• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

For anyone annoyed by constant RC-XD usage, try using the claymore. Every time you hear 'enemy rc inbound' just drop one at a doorway/bottle neck and hang out until it's gone. I've only barely touched the Jammer, and none of the other equipment because the claymore is so damn good. I love placing one and forgetting about it, and then a minute later I get a free kill and +1 to my killstreak. Is there any other equipment worth using?

Freezie KO said:
I love the decoy grenades. You'd think they were giving away free handjobs the way people run straight to them.

Yeah they work great. I love when your teammates stand on it because they don't know what it is and the enemies come around the corner and kill them. :lol

blindrocket said:
I constantly have heard people complain about camping in S&D with this game.

It boggles my mind. There is no such thing as camping in S&D.

People are idiots. They want you to run around like an idiot just like they do and get yourself killed.

Freezie KO said:
I'm also enjoying the RPK with an extended mag and Hardened. Brings me back to CoD4 with Deep Impact. You can let that thing fire for hours, and because it takes a lot of bullets to kill in BLOPS, you might just out clip-size your opponent.

Yeah I'm liking that LMG also. It's bounces a bit but the iron sights are very clear and open. And it spits out a lot of bullets.

Ok, so I just had a weird theater glitch, I had just finished a domination game on Crisis, so I went to the theater and there the game was, but the stats said I went like 8 and 5 which I didn't. So I loaded it up and it was a domination game on Crisis but it wasn't a game I participated in and it was someone else's film and my game is nowhere to be seen. Anyone know what might be up or has encountered this at all?

Dresden

sw33tclyde said:
For anyone annoyed by constant RC-XD usage, try using the claymore. Every time you hear 'enemy rc inbound' just drop one at a doorway/bottle neck and hang out until it's gone. I've only barely touched the Jammer, and none of the other equipment because the claymore is so damn good. I love placing one and forgetting about it, and then a minute later I get a free kill and +1 to my killstreak. Is there any other equipment worth using?
I've seen some guys use the camera stick in S&D, but that's about it. Jammer seems decent but claymores are just too good to pass up now, with the instant detonation.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
My experience is getting better. AKu SMG is a beast, I've managed to get my first 2:1 k/d ratio today with rapid fire and the grip. Going to try swapping the grip for silencer to go with ghost and ninja.

Nuketown is still my favourite map, but the vietnamese forest can burn in hell.

zero margin said:
Yeah they work great. I love when your teammates stand on it because they don't know what it is and the enemies come around the corner and kill them. :lol

:lol Sometimes it looks like a Three Stooges episode with everyone fumbling around the decoys.

I'm having good fortune with the decoys on Summit (the one with the round structure in the middle). You can go up in the building with an LMG or an AR and throw a decoy out of the window. It's good for 2-3 kills just by keeping your eye on the grenade.

Freezie KO said:
:lol Sometimes it looks like a Three Stooges episode with everyone fumbling around the decoys.

I'm having good fortune with the decoys on Summit (the one with the round structure in the middle). You can go up in the building with an LMG or an AR and throw a decoy out of the window. It's good for 2-3 kills just by keeping your eye on the grenade.

Did you know they do damage if they get blown up? Saw a hit marker today and Ice cube told me my shit got F'd up. Enemy must have been standing on it and shot it? Anyway, good tip, that's been my issue is finding the time and place for them. Usually it's just toss it in an open area and sit in a corner with minimal entrances and a good vantage point. Easier said than done.

paskowitz

I have been running and gunning less and basically switching between camping spots (depending on the intelligence of the opposing team). On larger more open maps this has paid dividends. I find in BO the more distance I put between myself and the enemy the better I do. There is too much lag for running and gunning, where fast reflexes and precision are vital. Also the the commando is a beast. I usually switch between that and the PSG1 which is great. Sniping in BO is actually the only thing that feels 100% right.

CrazedArabMan said:
Ok, so I just had a weird theater glitch, I had just finished a domination game on Crisis, so I went to the theater and there the game was, but the stats said I went like 8 and 5 which I didn't. So I loaded it up and it was a domination game on Crisis but it wasn't a game I participated in and it was someone else's film and my game is nowhere to be seen. Anyone know what might be up or has encountered this at all?

