolute shit.

RadicalRad said:
After WaW it's a rule of thumb to just skip each Treyarch entry. The mixed impressions only enforce that in my mind. Was gonna get it on 360 to play with friends but if party matchmaking isn't even working correctly, screw that.

Edit: typos

Fail. Seriously. At least give the game a try - the graphics are a little off in some areas (gun models like the M16 look like BC2... cartoonish or bland). Otherwise, it's a superior game to MW2 in every way IMO. The party system, spawn bugs etc are all straight out of MW2... so if you could enjoy that, or it didn't bother you all that much - then Black Ops won't either. More importantly, the game plays so much nicer than MW2 due to the balance improvements and currency/customisation system that makes you invested in your weapons.

zlatko said:
I read up on what others were feeling and for the most part it seems I'm not the only one feeling this is not a step forward for the CoD series in too many places, which is a shame, because what they did add customization wise is great.

I just had a game where it spawned me 4 times on Firing Range by the same guy who kept killing me. Is there REALLY no other spot on the ENTIRE map it could pick other than the same one I keep getting shit on at?

Decent attempt by Treyarch, but they continue to hold the #2 team title.

Really? The spawn issues make it a 'decent' attempt? It's really starting to sound like the people bitching or putting the game down are really holding Treyarch to unrealistic expectations. Modern Warfare 2 was a glitchy, unbalanced mess of a game that seen some improvements over several months. The only thing it clearly outdid Black Ops in was the graphics/image quality... and possibly the sound on some weapons, footsteps etc. MW2 had the exact same issues with spawns as anyone else was having... and for anyone complaining about Nuketown, you need to go and have a match on Rust in MW2 to see the meaning of unfair spawns. If you don't spawn on top of a MLC knifer, or Noob Tuber, you are getting spawn camped by 1-3 people on the top of the building, or have someone spawn directly behind you 2 seconds after you kill them. Nuketown is an improvement if nothing else, as you can quite easily make it into the house, or into the garage on the side of the map, or even into the caravan/van/bus things in the middle for a little extra safety. Killstreaks of course are an issue on that map, but no worse than MW2 was on many of its maps due to the constant death from above in that game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I was a huge fan of MW1, hated WaW, really enjoyed MW2 despite its issues (the tubing became too much and I had to stop)... and Black Ops is easily the best FPS I've played (besides Reach) for a long, long time. It plays almost exactly like MW1/2 without the quickscoping, knifing, killstreak-rape, UMP45 bullshit. And to top it all off, it's the most feature rich CoD game by a mile, with some of the best designed maps I've played.

Who do I have to blow to get someone to share my Care Packages?

I really want to get Hardline Pro. Is there an official list of PS3 Gaf names that I can join? Free care packages for all! (well at least 10 of them.)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Everyone try this:

Zombie game. At a random moment run and dive. Watch as everyone proceeds to repeat the same move :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outside of a couple of levels, MW2's campaign was flat out terrible. IW's wanky bullshit, mediocre level design, and just plain boring.

In that regard, I'm finding the more creative and interesting levels of Black Ops more enjoyable.

But holy shit is the Vietnam stage a good contender for worst in the entire series. Its so, so, so bad.

I really have no idea why I keep playing these games.

MW2's campaign, while completely ridiculous and over the top, was very well done. Lots of fun shootout, certainly more than Black Ops, IMO. M2W wasn't as frustrating and each level just had a much better flow to it.

There were points in BO were I had NO IDEA what to do going forward. MW2 had far fewer of those moments (if any). It made sense what do do next.

I was playing the first level of the SP on PC. The house started to collapse before I could get out. I was stuck and it saved the checkpoint. Had to restart all over.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MW2 had No Russian, which instantly makes it terrible.

AcciDante

Why do dual guns come up so much in sharpshooter?! They shouldn't come up at all! When money is on the line, you shouldn't be fighting with spray and pray guns! RAGE!

DRE Fei

GhostRidah said:
I have been trying hard to unlock it, since I am not that good its going to take me forever.
No worries man. I haven't been playing much outside of combat training myself. It's really good for learning the maps. Hardened difficulty bots have a quick enough reaction time to make it challenging but not impossible to beat. They pull off some unreal shots most of the time because their aim is perfect, but their awareness isn't that great. I've even been quickscoped by the bot snipers! It's really fun. Just level up to 50 in combat training and it won't hurt so much when you prestige in regular MP. That's what I'm doing.

zlatko

Banned
Stripper13 said:

I wrote a few pages back a long post about things that bother me---not just spawns being bad. It's great you are having an orgasmic time with it and have placed it on a high pedestal, but some of us(myself included) do not feel it is the best in the series.

The game COULD grow on me, but the Q1 of next year is so full of new shooters it'll be hard if things like Killzone 3 or Brink or Ghost Recon are awesome.

zlatko said:
I wrote a few pages back a long post about things that bother me---not just spawns being bad. It's great you are having an orgasmic time with it and have placed it on a high pedestal, but some of us(myself included) do not feel it is the best in the series.

