• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Alienshogun said:
You'd also think they would have just used triangulation to figure out where the broadcast was coming from. :lol
Oh see I thought
the broadcasts hadn't started yet, and by the time they did it would have been too late. But they knew about the numbers so I don't know.

moai

can you bring a guest online (xbox) or only a 2nd profile? because that way it says that the second profile is not allowed because it's not gold.

Ballistik

moai said:
can you bring a guest online (xbox) or only a 2nd profile? because that way it says that the second profile is not allowed because it's not gold.
You sign in the second person as a guest, they get access to all your current classes

moai

Ballistik said:
You sign in the second person as a guest, they get access to all your current classes

thanks. didn't see the sign as "guest" when i was browsing my console profiles.

so I just unlocked the contracts and I was wondering how they work...

I noticed that the there was a timer in the bottom right that said in like 6 hours or so the contracts would change.
Now I understand that means that the contracts you can buy will change, but do the contracts that I just bought expire after that same time period or do those contracts last until I buy a new contract for that contract category, or do they last forever? and I can buy multiple new contracts

I'm thinking they last until I buy a new contract for that category (given the fact that there is only 1 slot per contract category) but I wasn't sure.

snack said:
Did a 2nd patch just get released for the PC version?

nope, nothing came through Steam for me at least

Contracts have timers. When you go over each category / contract you can see how much time you have left to complete it. A lot of them are at about 40 mins of gametime.

RJNavarrete said:
Contracts have timers. When you go over each category / contract you can see how much time you have left to complete it. A lot of them are at about 40 mins of gametime.

got ya, that's cool. I like that risk/reward system.

I'm glad they have some sort of expiration.

J-Rzez

I saw people posting patch notes for the PS3. When's that being deployed, because right now the lag is really killing this game and it direly needs to be addressed. It's still crazy though, there's no excuse for a game with 12 or less people to lag this bad and have this bad of hit detection these days.

-viper-

Banned
The most annoying thing is the LACK OF SECONDARY PLAYER SIGN IN. Do Treyarch have official forums or a Twitter account?

Can someone please ask them to patch in the secondary PSN ID sign in for online split screen?

:p

I don't know what's going on today but I'm a step slow at all times, it's not noticeable lag but I basically lose almost every confrontation unless I catch them completely by surprise.

360 vers.

X26

Banned
Mayyhem said:
AK47 is such a damn beast, I dont see myself needing a new AR. How are the Commando and G11 compared to it?

G11 is the best AR in the game for medium/long distance imo

Smokey

Alienshogun said:
He rattles off the numbers at the very end and it breaks down to a date, and place. That's when you see the picture of Kennedy and him in the background.

question about alien's explanation about the numbers :

so the whole sleeper agent thing was just a cover?

cameltoe

LeMaximilian said:
Stats time...

Wins 235
Losses 115
Ratio 2.04
Best Winstreak 47

Kills 10158
Deaths 3102
K/D 3.27
Acc 20.57
Best Killstreak 21

Fav weapon, Galil k/d 2.74

You mst have a connection from God! I leave soooo many matches because the lag is fucking unbearable.

I don't know what's going on today but I'm a step slow at all times, it's not noticeable lag but I basically lose almost every confrontation unless I catch them completely by surprise.

360 vers.

you aint alone brother

Haven't played single player yet, I really don't care for FPS SP games.
Zombies is pretty fun tho.

Mutiplayer is fun, but still prefer BFBC2.
So many aspects of BFBC2 trump BO but I can see the allure of BO to the masses.
It's nice to have BO since its something my 9 yr old can play competitively. Easy to use guns, generous amounts of auto-aim, spawning atop each other for increased action and easy kills for noobs to snatch up, simple to use 1 hit kill weapons etc...
I think its pretty cool how main stream and easy CoD mutiplayer has become, its nice to play a MP FPS and not get angry or feel "pwned".
Oh course for real competition and and such I'll slap BFBC2 in but to blow of steam and have a laugh CoD is great.

It's like BFBC2 gameplay is NBA Live while CoD is NBA Jam, very toungue in cheek assisted gameplay.
This is why I love listening to the shit talkers in the lobby, you'd think they just won gold at the Special Olympic.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so lag on PC seems to be partially fixed again. Had a couple of tense sabotage matches.

Once again I turned the tide of the battle by caring the bomb to the enemy base through the house in the middle of the map (I don't remember the name of the map, it's on the beach). It was the first time I've played on this map. Both tunnels were blocked by enemy team and the bomb was caught into crossfire. I used a flashbang and a frag to divert enemy attention, picked up the bomb and RAN back to our base, then accidentally found the road to this house and ran up just because I had to run somewhere. Then I caught up with the teammate and he led the way. We planted the bomb, they defused, tryed to carry it away but then dropped it and I picked it up again falling from the roof of the house.

So we held them in their base, took all strategic positions on roofs, in the warehouse and in the house and planted the bomb, this time successfully. This game is more adrenaline-fueled than BFBC2, that's for sure.

cameltoe said:
you aint alone brother

Thanks brother. I just had the most embarrassing killcam death, maybe worst ever. I see this sniper with his back to me from way out so I sprint to him, he turns right before I knife and literally runs right by me with my knife totally missing him. At this point he still hasn't seen me that's how close I was behind him, so he takes off running and I start shooting, missing every shot, he starts climbing a ladder and I'm STILL not hitting him, I guess then he notices I was shooting at him so he does this matrix-esque jump off the ladder, and two shots me with his pistol.

