• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I never comment on balance or anything but I cannot believe spawns in this game. Just completel wacky.

kamspy

NinjaFridge said:
Gary Oldman is awesome.

I shall not hear a bad word about Gary Oldman.

Gary Oldman.

37221silent_bob.gif

I'm damn near positive I hear Ice Cube in this is game. Confirm? If so, I better Ice T is a salty motherfucker.

sflufan

Banned
Domcorleone said:
What do you guys think of the AI? This is honestly my first Cod game (played half of 2 and 3 levels of modern warfare) Ive played and I find the enemies to have an uncanny ability to spot you and shoot you and they are endless and cheap, is this indicAtive of the franchise or what? Honest question

The terms "AI" and "Call of Duty game" are mutually exclusive. Simply put, there really is NO AI in the CoD series, only respawning bots to provide the challenge where actual AI would normally be.

This has been the case since the first game in 2003.

kamspy

Domcorleone said:
What do you guys think of the AI? This is honestly my first Cod game (played half of 2 and 3 levels of modern warfare) Ive played and I find the enemies to have an uncanny ability to spot you and shoot you and they are endless and cheap, is this indicAtive of the franchise or what? Honest question

It's pretty much how it is for the series. It's summer popcorn movie, not SWAT 4. It is what it is.

RedSwirl said:
I should note that COD4 was my SECOND favorite FPS campaign that year, the first being HL2 Episode Two (they're about the same length).

Not even really the same genre. COD is pure action FPS. Half Life is more adventure FPS.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
I never comment on balance or anything but I cannot believe spawns in this game. Just completel wacky.

I know, it's pretty fucked.

1. Spawn
2. Run out
3. Get shot by guy spawning behind you
4. Spawn
5. Run out
6. Kill guy who killed you
7. See step 3

Y2Kev

NinjaFridge said:
I know, it's pretty fucked.

1. Spawn
2. Run out
3. Get shot by guy spawning behind you
4. Spawn
5. Run out
6. Kill guy who killed you
7. See step 3
SpeedStar, whoever he is, and I just spent an entire match killing each other. I'd kill him, he'd spawn behind me, kill me, I'd respawn, I'd kill him, etc. And this happened in the same part of a gigantic map.

This is so ridiculous. And why are footsteps gone?

zlatko

Banned
Domcorleone said:

World at War and this both have some horrdenous A.I and methods to kill you that are 100% cheap. World at War was massive amounts of grenade spam against you so you just constantly die.

This game you die in 1-2 bullets, weapon range is thrown out the window in campaign(shot guns can literally hit you like a truck from 50+ foot range and I'm not exaggerating), enemies are programmed to rush you if you reload/cook grenades, etc. The fact none of the enemies miss you, can shoot at impossible angles, can infinite respawn in various areas in the campaign, and are not at all effected by your allies team A.I is 100% retarded. The team A.I really stuck out as the worst in the CoD series I've played. Numerous times on my attempt to rush down to the trench line at the top of the hill while the NPCs talk the 2 guys on the left would let soldiers just waltz on up to me and crap on me, while other times they'd not let them get close.

Modern Warfare 1 was a great experience even with infinite enemies respawning, and while Modern Warfare 2 never killed me cheaply it also didn't challenge me one bit.

TL/DR:

No it's not indicative of the franchise as a whole, but they've never really struck a great balance to challenge you in smart ways.

kamspy

I haven't had any instances of that spawn issue happening with frequency. I think it's just peppered in there to make sure everyone gets a couple easy kills and had a good time.

Raiden

Banned
Y2Kev said:
SpeedStar, whoever he is, and I just spent an entire match killing each other. I'd kill him, he'd spawn behind me, kill me, I'd respawn, I'd kill him, etc. And this happened in the same part of a gigantic map.

This is so ridiculous. And why are footsteps gone?

There is a perk that silences footsteps.

Or did you mean something else?

zlatko said:
World at War and this both have some horrdenous A.I and methods to kill you that are 100% cheap. World at War was massive amounts of grenade spam against you so you just constantly die.

This game you die in 1-2 bullets, weapon range is thrown out the window in campaign(shot guns can literally hit you like a truck from 50+ foot range and I'm not exaggerating), enemies are programmed to rush you if you reload/cook grenades, etc. The fact none of the enemies miss you, can shoot at impossible angles, can infinite respawn in various areas in the campaign, and are not at all effected by your allies team A.I is 100% retarded. The team A.I really stuck out as the worst in the CoD series I've played. Numerous times on my attempt to rush down to the trench line at the top of the hill while the NPCs talk the 2 guys on the left would let soldiers just waltz on up to me and crap on me, while other times they'd not let them get close.

Modern Warfare 1 was a great experience even with infinite enemies respawning, and while Modern Warfare 2 never killed me cheaply it also didn't challenge me one bit.

TL/DR:

No it's not indicative of the franchise as a whole, but they've never really struck a great balance to challenge you in smart ways.

