• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Eric WK said:
Yeah.

I honestly can't believe this argument still takes place in FPS threads.

Except all the times where a player who only goes for kills drastically hurts your chances of winning. I can't tell you the number of times I've been on a team where the game is super close and winning is within grasp, and then you see that one dude on your team just sniping fools but letting everyone else walk right by him to capture the flag. They hurt more than they help, and I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.

Blair

Banned
:lol even i told him that GAF are not going to like the fact that he has done sod all objective wise

CartridgeBlower said:
Except all the times where a player who only goes for kills drastically hurts your chances of winning. I can't tell you the number of times I've been on a team where the game is super close and winning is within grasp, and then you see that one dude on your team just sniping fools but letting everyone else walk right by him to capture the flag. They hurt more than they help, and I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.

Granted, camping in objective games 90% of the time is a complete drain on the team, but every so often you face a team that is so utterly shite, going out of your way to punish them is not going to be a detriment to the overall win. But thats rare. But it happens.

snap0212

Diablohead said:
snap0212 said:
GAF Logo in Black Ops: Step by step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhhvUUelvd4

I hope this helps everyone who had problems with it. :) I sometimes changed the colors of the layers to show you where they have to be placed, in case you're wondering why the triangles are sometimes green.
GAF world domination!
Haha. Thanks again for showing me how to do it. Mentioned you credit in the video description, of course. :)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:

Probably because we have different experiences but hey, what does matter.

Anyway, the end of the game implies that there are other "Manchurian Candidate" operatives in the US as the numbers are still being broadcast by the woman from an obviously secure location. Personally, I do believe that Mason did kill JFK as at one point the game refers to Oswald as a failure or something to that effect.

When you are strangling Dragovich, and Mason says "You tried to make me kill my own President", Dragovich replies "Tried?". Sounds like he did make Mason kill JFK but Mason can't remember.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Weird game breaking situation just happened to me while playing the PC version of Campaign...on the seventh mission...
Playing as Hudson and you are fleeing along the rooftops with Carter, there is the point where you slide down the drainage pipes, two enemies below, kill them and run down till you get to that spot where you slide down this roof in slow motion to kill a bunch of dudes...well no one went with me...like at all. I killed the two enemies below and just went running, no one followed me.

Raelson

eternaLightness said:
I don't think I'll ever get a good demolition game. I get in and see the other team has like 50+kills each and the team I'm on has like 50 deaths each, I just leave since obviously no one is going for the objective.

So for the mp has been up and down with me. I can see it taking awhile longer to get the hang of than with past CoD's. I finally unlocked the AK74u and it's probably the best gun so far.
I think a lot of people are playing Demolition because the spawns in TDM are fucked up.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
I just found out earlier that Ballistic Knife equipped when you knife makes you lunge forward like Commando did in MW2. Can someone confirm this?

I tried it in sticks and stones wager match and it sure as hell felt like I went 10+ feet forward to stab people. If so, that'd explain why so often in other game types I felt like I was getting shanked from too far. Granted lag issues could have also been an influence in the whack assetry of it.

Quoting myself to see if I can get an answer from Gaf if this is the case or not.

Just upgraded to Tactical Mask Pro. I heard one of my teammates say, "Who's this guy throwing all the gas around?! I'm going to kill him multiple times." Sorry, guy. :D

Now I only have Second Chance Pro and Scout Pro (which I'm not even going to try for). You couldn't pay me to prestige.

Nelo Ice

Banned
W1SSY said:
I was trying to get hardline Pro with randoms and I couldn't get any of them to take the care package even with me telling them over and over on the mic. Luckily I got into a game with my friends and got it pretty easy.

yeah so much easier when to get hardline pro with friends since they'll grab it if u tell em to

Tamanon

Banned
Man, I just unlocked the Kalil and replaced my Enfield with it, immediately I just started wrecking folks. That thing can cut down people and doesn't burn through the ammo like the Enfield does.

acksman said:
Which game has the better single player game? MoH or BO?

My time is fairly limited so probably can't do both.

I like MoH's single player more simply because it goes for a more realistic approach. There are some cool moments in Black Ops and it's more of an action movie like how MW2 was. In terms of fun and intensity, I'd have to go with Black Ops though because of the variety.

