• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Jrmint

Trumpet909 said:
Unfortunately yes.
I don't know if I'll be prestiging this time around. Those challenges to get the pro versions of the perks are much more involved than the MW2 ones. I am working on Ghost currently, and trying to shoot down every spy plane I see. But I still have set to see a single turret to knife.

There is some really messed up things this game does in regards to your saved films.

I got a bank shot tomahawk kill from halfway across Grid. When I go to look at the saved film, its only the first 12 seconds of the game. Also, some games dont even show up in the Recent games list.

RAAAAAAAAAGE

Effect

I normally play shooters on the Wii due to the controllers but I realize I can't keep doing that. Well I don't want to keep doing that. My skills with an analog controller are somewhat bad to be honest. I can do okay for the most part if I take my time but that isn't going to be possible with a CoD game I believe. The last controller based FPS I played was Killzone 2 and that took a while and on lower difficulties settings. Got to the very end battle but never finished. So I figure I'm only going to get better if I practice more and stop ignoring games due to the controller.

How is the tutorial aspect of the game? Is it decent enough that it takes into consideration someone might be brand new to FPS (not my situation but just curious) games? Or does the game try to teach controls during the story mode the way CoD tried to I believe?

I returned my copy of the Wii version today after some further thought. Thinking more here I'd rather not trade visuals for this game if I get it. Would be the PS3 version so I don't have to pay for online.

Thanks.

Different COD, but I'm stuck on Charlie Don't Surf on Hardened difficulty in the big TV room. When I sprint to the corner that all the YouTube videos show you should do, I die from bullets and RPGs outside of the room and die from grenades inside the room. I've had better luck surviving longer staying inside the rooms on the left and usually die from grenades. I've tried this over 10 times and I'm thinking of screwing the SP, MP has to be easier than this.

Skel said:
I don't know if I'll be prestiging this time around. Those challenges to get the pro versions of the perks are much more involved than the MW2 ones. I am working on Ghost currently, and trying to shoot down every spy plane I see. But I still have set to see a single turret to knife.

I'm thinking the exact same thing-which sucks because I really want those extra class slots...

Effect said:
I normally play shooters on the Wii due to the controllers but I realize I can't keep doing that. Well I don't want to keep doing that. My skills with an analog controller are somewhat bad to be honest. I can do okay for the most part if I take my time but that isn't going to be possible with a CoD game I believe. The last controller based FPS I played was Killzone 2 and that took a while and on lower difficulties settings. Got to the very end battle but never finished. So I figure I'm only going to get better if I practice more and stop ignoring games due to the controller.

How is the tutorial aspect of the game? Is it decent enough that it takes into consideration someone might be brand new to FPS (not my situation but just curious) games? Or does the game try to teach controls during the story mode the way CoD tried to I believe?

I returned my copy of the Wii version today after some further thought. Thinking more here I'd rather not trade visuals for this game if I get it. Would be the PS3 version so I don't have to pay for online.

Thanks.

There is a mode where you can play against bots & change the difficulty with them.

MDavis360 said:
I'm thinking the exact same thing-which sucks because I really want those extra class slots...

My plan is to just roll with Hardline Pro, Slight of Hand Pro, and Second Chance Pro until I reach a prestige where I feel fine stopping. Trying to get ghost and some of the others were just too annoying to do every round, even with trying to give the enemy my Sentry Gun killstreak reward.

Belfast

sflufan said:
I counted these films as influences on CODBLOPS:

The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
The Manchurian Candidate

Did I miss any? :D

A Beautiful Mind... sorta. And that movie had Ed Harris in it!

Belfast

JbOge.png

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
RustyNails said:
Was Mason responsible for JFK's assassination?
:(

I think so, Dragovich implies it when you strangle him

Mik2121

yY0lz.jpg

Pretty common I know. But at least it's not Pacman. Give me some time to get all the layers unlocked and a few extra parts, and I'll post some much better stuff :_D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Skel said:

Seems like the only reason anyone deploys a turret is if they get it out of a crate.

firehawk12 said:
Seems like the only reason anyone deploys a turret is if they get it out of a crate.
what! Turrets are awesome! nobody expects them so they destroy waves of people, id love to have 2 up on nuketown facing away from each-other :lol

Some of the perks seem worthless like the Gas mask one, I think im the only person to even use nova gas and the rest you don't even care about.

Nvm, retard got confused by hardline pro :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Johnlenham said:
what! Turrets are awesome! nobody expects them so they destroy waves of people, id love to have 2 up on nuketown facing away from each-other :lol

Some of the perks seem worthless like the Gas mask one, I think im the only person to even use nova gas and the rest you don't even care about.

Oh and another thing, some guy on my friends list reconed that if you complete all the chalenges of a kill streak you get an upgraded version.. his example was care package, if its trash like ammo you can hold a button to "re roll" it to get something else. Wondered if he was chatting shit or not.
Hardline Pro lets you reroll care packages.

Myomoto

Johnlenham said:

I'm just so sad that your character doesn't even wear a gas mask when you have it equipped. Also the fact that you start screaming "GAS INCOMING!" like a maniac every half second while you're in the gas seems kinda janky. The pro version on the other hand seems pretty good, since it reveals people affected by gas, flash and concussion grenades on your map. Very handy to know which corner the guy you just gassed is hiding in.

So I unlock sleight of hand pro, use it for quite awhile, go in to change my setup, and notice somehow I didn't complete all the requirements to unlock it. I change perks, try to go back, and now it's just regular sleight of hand.