Everything u just mentioned has been frustrating me about the game so far, great presentation and graphics and I like the gunplay, but I don't feel like my smarts will win in a battle like I do with bioshock halo and killzone

Maybe it's cuz i'm playing on hardened :-/

zlatko

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Partying is pretty bad on 360. Keep getting split and random errors.

Right now this is my biggest issue with the game on 360. Anytime I want to play with my friends it can take 20 minutes or longer to finally get into a game together. We'll play a few and then a connection error will kick everyone out of the game that was playing, so we can spend another 20 shooting the shit in party chat.

:(

Edit: @Domo

I beat the entire campaign on Veteran, and I don't recommend it to anyone. All it is is a chore and will completely frustrate the monkey crap out of you. If you have played enough videogames in your life you will literally start yelling at your TV about poor game design mechanics and how idiotic shit like what's happening to you didn't come up in a board meeting or get picked up from someone testing it.

The vehicle sequences had me so pissed off. There's one where you roll through the streets in something that Left bumper and right bumper shoots grenade launchers while Right Trigger will shoot a machine gun. Problem is every corner you go around will completely throw off the aiming for you so you whiff shots, and since on Veteran enemies don't miss and you die in 1-2 shots you literally play sequences to complete them purely on luck and nothing on your skill to conquer that area.

I think the worst part of the game was the end of the roof tops level where,
you lay on your back with a pistol and about 10+ guys come to blast you. They won't miss and you have to basically survive 10 seconds until a van kills them all, but numerous time the van would show up right as I died. About 50 failed attempts later and it just randomly worked. I had to punch a pillow to calm myself.

Y2Kev

No, I think footsteps are too quiet always. With ninja they're of course silent. Ninja and ghost make for some fun knife running.

Raiden

Banned
zlatko said:

TL/DR:

I agree with everything you say, but i dont know if you completed that part or not already cause
you're supposed to throw down the barrels, and not rush into that trenchline in that vietnam mission. Horribly wrong indicators on that part

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Son of a bitch, had a 32 and 2 domination round with 50 points left to go, and the assholes quit out. FN FAL with dual mags and reflex sight is sex on wheels.

I had at least 3 good clips in that round, now it won't even show up in theater, FUCK!.

Oh, and I'm rocking the neogaf emblem, woo woo!

cameltoe said:
Im done with this fucking game! The lag on the 360 is fucking incredible...now I cant find any servers on the PC version!!!!

I dont think Ive had one match with 4 bars through th entire match!

Did you forward your ports?

I set my 360 to DMZ AND forwarded the ports, now it's playing just fine.

zlatko

Banned
Raiden said:
I agree with everything you say, but i dont know if you completed that part or not already cause
you're supposed to throw down the barrels, and not rush into that trenchline in that vietnam mission. Horribly wrong indicators on that part

Oh I completed the entire campaign the second I got my copy on Veteran. Right from the start of it I knew what I had to do from watching gametrailers previews/bonus rounds, so I had awareness of that scenario beforehand, plus when Woods mentions the barrels it sort of clicked to me right away.

The thing with that scene though is once you are the top you first wait for those 4-5 guys on the left rushing to the top to be cleared by the NPCs---stick your head out to help them and you die instantly on veteran. Once they are dead though I used a grenade launcher to clear the right area, shot a few more down the hill to stop a few NPC enemies, then rush down to Woods position, then rush to the bunker on the right, load up on grenades/machine gun ammo, throw a couple more grenades/launch some on the right side to get to the bunker down on the right, clear out the enemies near that barrel, rush the barrel to flip it, hide for the check point, and after that you can wrap it up easily.

Took me about 10 tries.

World at War and Blackops both have better campaigns than IW's for the simple fact that IW campaigns have the most unsatisfying gunplay in shooters ever.

Treyarch at least includes physics and meaty gore which makes going up against the endless hordes far less tedious. CoD4 and Modern Warfare 2 have no real gore to speak of and characters just fall flat to the ground in a whimper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dark FaZe said:
World at War and Blackops both have better campaigns than IW's for the simple fact that IW campaigns have the most unsatisfying gunplay in shooters ever.

Treyarch at least includes physics and meaty gore which makes going up against the endless hordes far less tedious. CoD4 and Modern Warfare 2 have no real gore to speak of and characters just fall flat to the ground in a whimper.

MW had the nuke. MW2 had No Russian. Black Ops has a shitty end game FMV because they didn't have the balls to put it into the game itself. If anything, like Jeff Gerstmann said on the Bombcast, that last moment ruined the game for me.

snack

Y2Kev said:
No, I think footsteps are too quiet always. With ninja they're of course silent. Ninja and ghost make for some fun knife running.
They're fixing the footsteps and making them louder. That's what I keep hearing.

Dresden

BO has a terrible campaign. I wish they'd just put in a thirty-minute cutscene as the single player with none of the terrible gameplay attached.

snack said:
They're fixed the footsteps and making them louder. That's what I keep hearing.

Yeah they've already said it will be patched whenever the first title update hits. Also they seem to be open to doing some things to bring back sniping which has been decimated and over nerfed. I very much hope that occurs.