This has been happening to me as well (and other people). Is Treyarch aware?

DiddyBop

Treyarch really needs to expand the zombie mode to make it more like left 4 dead(more areas), especially outdoors) and then release it with 4 maps as an expansion. me and my friends are having so much fun with it and id glady pay the 30-40. hell we'd pay 60 if they wanted to make it a full on game.

Somnium986 said:
Finally uploaded my 360 clip. Had to make a separate account seeing as it doesn't allow you upload from multiple systems on one account. :mad:

Direct stun impact
:lol Holy shit I've seen videos of that stuff before, but that was perfect. Front on, directly in the face, and a death animation that suited. Nice work

paskowitz said:
I have been running and gunning less and basically switching between camping spots (depending on the intelligence of the opposing team). On larger more open maps this has paid dividends. I find in BO the more distance I put between myself and the enemy the better I do. There is too much lag for running and gunning, where fast reflexes and precision are vital. Also the the commando is a beast. I usually switch between that and the PSG1 which is great. Sniping in BO is actually the only thing that feels 100% right.

This has been happening to me as well (and other people). Is Treyarch aware?

I wouldn't care but I really wanted to save the last 30 seconds of my film, and instead I get a film, same gametype, same map, different game, from someone who sucked. :(

So I finished the single player today, and as I've stated before this is my first CoD campaign play through.

I really disliked the first half of the game - I found the flashbacks, scripted events and vague objectives/directions/reasons to do anything, completely annoying. I also found the corridor shooting, surprise enemy attacks (walking down a hallway only to experience a scripted enemy to jump out and injure me before I can react is never fun) and general 'shooting gallery' feel to be absolute shit next to something like Reach or any decent FPS for that matter.

Then around the time of driving the boat in Vietnam it really picked up for me. The music clicked, I was suddenly able to run and gun without dying horribly (as opposed to slow stop and pop gameplay I was involved in beforehand) and started to really enjoy the story. By the end of the game I was thoroughly impressed. The music, graphics, gunplay, scripted events, story etc all seemed to tie together perfectly. I might also that the ending
where Mason was involved in the JFK assassination
I really enjoyed. It might have been a little tacky/forced, and it really would have been better as some sort of gameplay sequence, even if it was a cutscene - but it was still enjoyable and gave me a level respect for CoD (I had only experienced MW2's story while watching a friend play) that I otherwise would not have.

I'm still not a fan of CoD campaign gameplay, it's far too scripted and in-your-face-intense, and the gameplay/design leaves something to be desired at many moments during the game... but given my initial impressions it was a pleasant surprise.

As for the multiplayer, I'm fucking loving it. Everything feels right, and I'm having very few issues with Parties/Lag etc... the guns feel nice and I'm not finding anything too overpowered yet (though I played against someone who was using the G11, and that felt WTF bullshit at times). My few small complaints are the footsteps being nearly muted - while I see what they're trying to do with Ninja, it really serves very little purpose compared to its use in MW2. Also, sniping... It 'can' feel right, but I think the Dragonuv is fairly hopeless and a bad introductory gun for the class. More importantly, there are few instances where a sniper has an adequate range advantage over an AR/SMG user.

Overall, well worth the price... though frankly, it's depressing having to 'convince' some of my friends to make the switch from MW2 to Black Ops. They play it, get a bad k/d and assume the game is shitty and worse than MW2. It's short-sighted and just annoying.

Edit: Sorry about the spoiler, fixed.

Guts Of Thor said:
What are some good guns for people like me who can't aim for shit and have to rely on hip firing 98% of the time?

You'd want rate of fire as your highest stat to be honest, followed by clip size. Try out some of the SMG's. Your whole gameplay style will rely on spraying as many bullets in the shortest time possible and not having to reload mid-way.

Also, you're going to struggle at this game on the mid-large maps unless you sort out your aiming ability and choose a gun for it. As the skill level/experience levels increase, people will find run and gunners easier to pick off or see coming - just a tip.

