• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Weenerz

Banned
McBacon said:
Why can't they just make something nice like this?

Wn9U0.jpg
:lol

Xater

Najaf said:
I love how you cannot name a custom class "assault", but they let you drop Nazi or Naz1 into your clan tag. Really people?

You can't? Because I have named one of my classes "ASSAULT" (all capital) without a problem. I am playing on the PS3 btw.

Dresden

X26 said:
Just how useless are sniper rifles in blops? Well, I've been killed 1,746 times sofar, 19 times by sniper rifles o_O
Yeah, sniping still kinda blows. My KDR doubles when I stop sniping and grab my FN-FAL.

Weenerz

Banned
:lol This guy just called in one of those big planes with the airstrike and took out our entire team on nuketown in a TDM. Was hilarious.

paskowitz

Dresden said:
Yeah, sniping still kinda blows. My KDR doubles when I stop sniping and grab my FN-FAL.

You have to go PSG1 w/ high powered scope. Scavenger Pro, Scout Pro, and Ninja Pro. With the motion sensor as your equipment. On any large map like Jungle or Array I absolutely destroy. Obvious on maps like Grid sniping is basically useless. It all depends on the map.

.nimrod

Just got the Death Machine in a care package, and holy shit that thing is devastating :O
You're basically a walking Chopper Gunner :lol

Dresden

sweetfish said:
I feel so bad for using: SAM Turret, Care package, Sentry Gun + Hardline Pro

It's too good of a combination. :lol
It's pretty cheap. Resetting just the care package would've been enough.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
.nimrod said:
Just got the Death Machine in a care package, and holy shit that thing is devastating :O
You're basically a walking Chopper Gunner :lol
Yeah I got one earlier thinking "dammit, I don't want this crap." Then I went on a rampage of like 8 kills straight. :lol It's on my file share but it won't appear online for some reason.

UFRA

Weenerz said:
How do you reset care packages?

You need Hardline Pro.

Once you have that, you either hold the button to pick up the care package if you want that item, OR you double tap the same button to reset it to a different item, and then you're stuck with that one.

Wow, the bunny hop + drop shotting shit is getting annoying. Though it is funny to see a bitch try to drop shot a flame thrower. They need to add some kind of shooting delay when you pull that shit.

X26

Banned
Mr Sandman said:
Wow, the bunny hop + drop shotting shit is getting annoying. Though it is funny to see a bitch try to drop shot a flame thrower. They need to add some kind of shooting delay when you pull that shit.

there is a delay when you do the dive

not seeing much in the way of bunny hopping, kind of pointless given how low you jump

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, the best campaign in COD series confirmed. Miles better than MW1 which I've considered the best one until now.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Kyoufu said:
Where are you when I need you? lol :(

haha :)

live: soetfisk
If you want to party sometime, in Sweden though.

Also, it has been said, but they really have to fix matchmaking. Our party has played 1 game in almost 2 hours. :(

Just finished the SP. Overall, I'm disappointed. I thought that Treyarch would take note from the Modern Warfare games and bring their own thing to it, but I found it was more a mix of their old game design and bad copying of IW's finest moments.

It was solid and enjoyable but there was no edge. Nothing impacted me like experiencing the AC-130 mission, dying in the nuclear blast, having to witness the Russian airport slaughtered or seeing America in tatters as the country is attacked. There were one or two dicey moments, like the
game of Russian roulette in Vietnam
but even that wasn't too shocking. Infinity Ward knew how to shock me and push the envelope in some way, there was nothing like that here.

I also feel that IW do pacing better than Treyarch. The narrative structure made the game too disjointed. I know that IW games jump around different theatres of war and whatnot, but it was jarring to be in the middle of a mission in Vietnam, get flashed back to the interrogation room, then be 15 minutes ahead in the mission. It felt more like playing the greatest hits of a war rather than fighting through all of the action myself. There were also long stretches where you were just shooting guys. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid to say about an FPS, but I felt that every 3-5 minutes IW always threw something unique at you, whereas this was a lot more reliant on clearing out room after room, and throwing in some mechanics you'd already done in MW/2.

Also, I found the story to be even more ridiculous than the ones in the MW franchise. Yes, those are over-the-top and Michael Bay influenced, but nothing was as far-fetched or unsatisfying as
you being brainwashed and imagining your sidekick that isn't really there for half of the game
. I'll take a rogue US official orchestrating a war over that.

