• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

D23

beat the sp player today!!
i thought this was the best CoD sp! i enjoyed it from beginning to end.
sam worthington did a great job as mason

Loxley

So I just unlocked the Stoner (the fourth and final LMG) and good christ finally an LMG worth using. So for those concerned that all four of the LMG's were going to be useless, fear not; the Stoner is awesome. Very accurate, very little recoil & high rate of fire. It's a shame you have to waste 4000 CP in order to unlock it : /

X26

Banned
Dresden said:
Stakeout feels weak. I keep having to shoot guys three, four times to kill, whereas it's very rare for the Olympia to do that. I hear the Spas is even worse in that regard. What's the classified shotgun like?

Used them a bit playing around in combat training, they didn't seem all that great. You can dual wield them though

Loxley said:
So I just unlocked the Stoner (the fourth and final LMG) and jesus christ finally an LMG worth using. So for those concerned that all four of the LMG's were going to be useless, fear not; the Stoner is awesome.
I was using the Stoner for quite a bit but it's definitely not an easy gun to use. It's recoil is really inconsistent.

Community guy basically just said you need to listen better and that nothing is wrong with the sound in the game regarding footsteps. But they're gonna tweak it anyway. :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BattleMonkey said:
People liked MW2's campaign?

yes, I always wanted to look into the eyes of these people. May be I would get this ability to love the turd too and then expand my gaming horizons!

Loxley

buy teh haloz said:
I was using the Stoner for quite a bit but it's definitely not an easy gun to use. It's recoil is really inconsistent.

I'll admit I've had little experience with it (literally two matches, albeit they were two very successful matches :D) so my opinion could change as I use it more, but my knee-jerk impression is that it's already worlds better than the other three.

AppleMIX

kyo_daikun said:
Domination and Hardcore are the modes I seem to get the most XP from, for COP just keep doing the easy contracts every 40 minutes when you can, guaranteed like 125 COP for the easiest.

Yeah, that seems to work.

One problem, I did the win a FFA match and it didn't unlock.

nib95

Banned
subversus said:
yes, I always wanted to look into the eyes of these people. May be I would get this ability to love the turd too and then expand my gaming horizons!

The second half was very good imo. Just the first half that that lacked.

ultron87

subversus said:

If you can get past the batshit insanity of the plot MW2's campaign has lots of awesome moments.

And the Oil Rig - Gulag sequence is probably my favorite CoD level of all time.

subversus

ultron87 said:
If you can get past the batshit insanity of the plot MW2's campaign has lots of awesome moments.

I stopped caring about the plot when I got to 1/3 of the game since it went to the "beyond ridiculous" territory, but it was dull gameplay and the lack of WOW moments that made me stop. Black Ops plot is also ridiculous (at least it's coherent) but it's gameplay that pushed me through. I was enjoying it while MW2 felt like work and when I got Makarov's mansion (his name was Makarov, right?) and there was this part with the notebook... Damn, I just gave up. There was a ridiculous part in the first Vietnam level when you had to go down the hill and I wanted to complete it because I wanted to see more awesome moments and scenarios. The only exciting part about MW2 is the Washington level. Yes, that part was memorable.

Man i cant get an open nat on this, forwarded all ports these same settings were fine for open nat on mw2. Are people still getting kicked out of friends games and partys?. I know i am was annoying last night all on ps3.

Dilly

Banned
subversus said:
I stopped caring about the plot when I got to 1/3 of the game since it went to the "beyond ridiculous" territory, but it was dull gameplay and the lack of WOW moments that made me stop. Black Ops plot is also ridiculous (at least it's coherent) but it's gameplay that pushed me through. I was enjoying it while MW2 felt like work and when I got Makarov's mansion (his name was Makarov, right?) and there was this part with the notebook... Damn, I just gave up. There was a ridiculous part in the first Vietnam level when you had to go down the hill and I wanted to complete it because I wanted to see more awesome moments and scenarios. The only exciting part about MW2 is the Washington level. Yes, that part was memorable.

