• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

rodvik

biosnake20 said:
god the snipers and shotguns are so bad in this game compared to the others

I cannot recall being killed by a sniper rifle in the game yet. Not that I am complaining mind you..... :D Shotguns have wasted me a couple of times but nothing out of the ordinary. Curious if any GAFers have effectively used sniper rifles yet? They seem really underpowered vs previous cod games.

slamskank

_Alkaline_ said:
Started playing Search (was playing TDM exclusively to learn the maps, now halfway through first prestige) and what do you know? Game is miles better. Search really is the only way to go, particularly now with the shitty respawns.
The respawns were always shitty to be fair. I exclusively play S&D just to avoid dealing with them. It's also more intense because dying actually has weight to it.

Tongue

This is by far the most lag infested piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune of buying.

Normaly mp games are shit because I live in Montana.

This piece of shit takes it to a whole new level.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Tongue said:
This is by far the most lag infested piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune of buying.

Normaly mp games are shit because I live in Montana.

This piece of shit takes it to a whole new level.
Have you turned on locale search?

Anyone having trouble getting large parties into search? Whenever I have a group of 5 or 6, I find a game but everyone else is kicked. This happened at times in MW2 but never as bad as this.

Damn me and my friend are trying to figure out the five zombie map, but were always dying at about round 8. Any of you have any good strategies or tips? Hell if two people who know what they are doing want to join the two of us, that would be badass.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
rodvik said:
I cannot recall being killed by a sniper rifle in the game yet. Not that I am complaining mind you..... :D Shotguns have wasted me a couple of times but nothing out of the ordinary. Curious if any GAFers have effectively used sniper rifles yet? They seem really underpowered vs previous cod games.

I was wasted by sniper rifles on PC quite a lot.

Dresden

Sniping got much easier after I unlocked the L96A1 and bought the Variable Zoom for it. It's the only sniper rifle that will kill with a gut shot.

Smokey

rodvik said:

I've been using my sniper class quite effectively. I use the W2000 sniper rifle (with the variable zoom scope attachment) with ghost, scout, and marathon perks. I also have the claymore as my equipment. What I usually do is get a few kills with my pistol so that I can get the Spy Plane put into use.

Then I set up shop somewhere based on what my radar is telling me from the spy plane, set up the claymore some ways behind me that way I can't get knifed in my back and I go to work. Once I get a kill I pick my claymore back up and move to a different spot. Rinse repeat.

Have had a lot of success with it so far.

Also the shotguns are very powerful in this game especially the Olympia.

Ramirez

This not being able to get consistent matches going with a party is pretty pathetic for a game of this magnitude. I think we might have gotten 15 matches in like 5 hours tonight? -_-

-Pyromaniac- said:
Anyone notice how easy it is to get to 40-45, but how insanely long it takes to get from 45-50. Maybe it's just me.

I'm thinking the exact same thing right now. I got to 40 real easy-now it's taking forever!!

UFRA

So....anyone notice the trend that is starting?

People have managed to create various ways to involve a penis in their emblems.

Sometimes it's splooging, other times it's a horse banging another horse....ugh.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
UFRA said:

Sometimes it's splooging, other times it's a horse banging another horse....ugh.
I've only encountered one penis-related emblem so far. The rest involve beer, which is funny.

Boogat

Starting? Penis/ass themed emblems have been going since day one lol. Treyarch is 'banning' people who are caught with inappropriate emblems though, but this ban is only from creating a new emblem (for 15 hours). I don't know how common these bans are though, but I've seen it happen multiple times now.

Ramirez

UFRA said:

Saw a guy fisting a llama tonight, the llama had a thought bubble with the fist pic inside of it. :lol

Mik2121

Damn.. am I the only one here getting A LOT of lucky kills with grenades throwing them just on the direction where my enemies might be, but over buildings and shit?.. This didn't happen to me in MW2 :lol

UFRA

Boogat said:
Starting? Penis/ass themed emblems have been going since day one lol. Treyarch is 'banning' people who are caught with inappropriate emblems though, but this ban is only from creating a new emblem (for 15 hours). I don't know how common these bans are though, but I've seen it happen multiple times now.

Ah I guess I've been fortunate enough to not see them until recently.

Last night I saw one, and then today I saw at least 7 different variations. At least 3 of them were the horse on horse action.

People are...interesting... :lol

I've only been killed by a sniper once. I find myself slowing my playstyle a bit now that I'm learning the maps more and learning how to be more tactical. Maybe I'll give sniping a chance.

For my slower/long-range class, I'm using an M16 with motion sensor. I love that you can pick up your equipment and move your location.

As for the RC-XD, I have killed more people playing with their remote control car more than I've actually been killed by the explosive itself.

slamskank said:
I'm a little concerned about how popular ninja is... I think the 3 perk slots is kind of a mistake in that respect, it and marathon are the only useful ones in the 3rd slot.