.nimrod said:
Exactly, how can you "snipe like a real sniper" when the maps offer little to no sightlines at sniper ranges.

THIS THIS THIS.

It's like Treyarch thought "Oh, well, they overpowered the sniper class in MW2 so much, let's go to the complete other direction, that will help!!!!1"...

Oh and I LOVE the story of the SP. Especially the part way up north
in that Arctic Nazi-base
was amazing. :OOO

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
zero margin said:

360 vers.

I feel you man. My connection has been a little better the last days. But it was just as you describe it the previous 7 days.

Dilly

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Snipers can suck it. Always hated them in just about every FPS I've ever played. Good riddance!

It feels great not getting killed by hidden snipers all the time.:lol

Seriously, screw wasteland from MW2.

Jrmint

Meier said:
I don't like the weapons, I don't like the perks and I hate the upgrade system. This blows compared to MW2.
This is my biggest complaint with the game. I don't understand why you need to pay to get the guns, perks, grenades, etc. Just give us the upgrades and let us *pay* for the cosmetic stuff if you want it. Just getting the shit while you level up has worked fine every other time, I don't see why it needed to be changed.

The maps are alright, except for Jungle. Please people stop voting for that, it is horrible. I don't get why people like it so much.

DuckRacer

Couple of things;

-Campaign was decent, though that one Vietnam barrel mission is absolutely awful. As a full product it's better than MW2 or WaW's campaigns, but MW2 had far more memorable set pieces. (MW2 had No Russian, the entire US invasion, breaking into and out of the gulag, etc. Blops has... uh, breaking out of the gulag.)

-Multiplayer maps are pretty good. Launch reminds me of a larger Ambush, Havana reminds me of a smaller Crossfire. Nuketown is a decent map (far better than Rust or Shipment) but it really needs to get out of TDM and be relegated to S&D and FFA. And Team Tactical. Haven't been able to form a full opinion on them all but there's nothing glaringly terrible.

-CoD points system is pretty mediocre. Want an emblem on this gun? Spend points. Want an emblem on that gun? Spend more points. Part of CoD4-onwards' multiplayer philosophy is the whole carrot-on-a-stick approach, and in Blops you don't feel that impetus to level up and unlock stuff at all. It's just... there.

-AK74 + warlord with a grip and rapid fire is ridiculously overpowered. It's about as bad as the UMP45 if not worse. Why did Treyarch give an SMG a grip?

-Sniping is literally pointless, they went too far adding sway after you scope in. You're always better off using an assault rifle with an ACOG.

-In general the multiplayer hasn't really gripped me at all. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and not as frustrating as MW2, but it lacks the elements that keep me coming back. I dunno, we'll see if this improves.

Animator

Mayyhem said:
AK47 is such a damn beast, I dont see myself needing a new AR. How are the Commando and G11 compared to it?

Commando is the best weapon in this game by far. It is deadly and accurate in any range.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Smokey said:
question about alien's explanation about the numbers :

so the whole sleeper agent thing was just a cover?

No. The sleepers were awaiting the signal order to unleash the Nova gas.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
LeMaximilian said:
Stats time...

Wins 235
Losses 115
Ratio 2.04
Best Winstreak 47

Kills 10158
Deaths 3102
K/D 3.27
Acc 20.57
Best Killstreak 21

Fav weapon, Galil k/d 2.74

Wins 128
Losses 134
Ratio 0.95
Best Winstreak 1 (This is BS I know my friends and I won at least 5 or 6 in a row last night)

Kills 2693
Deaths 1832
K/D 1.47
Acc 17.95

Fav Weapon Galil 706 kills
Best Killstreak 15

Any Groundwar fans find it almost unplayable because of the spawns? Surprised I don't see more talk about it.
If you have flag A or C there is no way the enemy should be able to spawn behind those flags. There it is right in my theater showing it over and over again. Same shit happens in Team Deathmatch. Was so excited to play this all night tonight but I get even angrier at horrible spawning than ElPresador gets angry at campers.

Spl1nter

subversus said:
This game is more adrenaline-fueled than BFBC2, that's for sure.

On average COD is more "adrenaline-fueled" and features more action but it cannot compare to great battles in BC2 conquest or rush where its squad(s) vs squad(s) fighting over a single piece of territory. Sadly those arent as common due to the way pubs interact on servers. When you get two great squads fighting over a piece of territory reviving, spawning on teammates slowly changing the flow of battle, gaining an advantage the amount of action is extremely high. A strong flow of battle in BC2 is better then the COD spawn and engagement system. However, a strong flow of battle doesn't always occur, while the basic COD spawn and engage game play is always present. Most of the reason boils down to basics of map and gameplay design.

In general BC2 suffers from run and gun mentality, especially in conquest. People like to always be going to capture points and never defend a point even when you control 2 of 3 points. Main reason for the lack of strong engagement and flow of battle in BC2. The average player has a very poor concept of positioning and strategy on a map. This doesn't have as large of an effect in COD due to the smaller overall map design, spawn system and game mechanics.

Overall COD has a pretty high guaranteed level of enjoyment and fun due to these mechanics. Battlefield as everyone knows is simply amazing when playing with friends but doesn't have that guaranteed enjoyable experience

Sporran

Just finished my 360 Veteran run. Have to say not as defining as MW for me, that game defo set the bar. None of the ones after have beaten it.

But great game, great atmospherics and specially the retro music, loved it.

Hit 3 pinch points, one being the hill but overall i didnt think veteran was that hard.

Really liked it, now for the multi and rest of the achievements.

Top Bottom