• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can accept that. But I'll just go with what I'm familiar with and what doesn't make me angry in my downtime, lol

edit: You don't have to edit, I'm not very confrontational :)

Y2Kev said:
I don't play for a ton of time, so my sample is small, but I never spawned in front of the person who just killed me in MW2. This happens regularly to me in BO. Especially (well, primarily, since i get it ALL THE TIME) on Array.

Array is the map that WingsofRedemption posted a video about (he posted about the whole spawn system, but array was showcased). I get the feeling it's the main offender in the whole spawn fuck up.

KJTB

Me and my friends tried to get into a game 8 times in a row only to have the "party is no longer active" BS pop up.

Starting to get really frustrated

SP was less fun than i hoped. they could have done so much more with the theme
and with that kind of twist, which also was super heavy-handedly alluded to throughout the game

I guess when I heard the name was 'black ops', and since Treyarch previously did 'historical' CODs, i thought it was going to be about real operations of black ops, throughout history (starting from 1940's or even earlier and finishing in modern times). The fact that the story was about
yet another russian who wants to destroy the US by means of a plan a 5 year old could concoct was very disappointing :/
First mission was totally the right direction, then it fizzled, and ended sucking.

Scarecrow

harriet the spy said:
SP was less fun than i hoped. they could have done so much more with the theme
and with that kind of twist, which also was super heavy-handedly alluded to throughout the game

I guess when I heard the name was 'black ops', and since Treyarch previously did 'historical' CODs, i thought it was going to be about real operations of black ops, throughout history (starting from 1940's or even earlier and finishing in modern times). The fact that the story was about
yet another russian who wants to destroy the US by means of a plan a 5 year old could concoct was very disappointing :/
First mission was totally the right direction, then it fizzled, and ended sucking.
Perhaps Black Ops 2 will be better. They still have another 20 years of cold war shenanigans to explore.

Dennis

Banned
I simply cannot believe the respawning enemies and super-restricted linear corridor gameplay in 2010.

Is it really not possible to design the game without respawn? Halo does it. Crysis did it. Are people actually fond of this gameplay? I don't understand....

And the restricted game enviroment....*sigh*.....its almost literally a corridor. BFBC2 was a lot more open. Again, do people really prefer this?

Its god damn infuriating is what it is. The setting and premise are great, if only they had gotten rid of the respawn and the corridor....

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but
does anyone think that a level left on the design table was the player playing as Oswald during the JFK assassination?
I feel like it was probably shelved but was definitely on the table if not at least discussed by the designers. If it has been discussed in this thread then let me know cuz I would love to know what people think.

Stripper13 said:
Fail. Seriously. At least give the game a try - the graphics are a little off in some areas (gun models like the M16 look like BC2... cartoonish or bland). Otherwise, it's a superior game to MW2 in every way IMO. The party system, spawn bugs etc are all straight out of MW2... so if you could enjoy that, or it didn't bother you all that much - then Black Ops won't either. More importantly, the game plays so much nicer than MW2 due to the balance improvements and currency/customisation system that makes you invested in your weapons.

Really? The spawn issues make it a 'decent' attempt? It's really starting to sound like the people bitching or putting the game down are really holding Treyarch to unrealistic expectations. Modern Warfare 2 was a glitchy, unbalanced mess of a game that seen some improvements over several months. The only thing it clearly outdid Black Ops in was the graphics/image quality... and possibly the sound on some weapons, footsteps etc. MW2 had the exact same issues with spawns as anyone else was having... and for anyone complaining about Nuketown, you need to go and have a match on Rust in MW2 to see the meaning of unfair spawns. If you don't spawn on top of a MLC knifer, or Noob Tuber, you are getting spawn camped by 1-3 people on the top of the building, or have someone spawn directly behind you 2 seconds after you kill them. Nuketown is an improvement if nothing else, as you can quite easily make it into the house, or into the garage on the side of the map, or even into the caravan/van/bus things in the middle for alittle extra safety. Killstreaks of course are an issue on that map, but no worse than MW2 was on many of its maps due to the constant death from above in that game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I was a huge fan of MW1, hated WaW, really enjoyed MW2 despite its issues (the tubing became too much and I had to stop)... and Black Ops is easily the best FPS I've played (besides Reach) for a long, long time. It plays almost exactly like MW1/2 without the quickscoping, knifing, killstreak-rape, UMP45 bullshit. And to top it all off, it's the most feature rich CoD game by a mile, with some of the best designed maps I've played.