The ice level was also memorable to me, but that's probably because it reminded me of the good days of Splinter Cell.

ultron87 said:

Did you ever play Cod2? The two part Hill 400 mission is the pinnacle of the series.
In my opinion.

subversus

Dilly said:
The ice level was also memorable to me, but that's probably because it reminded me of the good days of Splinter Cell.

yes, that one was good too. Favelas on the other hand... :lol But Favelas got the good tense ending and that's the only good thing about them.

2real4tv

Sinatar said:
call-of-duty-finest-hofhsx.jpg

codblackops10cz4w.jpg

Yea man... Totally see where you're coming from.
Doesn't look like that on my TV you guys must be playing the PC version it a mess IQ wise.

Dumb question, but do they release patches on weekends? :eek:

In my opinion the whole thing is fine. SP is very good, better and way more interesting than the MW2-SP. MP presents the problems most people already talked about e.g. the graphics are not as good as in MW2-MP and there's definitely a network-problem (giving you completely green bars, yet it's still lagging).

What part of critisism I absolutely don't get is the sound. In my opinion it's way better than MW2's (MP and SP!).

zlatko

Banned
Black Ops for me single player "memorable" moments will be the frustrating parts I think in the long run.

The good parts I felt were down to two parts for me:

1)
When you parachute off that mountain during the avalanche.

2)
When you catch up to Steiner and Reznov says, "I AM VICTOR REZNOV, AND I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!"

Those two parts stand out for me.

Also, to the peeps who were hating on Swastika emblems earlier...why would you in this game? It's in the co-op all over the place, and World at War was covered to the brim with them. Kind of would be funny if Treyarch sent out a ban hammer for it when they use it in their games.

I'm not finished with the BO campaign yet, but I would already take it over MW2 at this point. The storytelling, and general "framing" of the Michael Bay picture they painted here is way more interesting than MW2's barrage of insane moments with an incoherent plot. The only memorable part of MW2 was the White House section.

CoD4 still has the throne for best CoD campaign though. The pacing for each of these games has been completely off since then. Constantly balls to the wall with no suspense or build up. In MW2, and even in BO, they're just attempting to get the most possible set piece moments into the game without giving the player a chance to breathe, and in the process completely blend everything into one huge bro-fest that you can barely remember at the end of a level. Less is more in this case.

2real4tv

This is more like what Iam seeing, on the right...look at the ground textures they look even worse in person:

2yphq82.jpg

I knew about the res drop but this is bad very bad thought the upscale would look much better on my tv..I was wrong.

alba

Little is the new Big
Pookaki said:
I have heard rumors that you can keep your emblem after prestige, is this true?

You only keep your emblem & playercard background & money when you prestige :)

Dresden said:
Stakeout feels weak. I keep having to shoot guys three, four times to kill, whereas it's very rare for the Olympia to do that. I hear the Spas is even worse in that regard. What's the classified shotgun like?

Yeah Spas is shocking, right up in peoples face and it take 3 blasts, at first I thought it was because of the supressor, took it off and still takes a few shots, god knows why the shotties are primarys now, there weak as fuck.

zlatko

Banned
:lol Community for this game is too stupid it's funny. I just got bitched at in Hardcore S and D for planting the bomb by my own team mate. "Why the fuck would you plant?" "Because that's the objective?" "Why are you doing it so fucking fast without saying anything?" "I keep saying where I'm running to, but all of you guys want to do is talk about shotguns and crossbows." "...yeah but you have no kills." .... at this point I muted him. :/

So I linked the Theater to my youtube account the other night, and selected PSN. Now I want transfer some vids from the 360. Do I have to unlink then re-link if I want to upload clips from XBL?

2real4tv said:
This is more like what Iam seeing, on the right...look at the ground textures they look even worse in person:

Comparisonpic.jpg

I knew about the res drop but this is bad very bad thought the upscale would look much better on my tv..I was wrong.

*Right Click, Save As*

I have 3-4 mates who bought the PS3 version and are 100% sure that as (they think) the PS3 is the superior machine, that their version of Black Ops looks better. I've had one over since I got the game and showed him the 360 version and he told me his looked better... I don't want to go out of my way to show them the error of their ways, but if they start bagging on my decision to get the 360 version (to play with the 10 or so friends who have it on 360) I have something to show them.

I tried to link them to the Digital Foundry comparison but they more or less put it down to being a load of bullshit.