CartridgeBlower said:

To be fair that picture shown was of Domination right? And if your team capped 2 points early on its likely that you will spawn kill the hell out of them and rarely lose an objective.

People who REFUSE to touch the objective out of fear of dieing suck, but in domination he quite honestly did help the team that game.

EDIT: For the dude that asked which game had the better campaign, maybe im looking through rose tinted glasses, but CoD4 was still the best I think.

zlatko

Banned
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Yes, this was an intentional decision. They mentioned it a few weeks/months ago.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's good to have clarity and now I'll def. be using ballistic knife more on classes when getting into close range room skrimishes. :D

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair that picture shown was of Domination right? And if your team capped 2 points early on its likely that you will spawn kill the hell out of them and rarely lose an objective.

People who REFUSE to touch the objective out of fear of dieing suck, but in domination he quite honestly did help the team that game.
That was Headquarters. The maximum score in Domination is only 200.

Visceir

NinjaFridge said:
When you are strangling Dragovich, and Mason says "You tried to make me kill my own President", Dragovich replies "Tried?". Sounds like he did make Mason kill JFK but Mason can't remember.

I wonder how a mission where you assassinate JFK would have compared to "no russian" in regards to controversy.

Anyway, finished the SP game too. Game was shit, bad story, stylistic choises like the constant seizure inducing flashes when entering a dream were awful. The "press x to reverse the car" was fucking ridiculous. Stupid AI, I usually just ended up sprinting next to the enemies and shooting them from the side while they were still facing the wrong direction. Graphics look dated. + some treyach gimmicks (fire) that reminded me how awful WaW was.

Disguises

Quick question: Can you only have 6 slots for saved clips or can I save more to my hard drive or something?

Edit: Ah, do the rendered clips get uploaded to the "my theatre" area of the website without limit? (more than 6)

Max said:
How is breaking from the chair and using the
DOA code
revealed to you? Gathering all the intel?
If you dick around in the command prompt, you can change the directory and find all kinds of files on the computer: the doa game, Zork, pictures, music, emails... All kinds of stuff. Type help to see your options.

But that's once you've gotten out of the chair, I don't know how you were supposed to figure that one out.

kmg90

Visceir said:
I wonder how a mission where you assassinate JFK would have compared to "no russian" in regards to controversy.

Anyway, finished the SP game too. Game was shit, bad story, stylistic choises like the constant seizure inducing flashes when entering a dream were awful. The "press x to reverse the car" was fucking ridiculous. Stupid AI, I usually just ended up sprinting next to the enemies and shooting them from the side while they were still facing the wrong direction. Graphics look dated. + some treyach gimmicks (fire) that reminded me how awful WaW was.

Yeah this is gotta be the WORST COD single player campaign ever... the characters were annoying, the "interactive" scenes were CRAP "press L1 to break glass"? "Press R1 to punch"? are you kidding me?

The Graphics yeah were pretty dated, the snow effects that were in MW2 are not included for some reason in BOPs for some reason...

Also someone said Black Ops single player is better than medal of Honors, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! The voice dialog is top notch and believeable in MOH the story is actually followable (with no SEIZURE-inducing flashback sequences), and the AI (friendly and enemy) actually had believable behavior, I lost count of how many times I've gotten killed FOLLOWING a squad mate and have them completely ignore and walk right past enemies that completely ignore them also that in the end SHOOT ME!

In MOH you could believe you were in a squad of elite soldiers, in Blacks Ops it feels that if you weren't there they wouldn't last one mission.

vazel

Banned
I have to agree that sp campaign was the worst I remember playing in any FPS game. The way it was structured and the story was all bad. Can't believe Goyer wrote that shit but then again he also wrote Blade Trinity.

Animator

The worst thing about the sp is the 20 minute long "interactive" on the rails cutscenes like walking into the pentagon. I was mashing buttons repeatedly hoping to skip but apparently you have to suffer through bad acting and seizure inducing flashbacks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Animator said:
The worst thing about the sp is the 20 minute long "interactive" on the rails cutscenes like walking into the pentagon. I was mashing buttons repeatedly hoping to skip but apparently you have to suffer through bad acting and seizure inducing flashbacks.

I enjoyed those :lol

Nice change of pace.