This may read like a fanboy IW post, but I did have high hopes for this game and it just doesn't have that edge or excitement that the Modern Warfare games did. Treyarch took the WW2 formula and perfected it with World at War, but here they fell a long way short.

X26 said:
there is a delay when you do the dive

not seeing much in the way of bunny hopping, kind of pointless given how low you jump
Not diving, drop shotting. Bunny hopping is not that annoying, just when they jump sideways and go prone *and* get a recoil deduction (from proning?). I am starting to aim at peoples' legs it's getting that ridiculous.

PC version, can't speak for the others (yet).

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
Just finished the SP. Overall, I'm disappointed. I thought that Treyarch would take note from the Modern Warfare games and bring their own thing to it, but I found it was more a mix of their old game design and bad copying of IW's finest moments.

It was solid and enjoyable but there was no edge. Nothing impacted me like experiencing the AC-130 mission, dying in the nuclear blast, having to witness the Russian airport slaughtered or seeing America in tatters as the country is attacked. There were one or two dicey moments, like the
game of Russian roulette in Vietnam
but even that wasn't too shocking. Infinity Ward knew how to shock me and push the envelope in some way, there was nothing like that here.

I also feel that IW do pacing better than Treyarch. The narrative structure made the game too disjointed. I know that IW games jump around different theatres of war and whatnot, but it was jarring to be in the middle of a mission in Vietnam, get flashed back to the interrogation room, then be 15 minutes ahead in the mission. It felt more like playing the greatest hits of a war rather than fighting through all of the action myself. There were also long stretches where you were just shooting guys. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid to say about an FPS, but I felt that every 3-5 minutes IW always threw something unique at you, whereas this was a lot more reliant on clearing out room after room, and throwing in some mechanics you'd already done in MW/2.

Also, I found the story to be even more ridiculous than the ones in the MW franchise. Yes, those are over-the-top and Michael Bay influenced, but nothing was as far-fetched or unsatisfying as
you being brainwashed and imagining your sidekick that isn't really there for half of the game
. I'll take a rogue US official orchestrating a war over that.

This may read like a fanboy IW post, but I did have high hopes for this game and it just doesn't have that edge or excitement that the Modern Warfare games did. Treyarch took the WW2 formula and perfected it with World at War, but here they fell a long way short.

America being invaded by Russia without anybody else noticing is more realistic?

NinjaFridge said:
America being invaded by Russia without anybody else noticing is more realistic?
It was more plausibe that a piece of stolen technology could help that happen. I'm not saying that's realistic in the SLIGHTEST, but compared to
brainwashing
I'm more willing to buy it.

NinjaFridge said:

Yeah, I mean as a SP CoD campaign Black Ops was pretty good. The fact that its plot is coherent is a plus in my book. I honestly had no idea what the fuck was going on in MW2.

NinjaFridge said:

Who cares if it's realistic? It was a nice change of pace from the Middle-East/Russian environments found in most modern shooters today. Like that poster said, seeing Washington DC in ruins was pretty interesting, and the battle to retake the White House was incredibly fun.

IW did a great job of making the Washington DC levels feel like an actual war. I couldn't care less if it makes sense in real life.

Jack Scofield said:
Who cares if it's realistic? It was a nice change of pace from the Middle-East/Russian environments found in most modern shooters today. Like that poster said, seeing Washington DC in ruins was pretty interesting, and the battle to retake the White House was incredibly fun.

IW did a great job of making the Washington DC levels feel like an actual war. I could care less if it makes sense in real life.
I think the location plays a big part of why I find this SP disappointing. The Russian levels were nothing new, and the Vietnam sections weren't as horrendous and gritty as they should've been. It felt like a WW2 design with the Vietnam setting pasted on top of it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
It was more plausibe that a piece of stolen technology could help that happen. I'm not saying that's realistic in the SLIGHTEST, but compared to
brainwashing

You can
brainwash
a person like it was made in Black Ops. There are techniques for that. While Russia attacking America is as possible as China solving its overpopulation issue by mass firing squad executions.