Dresden said:
Wow, Treyarch. Way to go buffing dogs. Jesus.

11 killstreak?

In all honesty I'm happy that it is next to Gunship as the worst killstreak I'll have to deal with. I can hardly see people trying to 'dog-boost' it just doesn't sound as punchy as nuke-boosting.

nib95

Banned
Stripper13 said:
11 killstreak?

In all honesty I'm happy that it is next to Gunship as the worst killstreak I'll have to deal with. I can hardly see people trying to 'dog-boost' it just doesn't sound as punchy as nuke-boosting.

Dogs have barely been a problem for me. I've killed off 3-4 in a row before. Just back yourself in to a corner with no other other entry points and go for headshots. They down pretty easily.

Dresden

Stripper13 said:
11 killstreak?

Makes me wish I got that instead of chopper gunner... what's two more kills, after all? I didn't know they killed in one hit now. It's an instant loss because people think you can run away instead of hunkering down and shooting them down. So they die like lemmings and the team is down by 1000 when they're done.

2real4tv

Stripper13 said:
*Right Click, Save As*

I have 3-4 mates who bought the PS3 version and are 100% sure that as (they think) the PS3 is the superior machine, that their version of Black Ops looks better. I've had one over since I got the game and showed him the 360 version and he told me his looked better... I don't want to go out of my way to show them the error of their ways, but if they start bagging on my decision to get the 360 version (to play with the 10 or so friends who have it on 360) I have something to show them.

I tried to link them to the Digital Foundry comparison but they more or less put it down to being a load of bullshit.

Could of got the 360 version but I no longer have Live <face palm> got to save money for a good gaming PC. Also sorry to muddle up the thread.

Add me if anyone want to play:

Bigmanny287(no mic)

Brian Fellows said:
I've only encountered dogs twice in 250 matches. Only died from them once.

Think im about the same, when they were called in against my team they seemed to go after everyone else but me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat the single player tonight. As a high-level premise/storyline, I liked it MUCH more than every other CoD. Following one Black Ops soldier throughout his career is a great way to throw together a wide variety of missions without it feeling random. The intrigue and mystery layered on top was just the icing on the cake.

Much less happy with the gameplay, though. Treyarch simply doesn't seem to be quite as talented as IW. Or else they just had a smaller budget. In any case, the graphics, the voice work, the QA & overall level of polish... they're all a step or two below the Modern Warfare line. All the vehicle segments especially, while sort of fun in a diversionary way, are just really rough. Soooooo tired of infinite monster closets, too. It's like it's 2000 and not 2010.

Despite digging the storyline more, I'm probably more likely to replay MW1 and MW2 thanks to this increased care put into the gameplay, and because no one does set pieces bigger than IW. I mean... fighting to take back the White House? Where could COD single player scenarios possibly go from there?

kitch9

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Yeah Spas is shocking, right up in peoples face and it take 3 blasts, at first I thought it was because of the supressor, took it off and still takes a few shots, god knows why the shotties are primarys now, there weak as fuck.

The underbarrel shotty is awesome, I struggle to roll without it....Drops dudes in one at cqc, no problem.

rodvik

Any idea on how to turn OFF voip like the last CODs? I dont want to mute individuals I just want it completely off. Help?

kitch9 said:
The underbarrel shotty is awesome, I struggle to roll without it....Drops dudes in one at cqc, no problem.

Going to have to give it a go, I can see how it would be useful in close up situations with an AR to switch to the masterkey.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
_Alkaline_ said:
I can't stand Wings for the most part, but he is right on the money here. His video sums it up perfectly. It's fucked.

Just had a game on Cracked like this. Except I'm obviously better than this fellow because I went 21-9.

kitch9

Banned
Stripper13 said:
*Right Click, Save As*

Welcome to the world of joe six pack.....

Its why we can bitch and moan as much as we like on forums and in the end it will make fuck all difference...

kitch9

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Going to have to give it a go, I can see how it would be useful in close up situations with an AR to switch to the masterkey.

Yup, I switch to masterkey as soon as I go indoors and I win a lot more encounters than I lose....

The more and more I play this, the more frustrated I'm getting. More people are just starting to camp, and when I get into a one-on-one gunfight I will ALWAYS lose. :(

Top Bottom