• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Dilly

Banned
No, now I can't join servers. When I refresh my list it shows about 10 servers, when I join them I either get a message that it's full even though it wasn't showing that in the description or it just keeps on connecting infinitely.

MechDX

Quick help please:

In single player: the part in Vietnam where you have to swim up to the small boat and knife the two VC in the boat. I have tried from all angles and always get spotted and it ends the level. How do you knife the guys in the boat from the water???

aristotle

MechDX said:
Quick help please:

In single player: the part in Vietnam where you have to swim up to the small boat and knife the two VC in the boat. I have tried from all angles and always get spotted and it ends the level. How do you knife the guys in the boat from the water???

Do it faster. I had the same issue. Pop out of the water and hit R3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MechDX said:
Quick help please:

You should get an on screen prompt when you're in the right spot.

jlevel13

Diablohead said:
This game is so annoying, glad I have mw2 coming on the post, fuck this game.

Good luck with that - MW2 is filled with so much more absurd, annoying bullshit your post is cracking me up.

HokieJoe

ArjanN said:
The plot in Black Op is like three times dumber than MW2.

The only really unrealistic thing in MW2 is Russia invading the US.

in Black Ops:

the same thing happens!
But then there's also the brainwashing part.

Allmost all of the setpieces also had a more polished presentation in the previous 2 modern warfare games, which made them easier to swallow.

Not really. MW2 was fun, but for a series that strives for believability in their environments and weapon behavior (yes, that has problems as well, but it's a video game) MW2 was too fantastical IMO.

The USSR didn't attack the US in Black Ops. And your point about getting brainwashed is wrong. The brainwashing part is believable because it has happened.

Read your history.

MechDX

Hyunkel6 said:
Are you swimming underwater until you get to the boat?

Yes. Ive seen the prompt a coupls times but I felt I was still too far underwater to do the action. Maybe I just have to do it sooner?

I'm not realy a fan of fps Singleplayers anymore, maybe im getting old. Killing dumb lifeless npcs over and over again has lost its charm so multiplayer is my way to go.

- Online Zombies not working at all
- Theater not working at all

- No button to stop servers refreshing and list disappears if and when server says its full.

so yeah looking good so far

edit: AKS-74U destroys everything, maybe i try other guns when i go prestige later today

ArjanN said:
The plot in Black Op is like three times dumber than MW2.

The only really unrealistic thing in MW2 is Russia invading the US.

in Black Ops:

the same thing happens!
But then there's also the brainwashing part.

Allmost all of the setpieces also had a more polished presentation in the previous 2 modern warfare games, which made them easier to swallow.

:lol

MW2 has one of the dumbest plots in gaming. Saying "The US is invaded by Russia" is massively understating MW2's ridiculousness. I reiterate:

Modern Warfare 2 had a plot centered around Russia pulling off a full-scale invasion of the US within 48 hours of a terrorist attack and somehow the General of the United States Army was calling the shots the whole time or something colossally retarded like that, I dunno, I stopped paying attention after the mission where I jumped over a 400ft wide canyon in a snowmobile.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MP doesn't work on PC at all. I can't connect to any server. I tried playing with bots and found out that the stuttering issue is clearly a lag issue and not a CPU or GPU one. Haven't experienced a single hitch during the bot match.

I'll wait for patches then. What a shame.

ColeTheMole said:
edit: AKS-74U destroys everything, maybe i try other guns when i go prestige later today

Nope, I'm level 44 and nothing compares to it in the short and mid range. Maybe it's the grip attachment, not sure. 3/5 custom classes have it as the primary weapon because it is so versatile.

.nimrod

I just noticed that not only do you get warped around the map when it's laggy, but also the aiming is juddery as well. That wasn't the case in the previous games, it might make the framerate seem worse than it actually is.

aku:jiki said:
[..]Makes Vonderhaar's conceited comments funnier. He's all "I fixed quickscoping, I'm awesome!" but in the end all he did was make regular sniping impossible while quickscoping is just fine. :lol :lol[..]
:lol

oh btw, did you see what i suggested earlier about the dlc maps?