Dammit.

Also, the requirements for some of these are so, so bad. Marathon- 15 flag caps and 10 first bloods? That takes an extraordinary amount of skill/luck, it should have been 5.

RustyNails said:
Now I'm feeling so down and depressed because of that implication...

Except here's the thing... Mason yells out in Revelations that Oswald is compromised, but Oswald is still arrested... perhaps Oswald still carried it out and Mason was just a back up. That's what I'm running with, I hope Mason didn't kill JFK.

I'm hoping for a sequel. I wonder what kind of insane shenanigans these guys will get up to in the 70s. The computer in the menu apparently has some messages about what happens down the line? Plus, Reznov (who is still awesome) could always come back to visit Mason... you never know. He does seem a lot like a coping mechanism.

I really liked Reznov's role in this game. One of my favourite moments in the game, while it might seem cliched, is when Mason stumbles into that room and there's Reznov on all the televisions. By that point I'd figured it out, but it was still interesting.

sflufan said:
I counted these films as influences on CODBLOPS:

The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
The Manchurian Candidate

Did I miss any?

Fight Club

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Except here's the thing... Mason yells out in Revelations that Oswald is compromised, but Oswald is still arrested... perhaps Oswald still carried it out and Mason was just a back up. That's what I'm running with, I hope Mason didn't kill JFK.

I'm hoping for a sequel. I wonder what kind of insane shenanigans these guys will get up to in the 70s. The computer in the menu apparently has some messages about what happens down the line? Plus, Reznov (who is still awesome) could always come back to visit Mason... you never know. He does seem a lot like a coping mechanism.

I really liked Reznov's role in this game. One of my favourite moments in the game, while it might seem cliched, is when Mason stumbles into that room and there's Reznov on all the televisions. By that point I'd figured it out, but it was still interesting.
That's well and good but even being accessory to such a crime is depressing. I know he was brainwashed by the communists and all, and even tried resisting their efforts. Its still kinda sad. Yeah Reznov was super awesome. The prison breakout from the Russian Gulag has to be one of the most memorable scenes for me.

Belfast

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Fight Club

I think I had it figured out when Reznov "suddenly appears" in Vietnam and neither Woods nor Bowman seems to even notice or care that he's there. They don't speak to him, though it seems like they hear him at one point, but Mason just repeats the line, implying that it was he who said it in the first place and not Reznov.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Single player is pretty decent so far.

Was very pissed at myself and the game for not really clarifying what you had to do in S.O.G.

The part where you fighting down the hill and have to knock the napalm barrels over. Took me a half hour of constant dying to figure out what you had to do. I kept thinking you just had to make your way down to the trenches, it wasn't until I actually started paying attention the conservation between Woods and the Marines that I noticed that. Poor design on Treyarch at this part.

Belfast said:
I think I had it figured out when Reznov "suddenly appears" in Vietnam and neither Woods nor Bowman seems to even notice or care that he's there. They don't speak to him, though it seems like they hear him at one point, but Mason just repeats the line, implying that it was he who said it in the first place and not Reznov.

I began to figure it out in the rat tunnels, and when no one ever acknowledged him, I got pretty paranoid :lol There are quite a few details that point to him not being there. The numbers play when he's around (though they sometimes play when he isn't, the body of the real defector is in the same room that you first meet him in, and in the level where you kill Steiner, when you kill a man and take his AK, Reznov all of a sudden has an AK.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I began to figure it out in the rat tunnels, and when no one ever acknowledged him.
And then the other guy in the tunnel says "what the hell is wrong with you?" to Mason. It probably looked like he was conversating with himself. :lol

RedSwirl

For some reason I started thinking back to COD2 Big Red One. Is it madness if I call that the second best Treyarch COD game?

Jrmint

Reading about all these Nazi and Swastika icons I don't know why Treyarch allowed you to create your own emblems in this game.

One of my favorite features in MW2 was all the unlockable icons and designs for your playercard. It added so much additional intrigue to completing certain challenges. I really wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of that.

Seems like one of those things that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

iNvid02

Skel said:
Reading about all these Nazi and Swastika icons I don't know why Treyarch allowed you to create your own emblems in this game.

One of my favorite features in MW2 was all the unlockable icons and designs for your playercard. It added so much additional intrigue to completing certain challenges. I really wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of that.

you cant take away a good idea just because a few retards abuse it, and there are some pre-made backgrounds for your card, but you can just make the emblem bit

Biff

PSG1 shot to the chest 30 feet away. Hit marker, no 1 shot kill :lol

Oooookay Treyarch. Let's go with that :/

Aggrotek

Koroshi said:
And then the other guy in the tunnel says "what the hell is wrong with you?" to Mason. It probably looked like he was conversating with himself. :lol
During that part I thought he was just getting mad cuz I wasn't moving. :lol I was just sitting there texting. So I assumed he was getting pissed.

Kyoufu said:
Yeah definitely not doing prestige. I will keep my pro perks thanks!

They didn't give enough incentive imo, yeah there are a few things at the end but I'm not going to be playing this long enough to prestige 14 times to see it. A new nameplate ain't worth it.

Mikey Jr.

Skel said:

Aren't there swastikas in nazi zombies?

RS4-

Damnit, was running a good score on nuketown and got a few challenges completed then some asshole scrub mod kicked me from the server.
:lol

Top Bottom