If you could aim then I would recommend M16 + Silencer + Red Dot = Godly. Also add on Ghost and you can move around the map without anyone knowing where you are, it's so good.

hamchan

Just finished the campaign. It was really good, best campaign since CoD4. Time to try veteran now and see if it's as bad as people here say. Good thing I don't judge COD campaigns by how they play on veteran and I don't know why you would.

Pretty cool but predictable
about Reznov
and the whole
Mason involved with JFK thing. I'm glad they didn't feel compelled to make the latter playable, that would have made a bigger controversy than even MW2's airport level.

squicken

Question on PC version:

I've read the 360 controller doesn't work entirely correct. That there is no rumble or "snap-to" aiming like in the console versions. Can anyone confirm this? I'm trying to figure out if it is widespread or just a few people. I'm playing the 360 version but it is so ugly compared the PC screens

T'Zariah

Banned
hamchan said:
Just finished the campaign. It was really good, best campaign since CoD4. Time to try veteran now and see if it's as bad as people here say. Good thing I don't judge COD campaigns by how they play on veteran and I don't know why you would.

Pretty cool but predictable
about Reznov
and the whole
Mason involved with JFK thing. I'm glad they didn't feel compelled to make the latter playable, that would have made a bigger controversy than even MW2's airport level.
For some reason, I really doubt they would've been THAT mad at it.

Animal

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
My experience is getting better. AKu SMG is a beast, I've managed to get my first 2:1 k/d ratio today with rapid fire and the grip. Going to try swapping the grip for silencer to go with ghost and ninja.

Nuketown is still my favourite map, but the vietnamese forest can burn in hell.

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game will be pretty much perfect for me if they can fix the spawns, because hooooly shit they can get fucking bad.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I got a 8 ratio today. Felt good :lol :lol 2x-3 was the total count. Or something like that.

Black Ops>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MW2

Can not get into a game to save my life. Party or no party. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is a problem with my connection.

RS4-

squicken said:
Question on PC version:

I've read the 360 controller doesn't work entirely correct. That there is no rumble or "snap-to" aiming like in the console versions. Can anyone confirm this? I'm trying to figure out if it is widespread or just a few people. I'm playing the 360 version but it is so ugly compared the PC screens
Pretty sure the aim assist option isn't in the PC version even if you're using pad.

I wish the spawn system was like a mix of COD4 and WAW. You never really had opposition spawn behind you unless someone got behind your lines. If they couldn't, you could effectively lock down a team in a section of the map until someone gets out far enough to have a diff spawn zone for the team.

And the maps are big enough in BO to use a system like that instead of just randomly throwing players around the map. I can't think of map where a team would completely walled off if it came to it. Well maybe that one start spawn in Havana.

I tell you what feels good i never feel im being killed by someone having a cheap loadout, that was always the case on mw2. Now if they fixed the spawns and the party dropping this would be very good.

jedimike

Mayyhem said:
This game is really starting to grow on me, I like it a lot.

Same here... It hasn't sucked me in like MW2, and I was a little down on the game for that at first, but I'm finding my niche in hardcore mode.

One thing I don't like... scavenger doesn't replenish claymores. Is there any way to get 2 claymores in the game?

And like others, I'm often frustrated by spawn points and matchmaking gets "stuck" at times and just won't fill a lobby. Similar things happened when MW2 was released and they patched quickly. I expect Treyarch to do the same.

slamskank

I'm a little concerned about how popular ninja is... I think the 3 perk slots is kind of a mistake in that respect, it and marathon are the only useful ones in the 3rd slot. I'd estimate about 80% of people are using ninja judging from the sounds when everyone spawns. I'm doing a lot worse in black ops than mw1/2 because I depend a lot on hearing footsteps... my reflexes and aim isn't very good but I would do well anyways from getting the drop on people with my headphones. Blops, not so much.

And the campaign is terrible in every sense of the word. But I didn't buy it for that thankfully.