Mik2121

Holy mother of god, I'm playing the campaign and this has got to be the worst thing ever.

Tons of cheap kills, the teammates getting on my fucking way every time and letting pretty much every enemy go straight to where I am without even touching him...

I will finish the campaign just because I want the trophies, otherwise I won't ever go back to it. Yuck!

Also what the fuck is the deal with all the flashing things every now and then when Mason is remembering things or the voiceover guy is talking to him? That shit seriously hurts my eyes while playing at night...

KORPAH

Neo Member
I think sniping is just fine in this game. Sniping shouldn't be easy like MW2... it should be challenging because otherwise it would be overpowered. I do agree, however, that Black Ops needs more maps with better snipe lines.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Anyone else have really bad problems with the matchmaking if you're in a party of 4 or more? It takes about 20 minutes for the matchmaking to put the entire party into a game.

aku:jiki

.nimrod said:
Ah, no, I missed it, thanks! That sounds like a good (and much faster) solution... How would I forward the internet to the Xbox? And do I just plug an ethernet cable directly between the laptop and 360? I'm on a laptop with wireless so that should work out? I'm not great at this kinda stuff but it sounds doable and like something I'd love to try. :D

rodvik

MDavis360 said:
I don't think there's a way. I've looked everywhere.

Damn thats annoying. Weird feature to remove, it was present in the last 3 COD's at least.

Turning off the voip removing the bigots and assorted detritus that make up FPS players is the first thing I do in a shooter. ack :(

On maps with 2-story buildings I love jumping out of windows using the new dive-to-prone move. One day I will get the final kill in mid-air doing that and it will be GLORIOUS.

Outdoor Miner said:
On maps with 2-story buildings I love jumping out of windows using the new dive-to-prone move. One day I will get the final kill in mid-air doing that and it will be GLORIOUS.

Except you're locked out from doing anything else during the animation. :lol But it's a good thought.

Are there any workarounds at all for the stuttering issue in SP? I'm running on an i5-760 with a GTX 460 1GB OC, Win7 64 bit, and it's pretty unplayable. Drops from mid-90s to low 20s every few seconds.

Hesemonni

Banned
Treyarch SP > IW SP.

Over and out.

E: Actually this might be my favorite CoD SP ever. I'm not sure if it's because of the let down that is MW2 or mediocre tediousness that is MoH 2010...

Ergh, fuck the RC. Three kills? Even the Predator in MW2 needed five and you were safe from it indoors. I've gotten to the stage where I just accept a death when 'enemy RC' comes up. That isn't right anyway you swing it.

More importantly, I feel it's ruining the game for the people who actually want to play it properly. You rarely get spy planes because people are so fucking bloodthirsty for that one goddamn kill that they just go for the RC instead. Really gets my goat.

So this experiment taught me camping isn't caused by the desire to get killstreaks, its the desire to get kills in general (shocker!). It feels like at least half the time I die its by a dude hiding on the stairs or in the corner. I want my awesome chaotic stacking killstreaks back please, camping won, experiment over.

.nimrod

aku:jiki said:
Ah, no, I missed it, thanks! That sounds like a good (and much faster) solution... How would I forward the internet to the Xbox? And do I just plug an ethernet cable directly between the laptop and 360? I'm on a laptop with wireless so that should work out? I'm not great at this kinda stuff but it sounds doable and like something I'd love to try. :D
I'm on a mac right now, so i can't give you detailed instructions how to do it in windows but i found this tutorial:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=398615

I hope it's still up to date :)

Jrmint

So I just started playing the multiplayer this morning, and I've only really used the MP5k and that first Assault Rifle you unlock, forget it's name.

The MP5k seems pretty good, but that AR is shit.

Question is:
What are the best SMG's and AR's to get as I progress? I don't want to waste credits buying every single one if they aren't worth it.

Thanks a bunch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Skel said:
So I just started playing the multiplayer this morning, and I've only really used the MP5k and that first Assault Rifle you unlock, forget it's name.

Question is:
What are the best SMG's and AR's to get as I progress? I don't want to waste credits buying every single one if they aren't worth it.