Dresden said:
BO has a terrible campaign. I wish they'd just put in a thirty-minute cutscene as the single player with none of the terrible gameplay attached.
The gameplay's fine I think, it's the overall game and level design that sucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neuromancer said:
The gameplay's fine I think, it's the overall game and level design that sucks.

The "overall game and level design" are like 99% of what makes a game though. The shooting is taken for granted, really.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying this much more than MW2.

It's not all about the stupid killstreak rewards anymore. I think I've seen 2 chopper gunners and they don't seem to ruin the game so it's much more fun.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God damn it, it isn't saving any of my prior games to theater. I'm trying to take some more clips and screens.

The NeoGAF logo fits really nicely on the FN FAL. I like it. I like it a lot.

Stoney Mason said:
Yeah they've already said it will be patched whenever the first title update hits. Also they seem to be open to doing some things to bring back sniping which has been decimated and over nerfed. I very much hope that occurs.

Oh man, I hope this is true.

Dresden

I also like how it's AR/SMG or nothing when it comes to weapons. Not that a lot of people care since they're the most popular weapon types, but as annoying as some of the things in MW2 were, at least it made for a far more varied weapon selection. Now it's rare to see anything other than automatics.

T'Zariah

Banned
kamspy said:
It might be a long time before we see any action FPS with a better campaign than COD 4. It's one of the best games ever made.
Yeah....no. CoD4 WAS good for its time, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth now. It's still the same scripted shit like the other games.

jlevel13

Y2Kev said:
he'd spawn behind me, kill me, I'd respawn, I'd kill him, etc. And this happened in the same part of a gigantic map.

yeah, it's so weird (and bad). I've had these times on med/large maps in TDM where it just keeps respawning me in the exact same (horrible) spot 10-15 times in a row. After playing more it has really become apparent there's something wrong and fixable going on - as CoD has always had bad spawns, but at times this game takes it to a whole new level. One can only hope this stuff is going to get patched at some point.

Smokey

HOLY
SHIT

@ AK47

I heard the stories, but I've had it in my hands now for about 5 matches. I've won every single FFA and it really hasn't been close. The AK 47 + hardline + sleight of hand + marathon = omahgod + spy plane + napalm strike + attack helicopter = omahgod x 2:lol

aku:jiki

ZZMitch said:
Eh, I think the Stoner63 melts faces, but maybe that is just me.
Because the Stoner is really just an assault rifle that makes you run slower. :lol

I like that you can actually do really well with a shotgun on most map. When they made them primares again, I was worried they'd end up being useless but the Olympia and Stakeout are awesome on like 75% of the maps. :D

sflufan said:
The terms "AI" and "Call of Duty game" are mutually exclusive. Simply put, there really is NO AI in the CoD series, only respawning bots to provide the challenge where actual AI would normally be.

This has been the case since the first game in 2003.
Not necessarily. Modern Warfare 2 got rid of most endless respawns, except for areas where it made more sense (the airbase, for example).

Treyarch CODs have the worst AI in the series, both for your teammates and enemies alike.

The biggest campaign change this franchise needs is better AI. That and to tone it down a bit. Every single scene doesn't have to be a summer blockbuster explosion fest - mix the tempo up a bit. Give us some realistic scenarios to ground the game's reality and then throw the entire Russian Army at us. A little contrast never hurts.

Edit: And yeah, the AK47su is the shit. My kills per match literally doubled once I started taking that thing into Team Deathmatch.

Smokey

NightBlade88 said:
Is the AK good with a suppressor?

which one, the smg model or the standard AR AK47?

if it's the latter based on earlier that thing destroys with or without any attachment on it and that includes a silencer.

Scarecrow

2 questions: are there any good tip videos out there? I'm not too good and am looking for some advice.

Are emblems gone (except for the ones you can make)?

mYm|17| said:
yes the spawning is terrible.

I played a game the other night. I kill one guy run away and come back and they just spawned right where I killed that guy :lol

It seems intermittently bad, like enough to be recognizable and probably an annoyance but not bad enough to be game breaking. I did a B-52 carpet bomb and had one of the enemies that got caught in the fallout spawn directly behind me. Worst part is that this was on jungle.

How do people play ground war? I decide to try it out and the two matches I play in there are just random FPS drops (360, drops to like 15fps) when there is just 2 or 3 guys on the screen.

blindrocket said:
I constantly have heard people complain about camping in S&D with this game.

It boggles my mind. There is no such thing as camping in S&D.

:lol :lol :lol - Don't defend the bombsites!!!

I love the decoy grenades. You'd think they were giving away free handjobs the way people run straight to them.

I also think the guns are pretty balanced. I've heard that several different guns are "the best." Even with the M16, I'm winning a lot of long range gun battles against Galil or FAMAS users.
I'm also enjoying the RPK with an extended mag and Hardened. Brings me back to CoD4 with Deep Impact. You can let that thing fire for hours, and because it takes a lot of bullets to kill in BLOPS, you might just out clip-size your opponent.

I've also been enjoying the Galil, the AK74-u, and even the Olympia.

Top Bottom