PatzCU

Loving the MP in this game as I put more and more time into it. I had a funny thing happen tonight. I was running around with the M16 silencer/red dot and grabbed a 5 kill streak. I was thinking 'oh shit, napalm strike I need to get 2 kills out of this'. So I sit in a corner out of traffic waiting for someone on my team to get a spy plane. Someone gets the spy plane, I drop my napalm on their team, snag 3 kills, and thought 'yessssssssss attack chopper!'. Oh wait... kill streaks don't get you kill streaks. THANK GOD

I thought it was hilarious that I am conditioned from MW2 to get 5 kills and then sit in a corner while I predator/ missile/harrier/pavelow my way to victory. I am so overjoyed that this is no longer possible. I'd say I get about 1-2 kills on average with an attack chopper and I'm 100% OK with that.

But for god sakes fix the fucking spawns. My only gripe about the MP, otherwise it's fantastic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's a bunch of little bugs in this game I hope get ironed out, most are just annoying, but the lag, and party issues need to get fixed.

Also, wtf with my emblem not showing up on my FAL in theater mode.

Treyarch, fix it!

So I'm Playing the tank part on "Rebirth" after the helicopter checkpoint where you take a right and then left turn....

FUCK YOU TREYARCH !

I've platinumed World At War (on Veteran) so I'm used to your cheap tactics but this is F^%$^ ridiculous! The truck-turret scene at Vorkuta was almost as bad as this but this isn't even fair. I was very pleased with the handling of Veteran (apart from some invisible spawn points of course) but this is a show stopper right here and obviously not very well playtested....

Sorry for the rant, but that's what rage-quitting does to a man.....does anyone have any tips?

EDIT: nvm I passed it.... :lol but it STILL SUCKS!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
slamskank said:
I'm a little concerned about how popular ninja is... I think the 3 perk slots is kind of a mistake in that respect, it and marathon are the only useful ones in the 3rd slot. I'd estimate about 80% of people are using ninja judging from the sounds when everyone spawns. I'm doing a lot worse in black ops than mw1/2 because I depend a lot on hearing footsteps... my reflexes and aim isn't very good but I would do well anyways from getting the drop on people with my headphones. Blops, not so much.

And the campaign is terrible in every sense of the word. But I didn't buy it for that thankfully.

A lot of people always seem to use the stealthy perks, but I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with that. I personally use Hacker though.

xSL4INx

After playing close to 4 hours of multiplayer in the last two days, I'm not understanding people's complaints with lag. I'm playing on a pretty crappy internet connection that is free in my apartment complex and having no lag troubles whatsoever, I'm usually averaging 3 bars a game.

That said, this is the first COD that I've played since Modern Warfare 1, and while the story is still near forgettable, the online is lots of fun. It reminded me why I enjoyed playing COD online a few years ago; frustrating at times yes, but fun overall.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xSL4INx said:
After playing close to 4 hours of multiplayer in the last two days, I'm not understanding people's complaints with lag. I'm playing on a pretty crappy internet connection that is free in my apartment complex and having no lag troubles whatsoever, I'm usually averaging 3 bars a game.

That said, this is the first COD that I've played since Modern Warfare 1, and while the story is still near forgettable, the online is lots of fun. It reminded me why I enjoyed playing COD online a few years ago; frustrating at times yes, but fun overall.

You notice it if you know what to look for, an example would be 6 direct center shots with the FAL but only 3 registering (the last one), especially noticeable when you have been going 30-7 ish all night to then go 4 straight rounds of 1:1 ratio.

Also, when you don't see a guy until the last second and he kills you in what seems like one shot even while you are firing, yet in the kill cam he has a good second or so head start seeing you, and none of your actions show on the kill cam.

Started playing Search (was playing TDM exclusively to learn the maps, now halfway through first prestige) and what do you know? Game is miles better. Search really is the only way to go, particularly now with the shitty respawns.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Met my first Lightweight, Marathon, Steady Aim Pro, Ballistic Knife runner douchebag tonight.

Such fucking stupidity. Why the fuck did Treyarch put that bullshit commando gimmick lunge in the game?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cerrius said:
Met my first Lightweight, Marathon, Steady Aim Pro, Ballistic Knife runner douchebag tonight.

Such fucking stupidity. Why the fuck did Treyarch put that bullshit commando gimmick lunge in the game?

Needs to be said, while it's still lame, it's not the same.

Top Bottom