The game COULD grow on me, but the Q1 of next year is so full of new shooters it'll be hard if things like Killzone 3 or Brink or Ghost Recon are awesome.

That's fine - everyone is entitled to their opinion... but there seems to be a lot of '2nd rate' developer or "B" Team bullshit being thrown around. It's okay to not find it to be the strongest in the series, but it is objectively, an improvement in many ways over MW2 with the only real issues being some superficial graphic effects etc. My whole point whenever I respond about the game is to say that Treyarch did a great job, certainly on par with what Infinity Ward managed to do. That doesn't mean that they made the best CoD game ever - not at all - but the the comments regarding the ability of the dev team are unfounded... at least when talking about the 360 version :lol

Keyser Soze said:
GET TO THE TRENCHLINE
GET TO THE TRENCHLINE
GET TO THE TRENCHLINE
GET TO THE TRENCHLINE
GET TO THE TRENCHLINE

Fuck this shit on Hardened

playing the Vietnam mission with the trenches reminded me so much of WaW.

I hated those levels in WaW and almost me made not want to continue playing the BO on Veteran.

same mission:
The part where you have to go down the hill and kick the napalm drums was fucking awful on Veteran. Fucking squad would let enemies by without even shooting them.

HokieJoe

zlatko said:
I played it consistently for about 5 months? A lot of hours were put into it.

I still think that Infinity Ward did a better job with MW1 and MW2 when compared to WaW and Black Ops from Treyarch. I didn't play 1-3, so I can't really judge how that went in retrospect.

Ehh, they did in some ways. MW2's story was a muddled, stupid mess. MW's was marginally better. WaW's story didn't matter as much because the history wrote everything for them.

I ended up playing WaW more than the other two because of it's campaign co-op mode. Yes, it's a weaker graphically than either MW, but then, I found the subject matter more interesting. I find that period of history very intriguing anyway. For me, it's the same with Black Ops, which I definitely like better than MW2. Black Ops has the most variety of any COD game IMO.

BTW, the last time I flew a Hind was in Operation Flashpoint (the original). :D

bdouble

Pookaki said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42lTjY7XkQ

Yup, the FAL is probably the most underused gun in the game. Yet it is very, very good. :D
ahh this is what I like. Just like CoD4. One post its all SMG. Next its AK47 and then its the single shot.

I feel capable with everything I've used so far.

Anyways I just unlocked Bare Bones and sort of wish they had a mod that was no kill streaks but just attachments and perks. Call it stranded or no support. This would be nice. Even something with just no lethal kill streaks would be an even better mix for me. Might just try out classic mode though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
user_nat said:
Seriously, how on earth do you join a private game whilst searching MM. How? That is a joke. Whoever does the matchmaking stuff at Treyarch really needs to find a new line of work.

i joined someone in theater and got the achievement while matchmaking... :lol

edit:happened again except i joined combat training from mercenary tdm matchmaking

zlatko

Banned
-.- People are fucking douche bags. Playing Hardcore S and D, and a team mate thought it'd be "cool" to blow up my claymores each round when I plant them, then plant his. Finally I had enough and unloaded to the back of his head.

Serves him right and I wish I could boot people for stupid shit like this in games.

iNvid02

zlatko said:
-.- People are fucking douche bags. Playing Hardcore S and D, and a team mate thought it'd be "cool" to blow up my claymores each round when I plant them, then plant his. Finally I had enough and unloaded to the back of his head.

Serves him right and I wish I could boot people for stupid shit like this in games.

its so hard to find decent team mates now, especially in hardcore modes
try and party up with friends you know wont fuck you over

ExtraKr1spy said:
same mission:
The part where you have to go down the hill and kick the napalm drums was fucking awful on Veteran. Fucking squad would let enemies by without even shooting them.

That's what I am playing now.....

I did not know I had to do that, and have been stuck there for the last 40 minutes dieing cause of respawing enemies

zlatko

Banned
iNvidious01 said:

its so hard to find decent team mates now, especially in hardcore modes
try and party up with friends you know wont fuck you over

Yeah I usually have 2-3 buddies, but that still leaves 3-4 spots of possible dbags.

mYm|17|

Retarded AI and Infinite spawns sucks ass

I am playing on Regular now and just charging into rooms going crazy shooting everybody :lol

Keyser Soze said:
That's what I am playing now.....

I did not know I had to do that, and have been stuck there for the last 40 minutes dieing cause of respawing enemies
Go to the barrels with the C4 on them and knife them, should help. Of course the game doesn't actually tell you this, it just says

GO TO THE TRENCHLINE

THE TRENCHLINE MASON

and

ENEMY AT THE TRENCHLINE

Edit: beaten, still, very poor game design with an incredibly unclear objective. Campaign wise I think Treyarch took a step back from W@W.

Relix said:
Everyone try this:

Zombie game. At a random moment run and dive. Watch as everyone proceeds to repeat the same move :lol

:lol :lol :lol

My buddy was doing this last night on Kino Der Toten, at the top of the stairs, all the way down. It was hilarious.

I would have had no idea about the barrels without checking here. What a terrible mission. No idea how that could through playtesting

Thanks for the help :)

Top Bottom