I disagree. The game is utter fail on many levels. Spawning in MW2 was bad while in black ops it's atrocious. Hit detection is absolute garbage. Sound effects are equally bad. Removing stopping power was just idiotic (they should have at least made given every gun the stopping power equivalent instead of taking it out entirely). Knifing is just as bad as before because your guns are powerful to put people down as they lunge (and the lunge range is crazy). Nuketown, Nuketown, Nuketown. Giving players the option to play the previous map again was dumb. It results in 5 games of Nuketown in a row. Please don't compare this to MW1, it was superior to this. I applaud their attempt to try to balance the game but it's not hard to take the criticism from the previous game in the series and make design the game from there.

The maps are a disaster with 4 ways into every building. You never feel like you have your back to a wall encouraging run and gun twitch game play.

DennisK4 said:
I simply cannot believe the respawning enemies and super-restricted linear corridor gameplay in 2010.

Is it really not possible to design the game without respawn? Halo does it. Crysis did it. Are people actually fond of this gameplay? I don't understand....

And the restricted game enviroment....*sigh*.....its almost literally a corridor. BFBC2 was a lot more open. Again, do people really prefer this?

Its god damn infuriating is what it is. The setting and premise are great, if only they had gotten rid of the respawn and the corridor....

I do not and no matter how good a story is in a game I won't keep playing if the game is shit. The campaign design is dreadful.

Druz said:
Even ignoring the optimization issues the game was pretty poorly made for PC.

Does this surprise anyone?

Druz

Sad when arguments begin with "Ahem well this is/isn't a fail, good sir!"

Throwing my DISLIKE BLACK OPS vote into the ring. Even ignoring the optimization issues the game was pretty poorly made for PC.

MetalAlien said:
I almost never play the single player games. I got to burger town on MW2 but stopped there. I only play these games for the multiplayer.

Loved COD2, 3 was ok, LOVED MW1, fucking hated COD5, loved MW2, hate black ops with a passion.

I have learned my lesson. I only hope that MW3 is good since Infinity Ward is no more.

I thankfully only rented blacks ops so I am only out 9 bucks. I am returning it a day early.

Agreed with one exception, I skipped WaW after COD3.

dustin

Neo Member
should we have a separate thread for all things theater? kinda like how there's a thread for halo screenshots/videos from theater and forge

Dunno if this has already been posted, but I was amused:

comiccallofduty1.png

Can't believe I'm saying this but I went back to MW2. The bullet lag in BOps is terrible. I rarely win any one on ones and it takes nearly a hole clip to kill someone when I do. Had a rage quit that nearly broke my controller and headset all in one. This game, at the moment, is not worth the stress. Multiple times I have my red dot or iron sites centered on someone and I am just unloading on them and they get the kill with what seems like one shot. Watch the kill cam and they are just spraying all over the g@d damn place and get the kill. WTF!!!

First game back in MW2 no bullet lag and massive amounts of kills. That lets me know it's not my connection. Hopefully Trearc gets this game working properly because there is a lot to like about Blops but the lag and spawns are game killers for me right now.

On the Steam forums I found a simple tweak that worked for me and solved my fps drops and stuttering in SP, may work for you as well if you're having the stutter problem. All you do is enable v-sync, and turn shadows completely off. Getting a solid 60 now, whereas before I was dropping into the low 20s every few seconds. I've found that I can also turn off v-sync and remain in the 60s-90s, as long as I keep shadows off. My specs are i5-760 + MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB OC.

Played local four player Nazi Zombies last night until 5AM this morning. It was my first time. The last round we played was the farthest we got surviving 20 rounds. I'm surprised we bested ourselves seeing as I was getting shivers from exhaustion and was nauseous from drinking nothing but beer and Red Bull for 11 hours. Was fun, but not play all night fun.

SmokeMaxX

maximum360 said:
I disagree. The game is utter fail on many levels. Spawning in MW2 was bad while in black ops it's atrocious. Hit detection is absolute garbage. Sound effects are equally bad. Removing stopping power was just idiotic (they should have at least made given every gun the stopping power equivalent instead of taking it out entirely). Knifing is just as bad as before because your guns are powerful to put people down as they lunge (and the lunge range is crazy). Nuketown, Nuketown, Nuketown. Giving players the option to play the previous map again was dumb. It results in 5 games of Nuketown in a row. Please don't compare this to MW1, it was superior to this. I applaud their attempt to try to balance the game but it's not hard to take the criticism from the previous game in the series and make design the game from there.

The maps are a disaster with 4 ways into every building. You never feel like you have your back to a wall encouraging run and gun twitch game play.
...And all of that is patchable?

Also, I wish IW could unpatch the Javelin glitch, care package sprinters, and the Akimbo 1887s since you're comparing patched MW2 (which still sucks) to unpatched Black Ops (where the main complaints are things that are easily patchable).