Second Chance Pro is pretty good with its revival ability. When using it, I've been revived by random teammates, and I always try to do the same. If they're on a killstreak, that can only help the whole team, including myself, get more kills. Even Tac Mask has its uses. Hacker seems like a waste of time though.

LowParry

Freezie KO said:
Hacker seems like a waste of time though.

Not true. You're able to see where people lay equipment down. So you don't run into a claymore. Pro allows you to hack everything to your benefit. Even enemy crates you can steal and turn the crate into a bomb. I think it's one of the best perks to have.

Dresden

I get like six, seven RCXDs a match, so I guess I'm part of the problem. They're so fun to use though--if I have two stacked up I'll use one to kill then send out the other one just exploring the hidden tunnels and stuff.

What's odd is that it's very rare for me to actually get killed by one. The key is to run away from everyone else so the RC zooms for them instead of you. :lol And to aim well.

CcrooK said:
Not true. You're able to see where people lay equipment down. So you don't run into a claymore. Pro allows you to hack everything to your benefit. Even enemy crates you can steal and turn the crate into a bomb. I think it's one of the best perks to have.

I find it too dependent on the opponents though. I had a difficult time upgrading my Hardened perk to Pro because I couldn't even find a claymore to shoot in over ten matches. Plus, there are so many run-and-gunners, I'm not sure if people are taking the time to lay their equipment down.

With care packages, any class can steal them, and you might get more kills than the one kill you'd get with a booby trap. Compare this to Marathon, Ninja, or SC Pro, which give you huge benefits or even the chance for revival. At least with Tac Mask, you can build a Scavenger class around it, so you can abuse concussion grenades or Nova gas.

Dresden said:
I get like six, seven RCXDs a match, so I guess I'm part of the problem. They're so fun to use though--if I have two stacked up I'll use one to kill then send out the other one just exploring the hidden tunnels and stuff.

What's odd is that it's very rare for me to actually get killed by one. The key is to run away from everyone else so the RC zooms for them instead of you. :lol And to aim well.

The range on them is pretty huge though. I was surprised at how big the explosion was.

I think I'm just going to play Combat Training if anything from now on.

I was playing on Jungle and two enemies were right in front of me-I sprayed them both, emptying an entire clip-mind you these guys were line up in a row right in front of me. I'm out of bullets and one of the guys calmly turns around and shoots me once dead. I then respawn RIGHT BEHIND THEM again, and do the same thing-shoot them!! Of course, they turn around and shoot me once.

FUCK. THIS. LAG.

Levi

Banned
I'm not a fan of Killstreaks, but I do like the player investment system in this game quite a bit. Finding the perks that suit you and then doing their challenges to upgrade them is a lot of fun (even if the Ghost Pro challenges are going to take me forever). Right now I'm using Ghost / Warlord Pro / Ninja and I'm one Backstabber medal away from Ninja pro.

Nearly rage-quit the game forever my first night, playing on Nuketown and dying literally 10 times in a row to attack helicopters immediately after spawning. 10 deaths in less than 10 seconds... FML.

Nuketown is a fucking mess. If you're not getting spawn-camped, the fucking game is spawning someone right behind you.

Other than that, I think the maps are pretty decent. I prefer the more objective based gameplay experience and less "twitchy" nature of Battlefield:BC2 but I've played that game to death and the Killzone 3 beta is too unbalanced to be fun so this is my MP game for the moment.

Campaign was okay, but I agree with everyone who has pointed out how wretched the AI is. My team-mate could be standing literally next to an enemy, and neither will react to the other.

I'm also pretty pissed that I dropped the difficulty from Hardened to Normal because I couldn't figure out the Barrels thing in Khe Sang (or whatever). I felt real dumb when I figured out I just had to hit X on a fucking barrel to advance the goddamn checkpoint. I figured I was just supposed to run past all the enemies to stop them from infinitely spawning like every other goddamn level, and that wasn't working so I got frustrated and dropped the difficulty. :mad:

Mik2121

BTW you guys should check out Nuketown in Theater mode. If you see the whole environment, it makes you wonder why the hell didn't they add some extra detail through the whole thing and let us play on the full environment. It would have been just so much better..

Nelo Ice

Banned
CcrooK said:

hacker pro is so much fun

i got a double kill in tdm from the crate bomb :lol

Najaf

Just prestiged and I am loving how quickly you get your toys back. In four matches, I had my usual perks (albeit not the pro versions), my chopper gunner, my m14 and my tactical gear. Only a few more matches and I'll have my Famas back. The money system is great for prestigers. The only real speedbump is earning back all your pro perks which is a fun little challenge in itself.

