• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
I'm getting there too. I just spawned twice in a hotzone and then lagged out of my next match. I was at school for MW2, so I did have like T1 or whatever, but it was bandwidth capped and I never ever saw lag.

MW2 (PSN) ran and still runs much better then this online. And that isn't saying all that much. Hopefully things clear up .....

I'm only 4 hours or so in mp but I'm already thinking I may have to take a break until things get patched. Spawning is just annoying and how anyone can have a good game on Nuketown amazes me.

.nimrod

I'm really glad that Black Ops has an integrated reporting system

BhOMl.png

Raiden said:
Second Chance pro is easily the best perk in the entire game! I cannot tell you how many times i got revived thanks to that.

Eh. Last Stand and Matyrdom are pretty useless. You have to essentially die to reap their benefits. I'd rather take a perk that helps keep me alive. I can see the appeal for terrible players (not calling you one), but there's so many better perk 3 choices (I'm basing this on COD4 and MW2).

On a side note, I played both COD4 and MW4 last night. Both great games with their own pros and cons. Strangely enough, my stats in COD4 reset a little bit. I was on third of fourth prestige when I quit playing two years ago, but now I'm only first prestige. Weird. And for some reason, the game wouldn't recognize that I was playing with the Tactical setup. Knifing was still located on the R3 even when I changed the controls.

Speaking of which. I wish they got rid of knifing entirely, or when you're completely out of ammo. Would make close-quarters-combat pretty intense with both players shooting from the hit and not hitting the instant-win button.

EDIT: I'm so glad I skipped out on Black Ops. Once I realized that it wasn't a sequel to COD4 or MW2, but instead WaW, I felt as though my decision was validated. Can't believe Treyarch made so many mistakes after learning from MW2's problems.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
snap0212 said:
Really seems like very few are using the NeoGAF player card. Haven't seen anyone online who uses it. I'll probably keep it since I don't have any ideas for good ones. :)
I use it, but for some reason it won't show in theater mode.

GeekyDad

.nimrod said:

BhOMl.png

Wow...

I know a lot of folks use expletives and racial slurs online, but that's seriously scary. Whoever is using that gamer tag seems pretty serious about their love of hate. How the hell do you even get a picture like that in-game?!

Wthermans

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
Eh. Last Stand and Matyrdom are pretty useless. You have to essentially die to reap their benefits. I'd rather take a perk that helps keep me alive. I can see the appeal for terrible players (not calling you one), but there's so many better perk 3 choices (I'm basing this on COD4 and MW2).

On a side note, I played both COD4 and MW4 last night. Both great games with their own pros and cons. Strangely enough, my stats in COD4 reset a little bit. I was on third of fourth prestige when I quit playing two years ago, but now I'm only first prestige. Weird. And for some reason, the game wouldn't recognize that I was playing with the Tactical setup. Knifing was still located on the R3 even when I changed the controls.

Speaking of which. I wish they got rid of knifing entirely, or when you're completely out of ammo. Would make close-quarters-combat pretty intense with both players shooting from the hit and not hitting the instant-win button.

EDIT: I'm so glad I skipped out on Black Ops. Once I realized that it wasn't a sequel to COD4 or MW2, but instead WaW, I felt as though my decision was validated. Can't believe Treyarch made so many mistakes after learning from MW2's problems.

Personally I wish they would take Melee back to the COD1/UO/2 days. Where it was dependent on the weapon you were holding. Pistols took 2 melee hits to kill and some of the SMGs took 2 as well (most everything else was OHK). BUT, the melee action didn't have anywhere close to the range that the knife does in MW1/W@W/MW2/BO. It was about half of the current system and it really made the melee fights intense instead of the current lunge style of the franchise reboot.

On a side note, I find it funny how most people are glad that Commando is gone, but it seems that Treyarch has just given everyone the Commando lunge while sprinting. It's not really gone from the game, it's just that everyone has it innately. While some might be fine with that since it makes an even playing field, it lessens the reliance on straight gun kills (which is what ANY shooter-FPS should be about IMO) and gives a BIG advantage to melee kills in the shorter range encounters.

BTW, IMO, W@W was the best COD since the franchise reboot. Larger maps, unscoped bolt action rifles, and more balanced killstreaks than MW1. Lean alone makes it leagues ahead of MW2.

Also, while I can see the outrage in that pic, I can also see it's a blatant troll attempt. Or maybe I just don't believe that a true anti-semitic could be clever enough to come up with that on their own. It's meant to troll you and it seems many people are taking it hook line and sinker.