Thanks a bunch.
For SMGs the MP5k is really good as is the AK74u. For assault rifles I love the FAMAS and the Galil. The Galil has become my all purpose gun.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Skel said:

Question is:

Thanks a bunch.
Get the AK47u, for either you just want something with good damage and a high rate of fire. I don't bother with anything but the AK47u, none of the maps really require a long range weapon.

.nimrod said:
Exactly, how can you "snipe like a real sniper" when the maps offer little to no sightlines at sniper ranges.

Well, it feels like QS and noscopes are easier in Black Ops than normal sniping. I made more kills that way in my last match than by regular sniping. Unfortunately, the theater isn't working for me right now.

Yeah, but during the initial sway and sometimes when your moving, the bullet goes anywhere on the screen.
I don't want them to get rid of the sway, i just wanna see it so i can account for it. The bullet should always hit the center of my crosshair while i'm looking through the scope, anything else is bullshit.

Can I just say how stupid I find the argument that 'Quick scoping is not realistic so it has to go.'

Theres about a million things I can say about this, but im just going to say: By your logic, shouldnt pretty much all the weapons be changed to be more realistic? If the AR, SMG and Shotgun gameplay comes across as realistic to anyone in this game then LOL.

Black Ops (and games in general) have the ability to put fun over realism, when you put realism over fun in a largely unrealistic game thats quite silly. A lot of people say quick scoping was broken, but surely they could have just fixed the aim assist issues rather than what theyve done?

This mini rant comes from someone who doesnt even snipe! Im just worried by these top level decisions and how theyre going to impact the rest of the game down the road in sequels.

.nimrod

bobs99 ... said:
Can I just say how stupid I find the argument that 'Quick scoping is not realistic so it has to go.'

Theres about a million things I can say about this, but im just going to say: By your logic, shouldnt pretty much all the weapons be changed to be more realistic? If the AR, SMG and Shotgun gameplay comes across as realistic to anyone in this game then LOL.

Black Ops (and games in general) have the ability to put fun over realism, when you put realism over fun in a largely unrealistic game thats quite silly. A lot of people say quick scoping was broken, but surely they could have just fixed the aim assist issues rather than what theyve done?

This mini rant comes from someone who doesnt even snipe! Im just worried by these top level decisions and how theyre going to impact the rest of the game down the road in sequels.
Dude, i'm not against quickscoping :lol
The "snipe like a real sniper" was just something Dave Vonderhaar or Josh Olin said.
And it's still possible to a certain extent.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
bobs99 ... said:

I'm pretty he was not arguing against quickscoping.

I've fallen in love with the PM 63 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PM-63_RAK

I'm working my way through the sub machine guns during my first prestige run. When I first purchased it I was miffed that there are no scope options, or a silencer, but I run it with the grip and extended mag and its amazing. I play hardcore so I don' know how it would stack up in the core modes.
Any of you guys that like subs (and can stomach using the iron sites) should give it a shot.

TheOddOne

I want to love the multiplayer portion of this game, but its not giving me that love back. Went in and got my ass handed to me, everybody has those matches.

Then the next match I go 20-3 and feelin' happy. On to the next match, get my ass handed to me again, but this time getting insta killed constantly.

Killcam shows that I did not shoot the guy, while I know I put half a magazine into him. While looking at the killcam, he just shoot me like he's just passing by looking at daisy's.

This is bullshit that they released the PC version its state. It's so annoying to play with constant stutters and frame drops. My computer should be able to handle this stupid piece of shit. Ruins an otherwise enjoyable game. Hopefully patches are able to fix this abortion of a port.

I'm stuck in the campaign.

I just finished the boat section and I reached the crash site with Woods and Reznov. I walk up to the waypoint but then nothing happens. Woods and Reznov just stand there.

What can I do?

EDIT: Steam version

cameltoe

Im done with this fucking game! The lag on the 360 is fucking incredible...now I cant find any servers on the PC version!!!!

I dont think Ive had one match with 4 bars through th entire match!

Top Bottom