REV 09

Animator said:
The worst thing about the sp is the ai. It has never been this bad before, and it actually ruins the experience this time around. I can't get a mental idea of where the "frontline" is in a firefight because my teammates will run past enemies without either one noticing the other.

Animal

Banned
Animator said:

I like those moments when they are well done. They were well done in this game.

kmg90

Animator said:

That basically sums of the experience of the singleplayer campaign, too much control taken away from the player to present the games sub-par story as a "cinematic experience sort of like a Metal Gear Solid 4 from hell (but with a bad story and the LONG cut-scenes are unskippable)

The part where Reznouv is explaining the origin of nova 6 is another unskippable moment I wish I COULD skip!

I laugh at the fact they used Gary Oldsman's voice TWICE! I also want to point out that I HATED Reznov in WaW (CHURNAV this..... and CHURNAV THAT.... I was ready to turn voice volume off, I got so sick of his raspy yelling voice)

To have Reznov most of the campaign of BOs was like a WaW reunion FROM HELL!

02573064.jpg

Queens of the Stone Age

FN FAL is bad ass.

I was initially kinda shitting on the Assault Rifles but there are actually quite a few good ones. It looks like the M16 will finally not be my Assault Rifle of choice in a COD game. It's one of the lesser ones actually.

ScrubJay

velvet_nitemare said:
Do killstreak rewards count towards your kill streak. Like if i get an RC-car, then blow up 2 people do i automatically get napalm?

Nope, they took that out of this game. In all other COD's it would have worked like that.

X26

Banned
prestiged, took a lot less time than in mw2 and is about the same as in cod for me dunno if I'll do it again though

kmg90

I'm just glad they got rid Tactical Nuke, the main reason why I gave up on MW2 muliplayer, people glitch to the outside the map making them unkillable they get 25 kills then boom, insta-win (EVEN WHEN YOU WERE WINNING WHEN THE NUKE WHEN OFF)

X26 said:
prestiged, took a lot less time than in mw2 and is about the same as in cod for me dunno if I'll do it again though

I was initially gonna prestige when I was told you get the extra class slots for each of the first five prestige levels. But then when I got the game I found out that wasn't the case. It's like MW 2 where you get one every other level. And that essentially killed any interest I had in prestiging. Especially with the pro perks where you have to do some very specific things to get those benefits.

Forgot it. Once I unlock everything I'm done with that. I wish you could buy the extra class slots with COD Cash even if it was alot of cash. But I'll have to make do with 5 slots.

zlatko

Banned
Question about the regular chopper: Why is it so crappy?

Usually I'll wait for a spy plane to give away the area I should place it at/near, and hope for kills but it seems like the thing only gets 2-3 kills at best. To add to this the damn thing lingers on screen for SO LONG forcing other team mates to not be able to call in their air streaks.

I kind of wish the thing lasted for 15 seconds and just did 6+ kills fast, then left. Is there any way to make it more effective? Does it not shoot Ghost users? (If so that stinks since a huge population of the game is using Ghost)

kamspy

can someone direct me to a list of all the dev console commands? I got the FOV fix figured out, but you have to reenter it every time you load a level (dying included). I'd like to find a way to bind it to a key.

I just got my PC copy today and it looks great. Luckily I got in after the patches and don't have any of performance issues on a relatively modest machine (Phenom 955, 275 gtx, 14x9 res).

I think it's great. The 360 version didn't have me convinced (finished SP and scratched MP a little), but aside from a rough launch, Treyarch brought the goods on the PC sku. I know it's stuff that should be in every FPS and once was, but the dev console, lean and server browser area all really nice to have. There's even a FOV slider in the MP options (that doesn't work yet:p).

I like COD games. This is Treyarch's best COD. There's are still some horrible levels. Someone needs to dig around and found out which level lead does the ones with the waves of enemies and bland backgrounds. SP is almost a tale of two games. Some levels are fantastic and some are straight out of COD3 ("push back NVA forces" fuck you too!). The good outweighs the bad though. Just played a couple MP games and didn't have any perf or lag issues, so unless it get's ruined by unchecked exploits that's looking really good too.