.nimrod

Xater said:
I also have to say that this is absolutely the classiness I expect from the majority of COD gamers.
Sadly, i have to agree with you :/

GeekyDad said:
Wow...
I know a lot of folks use expletives and racial slurs online, but that's seriously scary. Whoever is using that gamer tag seems pretty serious about their love of hate. How the hell do you even get a picture like that in-game?!
You can create your own, Black Ops has an ingame emblem editor.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GeekyDad said:
Wow...

Looks like 2 hollow triangles, a white circle for background and a no symbol.

bdouble

Jack Scofield said:
Can't believe Treyarch made so many mistakes after learning from MW2's problems.
SP or MP?

The MP is right next to CoD4 for me with all the changes they made. They brought klllstreaks down to just an aid not the end all be all. So much more fun to be worrying about the other team then insta death from above for one of 109810238 different reasons.

It does have its own problems but to me they are the things that are easier to be patched without changing the whole game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
More and more people are using launchers and noob tubes.

Love my flak jacket pro, also nothing better than tagging a guy in the face with his own reset grenade or running right through enemy napalm to stab them in the face. :lol

J-Roderton

Really liking this game so far. Campaign is amazing. MP seems to be just about how I thought it would. Having a really hard time sniping so far though.

Chakan

PC patch fixed the game completely. Stuttering = gone, frame issues = gone.

5hs into the campaign so far. I think thats the best CoD single player ever.

unomas

Banned
LordAlu said:
Has anyone managed Executive Order on Veteran? This shit is really pissing me off! I've already
blown up the rocket
and am heading through the corridors of the base. At the checkpoint i'm at, I'm about to enter a room with several computers, before a long corridor, with various boxes and a room along the right with more computers.

Normally in this situation I would hang back in the small room and pick off enemies as the come down the long corridor, but unfortunately after 20 minutes of doing this it was pretty obvious it was a bottomless enemy pit. So to stop it I'm gonna have to go down the corridor, which seems impossible. Very rarely i'll make it down to the room on the right, only to get killed there.

Anyone else managed it, and if so got any advice? I'm not sure how much longer my controller can withstand being thrown against the wall!

I did it a few days ago on Vet, throw smoke in the second room after the long hallway after clearing out the first 6 or so guys, after you throw smoke try to get to a checkpoint in that next room, and if you think that's hard.....there is more to come ;)

Draft

This game's pretty gross. I thought the graphic throat slitting was bad, but then some guy in the VC tunnels had his hand blown off by my magnum. He was rolling around for a few seconds, and the fleshy mess at the end of his former hand were wiggling and jiggling. Nasty. :lol

Mik2121

D4Danger said:
So how broken are the stats in this game?

It says I've only played 17 games but somehow have over 1200 kills :\
Only the leaderboard stats are broken. If you go to your Combat Record, all the stats there are correct.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mik2121 said:
Only the leaderboard stats are broken. If you go to your Combat Record, all the stats there are correct.

the leaderboard is what I'm looking at. I was just seeing how everyone on my friends list was doing but I guess that information is worthless.

Xater said:
I also have to say that this is absolutely the classiness I expect from the majority of COD gamers.

Not surprising.
To be completely honest all the guys I know/play with on Live are into doing crap like this. They usually use clan tags like [RAPE] and have used names like NuketheGooks, JewHunter, and such.. Maybe its just cool to young guys to be offensive. On a side note tho all my Friends/guys I play with on PSN seem to use asian type names like Tetsuo, Jinosake, and Anita...
So I have my pick of 20-25 year olds who get there kicks from being racist Dbags or 30-40 year olds who watch to much anime.

Mik2121

D4Danger said:
the leaderboard is what I'm looking at. I was just seeing how everyone on my friends list was doing but I guess that information is worthless.
If you change to "ALL TIME" like someone above said, it shows the correct stats too. Also, I believe Treyarch already know about it.

Najaf

.nimrod said:

BhOMl.png

I love how you cannot name a custom class "assault", but they let you drop Nazi or Naz1 into your clan tag. Really people?

Ferny

Mik2121 said:

I thought they were a little off. They need to get this fixed asap as well as spawns and veto system.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
AndresON777 said:
the running dive to prone is worth 60 bucks alone. plus the dogs are back!!!

SmokeMaxX said:
That shit's so stupid. They should change the command to run + jump + prone not just run + prone. It doesn't even make sense the way it is now and it legitimately interferes with playing normally.

lttp but I agree with this. It's really annoying when you run to get a care package and you just want to stop so you hit the crouch button and instead of doing that you spend 5 seconds diving on the spot.

plus I swear I've seen people superman dive off buildings and roofs. It's so stupid.