Also, for those who are going to prestige, make sure to use all of your money at the end on the emblem layers and backgrounds. Those are the only things you keep and you loose all your money.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Najaf said:
Just prestiged and I am loving how quickly you get your toys back. In four matches, I had my usual perks (albeit not the pro versions), my chopper gunner, my m14 and my tactical gear. Only a few more matches and I'll have my Famas back. The money system is great for prestigers. The only real speedbump is earning back all your pro perks which is a fun little challenge in itself.

Also, for those who are going to prestige, make sure to use all of your money at the end on the emblem layers and backgrounds. Those are the only things you keep and you loose all your money.

so u mean the player card backgrounds right?
and im guessing this means u lose any emblems youve unlocked besides the ones ur using

Mik2121

Check out all the lost potential..

njXAK.jpg

Add some extra details and some fences and trees to create a good flow on the map, let us enter a few more houses and a couple extra higher buildings (or not) and it would have been a pretty awesome medium / big map if you ask me.

Also I want more maps that include western cities or civilian environments, not just factories or war environments :( I'd love to fight on some big department store or at least something like the Pentagon (hey, if they have it already, why not...).

Oh and add the ship environment from the campaign. It would work sooo much better than that goddamn Shipment map.

Mik2121

Nelo Ice said:
so u mean the player card backgrounds right?
and im guessing this means u lose any emblems youve unlocked besides the ones ur using
He means all the emblem parts and player card backgrounds. You keep them all, including the ones you're not using. That's why you should spend all your money on buying ALL of them right before prestige.

Najaf

Mik2121 said:
Check out all the lost potential..

Add some extra details and some fences and trees to create a good flow on the map, let us enter a few more houses and a couple extra higher buildings (or not) and it would have been a pretty awesome medium / big map if you ask me.

Also I want more maps that include western cities or civilian environments, not just factories or war environments :( I'd love to fight on some big department store or at least something like the Pentagon (hey, if they have it already, why not...).

Oh and add the ship environment from the campaign. It would work sooo much better than that goddamn Shipment map.

I think adding access to the left house, with a gate between both backyards would be great. Maybe Nuketown 2.0 DLC? I'd love it if it were a tad bigger. That left house would provide more neutral ground to fight over instead of just the killing field in the middle.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I tried to play a zombie match, but every time the counter goes to 0 I'm disconnected with the message "Group isn't active" or something like that. PC version here.

As far as I understand zombie mode uses p2p connection, right?

Max

I am not Max
Mik2121 said:
Damn.. am I the only one here getting A LOT of lucky kills with grenades throwing them just on the direction where my enemies might be, but over buildings and shit?.. This didn't happen to me in MW2 :lol
I used to memorize areas at the top edge of buildings where you can throw nades around the opposite teams spawn area in CoD2/4. Get into it, makes people rage.

subversus said:
So I tried to play a zombie match, but every time the counter goes to 0 I'm disconnected with the message "Group isn't active" or something like that. PC version here.

As far as I understand zombie mode uses p2p connection, right?
yea it's fucking lame/broken. they should've put zombies on dedicated servers like they have with wager matches. such a bummer.

UFRA said:

Never would have seen that coming

Launch. Spawned infront of two enemies, they kill me. Spawned two feet from that spot, killed them. They spawned where I spawned, killed them again.

Wtf is this shit.

Ballistik

Mik2121 said:
I agree with you. I only like nuketown because it's actually something different. I'd love more maps that are in the middle of cities, like an office building or a store. war environments get boring.

FeD.nL

I didnt know dual mag also increases your ammo count :O. Now I f-ing love it.
Running:
Ghost + Warlord pro + Hacker
AK-47 + dual mag and suppressor

jonnybryce said:
Launch. Spawned infront of two enemies, they kill me. Spawned two feet from that spot, killed them. They spawned where I spawned, killed them again.

Wtf is this shit.

Worst spawns in any game ever. Such a shame because the rest of the game is awesome.

Treyarch must release a patch. Soon.

Ballistik

That's one of my major complaints with this game. I can't play a FFA without everyone quitting (but one guy that decided to stick around to make matters worse). Why isn't anyone else put in the games?

There's also 2 minor details that bug me. First one, when the map is loading, the text is flipped. Game type should be first and the map name second. So when you read it, it's "Team Deathmatch on Havana" or whatever. Second thing is that during killcams, the actual bullet sounds aren't slowed, but instead doubled. Like an M16 for example, you kill someone with one burst, it will sound like 2 bursts when shown in killcam, pointless and silly I know but I always notice it.

kyo_daikun said:
Never would have seen that coming

:p

I prefer mine. Communist moose with sunglasses and socks!

It is sort of funny seeing them in the environment though. The final killcam goes off and it's all 'oo ra look at my kills' and all your eyes are drawn to is the giant willy at the bottom of the screen. :lol

I do feel bad for them, but I guess a good k/d is the biggest e-dick of all.

One guy had a skeleton squatting the other day. Dude. :lol

Top Bottom