Najaf

bigjimmystyle said:
Whats the etiquette with care packages?

If it drops and nobody is around, fair game after ~20 seconds. If you see its owner get killed, then you kill his killer, its all yours. If it drops on top of the guy who called it in, take it because he did not deserve it. *j/k* Wait for him to come back if he spawns close.

Ramirez

Alienshogun said:
Either pull the trigger and immediately release then pull again to detonate, or hold it down then release when you want it to explode.

You're effectively detonating it in your face.

As for it still being there, I believe it death machine, and grim reaper are all ones you keepm until you use up.

I have used it a ton and never had that happen...it didn't matter if I held the trigger down, or released it, I got the same result every time, not to mention the ammo wasn't going down, I had the same amount every time I respawned for a good 8 minutes.

bigjimmystyle said:

I usually don't go for an allies care package unless they call it out that they're going for hardline-pro. If its ammo, spy-plane, counter-spy...I usually re-roll it for them if I beat them too it :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
How can anyone prefer the shitfest that is MW2 multi over Black Ops is truly beyond me. That game is a cesspool of crap, really. :lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Najaf said:
If it drops and nobody is around, fair game after ~20 seconds. If you see its owner get killed, then you kill his killer, its all yours. If it drops on top of the guy who called it in, take it because he did not deserve it. *j/k* Wait for him to come back if he spawns close.
I hated getting killed by my own care package in MW2, felt like a tool everytime it happened.

Ramirez

Relix said:
How can anyone prefer the shitfest that is MW2 multi over Black Ops is truly beyond me. That game is a cesspool of crap, really. :lol

I'm assuming some of them miss the infinite noobtubes, commando, and killstreaks out the wazoo, I dunno. It felt like in MW2 I rarely ever died to someone shooting their gun, which is the opposite in BO, I rarely die to tubes/killstreaks and mostly just get killed by people actually shooting their gun.

Weenerz

Banned
I was all for prestiging, until I went for hardline pro and warlord pro. Fuck that.

Took forever to get my teammates to steam my crates.

Menelaus

Banned
bloodforge said:
I never grab it if the guy that threw it is still standing near, if he runs away, fair game.
It takes twice as long for someone to take one that's not theirs, so it should be fair game no matter what. Better someone on your team get it than an enemy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ugh, it is so damn frustrating that you cannot get in any matches if you have a party with you. Our party of 4 has played 2 actual games in an hour and a half. The rest of the time is spent getting dumped and rejoining party leaders.

Weenerz said:
I was all for prestiging, until I went for hardline pro and warlord pro. Fuck that.

Took forever to get my teammates to steam my crates.

I played with a friend who would always take my care packages. Otherwise, I would just call out "Please take that care package, need X more for Pro" and people would usually go for it.

Ballistik

Spawning is better in MW2. Lag is worse in Black Ops. Since I played the first match, I notice that lag does play a big role, and I feel who wins the confrontation is random sometimes. Honestly, that's something I NEVER noticed in MW2.. I could tell when I was going to win a confrontation, (Not counting commando or noob tube or the occasional lag spikes).

Ballistik said:
Spawning is better in MW2. Lag is worse in Black Ops. Since I played the first match, I notice that lag does play a big role, and I feel who wins the confrontation is random sometimes. Honestly, that's something I NEVER noticed in MW2.. I could tell when I was going to win a confrontation, (Not counting commando or noob tube or the occasional lag spikes).

All of that can be fixed on the bright side. I would wait until a couple weeks at least have gone by before writing this game off because of lag.

Ballistik

bigjimmystyle said:
I take it if it's just lying there, and if its a spy plane or counter spy plane. I only take something good if team spawns switch and its in danger of getting stolen. Similarly, I always leave spy planes and counter spy planes for my allies if i know they're safe.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yoopoo said:
Finally a gun I'm decent at, G11. Looks really goofy though...too bad there'd no red dot attachment.

Decent at? It's essentially the M16/famas from other iterations, the 3 round burst is near instant with no gaps. It's laser gun.

Ramirez said:
I have used it a ton and never had that happen...it didn't matter if I held the trigger down, or released it, I got the same result every time, not to mention the ammo wasn't going down, I had the same amount every time I respawned for a good 8 minutes.

Ah, could be lag then.

Last night I would literally ADS then try to shoot, but my gun literally would not fire.

They really need to patch these lag issues.

bdouble

zero margin said:
All of that can be fixed on the bright side. I would wait until a couple weeks at least have gone by before writing this game off because of lag.
this this this. BO >>>>MW2 because spawns and lag can be tweaked. Getting killed by constant killstreaks and one man armies in MW2 was never going to be fixed.

This is a better core game and more fun to me.

Top Bottom