Najaf said:
I love how you cannot name a custom class "assault", but they let you drop Nazi or Naz1 into your clan tag. Really people?
Haha that is so true. Exactly what happened to me and it's made more ridiculous by the fact that nobody even sees my "Assault" class.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
D4Danger said:
lttp but I agree with this. It's really annoying when you run to get a care package and you just want to stop so you hit the crouch button and instead of doing that you spend 5 seconds diving on the spot.

plus I swear I've seen people superman dive off buildings and roofs. It's so stupid.

Hey, don't hate the player. I've gotten loads of kills by diving out windows and surprising people!

LordAlu

unomas said:
I did it a few days ago on Vet, throw smoke in the second room after the long hallway after clearing out the first 6 or so guys, after you throw smoke try to get to a checkpoint in that next room, and if you think that's hard.....there is more to come ;)
Yeah, I pretty much figured I'd have to try and use smoke and leg it down there to try and trigger the checkpoint. I just gave up for today. 2 hours of the same crap over and over again wore me down.

I'm done with multiplayer for now too. Far too many people who don't talk and just sit around looking to get kills so they can use their little RC car, and the spawning system makes me physically sick it's that bad. There is no flow to the game right now, you can't push a team back since it just randomly spawns them anywhere.

BigBlue1974 said:
Haha that is so true. Exactly what happened to me and it's made more ridiculous by the fact that nobody even sees my "Assault" class.
This confused me too. In MW I could choose Assault as a title for my Assault rifle class, but apparently that's prohibited? WHY? I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE IT! Why can't I name it how I want to name it?

In the end I called it Treyarchfails and it accepted it :)

-viper-

Banned
Help me please.

Why can't I join any of my UK friends in a party? Especially when I play Zombie Mode. It's really pissing me off. I can't invite anyone either.

What kind of router ports must I open? I have a Netgear router. Also, must the ports be opened on INBOUND SERVICES, OUTBOUND SERVICES, or both?

Please help!!!

Put in about 25 hours into MP so far. Like it a lot. Game is definitely more balanced. Have to say that I am already getting tired of about half the maps though. Hope DLC is on the way soon.

.nimrod

LordAlu said:
This confused me too. In MW I could choose Assault as a title for my Assault rifle class, but apparently that's prohibited? WHY? I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE IT! Why can't I name it how I want to name it?)
Ass.

W1SSY

LordAlu said:
Yeah, I pretty much figured I'd have to try and use smoke and leg it down there to try and trigger the checkpoint. I just gave up for today. 2 hours of the same crap over and over again wore me down.
The same thing happened to me the other day. I didn't have any smoke and ended up spending countless hours trying and not getting a checkpoint. Finally beat it by rushing the first two guys and then clearing the first room mainly with grenades. Then the second hallway I rushed in because I think enemies just keep respawning. Just wait till you get to the trenches.

LordAlu

.nimrod said:
I know that's the offence.

However, I don't understand why it prohibits me naming my class however I want to, when I am the only one who will see it? I could understand it if my class name was broadcast in some way to team mates or opposition players, but it is not public in any way, so why should it stop me from naming my class how I want to name it?

W1SSY said:
The same thing happened to me the other day. I didn't have any smoke and ended up spending countless hours trying and not getting a checkpoint. Finally beat it by rushing the first two guys and then clearing the first room mainly with grenades. Then the second hallway I rushed in because I think enemies just keep respawning. Just wait till you get to the trenches.
The first two guys are easy, and I can get through the next room without too much of an issue, it's just the corridor that always gets me. I might just start throwing grenades all the time to try and distract them.

Mik2121

LordAlu said:
I know that's the offence.

However, I don't understand why it prohibits me naming my class however I want to, when I am the only one who will see it? I could understand it if my class name was broadcast in some way to team mates or opposition players, but it is not public in any way, so why should it stop me from naming my class how I want to name it?
Ass

Wow, some people get waaaay to angry with these sorts of games. I just got some hate mail for "spamming" the knife :lol I'm ever so sorry that you kept returning to the same sniping spot, dude, and didn't have the foresight to set up a camera or even just periodically check your surroundings, allowing me to knife you in the back 5 or 6 times.

X26

Banned
Just how useless are sniper rifles in blops? Well, I've been killed 1,746 times sofar, 19 times by sniper rifles o_O

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
X26 said:
Just how useless are sniper rifles in blops? Well, I've been killed 1,746 times sofar, 19 times by sniper rifles o_O

Twice for me. Maybe once, i think one of them might have been a long shot with an AR.

Top Bottom