Great game. Worth the $10 premium even. I love the COD formula and I'm a PC elitest. Kiss my ass Jaded PC-GAF. ;)

X26

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I was initially gonna prestige when I was told you get the extra class slots for each of the first five prestige levels. But then when I got the game I found out that wasn't the case. It's like MW 2 where you get one every other level. And that essentially killed any interest I had in prestiging. Especially with the pro perks where you have to do some very specific things to get those benefits.

Forgot it. Once I unlock everything I'm done with that. I wish you could buy the extra class slots with COD Cash even if it was alot of cash. But I'll have to make do with 5 slots.

and with ranking up being so quick, by the time you get some pro perks you're at 50

other than extra classes, doesn't seem to be much else besides the prestigeicons foryour playercard and colored clan tags, the playlistand leaderboards as wellbut I really don't care about those so I doubt I will do it again

RedSwirl

I just finished the SP. Not bad in my opinion, but still not as good as COD4. At this point I'm starting to think the franchise will never give us another SP campaign as good as COD4.

This might make some of you guys think I'm crazy, but I would've bought COD4 even if it had no multiplayer. I still feel like I can go back and enjoy that game's SP even after playing through THREE successive iterations. WaW was just bland, and the MW2 and BO campaigns were good but not nearly as memorable.

I really don't know what it is. Maybe COD4's campaign was just the "purest" experience and the subsequent games just tried to lay too much on top. BO's "interactive cinematics" are a perfect example. They didn't ruin the experience for me, but it did feel like the designers were thinking harder, not smarter. MW2 had the same problem but not as bad. COD4 however rarely, if ever took total control away from you.

Maybe it's the story. I'd say BO has one of the "least bad" storylines in Call of Duty. MW2's story and plot were crap. COD4's story was also crap (if you can actually remember it), but its moment-to-moment plotline was actually quite good and didn't get in the way of the gameplay.

If I decide to buy BO (I rented the 360 version), I buy it for multiplayer on PC. From what little I played of MW2 I liked its multiplayer improvements on top of COD4 but couldn't condone IW's treatment of the PC version. If BO retains all that and I can find a good server, then it might still be worth buying.

kamspy

RedSwirl said:
I just finished the SP. Not bad in my opinion, but still not as good as COD4. At this point I'm starting to think the franchise will never give us another SP campaign as good as COD4.

It might be a long time before we see any action FPS with a better campaign than COD 4. It's one of the best games ever made.

X26 said:
and with ranking up being so quick, by the time you get some pro perks you're at 50

other than extra classes, doesn't seem to be much else besides the prestigeicons foryour playercard and colored clan tags, the playlistand leaderboards as wellbut I really don't care about those so I doubt I will do it again

Agreed. I mean I like that doing it has some benefits like the gold and chrome camo and such. I think its good to incentivize some of that stuff as its smart design but its nothing I feel I must have or will go out of my way to get. I just wish I had the extra class slots. Because I really like to experiment with a lot of different setups and when you switch modes to search and destroy I have to re-spec everything.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
kmg90 said:
That basically sums of the experience of the singleplayer campaign, too much control taken away from the player to present the games sub-par story as a "cinematic experience sort of like a Metal Gear Solid 4 from hell (but with a bad story and the LONG cut-scenes are unskippable)

The part where Reznouv is explaining the origin of nova 6 is another unskippable moment I wish I COULD skip!

I laugh at the fact they used Gary Oldsman's voice TWICE! I also want to point out that I HATED Reznov in WaW (CHURNAV this..... and CHURNAV THAT.... I was ready to turn voice volume off, I got so sick of his raspy yelling voice)

To have Reznov most of the campaign of BOs was like a WaW reunion FROM HELL!

Gary Oldman is awesome.

I shall not hear a bad word about Gary Oldman.

Gary Oldman.

What do you guys think of the AI? This is honestly my first Cod game (played half of 2 and 3 levels of modern warfare) Ive played and I find the enemies to have an uncanny ability to spot you and shoot you and they are endless and cheap, is this indicAtive of the franchise or what? Honest question

RedSwirl

kamspy said:
It might be a long time before we see any action FPS with a better campaign than COD 4. It's one of the best games ever made.

I should note that COD4 was my SECOND favorite FPS campaign that year, the first being HL2 Episode Two (they're about the same length).

Top Bottom