Foliorum Viridum said:
brainwashing

Yeah, but the spoiler is more in line with the whole 60's cold war/spy motif they have going. I mean the CIA and KGB did some crazy experiments back in the cold war with psychics and all that. Is it plausible? No. But it's easier to swallow than the Red Dawn scenario in MW2. I honestly liked when IW and Treyarch focused on actual conflicts, though. Now it seems like the CoD series is a Michael Bay film in video game form.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
brainwashing

You're willing to buy an impossible scenario where not one country bothers to tell America that some crazy shit is on the way, that nobody notices the entire Russian army preparing for a massive war, but you're not willing to buy brainwashing ala MK ULTRA was successful?

subversus said:
You can
brainwash
a person like it was made in Black Ops. There are techniques for that. While Russia attacking America is as possible as China solving its overpopulation issue by mass firing squad executions.
Okay, maybe "far-fetched" was the wrong term to use. I know that
brainwashing
can happen, but it just didn't seem like an interesting narrative device. When it was revealed I just groaned, whereas the narrative devices used to explain the war in MW2 were equally as far-fetched but didn't annoy me because the pay-off was better.

I was just rambling as the credits were rolling in that post, so it wasn't the most articulate pieces of prose. :lol

X26

Banned
The thing BO has over the other (non-ww2) cod campaigns is anticipation. You want to keep going and find out more about what's going on with mason and what the numbers mean. In the other games there's nothing like that.

Not necessarily a good or bad thing either way, but it does set it apart

One thing that does annoy me about the game, though I think it's probably more to do with where I'm standing.

Opponent's view (I'm under the arch furthest left).

annoying.jpg

My view...

annoying2.jpg

Feels like I'm in cover behind the wall and still getting shot. Maybe I just need to get used to where I'm standing...

X26 said:
The thing BO has over the other (non-ww2) cod campaigns is anticipation. You want to keep going and find out more about what's going on with mason and what the numbers mean. In the other games there's nothing like that.

Not necessarily a good or bad thing either way, but it does set it apart
:lol That's exactly why I kept playing the whole campaign in a few sittings. Other CoDs the story kind of bores me, so it might take me a week or two to finally complete the sp, but on this one I just wanted to know wtf was going on. I enjoyed it.

witness

I'm really enjoying this game, its by far my favorite in the series. I unlocked the Stoner63 gun and wow its pretty freaking awesome. I'm also surprised how good and how much I enjoy using the AK74U, great gun.

The file share system is nice, Treyarch really hit it out of the park.

NinjaFridge said:
You're willing to buy an impossible scenario where not one country bothers to tell America that some crazy shit is on the way, that nobody notices the entire Russian army preparing for a massive war, but you're not willing to buy brainwashing ala MK ULTRA was successful?
See my previous post for clarification on what I meant, but that was an interesting read. Thanks!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
Okay, maybe "far-fetched" was the wrong term to use. I know that
brainwashing
can happen, but it just didn't seem like an interesting narrative device. When it was revealed I just groaned, whereas the narrative devices used to explain the war in MW2 were equally as far-fetched but didn't annoy me because the pay-off was better.

I was just rambling as the credits were rolling in that post, so it wasn't the most articulate pieces of prose. :lol

Hope you didn't miss the awesome video at the end of the credits!

W1SSY

sweetfish said:
I feel so bad for using: SAM Turret, Care package, Sentry Gun + Hardline Pro

It's too good of a combination. :lol
I prefer care package, chopper gunner, and dogs with hardline pro. I love watching guys flee into houses away from my chopper only to get killed by the dogs.

slamskank

Draft said:
This game's pretty gross. I thought the graphic throat slitting was bad, but then some guy in the VC tunnels had his hand blown off by my magnum. He was rolling around for a few seconds, and the fleshy mess at the end of his former hand were wiggling and jiggling. Nasty. :lol
Yeah, the over the top dismemberments remind me a lot of solder of fortune, I actually like it haha. Would be rad if it was in MP.

I think that if you deploy a UAV/Spyplane, and your teammates get a kill while it's up in the air-you should get a small xp bonus. Maybe +10 or so-maybe that would encourage more people to use the Spyplane as opposed to the RCXD?

sflufan

Banned
I counted these films as influences on CODBLOPS:

The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
The Manchurian Candidate

Did I miss any? :D

Top Bottom